Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m on youtube a bunch during the day. Oftentimes I’ll have some video playing alongside a game I’ll be playing, or just having it on when driving so I can listen to mostly audio based vids.

Lately, youtube has been taking a swing at all my favorite history folks. Armchair Historian, The Great War, a few other smaller guys got demonetized, often with no reason stated. I can’t really imagine what they’re doing wrong. These folks keep things professional, clean, and (most importantly) don’t fall into the revisionist chud history category with polandballs and other alt right nonsense.

Meanwhile a whole lot of other stuff with a lot less value retains its monetization. A lot of these guys are planning to do their own videos offsite, and luckily they’re smart enough to ignore their chuddy fans who keep suggesting garbage dumps like Bitchute. (Seriously why does internet+history bring out the chuds no matter the era?)

Anyway thanks for reading my stupid serious post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Doesn't patreon exist basically to extend life-support to all youtube channels.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think the current theory is YouTube is mass demonetizing videos with "war" or "battle" in their names.

lmao

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lol if you don't demonetize every channel with adblock

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't think any videos ought to be monetized. YouTube should be thrown into a woodchipper and these people should find a normal job (or just use patreon like everyone else)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No ads, no masters.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

buglord posted:

(Seriously why does internet+history bring out the chuds no matter the era?)

History appeals to chuds, and always has. From Civil War re-enactors to the History Channel devolving into all-Hitler all the time in the mid-2000s, chuds just love to look back on the past for some reason.

My wife's uncle deifies the founding fathers and throws a diaperbaby shitfit when you point out the ones who owned slaves (all of them but John Adams, LOL).

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm glad the history channel has finally gotten back to real history (ancient aliens) instead of chud history (world war 2)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Is Youtube a Satan? Why else would it demonetize so many videos, ie. turn them into receptacles for demons' souls? I've watched a lot of documentaries so I know demons always go for people living in trailers so that may be the reason those videos are specifically targeted.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For me I was just taught history in that manner (chud) in school, it was especially heavy on the civil war apologist stuff, even in college.

I think that probably is the basis for most people.

I get YouTube just demonetizing anything history related, as everything war related is rather disingenuous and political, so just get rid of it all to be safe.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

poverty goat posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's demonize bro. YouTube just freed these people from participating in the great devil exploitation system named capitalism.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

poverty goat posted:

I'm glad the history channel has finally gotten back to real history (ancient aliens) instead of chud history (world war 2)

it's kind of funny that the current hitler channel is called the american heroes channel.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the current theory is YouTube is mass demonetizing videos with "war" or "battle" in their names.

lmao

Take that War Profiteers.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

LabyaMynora posted:

History appeals to chuds, and always has. From Civil War re-enactors to the History Channel devolving into all-Hitler all the time in the mid-2000s, chuds just love to look back on the past for some reason.

My wife's uncle deifies the founding fathers and throws a diaperbaby shitfit when you point out the ones who owned slaves (all of them but John Adams, LOL).

I guarantee you have some weird views on history too. Its just a very problematic, but important topic in education.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's demonize bro. YouTube just freed these people from participating in the great devil exploitation system named capitalism.

Thank Christ (and the devil too I don't pick sides).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Thank Christ (and the devil too I don't pick sides).

Great people on both sides.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i like the idiotic swedish guy who plays kerbal space program

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

i like the idiotic swedish guy who plays kerbal space program

Don't know who plays KSP, but based off "idiotic swedish guy" I'm guessing Pewdiepie????

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't know who plays KSP, but based off "idiotic swedish guy" I'm guessing Pewdiepie????
robbaz

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Youtube has been deleting the comment sections on a lot of channels where they interview people with disabilities while also demonetizing them

Seems strange but maybe companies don't want their ads associated with people who have disabilities? Seems like a bad PR move for youtube to be honest

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What YouTube does to their lovely private platform is just what the government has been doing to your textbooks forever.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Colonel Cancer posted:

What YouTube does to their lovely private platform is just what the government has been doing to your textbooks forever.

*presses play on my stereo, “Bulls on Parade” starts playing*

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I guarantee you have some weird views on history too. Its just a very problematic, but important topic in education.

Not if you don't learn about history bitch!!1!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
"Why does the internet + History bring out the chuds"

Knowledge of history carries with it a lot of power.

Though we have so much history now, that the power to manipulate people can no longer rely on just the knowledge of history. It's now the interpretation of that history that decides who holds the power now.

Chuds know this. Chud are not stupid. They have stupid moments, but either through birth, society, or luck they were given either a lot of knowledge or a specific set of knowledge that is useful.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

People, especially kids, shouldn't be allowed to learn about history! Outrageous!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson after the incident with Nasim Aghdam.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Pawn 17 posted:

People, especially kids, shouldn't be allowed to learn about history! Outrageous!

History is corrupting the youth and destroying our morals.

If you see anyone talking about Genghis Khan, the Aztecs, Leonardo DaVinci or anything of that nature, please report them to the authorities. Nazism must be stopped.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Youtube is almost completely unusable without adblock now. I'm also constantly noticing ancient obscure songs and videos that I can gaurantee absolutely no one is making a single dime off of getting removed for some bullshit violation. I've started ripping songs directly off of videos so I dont even have to rely on that lovely website anymore.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Same can be said about the rest of the internet. Adblock and VPN(at least a lovely one that obscures geographical location) are the basic requirement to go online.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

buglord posted:

(Seriously why does internet+history bring out the chuds no matter the era?)

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

If someone with bigoted and hateful ideas learns just a little bit of history, they will find other hateful people like them from the past to cling to like a safety blanket. The second they realize that entire empires were built on similar ideals to their own they never let that safety blanket go.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

No ads, no masters.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
i uploaded a goofy instrumental cover of ocean man that i got from soundcloud onto youtube and it got automatically flagged by the content id system because of the matching melody

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it's hilarious how every popular channel in single hobby genre thinks they, individually, are unique victims of a targeted political conspiracy against them and only them when it's obviously just youtube not wanting to pay anyone at all

all the big gun channels are the best at acting like youtube see-jay-dubs are making them martyrs for the molon labe cause. weird how they talk about how much they love capitalism in every other instance. at least it's not da goberment, guys!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not even a gun nut but hickok45, taufledermaus and gun Jesus are all awesome and should get paid

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You know that Twitter bot that Microsoft made that ended up becoming a Nazi within a day or so of going public?

The Youtube algorithm works the same way.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Haven't used YouTube in years tbh. How is it nowadays?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

serious norman posted:

Haven't used YouTube in years tbh. How is it nowadays?

Literally exactly the same for the end users, although there are more of those “video will play after ad finishes” ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The whole thing is a clusterfuck. Basically, Youtube is attempting to legitimize itself with advertisers by only monetizing the safest of content. They are, for the most part, trying to do what big TV networks do but with effectively non-vetted content monitored by AI. Lots of false positives are going to crop up. On that subject, how has Youtube Red done? I only see some of the most boring poo poo make it to Youtube Red.