Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Everything is going to vary by state and location. You keep mentioning local city council but here in Texas we have a poo poo ton of land and neighborhoods exist outside of city limits. I understand the hate for HOAs but I did a year on the board to oust the idiots who weren't putting any repairs into our common areas like the pool and 4 acre park.

Led by this cool older women she found a cool half a million available to us by our municipal utility district that the previous HOA president had refused. We had to amend the by laws which required getting 75% of the home owners to agree. It was a pain but the new park was built and it's constantly used by everyone. The old boomers who did the board in the past still bitch about it on nextdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Why did they refuse 500,000 dollars to build a park?

Because of the implications....yeah argument floated by the HOA president was a new park would bring crime and undesirables. The last straw was when he told a disabled person at a meeting to learn to walk when said person raised concern about not being able to use the sidewalks around the common area. Dude was a poo poo head and it was hilarious when they called a sheriff because he refused to give up his position after he lost the vote 200-12. It was a pretty high turnout for a neighborhood of 750 homes.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

As with anything, this really depends on the neighborhood, and I think two of the larger factors that affect the noise ratio are proximity to public transit (buses) and number of rental properties.

Around here most of the homes are occupied by the owner and the nearest bus stop is a couple miles away and not particularly accessible, so 90% of the posts on Nextdoor are people looking for home maintenance, babysitters, petsitters, tutors, lost pets, or discussion of community social events. Only occasionally will you see someone bitching about speeders/stop sign runners/panhandlers/break-ins/abandoned properties.

It's funny because we don't have any public transportation nearby and we constantly get people freaking out about someone rang my doorbell or there is a minority walking outside. The owner occupied is another dog whistle that gets thrown out on nextdoor. "Omg this neighborhood went down the drain it's all rentals" meanwhile we have the actual stats and it's 5% rentals. From my time on the board I learned that the majority of the homes with deed violations were homes that were not rentals.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah we have that secret group to which is lead by some crazy people and wife of the former board president who was appalled anyone dare challenge her poo poo head husband.

And lol at the poster saying I have lovely neighbors. It's the same handful of dumbasses posting on nextdoor. I'm in Sugar Land, Texas which is diverse as gently caress. They got upset to see a group of people doing tai chi in the park every morning because change scares them. It's also hard for them to comprehend that our older neighborhood of average home price of $200k are considered the undesirables because we are surrounded by million dollar plus 8 bedroom homes now.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Your view of what?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Um ours doesn't charge. How much work is for the HOA. We just email the rules and update owner info.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So they just going to sue themselves?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Remove the board lol. Just run for a position and fix the issues yourself

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Considering recycling has been mostly fake for awhile now getting rid of it makes sense.

The current uproar is over our trash service. We are outside of the city and it's not part of the HOA fees but they secure a company and we pay that trash services company directly. That's what's supposed to happen but what really happened is apparently half the god drat neighborhood didn't have accounts and hadn't paid for the past 5 years. To remedy that they introduced a sticker system and all hell broke loose. People screaming on nextdoor about their trash not being picked up. And it's been 6 months and still 1/4th of all homes haven't paid the $50 quarterly fee, that's been the price forever which includes recycling and two weekly pick ups.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's of course going to depend on area but yeah in the Houston area they caught most of the trucks collecting recycling just going straight to the dump. The official statement was they didn't have facilities anymore to process it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

5 figure view lol. You sound like a lovely person