Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

I'm like 2 chapters in but I'll let you know :haibrower:

so far seems fun even if it's basically just The Martian again

It's on my too read list, and if it's basically "The Martian 2" I would be completely satisfied with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

Are those novellas cool to read if you’ve not finished Paladin of Souls and Hallowed Hunt?

Absolutely. Just start with Penric's Demon.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Speaking of high school science fiction classes, I took one where we read the anthology Decades of Science Fiction and I regard it as one of the best semesters I had. The book did a great job of placing each story into the context of the time it was written and really made me appreciate SF as a cultural artifact.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

I'm like 2 chapters in but I'll let you know :haibrower:

so far seems fun even if it's basically just The Martian again

It is and it isn't, and the points of divergence are what give me mixed feelings about it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/
Topical

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a good (edit: or really just any) re-imaginging of Journey to the West? I'm not looking for one of the actual translations but an entertaining remake of it. Like how I might read Cursed for an alternate take on the Arthurian tales or the Song of Achilles for a different point of view of the events in the Illiad. Something that is drawing directly from book in some way and not re-telling the themes in a different world altogether, or even just remaking the story in a modern format.

nessin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 12, 2021

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

nessin posted:

Is there a good (edit: or really just any) re-imaginging of Journey to the West? I'm not looking for one of the actual translations but an entertaining remake of it. Like how I might read Cursed for an alternate take on the Arthurian tales or the Song of Achilles for a different point of view of the events in the Illiad. Something that is drawing directly from book in some way and not re-telling the themes in a different world altogether, or even just remaking the story in a modern format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoNlV9GH6E

Learn spanish

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Paddyo posted:

It is and it isn't, and the points of divergence are what give me mixed feelings about it.

I haven't read it, but the Penny Arcade guys think it is pretty similar.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2021/05/10/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished SFL Archives Volume 20b and immediately dived into Volume 21a (1996).
It was a tough call, but the Godzilla vs Gamera cage-match at Osaka Expo 1971 was my favorite weird thing mentioned in Vol 20b. Stunt-actors wearing the actual Godzilla & Gamera kaiju suits fought each other on-stage.

Within the first two weeks in SFL Archives Volume 21a, someone has made a joking-not-joking plea for the Unabomber to bomb NBC Televisions offices in California for the horrific crimes of greenlighting the following SFF tv series: SeaQuest DSV/Earth 2/3rd Rock from the Sun, and some utter dumbass named Harry Knowles has started bombarding the SFL mailing list with tons of upcoming movie & tv show news/movie & tv show casting rumors.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I'm always jealous of people who said they got to read classic or even good literature in high school. I remember having a breakdown in the middle of class after having to read countless awful novels and novelizations of theater plays.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'm always jealous of people who said they got to read classic or even good literature in high school. I remember having a breakdown in the middle of class after having to read countless awful novels and novelizations of theater plays.

Nothing beats the joy of spending a month of classes listening to classmates sound out their way through "Julius Caesar" and "Romeo and Juliet" one. wo-wo-word. at. a. time. I didn't touch a novel for fun for 7 or 8 years after high school.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

John Lee posted:

Bret Devereaux is also good for stuff like this! Here's a link to one of my favorites:

https://acoup.blog/2020/07/24/collections-bread-how-did-they-make-it-part-i-farmers/

Yup love it!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BurningBeard posted:

Are those novellas cool to read if you’ve not finished Paladin of Souls and Hallowed Hunt?

I fell off Paladin for some weird reason. Was really digging it but at this point I’d have to start over.

The Penric novellas are standalones set somewhere between Hallowed Hunt and Curse/Paladin

Gats Akimbo posted:

He wrote some awesome short stories too, but yeah, it's definitely best to believe he only ever wrote 2 novels.

For the longest time,d ecades, I've had a copy of all old SF amagazine with the first part of a really bizarre, totally off the wall novel in it. I never laid hands on the next couple of issues to find out where that bizarre plot was going. Eventually it settled into this minor literary mystery that popped into my head occasionally. Then a couple of years ago I picked up a SF ebook bundle and discovered that what I had was part one of Bester's The Computer Connection.

I'd have been happier carrying that mystery to my grave. Don't be like me. Don't read The Computer Connection. Just loving don't go there. There's nothing wrong with the prose, but most of those sentences just shouldn't be. To say nothing of the paragraphs and chapters.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

I fell off Paladin for some weird reason. Was really digging it but at this point I’d have to start over.

There are spoilers for how the metaphysics of the setting works (which are usually treated as big revelations in the non-Penric novels but in the Penric novellas are just kind of explained) but other than that you're good.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

No. No more dancing! posted:

Nothing beats the joy of spending a month of classes listening to classmates sound out their way through "Julius Caesar" and "Romeo and Juliet" one. wo-wo-word. at. a. time. I didn't touch a novel for fun for 7 or 8 years after high school.

Maybe being 14 and yelled at for not understanding dactylic hexameter? I would rate that as pretty joyful myself

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I mostly recall Bradbury just completely losing his mind over the concept of e-books.

Yeah, Bradbury was a cantankerous nutter in his late years. I remember him getting into a spat with Michael Moore because Moore had the temerity to title one of his movies Fahrenheit 9/11.

On the other hand, I think The Halloween Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes are wonderful, so.... artist and art, once again.

Gats Akimbo posted:

He wrote some awesome short stories too, but yeah, it's definitely best to believe he only ever wrote 2 novels.

Golem100 has some interesting ideas, I think, but it's mostly just bizarre and downbeat. But "Fondly Fahrenheit" is still one of my favorite SF short stories.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

nessin posted:

Is there a good (edit: or really just any) re-imaginging of Journey to the West? I'm not looking for one of the actual translations but an entertaining remake of it.

Counterpoint: learn Cantonese!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1459024/

I watched this as a kid with my parents who videotaped all of the episodes in VHS and it was the best thing ever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leng posted:

Counterpoint: learn Cantonese!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1459024/

I watched this as a kid with my parents who videotaped all of the episodes in VHS and it was the best thing ever.

There's no way that's ever going to be better than Monkey.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

nessin posted:

Not what you are asking for but I was interested to find out that the JttW sci fi video game adaptation Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was co-written by Alex Garland who went on to write and direct the movies Dredd, Annihilation, Ex Machina, etc.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Selachian posted:

"Fondly Fahrenheit" is still one of my favorite SF short stories.

The Flowered Thundermug or GTFO.

I love that idiotic story so much. Still surprised no-one's ever done an adaptation, though I suppose there aren't many directors who could go as gonzo as it deserves.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember a while back someone was looking for gay romance fantasy or something like that. Just got a recommendation for Jordan Hawk, specifically his Whyborne series. Haven't read it myself but it's apparently supposed to be good. Looks like it's set in Victorian times, so I dunno if it's steampunk or straight up urban fantasy or what, but it probably contains some gay smoochin' at least. First book is 99 cents on Amazon currently.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I remember a while back someone was looking for gay romance fantasy or something like that. Just got a recommendation for Jordan Hawk, specifically his Whyborne series. Haven't read it myself but it's apparently supposed to be good. Looks like it's set in Victorian times, so I dunno if it's steampunk or straight up urban fantasy or what, but it probably contains some gay smoochin' at least. First book is 99 cents on Amazon currently.

I believe it's just magic/paranormal in a Victorian setting. It's an extremely large niche in the MM Romance scene... I read way too may trash romances dear god why do I know this.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

Yeah, Bradbury was a cantankerous nutter in his late years. I remember him getting into a spat with Michael Moore because Moore had the temerity to title one of his movies Fahrenheit 9/11.

On the other hand, I think The Halloween Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes are wonderful, so.... artist and art, once again.

Bradbury also famously despised the whole concept of video games, and felt he didn't ever need a computer since he already had a typewriter, he was a very weird sort of paradoxical luddite that wanted an imaginative sci-fi future, but only one that ensconced and perpetuated a very specific slice of zeitgeist from his childhood.

I think in some ways he may fall out of context faster than a lot of his contemporaries (if he hasn't already, I don't have a great read on that), since his sci-fi stories tend to depict a very specific vision of the future that has already been made pretty silly and obsolete by modern technology, even moreso than some of Clarke or Asimov's ideas. Bradbury's non-sci-fi stuff definitely holds up better.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

No. No more dancing! posted:

Yeah, I threw kind of a hissy fit when we had to do that for a novel called Tears of a Tiger. The school thought that after three of our classmates were killed by a drunk driver that we needed to read it. It was a pretty bad book. I got a detention for my outburst, but my teacher agreed that it wasn't good and with the help of my mother, they got the school to change its reading curriculum (which didn't go into effect until I graduated). In the meantime, my mom and my teacher recommended Vonnegut to me and he remains my favorite writer to this day.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I have pretty fond memories of highschool english classes. We did have to read some Shakespear but our teacher showed us the soviet version of Hamlet which is goddamn great. Some incredible shot composition.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Gats Akimbo posted:

The Flowered Thundermug or GTFO.

I love that idiotic story so much. Still surprised no-one's ever done an adaptation, though I suppose there aren't many directors who could go as gonzo as it deserves.

It's so good.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Bradbury's non-sci-fi stuff definitely holds up better.

A lot of it is really different than I would have thought. I have a short story collection of his non sci-fi stuff. One of them is about an old womanizer who wakes up one day to a rare boner and calls his exes to come over and marvel over it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

bagrada posted:

Not what you are asking for but I was interested to find out that the JttW sci fi video game adaptation Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was co-written by Alex Garland who went on to write and direct the movies Dredd, Annihilation, Ex Machina, etc.

I've heard stories about Garland having to explain basic writing concepts to the Ninja Theory people during the development of that game. Like he had to convince them a main character that whined and threw screaming fits would not actually come across as a tough, stoic and pragmatic character. (And yet somehow these people produced Hellblade, so I guess they did learn something in the end)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Finished the Cry Pilot trilogy. Solid 3/5, fun characters, predictable plot, not enough mechs / murder. Way too much bootcamp. Very, very gay.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

[Bradbury's] sci-fi stories tend to depict a very specific vision of the future that has already been made pretty silly and obsolete by modern technology

Dunno if The Veldt is sci fi exactly, but basically every new technology that catches on reminds me of it!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Yeah, I threw kind of a hissy fit when we had to do that for a novel called Tears of a Tiger. The school thought that after three of our classmates were killed by a drunk driver that we needed to read it.

"Our trauma based curriculum helps students to succeed in life"

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

ninguno posted:

Dunno if The Veldt is sci fi exactly, but basically every new technology that catches on reminds me of it!

The Veldt is just an episode of Black Mirror

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

tokenbrownguy posted:

Finished the Cry Pilot trilogy. Solid 3/5, fun characters, predictable plot, not enough mechs / murder. Way too much bootcamp. Very, very gay.

Has anyone figured out who the author is?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Spite posted:

Has anyone figured out who the author is?

Was the bio at the end of the first book fake or something?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i read cry pilot and liked it ok and was like "oh well at least in the sequel there won't be a bootcamp or whatever" and audibly said "ARe you loving kidding me" when it started

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Phobeste posted:

i read cry pilot and liked it ok and was like "oh well at least in the sequel there won't be a bootcamp or whatever" and audibly said "ARe you loving kidding me" when it started

Wait, he did it again?

I only read the first one, and that had plenty of boot camp for me.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

a foolish pianist posted:

Was the bio at the end of the first book fake or something?

When I looked up the author last, his website was pretty clear that the name he uses for the Cry Pilot books is a pen name ("Joel Dane is the pseudonym of a full time writer." is what I keep seeing online). But the rest of the bio seems real besides the name? There's an interview where he talks about it a little bit too ( https://paulsemel.com/exclusive-interview-cry-pilot-author-joel-dane/ )

From that interview posted:

And is that why your bio also doesn’t say what books, movies, or TV shows you’ve written?

Yeah. Also, I enjoy being new and mysterious.

I actually wanted to create a whole “Joel Dane” persona by making wild claims in the bio —”Dane was born in a submarine off the coast of New Zealand…” — but my publisher, being hidebound and reactionary — and, y’know, professional — made me stay honest.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

a foolish pianist posted:

Wait, he did it again?

I only read the first one, and that had plenty of boot camp for me.

Yeah lol. The second book opens with that same weird like step by step instruction boot camp thing and some exposition.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Going to laugh hard if the CryPilot author turns out to be Ernest Cline or Wesley Chu.

Read the 1949 novel Witches of Karres then the expanded 1966 novel. Both were good, and had strong female characters.
The non-original author follow-up to Witches of Karres by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer, however had me noping out 2 pages in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

quantumfoam posted:

Going to laugh hard if the CryPilot author turns out to be Ernest Cline or Wesley Chu.

Read the 1949 novel Witches of Karres then the expanded 1966 novel. Both were good, and had strong female characters.
The non-original author follow-up to Witches of Karres by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer, however had me noping out 2 pages in.

Yeah, Schmitz is usually fun. I could do without male characters commenting on Trigger Argee's arse, but Demon Breed is terrific and anything with Telzey Amberdon is going to be entertaining.