Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

This verge article from April gives a pretty good summary of the history of Youtube and monetization.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/18287318/youtube-logan-paul-pewdiepie-demonetization-adpocalypse-premium-influencers-creators

I think at this point it's safe to say if an average person makes a poo poo ton of money by posting poo poo online, it's not going to last forever.

I am old enough to remember the Internet's first "adpocalypse" back in the year 2000. People didn't have YouTube or Twitch channels, they had websites, and they ran "ads" which usually consisted of two banners at the most. Around 1999 or so ad firms were paying something like 1-2 cents per banner impression meaning it only has to load on a unique IP, not clicked. This was enough to give popular website owners six figure incomes. They figured this would go on forever. But by around the year 2000, ad firms simply reassessed the value of a banner impressions to be only a fraction of a cent. The bubble burst, simple as that. Thus taking away everyone's income.

This time I think YouTube is worried about how they can continue to be profitable going forward in light of that FTC ruling against them, and they are trying to reconstruct their "brand" that they sell to advertisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU