Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

PawParole posted:

Anyone know of a story where humans are conquered by aliens and it’s set in the aftermath? ( no ai, vampires or weird poo poo).

I just want to read about humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that

Friend, have you considered Battlefield Earth by our lord and savior Elron Hubbard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PawParole posted:

Anyone know of a story where humans are conquered by aliens and it’s set in the aftermath? ( no ai, vampires or weird poo poo).

"no vampires or weird poo poo" :mad:

I'm gonna rec Madness Season by CS Friedman anyways because it's great and has multiple subjected human cultures that are interesting to read about.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
The Sorcerer follows the Captain, a beautiful man with song for a voice and hair that drinks the sunlight. The two of them are the descendants of the gods who abandoned the Earth for Heaven, and they will need all the gifts those divine ancestors left to them to keep their caravan brothers alive.

I'm going to call this one out again for having a very abrupt ~gay tragedy~ sort of ending that pissed me off. It ruined an otherwise enjoyably weird book for me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Alien Years by Robert Silverberg is exactly that. I don’t remember if it’s any good because I read it as a kid, but it’s 100% what you’re describing.

Bonus option: The Tripods :cap:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

PawParole posted:

CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series....the human main character is the ultimate quisling.

Julian May's Ploiscene Saga does something similar with "humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that" and is 113% batshit insnae.

Philip K Dick's VALIS series. However the VALIS series is roughly 55% "weird poo poo" coupled to PKD IRL having a series of mental breakdowns as he was writing the VALIS trilogy

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Timelike Infinity by Stephen Baxter is about getting free of alien occupation (sort of). And there is one quisling involved.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JTDistortion posted:

I'm going to call this one out again for having a very abrupt ~gay tragedy~ sort of ending that pissed me off. It ruined an otherwise enjoyably weird book for me.

Obviously this is very YMMV but I felt there was all kinds of foreshadowing for what happened, and it was a fitting ending that heightened the book, so to speak. Also, if it matters, I'm queer myself.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

Julian May's Ploiscene Saga does something similar with "humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that" and is 113% batshit insnae.

Weird, I never even heard of her.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

quantumfoam posted:

CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series....the human main character is the ultimate quisling.

Philip K Dick's VALIS series. However the VALIS series is roughly 55% "weird poo poo" coupled to PKD IRL having a series of mental breakdowns as he was writing the VALIS trilogy

Read the whole foreigner series and that takes place on another planet. I basically want something like Dread Empire Falls, but instead of taking place a thousand years in the future after humanity gets used to the aliens, I want it to be set during the invasoon.

also, Ploiscene Saga isn’t something I’d rec to someone looking for no weird poo poo, nor anything by Dick lmao

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PawParole posted:

It’s a web-serial but https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/ is really good. Humans all but wiped out by an alien empire (Halo’s covenant with serial numbers filed off) and the revisionist history the survivors are taught says that the aliens saved them from themselves. Not a spoiler, part of the basic premise.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

navyjack posted:

It’s a web-serial but https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/ is really good. Humans all but wiped out by an alien empire (Halo’s covenant with serial numbers filed off) and the revisionist history the survivors are taught says that the aliens saved them from themselves. Not a spoiler, part of the basic premise.

Not that either, but thanks!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PawParole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obviously this is very YMMV but I felt there was all kinds of foreshadowing for what happened, and it was a fitting ending that heightened the book, so to speak. Also, if it matters, I'm queer myself.

I will admit that I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of stuff, but I gave the author a second chance, tried another book, and got one that opened up with a guy running into the sea to chase the boat carrying his lover away. IIRC it then started going into flashbacks so you got to read a love story that you know ends tragically. At that point I just kinda gave up, put the book down, and moved on.

Finding sci-fi/fantasy with good gay characters that don't arbitrarily have something horrible happen to them has been a source of frustration for me ever since I was a teenager. Things have improved a lot since then and there's a lot more stuff that actually has gay characters in it, but that has come alongside a rise in god-awful gay romance written by and for straight women. It can be difficult to find good stuff in the midst of all that (particularly because sci-fi/fantasy that happens to feature good gay characters without being about them being gay will rarely be marketed as LGBTQ fiction).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JTDistortion posted:

I will admit that I have a pretty low tolerance for that sort of stuff, but I gave the author a second chance, tried another book, and got one that opened up with a guy running into the sea to chase the boat carrying his lover away. IIRC it then started going into flashbacks so you got to read a love story that you know ends tragically. At that point I just kinda gave up, put the book down, and moved on.

Finding sci-fi/fantasy with good gay characters that don't arbitrarily have something horrible happen to them has been a source of frustration for me ever since I was a teenager. Things have improved a lot since then and there's a lot more stuff that actually has gay characters in it, but that has come alongside a rise in god-awful gay romance written by and for straight women. It can be difficult to find good stuff in the midst of all that (particularly because sci-fi/fantasy that happens to feature good gay characters without being about them being gay will rarely be marketed as LGBTQ fiction).

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want to downplay the awful trend of gay people dying in fiction a lot. Good luck finding more non-tragic queer fiction.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't think of a book or series I've read that had the whole dystopian alien ruler thing going, but there was a movie a couple of years ago called Captive State and it basically checks all your boxes. Has John Goodman in it. Worth a watch.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PawParole posted:

Timothy Zahn's Blackcollar series. Some humans are enhanced.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quantumfoam posted:

Verdict: H Beam Piper wrote good space opera. Piper was a halfway point between the storytelling methods & tropes of the "golden age of scifi" space opera fiction and space opera fiction published in the past 20 yrs/aka "modern space opera".

Now find Little Fuzzy ! A really charming, yet also insightful first contact story. It also has one of my very favorite "we're completely hosed now" moments for the bad guys in a trial.

Piper gets into a lot of colonialist tropes, in both good and bad ways. Uller Uprising is a retelling of the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. Cosmic Computer has some nasty digs at welfare recipients. And a lot of his short stories come off as pro-Empire. But he told some fantastic stories along the way. And anyone who has a recurring theme of aliens thinking cocktail hour is a human religious ritual can't be all bad.

ps. Read Murder in the Gunroom, his first novel, absolutely last. Let's just say he didn't start his career as open minded as he ended up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PawParole posted:

Read the whole foreigner series and that takes place on another planet. I basically want something like Dread Empire Falls, but instead of taking place a thousand years in the future after humanity gets used to the aliens, I want it to be set during the invasoon.

also, Ploiscene Saga isn’t something I’d rec to someone looking for no weird poo poo, nor anything by Dick lmao

There's no vampires or anything that I recall in the Pleistocene saga, though the aliens aren't particularly alien.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

PawParole posted:

That Chinese mega city thing is this but for an “alien” culture.

E: Chung Kuo.

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Drone Jett posted:

That Chinese mega city thing is this but for an “alien” culture.

E: Chung Kuo.

That Chinese mega city thing had too much load-bearing sexual violence for me to finish the first book

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't remember the name of the episode or much of the plot, but one episode of the 90s The Outer Limits had one point of view being the last survivors of humanity after an alien war, and the other being an alien and his son.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I loving despised the Little Fuzzy stories. Not really a fan of H Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy and the followup stories to it (both the H Beam Piper ones & John Scalzi 25+ yrs later ones).

H Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy universe stories are pure Young Adult genre fiction, with precursors to Ewoks or Pokemon as the titular "Fuzzies". If you like reading novelized middler-schooler after-school tv specials about the dangers of discrimination/exploitation of others, then the Little Fuzzy stories are must read fiction. Otherwise, give them a hard pass.

H Beam Piper also wrote a 3rd series of inter-connected stories about timeline-time-travel cops enforcing the Right outcomes aka the Paratime stories, which are very skippable for a modern reader for obvious reasons given a few seconds thought about the premise and the inevitable hyper-fascist outcome.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 6, 2020

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

PawParole posted:

Maybe Kate Elliott's Jaran? I've only read the first one, but I enjoyed it and will probably come back to the rest of them eventually.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PawParole posted:

Here you go:
https://lparchive.org/XCOM-2/

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

StrixNebulosa posted:

"no vampires or weird poo poo" :mad:

I'm gonna rec Madness Season by CS Friedman anyways because it's great and has multiple subjected human cultures that are interesting to read about.

Seconding this rec for Friedman. Also any other recs for Friedman. Any time I'm feeling bored or frustrated with worldbuilding for magic (for DMing or my own writing) I go back and reread the Coldfire books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JTDistortion posted:

It can be difficult to find good stuff in the midst of all that (particularly because sci-fi/fantasy that happens to feature good gay characters without being about them being gay will rarely be marketed as LGBTQ fiction).
This may be really obvious, but have you read Gideon the Ninth?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ulmont posted:

Timothy Zahn's Blackcollar series. Some humans are enhanced.

A bit on the pulp side of things though since it's about how humanity's last hope are badass ninjas who are being hunted by not-Javert. :krad:

It's great fun though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

genericnick posted:

Weird, I never even heard of her.

It was before its time and would have had a huge following of deranged fans if it came out today

Some aspects might be perceived as problematic however

E.g. the bit where the lesbian hockey player is elf-torture-raped into hyper psi powers and blows open the mediterranean with her mind while hanging from a hotair balloon piloted by a Viking

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudanonymous posted:

There's no vampires or anything that I recall in the Pleistocene saga, though the aliens aren't particularly alien.

Pliocene. There's a lot of very specific geological detail, I'm p sure it was her area of study. I actually recommend the books, they're berserk but sort of great

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

sebmojo posted:

It was before its time and would have had a huge following of deranged fans if it came out today

Some aspects might be perceived as problematic however

E.g. the bit where the lesbian hockey player is elf-torture-raped into hyper psi powers and blows open the mediterranean with her mind while hanging from a hotair balloon piloted by a Viking

Ploiscene Saga has lots of WTF and problematic moments. However there's always something more insane or much more hosed up happening which makes the previous WTF & problematic moments seem almost sane by comparison.

Ploiscene Saga also manages to triple-dip into being 3 different genres at the same time (fantasy, sci-fi, and near-future post 1st contact with aliens), even if I exclude the spinoff books by Julian May that focus on the near-future post 1st contact with aliens stuff.

Characters act semi-realisticly in the Ploiscene Saga books too. Some human characters go 100% quisling, others collaborate in a French Resistance during World War 2 way, others go fully insane like that character sebmojo Spoiler mentioned, or rebel versus the overlords or decide "hey, I can do this fascist overlord poo poo MUCH better than you overlord fucks" and some seemingly main characters just spiral into suicidal depression and never recover.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 6, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PawParole posted:

The Tripods by John Christopher is exactly, precisely what you're looking for.

Also there's Dread Empire's Fall by Walter Jon Williams, which is set after the aftermath when humanity has risen to a high position as a servitor race of a tyrannical alien empire.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

This may be really obvious, but have you read Gideon the Ninth?

Yes. It's really good. I think lesbian characters in sci-fi/fantasy are a step ahead of gay characters; there are a number of really good authors out there writing books with awesome lesbian protagonists. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love Gideon but surely it too is an example of that trope, strictly applied...? Not that I personally mind, I think it was right for the story.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Admittedly there's tragic stuff that happens to most of the characters, but the Broken Earth trilogy has pretty solid representation imo, if you're up for more generally queer men.

Not so much the Jade City, but the later Green Bone Saga books have a character who's pretty central who has his own little gay love story going on, that doesn't end tragically.

Docile is basically 100% about a relationship between gay men. Kind of heavy on the sex and S&M for my taste, although it is in the service of the plot /world building /character development.

Six of Crows duology has a cute romance between two men that isn't like central, but is pretty solid imo.

E: actually not sure re Raven Tower, don't remember!

E2: this might be totally off base, or just a function of me reading more women/nb authors than men, but it feels like there's often more queer male rep by non-male authors than men; when men write queer characters it feels like they're more often women than men.

Maybe not an actual thing, and of course a whole host of issues with imputing gender/sexuality to particular authors, but it anecdotally feels true.

foutre fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2020

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

JTDistortion posted:

Yes. It's really good. I think lesbian characters in sci-fi/fantasy are a step ahead of gay characters; there are a number of really good authors out there writing books with awesome lesbian protagonists. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.

If you didn't mind the level of body horror and necromantic grossness in Gideon, I guess I can shill my own work at you, lol.

I write a web serial that was recently nominated for my country's top prize in fantasy writing (!!!). It's got a pretty wide-ranging ensemble cast overall, but two of the main characters are queer men who do eventually (ending spoilers) hook up and have a happily-ever-mostly even if they have to go through some serious poo poo and actually--groan--talk about their relationship to get there. For content warnings, the general grossness and body horror elements are (content spoilers) one of the main characters accidentally magically melds himself to a tree and needs to cut off an arm to get out, some side characters get dissolved into corpse goo, the general level of guns-and-machetes violence you'd expect in an 'early age of artillery' tech level fantasy book, and there's an attempted hanging.

Despite all the goopy gross spoilered bits above, I tried to keep it from steering into grimdark territory and the overall themes are getting over loss, knowing when to let your friends carry you, and learning to trust people you might once have thought of as abominations.

Normally I'd have PMed this because I'm super self-conscious about sharing this stuff but oh well I guess it's out there in the same judging packet as the Hugo this year so I'd better get used to it.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

foutre posted:

Admittedly there's tragic stuff that happens to most of the characters, but the Broken Earth trilogy has pretty solid representation imo, if you're up for more generally queer men.

Not so much the Jade City, but the later Green Bone Saga books have a character who's pretty central who has his own little gay love story going on, that doesn't end tragically.

Docile is basically 100% about a relationship between gay men. Kind of heavy on the sex and S&M for my taste, although it is in the service of the plot /world building /character development.

Six of Crows duology has a cute romance between two men that isn't like central, but is pretty solid imo.

E: actually not sure re Raven Tower, don't remember!

E2: this might be totally off base, or just a function of me reading more women/nb authors than men, but it feels like there's often more queer male rep by non-male authors than men; when men write queer characters it feels like they're more often women than men.

Maybe not an actual thing, and of course a whole host of issues with imputing gender/sexuality to particular authors, but it anecdotally feels true.

I've read Broken Earth, the Green Bone Saga books, and Raven Tower (I didn't catch what you said before your edit, but the central queer character in that book is a trans man. BTW if anyone hasn't read Raven Tower, do it.) I'll take a look at Docile and Six of Crows though, those are new to me. And yes, my own experiences would also indicate that there are a lot more queer male characters in books by non-male authors.

I'll give your web serial a look too, Anomalous. Web serials are kind of unexplored territory for me. I generally got most of my books through the local library system before the pandemic made them stop doing book transfers from all the various member libraries.

I think there might have been a bit of misunderstanding about my original post. I'm not opposed to tragic stuff or bad things happening to queer characters in a general sense; I just hate it when it feels arbitrary. Stuff like the Vagrant trilogy by Peter Newman or Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James don't end well for the queer guys in them, but the poo poo that happens feels like it's well tied into the story and is not just queer suffering for the sake of it. Sorcerer of the Wildeeps did not feel like that to me. It does a bit of setup, kills one guy, leaves the other heartbroken and alone again, and then promptly ends. The misery felt like the point, and that's what I can't stand.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

PawParole posted:

Have you read the Three-Body Problem trilogy yet? Humanity doesn't actually get conquered until a while in, but the first book is in large part about human collaborators.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

The books were terrific, highly recommended. The BBC adaptions was pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlla8-aLMX4

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Jedit posted:

Also there's Dread Empire's Fall by Walter Jon Williams, which is set after the aftermath when humanity has risen to a high position as a servitor race of a tyrannical alien empire.

read both of them, loved dread empires fall but I want the immediate aftermath of humans trying to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Just give me a first contact a theology and I’ll shut my dumb face