Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

some_admin posted:

Hey how much. Do your HOAs typically charge for transfer/doc fees etc when a property is sold/bought?
Trying to get my HOA to charge more because itís just dumb not to.

We charging $100, just increased to $150... this is on a $899,000 sale.

I paid $250 in 2008 when I bought my townhouse. I have to pay $500 to move out.

My question for Colostomy (and other HOA folks) is: What options do the residents have for removing the current board and having an election to replace all parties, included the salaried Property Manager? I don't think we have any gross mismanagement, the President is a decent guy and he deals with the issues fairly well but in the 12 years I've been here things have just gone downhill while our dues have increased. I paid $185/month in 2008 when I bought, I now pay $287 (some units pay more, based on sq footage).

We have awful landscaping. Not the boards fault, but they are not doing anything to bring in someone that can make this place look decent. Signage around the neighborhood is from 1996 when these were constructed, and they are falling apart. Mailboxes (pedestal style) are in disrepair, again not the HOA's job to specifically fix them but they should be demanding the Post Office replace them. Lots of disrepair around the units, rotting balcony wood, outside features falling apart, tennis and basketball courts are a joke and the kids playground equipment is 20 years old and completely unsafe. We have demanded, at meetings, that these issues get addressed but they aren't important enough I guess. The single most important issue for my entire community is what the community physically looks like on the outside. It's becoming impossible to sell because it looks like a shithole here and the board is very lazy about doing anything to correct it.

We don't use NextDoor, but we have a Facebook group and it's very active with mostly posts complaining about how lovely our community looks and the majority of residents are fully united in this area and quarterly meeting attendance has increased which is a good thing.

I emailed out management company asking them to remove the board but I don't know if that's something they have the ability to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Remove the board lol. Just run for a position and fix the issues yourself

Never any open positions or I (and others) would!

We had a treasurer position open 2 years ago that was filled by a retired CPA.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Covenants and bylaws reign supreme. 75% vote to make a major change. It is interesting to see how the whole thing works. Like a mini DC. Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling but there have been 1,000 emails on how we can "open" our stuff between board members.

There will be positions open in the fall, most likely trustee positions. Iím going to run for one. My HOA needs major changes. I donít expect I can fix this dump overnight but maybe I can learn how things work and offer suggestions.

A lot of people around me want to form some community action committee to identify problems and propose solutions to the current board.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

How many people are there?

We have 446 units in this development, I'd say probably 20 people give a poo poo enough to want to do something to make changes, and another 30 that just like to bitch and complain about stuff on Facebook.

FilthyImp posted:

First, find out if your state has anything akin to California's Davis-Sterling act. I'd also have a look at the financials. Why do you have a salaried property manager opposed to a Managing Agent and a Management Company. Might be cheaper, but a good management company can facilitate a lot of things you may need, like finding new vendors.

Some of that is likely baked-in cost of living creep. Our water prices, for example, always go up and we have to keep an eye on the budgeting for that pretty carefully. But

Something like this should be an easy fix with maybe a year or two's worth of saving. The quick solution is to see if the landscapers are capable of doing more (they may have been instructed just to do upkeep). If not, bid out new contractors for the end of the current contract. And while that's going on, see if you would need a redesign or redo of the sprinkler system to something more cost effective.
That should all be doable without a special assessment if you have enough leadup to save for it.

When you look at the financials, check to see their replacement schedule and the funds that are in that. There *should* be a third-party review done of the books and facilities that tells you that about X years of life are left on the Basketball court blacktop, gates, signage, etc.

Go around with 2-3 residents, take notes, take photographs, and ask why the board isn't addressing this. Then ask why you have a property manager that isn't actually managing the upkeep or repairs of these liabilities. Ask to see the most recent prop manager reports. If those issues aren't mentioned then you have just cause to ask for their removal since they're not really managing jack poo poo and are opening your community up to legal liabilities.

I will say that things take time to get rolling due to the nature of board meeting business -- everything has to be out in the open and you can't just meet and decide to, say, spend money to repaint the parking curbs or whatever.
But if they're straight up ignoring concerns you have a legitimate reason to replace the board when it comes up in a year. This will require you or a few other people to make sure they run as a group, reach out to the residents about what you would do to address the current failings to get backing, and ensure the newly seated group has a majority to push back against any entrenched interests.

It might also be a good time to redo your CC&Rs to ensure everything is on the up and up.

Do you need new plants because your commons area looks like a 90s exterior? Do the gates need a new comm box? New coat of paint to keep the rust at bay?
You can also see if the residents would be interested in a community project that can get a discount due to volume purchasing. New windows? New garage doors? Community gutter-cleaning?

Thanks for this, all seems logical. Regarding photos, we have a community Facebook group and ALL of the issues get photographed and shared, all the time. So if there is a problem here, it's been documented online many times.

Re: property manager? So we have 5 board members and a property manager who is salaried, and works in the office and manages the day to day operations of the HOA and community. She handles work orders for property repairs, property mods, pool badges, oversees most things. We have a property management company that is selected by the board (I thought it was the other way around so this shocked me). I think we have had 3 property management firms in the 12 years I have lived here. They handled the payment processing of our monthly fees and I think that's it. I think our property manager is paid by the management firm. Her salary is not on our budget unless it's hidden in one of the line items.

A lot of my, and my neighbors frustrations, are due to the fact that it seems poo poo just doesn't get done quick enough to appease everyone. Landscaping is understandable, grass doesn't grow overnight LOL. And your explanations make it make more sense about how things work.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

In todayís episode of HOA Fun, a nosy neighbor posted a picture in our community Facebook group and I went ballistic.

We have been redoing our entire condo since just before Memorial Day, ripped out old carpet and baseboard, painted the whole place, installed laminate on our lower level etc. We decided to hire a company to put new carpet in our 2 bedrooms and stairwells, which took place today. To save a few hundred we said we would dispose of the old carpet ourselves (taking it over to our bulk pickup corral), so the carpet company just left it at the end of my driveway, and they left around 330 this afternoon. I was waiting for my wife to get home with her SUV so we could haul it over to bulk. The carpet was sitting there for less than 2 hours. Enter nosy neighbor.

She posts some passive aggressive ďwell this is something new!Ē type post. My wife went nuts on her and even the property manager chimed in saying she was going to get to the bottom of this and fine those people. I called the property manager and told her the petty bullshit needs to stop, especially from property management and board members. Thankfully thereís a board meeting tomorrow night and I get to address this directly with all of them.

I loving loathe HOAís and I canít wait to sell this place and move out. If itís not the lovely management or board members itís the petty, nosy neighbors.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Hope it went in your favor. Did you review the community covenants. You can shut them up real quick if the language is vague like "remove objects in a reasonable timeframe" or whatever.

Yup, all good on my end. Board and property manager were on my side and said it was ridiculous for someone to complain.

Oh, regarding the covenants, I have a call into the board President because they are missing from my documents. They are also missing from the electronic documents available on our community site. Itís supposed to be like page 47, and 47 doesnít exist. 46 and 48 do!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

remigious posted:

My HOA announced that they are getting rid of recycling services to save money, but also implementing new parking rules and hiring a towing and booting service! No visitors can park anywhere but the street after 7pm. Yay for arbitrary bullshit.
Also board meetings are now on Mondays at 10am, so most people (including me) canít attend.
I plan to live here for 4 more years and then move.

My board is exploring getting rid of recycling services too because Waste Management fines us monthly due to residents putting plastic bags in the recycling bins. However, there is no issue with putting recyclables in the regular trash bins. So, we are paying for a service that doesnít loving matter in the long run and we are getting fined by WM as well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hoping to piggy back on this thread to see if anyone has experience dealing with getting a car gate installed, or having one in your HOA neighborhood? Also similarly any of the camera systems that do the automatic license plate reading poo poo.

Our small (20ish homes) HOA is starting to talk about doing one or both of these things and I think they suck a bunch of rear end and I'm hoping to gather reasons why they suck and aren't useful for their stated purpose and how much the price tag actually will be for install/upkeep/legal liability costs?

Basically looking for help to get people to vote no on this poo poo so any ideas, links, anecdotes welcome

We have a bunch of morons cheerleading the security camera and gated community movement in my condo neighborhood as well. We are 446 total units, split into 2 separate subdivisions. It's logistically impossible to do what these idiots want and they don't even consider how much it will inflate our already outrageous HOA fees.

To sort of answer your question, I attended an open meeting back in August and these items were brought up, with the HOA lawyer present. The subject of cameras, gates and speed bumps/humps came up and the lawyer basically put his hand up and said it would cost in the hundreds of thousands to implement all of it before annual upkeep costs were even considered. Again, we have a much larger development than you but he indicated the costs would be incredibly high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some of the stuff we have to skirt around with our attorney panel is something else, a lot of it pool related. Which of course pool season is upon us along with waiting for new CDC guidelines on 4/1.

Yeah, gotta imagine dealing with the cost of gates would be no fun. I gotta imagine a lot of times it is one of those be careful what you wish for.

Oh man. Pool and landscaping. The 2 biggest issues people bitch about on a daily basis here. Our tennis courts, playground, basketball courts and pool have been shut down since last year. Even though NJ and my town have reopened parks, our board won't open the courts or playground as they wait to hear back from the attorney and insurance company. But holy poo poo people are already flipping out about the pool which wouldn't open until mid-May at the earliest anyway.