Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Funny thing is first words out of my mouth when I was elected were "Is there indemnification for me?" If not, I'd be long gone.

If they don't already have one, make your second question if there is a council email list or similar where things can be discussed outside of meetings. Tbh you shouldn't have to wait until the meeting for that question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Check your State or Provincial Laws governing HOAs (aka Stratas in BC). Some force the requirement to hold a hearing if requested and provide for further dispute resolution of that fails.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thought I'd best link to the kind of pages I mean above. the Government of BC has some decent plain language pages on how to operate a Strata (equivalent of a HOA in many cases) in BC: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/strata-housing

See if your local government has the same.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Could you link to the course at least?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I'm on a condo board here and one tactic I have in my back pocket, at all times, supporting an issue or not is show the individual cost.

Get a spreadsheet, list each by unit entitlement (aka cost share) and then divide up a given cost appropriately. You'll end up with "Unit 101 will pay $x and 102 $y" and so on.

If something is absurdly expensive but being pushed forward by people who've not considered it beyond "good idea" then adding this into the mix can make people consider in more detail.

I stress this can be used in both objection and support of a motion. For instance "$50/mo or $300/yr for cameras... No thanks" or "it's only $100/each average for a new boiler that lasts 15 years"