Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ka0 posted:

Doesn't patreon exist basically to extend life-support to all youtube channels.

The founder of Patreon is a viral youtube channel guy from 10 years ago.

He's the guy from this duo, they kept getting squeezed by youtube revenue splits and thought "there's got to be a better way".

Chomp8645 posted:

What even happens to the monetization in this clown show?

Does it like, try to split it five ways? Does it just fully monetize one claimant, then another in succession?

Why is this so stupid.

It's even better: if you get multiple different monetization claims, they all get in each other's way and monetization is turned off entirely. Your video plays without ads, nobody gets anything.

Therefore the best strategy is to say chaos reigns, and throw in a dozen different copyright violations at once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Disagree. Have you considered that in the future, everything will be dead? That's pretty much better than all the assholes who ever lived.

Oh poo poo I haven't considered that angle. You got a point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poverty goat posted:

elect someone who will break up google

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1179040598222888962?s=19

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
They demonetized sinpsonwave guy

A terrible crime that I will always remember

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ka0 posted:

Just posting to say, there's a hell of a lot more to history than wars, hitler and weapons. I know, amazing.
i ain’t seen it

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It's in these things made of dry flat cellulose wafers called paper, they bunch them up together nice and tight and call them books. They're not too expensive and a bit more durable than a phone.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
gently caress you they’re not expensive. 10 dollars for IT?!
Sorry, I got burgers to buy

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Mr. Rockefeller here, lording over us with his expendable book income.

So why do content creators stay on YouTube if they are not getting that extra book buying income?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I can neither confirm nor deny at this moment but most likely russian hackers have something to do with it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Just like that, Elizabeth Warren has my vote.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Just like that, Elizabeth Warren has my vote.

Question at the next debate: "So how hard do you plan to gently caress over facebook?"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

delete google, twitter and facebook plus all the companies they own imo

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...

Pawn 17 posted:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Brock Samsonite posted:

Is there like anyway to even economically disadvantage or hurt YT at this point? I hate that the idea is mass boycott, but I can't think of anything else really.

Pretty sure YouTube is the only part of "Alphabet" (Google) that loses money. The cost involved in having millions of people streaming millions of hours of video per day is staggering, and they aren't making it back.

So... YouTube harder. Always have a YouTube video playing on multiple tabs at once.

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i really wanted to watch a marathon of THE FISH SOUP CHANNEL which is 494,000 videos of a guy eating fish soup but youtntbube has ruined it :saddowns:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Pawn 17 posted:

I actually think this is a great idea, but only completely selfishly. I take my 5 year old to birthday parties, picking up and dropping off from school, etc and see kids a year or two older, and what brainwashed little poo poo brained pieces of poo poo they are thanks to those three things add Minecraft. I no lie, overheard a 4 year old reference Slenderman at a wedding. Whoops!

I have no idea how I'm going to keep raising this kid.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My old co-worker was yammering about all his favorite YouTubers getting demonetized and complaining about it, and he was honestly pissed at YouTube about it. This was like a year ago. This dude has admitted to watching YouTube for hours on end, and admittedly he's a very cool and good guy that I've done actual stuff with, but like dude, just go outside lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

interwhat posted:

I have no idea how I'm going to keep raising this kid.

Just stop. Once they get online it's all over. Best thing to do is toss it back in the ocean and start fresh.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"Why does the internet + History bring out the chuds"

Knowledge of history carries with it a lot of power.

Though we have so much history now, that the power to manipulate people can no longer rely on just the knowledge of history. It's now the interpretation of that history that decides who holds the power now.

Chuds know this. Chud are not stupid. They have stupid moments, but either through birth, society, or luck they were given either a lot of knowledge or a specific set of knowledge that is useful.

Its actually because they're too dumb to realize that everyone in all of history was poo poo and they think there were nobler times and actual heroes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Salt Fish posted:

Its actually because they're too dumb to realize that everyone in all of history was poo poo and they think there were nobler times and actual heroes.

FACT: Everyone in history either believed something stupid or didn't know about something that we now teach our children by kindergarten.

#1 Germ theory - Every historical figure before ~1870 didn't know poo poo about germs and how to wash their hands
#2 Sandwiches - The sandwich was invented by the Earl of Sandwich around 1770.

That's 100 years of people wiping their asses and then making a sandwich without washing their hands!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

LabyaMynora posted:

FACT: Everyone in history either believed something stupid or didn't know about something that we now teach our children by kindergarten.

#1 Germ theory - Every historical figure before ~1870 didn't know poo poo about germs and how to wash their hands
#2 Sandwiches - The sandwich was invented by the Earl of Sandwich around 1770.

That's 100 years of people wiping their asses and then making a sandwich without washing their hands!

:gonk:hahahah:gonk:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to visit the plantations and not hear one word about slavery

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

poverty goat posted:

elect someone who will break up google

There's a better chance of humanity being wiped out in a nuclear war than Google being broken up. Not that I'm averse to either.

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
would anyone else be interested in a youtube channnel themed around using carpentry tools on giant blocks of ice? asking for a friend

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

would anyone else be interested in a youtube channnel themed around using carpentry tools on giant blocks of ice? asking for a friend

how much?

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

at least 2 axes, a hacksaw and some hammers

probably about 100 pounds of iceblock. hoping to build up to monetization profits of at least $9 per week.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

At some point of time someones going to figure out how to do a Youtube clone without the demonatization creator-abuse poo poo, AND a rock solid way to keep out the algorithm gaming far right psychos and its gonna be all over for youtube. Its happened before, it can happen again. (And no it wont be one of the lovely Gab/etc alt-right loony sites that do it)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
A big problem with demonetization is that it while it may only directly affect some videos it brings the quality down massively across the whole site

Who in their right fuckin mind is going to spend weeks shooting the perfect video only to have it demonitized because 5 seconds of a Katy Perry track played in the background

Instead we get infinite hours of lets plays and propoganda from alt right people who don't give a gently caress about the money anyway

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

what the gently caress does chud mean

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

It's what chows ruminate on.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

duck monster posted:

At some point of time someones going to figure out how to do a Youtube clone without the demonatization creator-abuse poo poo, AND a rock solid way to keep out the algorithm gaming far right psychos and its gonna be all over for youtube. Its happened before, it can happen again. (And no it wont be one of the lovely Gab/etc alt-right loony sites that do it)

It doesn't matter if five guys who watch history videos goes a different site when 90% of youtube is kids watching hosed up videos made by Russian robits.

Vonkrieger
May 14, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I was wondering the same thing, since it seems to be correlated with an interest in history and, you know, facts;

it could possibly be a synonym for "intellectual".

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

4/10, needs subtlety

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

This verge article from April gives a pretty good summary of the history of Youtube and monetization.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/18287318/youtube-logan-paul-pewdiepie-demonetization-adpocalypse-premium-influencers-creators

I think at this point it's safe to say if an average person makes a poo poo ton of money by posting poo poo online, it's not going to last forever.

I am old enough to remember the Internet's first "adpocalypse" back in the year 2000. People didn't have YouTube or Twitch channels, they had websites, and they ran "ads" which usually consisted of two banners at the most. Around 1999 or so ad firms were paying something like 1-2 cents per banner impression meaning it only has to load on a unique IP, not clicked. This was enough to give popular website owners six figure incomes. They figured this would go on forever. But by around the year 2000, ad firms simply reassessed the value of a banner impressions to be only a fraction of a cent. The bubble burst, simple as that. Thus taking away everyone's income.

This time I think YouTube is worried about how they can continue to be profitable going forward in light of that FTC ruling against them, and they are trying to reconstruct their "brand" that they sell to advertisers.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

cute

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I have the opposite problem, I’ll find and favourite videos with no ads and then later I go back and they put loving ads on!! :mad:

I have one invisible subscriber on YT that I cannot see, remove or block.
I am not a content creator. I am convinced it’s some loving troglodyte YouTube employee just flagging all the videos I like, getting them removed or ensuring copyright material gets monetized. gently caress you rear end in a top hat spying on my watch history making me watch ads!!!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I have the opposite problem, I’ll find and favourite videos with no ads and then later I go back and they put loving ads on!! :mad:

I have one invisible subscriber on YT that I cannot see, remove or block.
I am not a content creator. I am convinced it’s some loving troglodyte YouTube employee just flagging all the videos I like, getting them removed or ensuring copyright material gets monetized. gently caress you rear end in a top hat spying on my watch history making me watch ads!!!!

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yeah I started doing this a while back to preserve funny videos I knew were going to be axed. It’s worked out pretty well and avoids the problem of trying to find out what video was in my liked playlist because YouTube also removes the title of the deleted video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEkbmkT7AA