Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

redm posted:

i uploaded a goofy instrumental cover of ocean man that i got from soundcloud onto youtube and it got automatically flagged by the content id system because of the matching melody

I got flagged once for playing a song from the goddamn 1700s. Apparently some German company has copyrighted all Baroque music somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
As a man who has never made a cent off of YouTube, I say good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Man uploads white noise, gets flagged five times

It's annoying to me mainly because my videos are stupid bullshit that I want to keep ad free because ads are bullshit and I have a job and don't need five extra cents per year.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Remember youtube gaming. What a hit.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

PinheadSlim posted:

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

If someone with bigoted and hateful ideas learns just a little bit of history, they will find other hateful people like them from the past to cling to like a safety blanket. The second they realize that entire empires were built on similar ideals to their own they never let that safety blanket go.

This is precisely the problem with the modern internet. Before the internet, loonies were forced to interact with normal people and were rightly ridiculed for their beliefs.

Now there are entire online communities devoted to whatever loony conspiracy theory you can think of. Its like rule 34 for morons. Ex: Qanon could not have been taken seriously in a pre-internet environment.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

buglord posted:

(Seriously why does internet+history bring out the chuds no matter the era?)
they seem to have an audience share who fetishize history instead of studying it. thinking past times were better than the present requires you to be stupid & selfish on the same level, in the same ways as being a chud.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Thinking that future is always better than past is also hilariously dumb.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Colonel Cancer posted:

one good part about the future is that phones are waterproof

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

Lol if you don't demonetize every channel with adblock

:yeah:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

poverty goat posted:

I'm not even a gun nut but hickok45, taufledermaus and gun Jesus are all awesome and should get paid
ian and karl rule and when they started to get demonized a few months back i knew it was just a youtube-wide thing and not isolated to real psychos like military arms channel, garand thumb, or (yuck) lucas botkin.

turns out content is basically worthless so long as #brands just use youtube as a platform advertise poo poo

also check out Paul Harrell too. hes some old school gun sperg with embarrassing production values but great presentation and very charismatic in spectrumy kind of way

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
History tells me that the Roman Empire was real strong and manly and everyone was jealous of how cool it was. Therefore, as an American of Italian descent, I constantly compare all current events to the Roman times, seeing as my people have totally failed to accomplish anything of note that wasn't a culinary pursuit in the 1600 years since.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

nah

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Colonel Cancer posted:

drat what a white boomer opinion

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The algorithm cannot fail. It can only be failed.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I imagine a big part of the reason this stuff attracts chuds is that it's all about battles and killing people on behalf of the state. And yeah also the idea of a racially pure America/Europe/Roman Empire or whatever.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

History tells me that the Roman Empire was real strong and manly and everyone was jealous of how cool it was. Therefore, as an American of Italian descent, I constantly compare all current events to the Roman times, seeing as my people have totally failed to accomplish anything of note that wasn't a culinary pursuit in the 1600 years since.

italy probably made out pretty well in the timeline where the nazis won

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

TenementFunster posted:

drat what a white boomer opinion

Come back and say this in 2050 binch

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
This is the only history video you need

https://youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Mooey Cow posted:

Man uploads white noise, gets flagged five times

It's annoying to me mainly because my videos are stupid bullshit that I want to keep ad free because ads are bullshit and I have a job and don't need five extra cents per year.

quote:

I created and uploaded the video in question. The video was created by generating a noise waveform of 10 hours length using the freeware software Audacity and the built-in noise generator. The resulting 10-hour audio file was then imported into ScreenFlow, where the text was added and then rendered as one 10-hour video file, he explains.

It's interesting that it would seem this person is a victim of 5 separate people choosing to copyright an audacity preset.

It's been pretty clearly out of control for a long time with no signs of improving but what is a person to do tho :greencube:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

italy probably made out pretty well in the timeline where the nazis won

*Italian man talking to Dr. Strange*

I: How many timelines where the Nazis won?

D: Three million, two hundred and forty seven.

I: How many where they chose to ally with Italy?

D: One.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

redm posted:

It's interesting that it would seem this person is a victim of 5 separate people choosing to copyright an audacity preset.

It's been pretty clearly out of control for a long time with no signs of improving but what is a person to do tho :greencube:

What even happens to the monetization in this clown show?

Does it like, try to split it five ways? Does it just fully monetize one claimant, then another in succession?

Why is this so stupid.

e: wait two of them are the exact same claimant lol. Are claimants playing tug-o-war with each other???

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 3, 2019

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

poverty goat posted:

Lol if you don't demonetize every channel with adblock

hell yeah

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

What even happens to the monetization in this clown show?

Does it like, try to split it five ways, or just it just fully monetize one claimant, then another in succession?

Why is this so stupid.
I wonder how much Andrew W. K. gets for his cut

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Come back and say this in 2050 binch
joke is on you ill probably be dead of some digestive/respiratory disease

username/post combo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Why is this so stupid.

Youtube (google, really) tries to do everything via algorithm because hiring enough competent people to moderate the firehose of content that is the internet is expensive. unfortunately the algorithm is dogshit garbage.

edit: oh yeah and they don't even hire enough people to review the algorithm fuckups. because ultimately they don't give a poo poo.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Disagree. Have you considered that in the future, everything will be dead? That's pretty much better than all the assholes who ever lived.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

poverty goat posted:

I'm not even a gun nut but hickok45, taufledermaus and gun Jesus are all awesome and should get paid

Is hickok45 demonetized too? I cant keep track because I have Youtube Red/Premium whatever. I dunno what his personal politics are, but he manages to hit a balance between cool chill guns uncle and professional. His video on weapons safety for beginners is fantastic.

Starting to hate Youtube at this point because I have a lot of respect for the dudes who are trying to teach laymen about things they wouldn't care about otherwise. I guess WatchNebula is an alternative site for history folks getting run off YouTube. More of an education/nonficiton focus. Dunno if this will die in the crib or become anything, but some cool channels like RealEngineering, FeatureHistory, and TierZoo (a huge guilty pleasure of mine) are on there.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LabyaMynora posted:

History appeals to chuds, and always has. From Civil War re-enactors to the History Channel devolving into all-Hitler all the time in the mid-2000s, chuds just love to look back on the past for some reason.

My wife's uncle deifies the founding fathers and throws a diaperbaby shitfit when you point out the ones who owned slaves (all of them but John Adams, LOL).

Wouldn't that only make him like them more?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I dont think chuds are more into history than the average person, but they are hyper focused on big wars involving white people, slave owning and why it was totally understandable and not to be condemned, and scientific/engineering achievements made by white people. So its easy for them to get together and loudly agree with each other in public places, because they all somehow agreed on the syllabus ahead of time.

There are a bunch of these where I work constantly talking about WW2 and the founding fathers, but if you try to engage them about literally any other historical topic (art, music, literature, social movements, politics outside Europe/US) they have nothing to say. Not that it will necessarily stop them from pretending and embarrassing themselves, because its also peak chudcrime to admit you dont know something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

The Roman Empire founded Britain, which founded the British Empire which founded the US. We're living in the Roman Empire still.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Applewhite posted:

Wouldn't that only make him like them more?

You'd think so, but he's one who is in complete denial about his own and the conservative movement's racism. See, Lincoln freed the slaves, and Lincoln was a Republican, ipso facto Republicans can't be racist. Just don't talk about George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owning slaves. IT WAS DIFFERENT BACK THEN, THEY DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS WRONG!!! (Historically inaccurate claim.)

Also he's a cop in Dallas, TX and when EBOLA was a headline a few years ago, he freaked out because apparently there's a part of Dallas with a lot of African immigrants. He of course referred to them as "animals." Not racist though!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Cool history video with lots of research and good production value=5.00 USD

Ahego cosplay bathwater girl goes shopping=485,000.00 USD.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Cool history video with lots of research and good production value=5.00 USD

Ahego cosplay bathwater girl goes shopping=485,000.00 USD.

Im in the wrong line of work...

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Is there like anyway to even economically disadvantage or hurt YT at this point? I hate that the idea is mass boycott, but I can't think of anything else really.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

elect someone who will break up google

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the current theory is YouTube is mass demonetizing videos with "war" or "battle" in their names.

lmao

I wonder if that's why Gears of War 5 is now just Gears 5 officially.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

remember when google video was a thing

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Brock Samsonite posted:

Is there like anyway to even economically disadvantage or hurt YT at this point? I hate that the idea is mass boycott, but I can't think of anything else really.

A more corporate manner idea: I haven't found a straight answer but, I want to know how much it would cost to run a website where a single person:
- uploads 5 hours of 1080K video a day via streaming
- and an archive that is 10 year old
- Has 4 million viewers daily.
- (it's gatta be millions of dollars right?)
because once that gets cheap enough, youtube is dead, and we're back in the the version of the internet where individual websites are important

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 3, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Just posting to say, there's a hell of a lot more to history than wars, hitler and weapons. I know, amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

remember when google video was a thing

Using the video search on google still gave google video results for ages after they bought youtube.