Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

rollick posted:

The only other fantasy campus novels I can think of are Tam Lin by Pamela Dean and The Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff. I guess Rothfuss too? Can't think of any SF ones.

Does Ender's Game count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I originally read The Magicians based on a recommendation, years ago, from this thread. I enjoyed it and I'm not ashamed of it. It wasn't perfect - come on, we're reading fantasy and sci-fi novels, what do you expect - but I enjoyed it. In fact maybe I enjoyed it because of the contempt the author has for the genre. I'm not saying his contempt is justified; people are allowed to enjoy things that other people don't. But maybe his contempt for the genre caused him to write something that was more novel than the pile of other fantasy books I've read.

So thanks for the recommendation, whoever posted that book in this thread years ago, and I hope we never get to the point where we think we're too cool to recommend books like The Magicians.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't know why people think Grossman doesn't like fantasy. In one interview he says:
"To say that I was a fantasy fan is an understatement. I read all the time. That was who I was. Lewis, Tolkien, Le Guin, Anne McAffrey, Piers Anthony, T.H. White, Fritz Lieber, Michael Moorcock … those are the writers who made me who I am. Plus, yeah, I played a lot of D&D. I was even a fan of that TV show, Wizards & Warriors. Remember that?

And yes, they followed me into adulthood. (Well, not W&W, but the others.) In a way it’s weird that it took me this long to start writing fantasy. I don’t think I was ready. It was too much of a big deal to me."

"I spent a long time living with one foot in the world of conventional novels, as a graduate student in literature and then later as a professional book reviewer. When you sit down to write a novel about people who cast spells for a living, you say goodbye to that world. Not that I was going to win a National Book Award anyway, but when you do that you can’t even PRETEND that you’re going to win a National Book Award. You just give all that up. I’ve made my peace with that. There wasn’t even really a choice. Fantasy was what I wanted.

Though I do think the climate has changed for fantastic fiction. Harry Potter helped change it, just in terms of expanding mainstream awareness of the genre. The real turning of the tide, at least for me personally, was Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, a book so fantastical and so beautiful that critics on all sides were forced to bow down before it."

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rollick posted:

The only other fantasy campus novels I can think of are Tam Lin by Pamela Dean and The Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff. I guess Rothfuss too? Can't think of any SF ones.

Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch stories aren't exactly campus novels, but there's a fair number of scenes set in and around the classrooms where Light Others are taught.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I found the Magicians trilogy to be uneven but overall pretty good. I did like that the third book ends with a giant metaphor for intertextuality as Quentin's world literally provides a bridge back to Fillory. Doing a reread with the ending in mind was enjoyable. A lot of fantasy books can be read with magic as an analogue for art in general or writing in particular, of course, but I enjoyed Grossman's spin on it. There were a lot parts that dragged or seemed ill-advised to me. The (book 2)fox god stuff in particular -- woof.

Also, this:

Ccs posted:

The real turning of the tide, at least for me personally, was Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, a book so fantastical and so beautiful that critics on all sides were forced to bow down before it.

I can't speak to effects on the industry or the genre, but for me personally, Susanna Clarke was a revelation.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I started reading The Black Prism by Brent Weeks yesterday and bounced off of it by chapter two. I was in the mood for semi-generic epic fantasy that I hadn't already read, but when it started painstakingly describing the apparent protagonist casting what seemed to be a inconsequential spell to start his day, before it told me much of anything about the character, I decided it wasn't what I wanted at the moment. I have since switched to City of Stairs instead which is not semi-generic high fantasy, but I'm already liking it pretty early on, and it's come recommended to me by friends I trust.

I'm mostly wondering, should I try Black Prism again some other time? I didn't strongly dislike it or anything, nor did I give it near enough time to be fair to it, it just wasn't what I wanted at the time. It seems to be very popular. And I am typically unapologetically all for high/epic fantasy when the mood strikes me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

A Scifi comic by NK Jemisin. Issues 1-7 - $0.99 each
Far Sector #1 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXDF93H

This is Jemisin writing a Green Lantern story, and those are always better the further from Earth you get. It's pretty out there.

darkgray posted:

I vaguely remember thinking (part of) this was great, many many years ago.

Armor is all great. The powered armor bugs&despair sequences are great in their own way. The rest of the book is about the kinds of psychological armor that people put on, and they're also great. I don't think anybody who reads it will ever forget the puppy story.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm quitting Alistair Reynolds's Terminal World a third of the way in. The beginning of the novel sets up a fascinating scenario of technologies but he really just wants to write some steampunk mad max poo poo and I am not interested at all :shrug:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm mostly wondering, should I try Black Prism again some other time? I didn't strongly dislike it or anything, nor did I give it near enough time to be fair to it, it just wasn't what I wanted at the time. It seems to be very popular. And I am typically unapologetically all for high/epic fantasy when the mood strikes me.

I read all of them, and it was very much a, "this isn't that great but I want to find out what happens," situation. And then the ending wasn't very good.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I posted like 20 pages back about each book because I just read these myself. The TL;DR:

The Black Prism is overall good, minus the author's need to have women boobily boobing everywhere.

The Blinding Knife was also fine but has an obvious cliffhanger.

The Broken Eye starts going off the rails. The Blood Mirror was :doh: and then The Burning White was just :fuckoff: Weeks that's a dumpster fire of an ending. I was so pissed off at the end that I'm glad I only bought the first book and borrowed the rest from the library and I still felt ripped off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

rollick posted:

For superheroes there's Drew Hayes' Superpowereds. It's on the edge of being progression fantasy as there's a fair amount of focus on the training itself, but there's still lots of college shenanigans.

Edit: actually for progression fantasy there's a decent number with a magic school on some level: Mother of Learning, Arcane Ascension, Mage Errant, Iron Prince all come to mind. Iron Prince is basically science fantasy and feels like Cradle got crossed with Ender's Game.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 6, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Does Ender's Game count?

I think Ender's game is in a different category to school or campus novels -- maybe more in line with Starship Troopers idk.

There's a great bit in Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy where one of the vampires spends 200 pages going to Harvard. I remember wishing the whole series was like that, rather than the shoddy post-apocalyptic thing it ended up being.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/dedbutdrmng/status/1358048927203868672

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

Eon (The Way #1) by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU5RC/

Earthseed: The Complete Series by Octavia E Butler - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NZBPFG/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. I was really enjoying it, but had been primed to think of it as lighter than works like The Folding Knife. But it’s about the same level of grim, where competence against great odds rules for much of the narrative before it all comes crashing down. In fact The Folding Knife might end happier because Basso survives, whereas this protagonist doesn’t. But the city he was defending might survive, its ambiguous.

I’ll probably pick up the next Seige book by Parker but I’m not expecting any happy endings anymore.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ccs posted:

So I finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. I was really enjoying it, but had been primed to think of it as lighter than works like The Folding Knife. But it’s about the same level of grim, where competence against great odds rules for much of the narrative before it all comes crashing down. In fact The Folding Knife might end happier because Basso survives, whereas this protagonist doesn’t. But the city he was defending might survive, its ambiguous.

I’ll probably pick up the next Seige book by Parker but I’m not expecting any happy endings anymore.

By Parker standards, that was a happy ending.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, what turned me off the Engineer trilogy wasn't the tragic end that the protagonist was riding towards (presumably; I DNFed), it was the fact that I don't actually want to read three books of a sociopathic manipulator teaming up with a serial rapist to commit as much genocide as humanly possible before they finally get taken down, starting with the only actually likeable characters.

So yeah, if the protagonist dies at the end but your reaction is "oh no" rather than "loving finally", that is probably comparatively upbeat.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Vol 18b has been a rough tiring read. Every further post I read has me considering abandoning future detailed SFL Archives readthroughs in favor of reading the highly curated Ansible UK newsletter and seeing what new interesting things the Del Rey Books monthly newsletter contains.

So many things I give zero-f*cks about or actively loathe keep coming up. Robert Heinlein, Miles Vorkosigan, Tim Powers, SeaQuest DSV, Ursula LeGuin, Neal Stephenson, CJ Cherryh, Samuel Delany, Stephen Donaldson, Hugo Awards, Star Trek Voyager, Libertarianism in SF, the deepness of Heinlein/Heinlein defense squad, everything X-Files, TOR Books editors giving hot takes, Daniel Keys Moran worship, recommended Libertarian fiction reading lists, SF&F convention drama, kickoff of the Deep Space Nine versus Babylon Five fandom war, etc.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Really liked this one, pretty grim pirate book on a failing water world where the ships are made of extinct dragon bones.

Non as gritty as that dark assassin series by the same author but still not cosy at all.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

SFL Archives Vol 18b has been a rough tiring read. Every further post I read has me considering abandoning future detailed SFL Archives readthroughs in favor of reading the highly curated Ansible UK newsletter and seeing what new interesting things the Del Rey Books monthly newsletter contains.

So many things I give zero-f*cks about or actively loathe keep coming up. Robert Heinlein, Miles Vorkosigan, Tim Powers, SeaQuest DSV, Ursula LeGuin, Neal Stephenson, CJ Cherryh, Samuel Delany, Stephen Donaldson, Hugo Awards, Star Trek Voyager, Libertarianism in SF, the deepness of Heinlein/Heinlein defense squad, everything X-Files, TOR Books editors giving hot takes, Daniel Keys Moran worship, recommended Libertarian fiction reading lists, SF&F convention drama, kickoff of the Deep Space Nine versus Babylon Five fandom war, etc.

Couple things from the latest:

quote:

Langford maintained/ran the Ansible newsletter as of 1993, unsure who currently manages ANSIBLE

Ansible is Langford's baby through and through, latest issue here : https://news.ansible.uk/a403.html

quote:

Yet another attempt by SFLer Jeremy York to drum up interest in a comic book series called BEANWOR

Beanworld is great and it's a shame there's not more of it, imo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

fritz posted:

Yeah! It's quite unlike everything else I know of.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

fritz posted:

Couple things from the latest:

Groke posted:

Yeah! It's quite unlike everything else I know of.
Thanks for the 2nd set of eyes. Fixing the BEANWOR uncompleted word on the offsite readthrough blog right now.
e: it wasn't broken on the offsite blog, did fix a few things in the 1993 pop-culture mentions.

Each time BEANWORLD gets promoted, the same teaser description is used.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
It works like this: Gran'Ma'Pa provides a sprout-butt. The
beans take the sprout-butt to the Hoi-Polloi Ring Herd and perform a
violent exchange that nets the beans a supply of chow; they leave the
sprout-butt as compensation. The beans then dissolve the chow and soak in
it to gain their nourishment. The Hoi-Polloi turn the sprout-butt into
more chow, which they use as currency in their endless gambling games.

The food chain is simple at first glance, but then you have to ask what the
Hoi-Polloi get in the exchange, what does Gran'Ma'Pa get out of this, and
just who ARE all these players? The brief description also doesn't reveal
the balance of the system, and how it might respond to stress.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

it sounded like gibberish the first time the BEANWORLD setting got promoted, it still sounds like gibberish the 8th? time around.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 7, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGJ32A6/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I blazed through the sequel to 16 Ways to Defend a Walled City, How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It. The title is a double meaning and the tone of the entire book is probably the most lighthearted Parker has ever been. It makes me think that since revealing he was Tom Holt he’s stopped being so relentlessly grim. Or he got that out of his system with earlier novels.

The beginning of the sequel also starts with a bit that seems to be chiding readers who didn’t like the downer ending of the first book.

The blurb for the book shows the laziness of publishers though. At first I thought this book would take place in a neighbouring city also under seige and not be a direct sequel because it says “the citizens of Classis”. The first book establishes that’s a nearby city that houses military equipment. The actual place the whole book takes place is The City, which is never referred to by anything else. I’m surprised the author didn’t get them to correct that.

The other slight oversight in this book is they mention the man who the protagonist is impersonating was carrying on affairs with both men and women, but tended towards men. So I was surprised that whoever his main male consort had been never made an appearance wondering what was up. It can be explained away by the Emperors handlers controlling who sees him, I guess, but it would have been an opportunity for drama. I’m guessing Parker just didn’t want to get into too much additional relationship stuff and was maybe not interested in writing a gay character.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 7, 2021

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

pradmer posted:

Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGJ32A6/

Edit: Some Craig Schaefer books on sale.
The Long Way Down (Daniel Faust #1) - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYIUH8O/
White Gold Score (Daniel Faust #1.5) - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C86LWS2/
Sworn to the Night (Wisdom's Grave #1) - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078S7SK9T/
Winter's Reach (Revanche Cyle #1) - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PA0T0W4/
The Complete Revanche Cycle - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VZRD8D/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rollick posted:

Harry Potter is in part a fantasy take on the classic British boarding school novel.

I want to see a Harry Potter book from the POV of a muggle, particularly one with wizard family members because it'd probably read like a conspiracy theory horror story.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to see a Harry Potter book from the POV of a muggle, particularly one with wizard family members because it'd probably read like a conspiracy theory horror story.
I'm going to leap headfirst into this trap and say that D&D crossover fanfiction Harry Potter and the Natural 20 greatly improves when a muggle cop side character is introduced for precisely this reason.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Potter from the perspective of Neville Longbottom would also be this

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm going to leap headfirst into this trap and say that D&D crossover fanfiction Harry Potter and the Natural 20 greatly improves when a muggle cop side character is introduced for precisely this reason.
Once she starts using a tape recorder to leave messages to herself that she can't be Memory Charmed out of she's pretty drat great

or the joke where the wizards showed up and literally smashed her computer Zoolander-style

quantumfoam posted:

it sounded like gibberish the first time the BEANWORLD setting got promoted, it still sounds like gibberish the 8th? time around.
Oh, it absolutely is, it's just good gibberish. A bunch of it got posted in the byob webcomics thread a ways back and it did not take long for everyone to go from "what the hell is this" to enjoying the hell out of it.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Ccs posted:

So I blazed through the sequel to 16 Ways to Defend a Walled City, How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It. The title is a double meaning and the tone of the entire book is probably the most lighthearted Parker has ever been. It makes me think that since revealing he was Tom Holt he’s stopped being so relentlessly grim. Or he got that out of his system with earlier novels.

The beginning of the sequel also starts with a bit that seems to be chiding readers who didn’t like the downer ending of the first book.

Oh please Author, tell me more about your Opinions on the differences between Literature and Mass Market Media

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I'm now reading what might be one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read? Still too early to say but scene-wise, this has had passages that haven't been equaled in other work I've encountered. The book is Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman.

quote:

The year is 1348. Thomas, a disgraced knight, has found a young girl alone in a dead Norman village. An orphan of the Black Death, and an almost unnerving picture of innocence, she tells Thomas that plague is only part of a larger cataclysm—that the fallen angels under Lucifer are rising in a second war on heaven, and that the world of men has fallen behind the lines of conflict.

I wasn't totally sold by this blurb. Badass knight ferrying a defenseless yet mystical individual across and unforgiving landscape sounds good, but angels and demons have never really been my thing. But holy hell the story makes good use of the religious imagery.

There's a fight with a demon in a lake fairly early on that is incredibly tense, brutal, and unnerving. Up until that point all the talk of devils was metaphorical, but here the character comes face to face with something that's not of this world. And the next bit is even better, where they come across a castle that is oddly immune to the plague, and what seems welcoming devolves from there.

I haven't had much patience for grim work that wasn't filled with gallows humor, which is why I gravitate to Abercrombie and Parker. They temper their violence with plenty of cynical asides. Buehlman doesn't have time for that. He's writing about a world in which pure good and pure evil evidently exist in the form of supernatural entities, so snark about the morally grey nature of the universe wouldn't work. What has to carry the book is the imagery, tension, and amount we come to care about the characters, and so far he's knocking it out of the park.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 8, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ccs posted:

So I'm now reading what might be one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read? Still too early to say but scene-wise, this has had passages that haven't been equaled in other work I've encountered. The book is Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman.

I wasn't totally sold by this blurb. Badass knight ferrying a defenseless yet mystical individual across and unforgiving landscape sounds good, but angels and demons have never really been my thing. But holy hell the story makes good use of the religious imagery.

There's a fight with a demon in a lake fairly early on that is incredibly tense, brutal, and unnerving. Up until that point all the talk of devils was metaphorical, but here the character comes face to face with something that's not of this world. And the next bit is even better, where they come across a castle that is oddly immune to the plague, and what seems welcoming devolves from there.

I haven't had much patience from grim work that wasn't filled with gallows humor, which is why I gravitate to Abercrombie and Parker. They temper their violence with plenty of cynical asides. Buehlman doesn't have time for that. He's writing about a world in which pure good and pure evil evidently exist in the form of supernatural entities, so snark about the morally grey nature of the universe wouldn't work. What has to carry the book is the imagery, tension, and amount we come to care about the characters, and so far he's knocking it out of the park.

This is a good post, and I'm off to pick up this book. Thanks!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Against a Dark Background by Iain M. Banks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CT0TXK

Once again a Banks title I've never seen on sale before. Yay!

Edit:
Transition by Iain M. Banks - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Transition-Iain-M-Banks-ebook/dp/B002O0Q6YS

Transition is on sale as well, but I'm honestly not sure if this fits in this thread. It was published in the US under the "M" name, while in the UK under his non-SciFi name, Iain Banks.
Anyone who can comment on this title?

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 8, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's definitely SF. Loads of dimension hopping and weird poo poo. Plus a man gets a mysterious finger stuck up his bum which I'm sure qualifies as fantasy for someone.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ccs posted:

I haven't had much patience for grim work that wasn't filled with gallows humor, which is why I gravitate to Abercrombie and Parker. They temper their violence with plenty of cynical asides. Buehlman doesn't have time for that. He's writing about a world in which pure good and pure evil evidently exist in the form of supernatural entities, so snark about the morally grey nature of the universe wouldn't work. What has to carry the book is the imagery, tension, and amount we come to care about the characters, and so far he's knocking it out of the park.

If it holds up by the end, you just picked my next book for me, this sounds great. Let us know how you feel about it once you've reached the conclusion, please!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Yeah that's BEANWORLD, it's not something that's suitable for description.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thank you SFL Archives for these two things.

&&&&&&&&&&&&
According to the December issue of Locus. George R.R. Martin sold an epic
fantasy trilogy, "A Song of Ice and Fire," to Bantam for a large amount of
money. The three titles are:

A Game of Thrones
A Dance With Dragons
The Winds of Winter

Bad news is that the first novel isn't due until early 1996.
&&&&&&&&&&&&

&&&&&&&&&&&&
THE LAST DEADLOSS VISIONS

An enquiry into the non-appearance of
Harlan Ellison's
THE LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS

written by Christopher Priest

with comments from:

Brian Aldiss
Michael Bishop
Graham Charnock
John Christopher
Harry Harrison
Barry Malzberg
George R.R. Martin
Charles Platt
Bob Shaw
Ian Watson
(...and many others)

Copyright (c) 1987 - 1994 Christopher Priest. All rights reserved.
Published in England
&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
anything interesting come up about Wheel of Time?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ccs posted:

I haven't had much patience for grim work that wasn't filled with gallows humor, which is why I gravitate to Abercrombie and Parker. They temper their violence with plenty of cynical asides.

I'm going to nudge you towards Glen Cook, particularly the Black Company and Dread Empire series. The narrator changes from book to book, but the first and most common, Croaker, is one cynical son of a bitch. I think you'll like him. Dread Empire uses a third person narrator, but none of the characters are afraid of taking the piss out of anyone who needs it, especially Mocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Revenger by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MV2Z1C/

I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JVCHEMU/

The Alchemy Wars series by Ian Tregillis - $2.99/$1.99/$2.99