Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Someone is just probably trying to organize and oust the current board and doesn't have contact info for everyone in the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably

Hell Gem

Spikes32 posted:

Someone is just probably trying to organize and oust the current board and doesn't have contact info for everyone in the community.

You may be right. I checked Nextdoor and someone is extremely mad about the lack of assigned parking and trying to sue lol.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Private Speech posted:

As an actual question are there any more open-minded HOAs, where everything I've listed above goes, that are in nice neighbourhoods and still take care of common expenses?

Ours is fairly open. We don't go "out" to look for crap. About everyone knows to take care of their property and there is always code enforcement to handle the outliers.

I lived here for ten years, I got "dinged" once for failure of operational front lawn light. I think that was in my first year of living here.

But yeah, getting dinged 5 times in a year would make my blood boil.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Private Speech posted:

As an actual question are there any more open-minded HOAs, where everything I've listed above goes, that are in nice neighbourhoods and still take care of common expenses?
Without everything you listed? Probably not many. I’ve seen quite a few that only have one or two of those things, like “no parking in the street” or “no short term rentals”.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Without everything you listed? Probably not many. I’ve seen quite a few that only have one or two of those things, like “no parking in the street” or “no short term rentals”.

I guess it's just one of those US things, like under-18 curfews, rolling coal, corporal punishment and half the people having guns.

Considering just the example given by Colostomy Bag even that seems quite unreasonable to me. It's, well, do I get fined if I replace most of my lawn with a vegetable patch? Or a bunch of mint and lavender bushes? What if I don't want any lights on there?

e: To be clear those well all things that we had in our suburban house in the UK which I shared with a bunch of working professionals. Then again that's also a bit "lol UK" because we're talking about an engineer working in a film industry, a mental health therapist, foreign university lecturer and software engineer (me) sharing a semi-detached house with two floors.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 30, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Private Speech posted:

I guess it's just one of those US things, like under-18 curfews, rolling coal, corporal punishment and half the people having guns.

Considering just the example given by Colostomy Bag even that seems quite unreasonable to me. It's, well, do I get fined if I replace most of my lawn with a vegetable patch? Or a bunch of mint and lavender bushes? What if I don't want any lights on there?

e: To be clear those well all things that we had in our suburban house in the UK which I shared with a bunch of working professionals. Then again that's also a bit "lol UK" because we're talking about an engineer working in a film industry, a mental health therapist, foreign university lecturer and software engineer (me) sharing a semi-detached house with two floors.

A fair point, and talking over the pond and all differences and all that...

I guess I would say in the shortest words possible that we agree with the "covenants" on basic type behavior. Which no one ever loving reads when they sign off for the mortgage papers. And to be honest, I didn't either.

I guess most of it is self-regulating. It is like a 'Stepford Wives' scenario. In short, your lawn is poo poo so fix it or be ostracized. Or wait for code enforcement.

I dunno, hard to articulate it.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Private Speech posted:

And there are plenty of parts of the US where the idea of a HOA is foreign and enforcement of various ordinances is handled by the municipal government and people roll their eyes at the idea of an HOA telling you what color you can paint your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

cheque_some posted:

And there are plenty of parts of the US where the idea of a HOA is foreign and enforcement of various ordinances is handled by the municipal government and people roll their eyes at the idea of an HOA telling you what color you can paint your house.

Yes. Most of the land mass of the country.

Many of the more populated places where you may want to live are aware of HOAs because they have friends living in them and go "lol no" unless there are literally no other options.

I have a 100 acre development (I guess it a few separate ones) across the street from me with an HOA. gently caress no my house isn't part of that poo poo. It was built when that was a soy bean/corn field.

My house and the adjoining property is mine, subject to muni taxes and property management code. Not a rotating board of whoever couldn't pass muster to get into local government but really wants to tell people what to do.

Many of the people in this thread do not have the options I have. If I was in that position I'd be on the board with them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 31, 2020

«4 »