Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hoping to piggy back on this thread to see if anyone has experience dealing with getting a car gate installed, or having one in your HOA neighborhood? Also similarly any of the camera systems that do the automatic license plate reading poo poo.

Our small (20ish homes) HOA is starting to talk about doing one or both of these things and I think they suck a bunch of rear end and I'm hoping to gather reasons why they suck and aren't useful for their stated purpose and how much the price tag actually will be for install/upkeep/legal liability costs?

Basically looking for help to get people to vote no on this poo poo so any ideas, links, anecdotes welcome

We have a bunch of morons cheerleading the security camera and gated community movement in my condo neighborhood as well. We are 446 total units, split into 2 separate subdivisions. It's logistically impossible to do what these idiots want and they don't even consider how much it will inflate our already outrageous HOA fees.

To sort of answer your question, I attended an open meeting back in August and these items were brought up, with the HOA lawyer present. The subject of cameras, gates and speed bumps/humps came up and the lawyer basically put his hand up and said it would cost in the hundreds of thousands to implement all of it before annual upkeep costs were even considered. Again, we have a much larger development than you but he indicated the costs would be incredibly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I'm on a condo board here and one tactic I have in my back pocket, at all times, supporting an issue or not is show the individual cost.

Get a spreadsheet, list each by unit entitlement (aka cost share) and then divide up a given cost appropriately. You'll end up with "Unit 101 will pay $x and 102 $y" and so on.

If something is absurdly expensive but being pushed forward by people who've not considered it beyond "good idea" then adding this into the mix can make people consider in more detail.

I stress this can be used in both objection and support of a motion. For instance "$50/mo or $300/yr for cameras... No thanks" or "it's only $100/each average for a new boiler that lasts 15 years"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Some of the stuff we have to skirt around with our attorney panel is something else, a lot of it pool related. Which of course pool season is upon us along with waiting for new CDC guidelines on 4/1.

Yeah, gotta imagine dealing with the cost of gates would be no fun. I gotta imagine a lot of times it is one of those be careful what you wish for.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some of the stuff we have to skirt around with our attorney panel is something else, a lot of it pool related. Which of course pool season is upon us along with waiting for new CDC guidelines on 4/1.

Yeah, gotta imagine dealing with the cost of gates would be no fun. I gotta imagine a lot of times it is one of those be careful what you wish for.

Oh man. Pool and landscaping. The 2 biggest issues people bitch about on a daily basis here. Our tennis courts, playground, basketball courts and pool have been shut down since last year. Even though NJ and my town have reopened parks, our board won't open the courts or playground as they wait to hear back from the attorney and insurance company. But holy poo poo people are already flipping out about the pool which wouldn't open until mid-May at the earliest anyway.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Colostomy Bag posted:

Our place pays $500/yr for a maintenance contract plus a $45/mo cellular bill to keep the gate working. Its a fairly small expense. Only about 50 houses though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hoping to piggy back on this thread to see if anyone has experience dealing with getting a car gate installed, or having one in your HOA neighborhood?

just point out that every time someone gets something delivered, from pizza to amazon boxes, they're gonna have to get a call and buzz someone in

fantasy: we'll be so much safer now that randos can't just drive into our neighborhood
reality: within three months every food delivery joint in 10 miles has the gate code written down in their book of gate codes, and people are encouraging their guests to just follow people through the gate

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

C-Bangin' it

Douchebag posted:

Oh man. Pool and landscaping. The 2 biggest issues people bitch about on a daily basis here. Our tennis courts, playground, basketball courts and pool have been shut down since last year. Even though NJ and my town have reopened parks, our board won't open the courts or playground as they wait to hear back from the attorney and insurance company. But holy poo poo people are already flipping out about the pool which wouldn't open until mid-May at the earliest anyway.

Our pool remained open on a limited basis but it was very labor intensive to keep it that way. We aren't in a super restrictive state to begin with.

But christ almighty, we had a resident who was going to go ballistic on a couple of our pool policies and threatened us in various ways if we didn't change them. She got her way based on how another association got blasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.

Now I think Im in the position of questioning the rest of the boards willingness to conduct business according the covenants. (Someone built something, Im certain they needed a permit, rest of board shrug)