Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I just want the Astros to get swept out of the division series. :pray: If that happens I'd be OK with pretty much anything, even the Dodgers winning it all.
:ck5::confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros need to win at least two more rings in the next three years to deserve this level of hate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Astros need to win at least two more rings in the next three years to deserve this level of hate.

That's not how it works

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kirios posted:

*Looks at everyone’s rooting lists*

*Looks at the Cardinals’ 2 rings in the past 36 years*

:thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cards come by it honest.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

the baseball knower has logged on

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

*Looks at everyone’s rooting lists*

*Looks at the Cardinals’ 2 rings in the past 36 years*

:thunk:

Hopefully soon to be two in the past 37 years.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Cards come by it honest.

As someone who doesn't pay attention to the NL until October, why do y'all hate the Cards so much?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Astros win it all Mattress Mack (Houston area billionaire who owns Gallery Furniture) has to refund $15 million in furniture. On the other hand, he's making a $3.5 million bet that the Astros win it all which will net him $7.7 million if they do. Plus the $15m is probably insured

Outside of Houston he's probably most famous for being made fun of on Conan when he was showing everyone what commercials are on for his show in the Houston market since it came on at like 2:30 in the morning

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

As someone who doesn't pay attention to the NL until October, why do y'all hate the Cards so much?

Well, Astros fan #1, but for me one of my best friends is a Cards guy and also the most obnoxious, rub-it-in-your-face sports fan I've ever met in my life. So every Cardinals success means I have to hear about it for months I've also had other bad experiences with the BFIB So it's not so much the team as the fans, for me. Though the Cards fans on this board seem perfectly lovely :)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cardinals fans sincerely believe that Yadier Molina is better than Mike Trout.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Patrick Spens posted:

I still irrationally hate them for 2011 and 2012.

Combined with The Best Fans in Baseball and it's easy.

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So what's the Manfred nightmare World Series? Rays/Brewers? Or would A's/Brewers be worse for ratings?

Any playoff game at the Trop is a nightmare scenario

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Patrick Spens posted:

For me personally it's partly because of division rivalry, but the majority of it being that Cardinals fans are bullies or just obnoxious around here, including family members who are Cards fans, and their obsession with every Cubs loss is quite a bit annoying.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

It is because they always beat my team, in baseball. Thank you for asking.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
The bigger question is how dare people root against this :mad::
https://twitter.com/pedromoura/status/1023653065801396225?s=20

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is because they always beat my team, in baseball. Thank you for asking.

Braves did well against them this year. I'm not afraid of the Cardinals, I am afraid of the Braves failing and my inevitable death and the destruction of the human race.

But, mostly, yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squall posted:

Braves did well against them this year. I'm not afraid of the Cardinals, I am afraid of the Braves failing and the my inevitable death and the destruction of the human race.

But, mostly, yes.

SMH at the braves organization's lack of a space for breast feeding

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The 2006 Cardinals were probably the worst team to win a World Series ever. They went 83-78 in the regular seasons and their expected winning percentage was 0.477.

The Cardinals seem to have an uncanny ability to develop players out of nowhere just when they need them, acquire good players in trade for peanuts, and generally just have odd/unexpected/flukey baseball things bounce their way. This is known as Cardinals Devil Magic.

And despite this, they STILL failed to eliminate the Giants in 2012 and 2014, so their Devil Magic wasn’t even there when I needed it!

Personally, I hate them for eliminating the Dodgers twice this decade and starting the Kershaw October Narrative.

The BFIB thing and general culture around their fandom is also loathesome. Fortunately Pancakes is good people.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 1, 2019

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pete Kozma, career slash line: .215 /.278 /.291 (.569 OPS)

Pete Kozma, 2013 NLDS slash line: .400 / .455 / .500 (.955 OPS)

That is Cardinal Devil Magic.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

The Cardinals seem to have an uncanny ability to develop players out of nowhere just when they need them, acquire good players in trade for peanuts, and generally just have odd/unexpected/flukey baseball things bounce their way. This is known as Cardinals Devil Magic.

half of this is getting a compensatory pick in every draft for no reason, the other half is hacking other teams and getting very light punishment for it

Org sucks, but the team on the field is totally fine with me, at least this season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

~*Narrative*~

https://twitter.com/mlbpipeline/status/1179055877237723137?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice of them to normalize the graphic in the tweet

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I put Astros #1 because a friend of mines a big Astro fan and I always made fun of him for being the only Astro fan in Idaho.

Dex getting another ring would be... Acceptable. I guess. Just him though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Nice of them to normalize the graphic in the tweet

This makes the Dodgers look even better by the standards fans ostensibly care about

(I don’t expect anyone to bandwagon the Dodgers because of this)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1179122844145455111

I'd be so mad

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here is a list of North American cities bigger than Toronto by population

1) Mexico City
2) New York City
3) Los Angeles

That's it. I get that baseball is always gonna be second fiddle to hockey there but there's no reason the Blue Jays shouldn't be spending to supplement their young, impact talent.

(and yeah even the smallest markets should be spending more but come on man, they're huge)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Aren't they owned by a Telco? Can't invest more money into the baseball team, that would eat into shareholder profit!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
We did once. We won back to back world series' by spending properly.

But that's where the differences lay: Paul Beeston wanted to win a world series. Rogers Media wants to expand their broadcasting.

e: it's sort of a nice little example of what's happening to baseball as a whole. Broadcasting makes all the money butts in seats used to and nobody cares that attendance is down because the cash is rolling in.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I dunno, I'd have rather known right off the bat last year than to wait for something to happen and then be told there was no money. (Cubs)

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GalacticAcid posted:

I get that baseball is always gonna be second fiddle to hockey there but there's no reason the Blue Jays shouldn't be spending to supplement their young, impact talent.

They're owned by Canadian Comcast so of course they're gonna milk every last penny of profit out of the Blue Jays.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GalacticAcid posted:

Cardinals fans sincerely believe that Yadier Molina is better than Mike Trout.

I mean, this checks out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Here is a list of North American cities bigger than Toronto by population

1) Mexico City
2) New York City
3) Los Angeles

That's it. I get that baseball is always gonna be second fiddle to hockey there but there's no reason the Blue Jays shouldn't be spending to supplement their young, impact talent.

(and yeah even the smallest markets should be spending more but come on man, they're huge)

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/1179118569864531971

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1179112389981151232

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/DSzymborski/status/1179126407550717956

I agree with Dan fwiw.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean is there a chronically struggling/underachieving team in MLB or even in all of pro sports where ownership isn't the #1 issue? Excepting tactically tanking teams I guess, but then that's only worked like twice.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Squall posted:

Braves did well against them this year. I'm not afraid of the Cardinals, I am afraid of the Braves failing and my inevitable death and the destruction of the human race.

But, mostly, yes.

gently caress the Braves from a historic former-NL team perspective

but the actual Braves roster now is cool

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wait the Jays are cutting payroll? I was unaware they had any significant payroll to speak of

e: they were 22nd in payroll this year. I guess it's not Rays low though

lol the Rays making the playoffs with their payroll is going to make some teams do stupid things isn't it?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It means Smoak is gone 100% and probably Gritchuk if they can offload that contract!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 1, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Wait the Jays are cutting payroll? I was unaware they had any significant payroll to speak of

e: they were 22nd in payroll this year. I guess it's not Rays low though

lol the Rays making the playoffs with their payroll is going to make some teams do stupid things isn't it?

The "I didn't read Moneyball but I did read the blurb on the back" school of roster management

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

I dunno, I'd have rather known right off the bat last year than to wait for something to happen and then be told there was no money. (Cubs)

Cubs have the second highest payroll in baseball this year and are about a hair's breath away from hitting the luxury tax penalties that start losing them draft picks.

Like don't get me wrong gently caress the Ricketts, but it's weird to me that people say they cheaped out when in reality they handed Theo a massive payroll and he squandered the poo poo out of it on guys like Morrow, Chatwood, and Heyward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1179130195422437383

:mets: