Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
It's way dumber than I expected. Mulder makes huge leaps of logic with like 1 little clue, and Scully is supposed to be smart but she refuses to process any thing she sees. I don't know why I skipped it as a teen. I guess I thought it was more serious.

Seeing well known acters in bit parts is fun. Scully is super hot but kind of a bad actress so far. Seems like it's gonna be a good show to watch while high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
That show owns.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It rocked real hard when I was younger and watching it at like 14-16 or whatever I was but I REALLY doubt I'd be able to do a rewatch today.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's a really fun show and hilariously awesome if you look at X-Files as cheesy silliness. Don't be looking for a serious mystery genre series, though it can be that sometimes.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It's one of those shows that are impossible to fully appreciate later because it's connected to the zeitgeist of 90s conspiracy theory pop culture (which was shattered by political and cultural realignments after 9/11), and because it had a big storytelling/stylistic influence on other TV it just seems like a half-baked version of a more modern show as opposed to a big evolution over what it was competing with. It was the perfect teenager show at the time because it seemed edgy and sexy, so you missed out.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Yeah, I can see that. I think I retain enough of my slacker teenage self to appreciate the nostalgia though. Seth Green just had a cameo as a dumb, grungy stoner and they nailed the asthetic better than most other shows of the era and way better than when they try to do it now. Good fun.

My biggest disappointment so far is that it's all about UFO's and for some reason I thought it was about chupacabras and poo poo. I bet that comes later

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the overarching alien conspiracy is lame-o 90's paranoia, but the monster-of-the-week episodes whip rear end

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Just skip the majority of the plot episodes unless they involve The Lone Gunmen or Mr. X.

The show has really good monster of the week episodes. The plot/lore has some good parts but is mostly WHERE IS MY SISTER > ALIEN CLONES ? > SUPER SOLDIERS ?? > SCULLY'S ALIEN DNA BABY!~ > SYNDICATE POWER PLAYS > EVEN MORE SUPER SOLIDERS > X-Files Reboot plot episodes that are even more terrible / mostly recap.

Even Season 8-9 have some decent monster of the week episodes, even though Mulder is gone.

Also, I actually think the second movie is good. Its a long episode unlike the first one which is plot poo poo.

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.
Isn't one of the first episode about big food or the jersey devil?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

GewuerzKahn posted:

big food is real

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

X Files rules, trying to watch it with a serious face isn't the path to enjoyment though. Lighten up a tad and watch the skies

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

GewuerzKahn posted:

Ep1 UFO's
Ep2 UFO's
Ep3 so far it's the creepy guy from the Green Mile crawling in vents I think.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The plot episodes we're good AT THE TIME because you were invested in the larger story.
After the fact though, yeah... Unless it's key stuff like cancer man directly...eehh

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Kazak posted:

X Files rules, trying to watch it with a serious face isn't the path to enjoyment though. Lighten up a tad and watch the skies

Yup. I figured that out pretty quick. That's when I realized it was good a good weed feed.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

People are probably going to say skip all of it and only watch the following episodes:

Humbug
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
War of the Coprophages
Jose Chung's From Outer Space
Home
Unusual Suspects
The Post-Modern Prometheus
Bad Blood
How the Ghost Stole Christmas
Arcadia
X-Cops
Hollywood A.D.
Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
theres not nearly enough motw episodes on that list

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Its mostly the comedy episodes. But every time x-files comes up in gbs it is people talking about jose chung (which is a good episode though).

I like Fallen Angel is season 1 a lot. As it sets the tone for x-files really well.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Which one is the one with the killer fireflies?
I remember that one being good. I think it possibly firmly established the sexual tension between Mulder and Scully, too, but I could be wildly off in my remembering that.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, I can see that. I think I retain enough of my slacker teenage self to appreciate the nostalgia though. Seth Green just had a cameo as a dumb, grungy stoner and they nailed the asthetic better than most other shows of the era and way better than when they try to do it now. Good fun.

My biggest disappointment so far is that it's all about UFO's and for some reason I thought it was about chupacabras and poo poo. I bet that comes later

The chupacabra episode is halfway through season 4.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just remembered this lovely warehouse job I had in the 90's. There was a vote on whether Jillian Anderson or Cameron Diaz was hotter, and one guy on team Diaz got so mad when she lost that he stopped talking to all the Jillian fans for a few weeks.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I never watched it. Is is a serial or can you watch any episode at any time? Is it on Netflix?

I kind of crave 90s nostalgia because optimism still existed. That's now lost forever and we're headed quickly toward climate catastrophe.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. X being a unhinged assassin and Krycek being the worlds worst assassin is probably not true to the show but thats how I remember it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

I never watched it. Is is a serial or can you watch any episode at any time? Is it on Netflix?

It has a lot of motw episodes that can be watched whenever. Plot episodes are typically the first and last 2 of a season, until you get near season 7 - 9 which are mostly plot.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Leon Einstein posted:

I kind of crave 90s nostalgia because optimism still existed. That's now lost forever and we're headed quickly toward climate catastrophe.

I'm pretty sure I'm watching it on Prime. Hard to tell with this Fire TV sometimes. The menu has 11 seasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Beef City posted:

I remember that one being good. I think it possibly firmly established the sexual tension between Mulder and Scully, too, but I could be wildly off in my remembering that.

The fbi leadership knew good and drat well what they were getting into, sending two people out who look like that. Into life threatening situations at that

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Darkness Falls.
It was the first episode I saw and it was very scary when I was a kid.
As was Squeeze/Tooms, the one with the phallic mushrooms that burst out your throat and the one with the guy who killed you if you stepped on his shadow. Good times.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There were NO gay aliens!! None!

Also lol at The Thing rip off episode

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Oh wow it's the guy from Bloodsport who breaks bricks with his head!

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

SPACE HOMOS posted:

People are probably going to say skip all of it and only watch the following episodes:

Humbug
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
War of the Coprophages
Jose Chung's From Outer Space
Home
Unusual Suspects
The Post-Modern Prometheus
Bad Blood
How the Ghost Stole Christmas
Arcadia
X-Cops
Hollywood A.D.
Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster
You forgot Eve. DO NOT skip the Eve episode, that one rocked.

Actually, don't skip any of them. Consume them all. Life's like a box of chocolates!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

mrs. kiveat!

- lightning man

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Hackers film 1995 posted:

mrs. kiveat!

- lightning man

Giovanni Ribisi's true personality.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Giovanni Ribisi's true personality.

MRS KIVEAT!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
All the episodes and the movies are good OP, you loving gabbagool

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Captain Yossarian posted:

All the episodes and the movies are good OP, you loving gabbagool

Someone else was arguing about that, man. I'm watching them all in order and enjoying them so far. Keep your cheese based insults to yourself, mister.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Seasons 2-4 are pretty awesome

Darrian Morgan does not write enough for TV.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

The Dregs posted:

It's way dumber than I expected. Mulder makes huge leaps of logic with like 1 little clue, and Scully is supposed to be smart but she refuses to process any thing she sees.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

You can skip around but there are so many good episodes that you might as well watch the whole seasons.

X Cops is a great, tense episode with a balance of humor and terror, and it's all the way in season 7

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

on rewatch the standalones mid-series are amazing. and even season 1 has a low budget ambition that's charming.

the arching plot climaxes with scully's kidnapping and Krycek's hijinks then gets bad after awhile. and mulder gets really loving emo and annoying to the point I was glad when T1000 showed up and just started shooting poo poo.

i watch the christmas ep every year during the holidays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Another fantastic tense and unsettling episode, Drive, is season 6 and that's where Vince Gilligan was so impressed by Bryan Cranstons acting that he made a mental note to cast him in a later project