Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I'd love to say that I'm sorry that it pissed the author off and perhaps made some extra work for you, but that's really funny to me. Anyway sorry Graydon but out of book lore/context detracts from the book, imo, although clearly some people don't think that.

It frankly sucks pretty bad that you don't really care that you ruined something a lot of other people enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, if he's gonna delete it because I said I didn't care that people were leaking his spoilers, then that's funny. I really don't think I had anything to do with that unless I'm somehow the only person to have ever voiced that opinion. But like if you don't want people to spread stuff then you shouldn't tell people it. That's just like... Basic social skills, it's not even an Internet thing.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean, if he's gonna delete it because I said I didn't care that people were leaking his spoilers, then that's funny. I really don't think I had anything to do with that unless I'm somehow the only person to have ever voiced that opinion. But like if you don't want people to spread stuff then you shouldn't tell people it. That's just like... Basic social skills, it's not even an Internet thing.

Sometimes people do things as a polite request. That's another kind of social skills. And yes, your posts were explicitly cited as the reason for the decision he made to shut things down, because someone who knew about the Google Group had said publicly that they did not give a poo poo about the polite request, and so it was time to shut things down.

Edit: Because, let's be clear, you didn't just say that you thought leaking spoilers was funny, you said that you would do whatever you want and nobody could stop you. Not precisely a prosocial attitude.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danhenge posted:

Sometimes people do things as a polite request. That's another kind of social skills. And yes, your posts were explicitly cited as the reason for the decision he made to shut things down, because someone who knew about the Google Group had said publicly that they did not give a poo poo about the polite request, and so it was time to shut things down.

Edit: Because, let's be clear, you didn't just say that you thought leaking spoilers was funny, you said that you would do whatever you want and nobody could stop you. Not precisely a prosocial attitude.

I don't know about the Google group. I knew of it, but I've never looked at it, cuz imo anything not in the book isn't part of it and would just irritate me if I knew about it. I merely considered Mr. Saunders to have a strange take, which I also didn't care about. If I'm really the root cause and effect, then sorry, but... That's really weird if I am. I just commented on it!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Basic social skills dictate that when someone asks you to do something, you don't go and do the opposite just to spite them, and then laugh when they get annoyed at you being a dick.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't know about the Google group. I knew of it, but I've never looked at it, cuz imo anything not in the book isn't part of it and would just irritate me if I knew about it. I merely considered Mr. Saunders to have a strange take, which I also didn't care about. If I'm really the root cause and effect, then sorry, but... That's really weird if I am. I just commented on it!

Indeed, it turns out that sometimes acting like a goofy internet shithead has consequences! Who knew?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Basic social skills dictate that when someone asks you to do something, you don't go and do the opposite just to spite them, and then laugh when they get annoyed at you being a dick.

The only part of that which I actually did was find the whole idea funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Let's not turn this thread into the "does Larry Parish suck y/n" thread. For better or worse Larry is not a book

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let's not turn this thread into the "does Larry Parish suck y/n" thread. For better or worse Larry is not a book
What if we turn Larry into a book?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There is a misunderstanding though leading to this dustup that should be clarified for those concerned. Larry did not leak anything he simply observed that obviously someone is going to leak it sooner or later and Saunders agreed. This is not Larry's fault and getting mad at him about it will probably only make him laugh harder.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2022

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sorry, I'll drop it. Hadn't planned to say much of anything originally, didn't seem to be much point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh right, nevermind then.

That er...Le Guin eh? Pretty loving rad. Finished the complete Tales of Earthsea not long ago, and while I think the first two books are the strongest, that was a drat satisfying ending. I also really enjoyed the short story featuring a mad wizard obsessed with eating mercury and then extracting it from his poo poo to eat again. That was a lot more wild than anything I was expecting.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Everyone posted:

The short answer is that he saved the universe. The slightly less short answer is that he didn't save the universe so much as bring it back to life after some as yet unintroduced force murdered it. The Emperor seems like 95% of a pretty decent person who really wishes there weren't all this fuss and bother so he could hang out with his newly introduced daughter. And then 5% of somebody horrifically hosed up in ways that would make serial killers of children seem sane and compassionate by comparison.

I don't really have anyone to share this with, so my personal theory on what happened is:

So we've been told that dying planets generate thanergy, which is what makes necromancy possible. I think that what happened is that the Earth crossed the tipping point to where complete biosphere failure was inevitable and necromancy was discovered.

Emperor John was either particularly powerful or extra clever (both), and he found out that if he killed the whole planet (10 billion people) all at once, he'd gain enough power to bring some people back and do whatever Solaris stuff to the sun that needed to happen, if indeed that was a real thing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Not really sci fi/fantasy but since it has been discussed here before, I finished the first Master and Commander audiobook. While Patrick Tull was really great as the narrator, I kind of wish I'd read it instead to absorb all the nautical language. I might grab the novel later for a reread while using that website that tracks their progress around maps of the seas and maybe watching the movie or some youtubes to see what stays'ls and mains'ls look like in action.

First book plot spoiler It is kind of strange that the first person action ends 3/4 through the book. The teased big battle is offscreen with only a bit seen through telescopes at night, and the final legal drama ends things very abruptly. I'll have to grab book 2 to see how that goes after a short break for an easier listen for a while.

Overall it took me back to watching old pirate shows with my grandfathers and made me want to rewatch Yellowbeard and Pirates of the Caribbean, revisit the Monkey Island games, and dig out my copy of On Stranger Tides. Even though the O'Brien series is about state sanctioned piracy instead of the classical freebooting rogues.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 1, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

bagrada posted:

Not really sci fi/fantasy but since it has been discussed here before, I finished the first Master and Commander audiobook. While Patrick Tull was really great as the narrator, I kind of wish I'd read it instead to absorb all the nautical language. I might grab the novel later for a reread while using that website that tracks their progress around maps of the seas and maybe watching the movie or some youtubes to see what stays'ls and mains'ls look like in action.

First book plot spoiler It is kind of strange that the first person action ends 3/4 through the book. The teased big battle is offscreen with only a bit seen through telescopes at night, and the final legal drama ends things very abruptly. I'll have to grab book 2 to see how that goes after a short break for an easier listen for a while.

Overall it took me back to watching old pirate shows with my grandfathers and made me want to rewatch Yellowbeard and Pirates of the Caribbean, revisit the Monkey Island games, and dig out my copy of On Stranger Tides. Even though the O'Brien series is about state sanctioned piracy instead of the classical freebooting rogues.

I find it's very enjoyable to read those books with a copy of "A Sea of Words" at hand, so I can look up terms as I need to.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I don't really have anyone to share this with, so my personal theory on what happened is:

So we've been told that dying planets generate thanergy, which is what makes necromancy possible. I think that what happened is that the Earth crossed the tipping point to where complete biosphere failure was inevitable and necromancy was discovered.

Emperor John was either particularly powerful or extra clever (both), and he found out that if he killed the whole planet (10 billion people) all at once, he'd gain enough power to bring some people back and do whatever Solaris stuff to the sun that needed to happen, if indeed that was a real thing.

I don't think that fits with the Emperor being apparently obsessed with pursuing some enemy that he seems to blame for why he did the "Big Necro Thing" to begin with. Plus, we also kind of know that he didn't kill one planet. He killed nine (maybe Pluto counts again) because of the nine Resurrection beasts.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Everyone posted:

I don't think that fits with the Emperor being apparently obsessed with pursuing some enemy that he seems to blame for why he did the "Big Necro Thing" to begin with. Plus, we also kind of know that he didn't kill one planet. He killed nine (maybe Pluto counts again) because of the nine Resurrection beasts.

That assumes the Emperor is actually honest and justified about his positions which I think is unlikely. It seems more likely that he's mad that people don't buy into his vision for how to save the world.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think they're just the baddies, and they don't know it because everything is skulls, all the time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Danhenge posted:

That assumes the Emperor is actually honest and justified about his positions which I think is unlikely. It seems more likely that he's mad that people don't buy into his vision for how to save the world.

Well, IIRC the Emperor is spending a huge amount of time and resources pursuing some kind of quest for vengeance despite several in his inner circle begging him to let it go. That's a lot of smoke for there not to be some kind of fire to it.

Beachcomber posted:

I think they're just the baddies, and they don't know it because everything is skulls, all the time.

Easily possible. Baddies can often hate other baddies. Frequently bad guys fighting other bad guys is one reason the good guys are able to win.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey y'all mentioned JV Jones so I looked up her works and found this neat review on a blog:

The First Dark Doorstop Epic: J. V. Jones’s The Baker’s Boy

quote:

What A Game of Thrones did do, however, was take the doorstop epic fantasy series – the longer (usually 500-600+ pages) novels that seemed to become the norm in fantasy after Robert Jordan made it fashionable in the early 1990s – and give it a darker, more realist makeover. But even in this, the tide was turning shortly before Martin’s first novel in the series appeared.

Which brings me to this week’s Secret Library choice: J. V. Jones’s The Baker’s Boy: Book 1 of the Book of Words, published 25 years ago, in 1995. Jones’s novel was the first in a trilogy which appeared in the mid-1990s, titled Book of Words and bearing, on its covers, an enthusiastic endorsement from Robert Jordan (who dominated the epic doorstop fantasy series in the 1990s before Martin dethroned him – as it were). Jones followed the series up with that rare thing, a standalone fantasy novel, The Barbed Coil, in 1997, before embarking on an ice-cold new epic fantasy series, Sword of Shadows, in 1999 with A Cavern of Black Ice. To date, four novels have appeared, though – like Martin with his epic series – the time elapsing between the publication of subsequent novels has grown from years to decades, although Jones has reported that she is making progress on the fifth instalment.

But The Baker’s Boy is this week’s choice, because for all the faults the novel has as a first novel – and it has plenty, like most first novels – it’s still true that Jones’s book appeared a year before A Game of Thrones hit the shelves, and Jones pre-empted some of the darker aspects which made Martin’s work so feted in fantasy circles.

In some (superficial) respects, there are clear resemblances between The Baker’s Boy and A Game of Thrones: there’s a spoilt and unpleasant prince (Kylock/Joffrey), a young high-born lady who doesn’t want to marry him (Melliandra/Sansa), a castle at the centre of the novel which is the seat of power, lords and their lackeys, whoring and intrigue aplenty. One is set in the Seven Kingdoms; the other contains the Four Kingdoms. Political machinations and scheming – a dirty scramble for power – play an important role in both novels. But The Baker’s Boy takes in a much smaller cast of characters, allowing for a tighter, if narrower, focus.

- The rest of the review is neat and good analysis, which is what I like in a review
- There are more reviews on the blog! I gotta dive in, I LOVE reading book review blogs.
- And now I gotta go find a copy of this, see if I wanna read it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Larry Parrish is obviously Graydon Saunders. It even anagrams!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey y'all mentioned JV Jones so I looked up her works and found this neat review on a blog:

- And now I gotta go find a copy of this, see if I wanna read it.

I read that trilogy back in the day and enjoyed it at the time if that counts for anything.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RQ63DZ/

Books 1-5 of the Cradle series by Will Wight are all free
Unsouled (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1CYBS6/
Soulsmith (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09PWJQ/
Blackflame (#3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716GZ8QX/
Skysworn (#4) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762YQ2H8/
Ghostwater (#5) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFWZP9C/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If you like the O'Brian books it is worth seeking out the old Hornblower TV show.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Books 1-5 of the Cradle series by Will Wight are all free
Unsouled (#1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1CYBS6/
Soulsmith (#2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M09PWJQ/
Blackflame (#3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716GZ8QX/
Skysworn (#4) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0762YQ2H8/
Ghostwater (#5) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFWZP9C/
...to celebrate the new one coming out on the 5th! Getting close to the end, too.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
If you like Cradle, or if you like cozier fantasy, I will now recommend the overwhelmingly K/U thread recommended book, Beware of Chicken.

A modern man wakes up in a fantasy world where he can become a god, and instead decides to find the quietest place he can to retire as a simple farmer. His un-wished-for powers make things complicated, and I picked the book up and couldn't put it down for 8 hours. Read it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

AARD VARKMAN posted:

If you like Cradle, or if you like cozier fantasy, I will now recommend the overwhelmingly K/U thread recommended book, Beware of Chicken.

A modern man wakes up in a fantasy world where he can become a god, and instead decides to find the quietest place he can to retire as a simple farmer. His un-wished-for powers make things complicated, and I picked the book up and couldn't put it down for 8 hours. Read it.

What is K/U?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

silvergoose posted:

What is K/U?

Kindle Unlimited, presumably.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TOOT BOOT posted:

Kindle Unlimited, presumably.

Oh, alright. I've never seen that abbreviation before.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

HopperUK posted:

If you like the O'Brian books it is worth seeking out the old Hornblower TV show.

In the UK at least the whole lot of the TV films is on iTunes for pretty cheap - I want to say something like £10 for the whole lot.

On a different note, and sorry for bringing up Graydon again, but is there any reason why the Commonweal books aren’t on Amazon UK? I’d actually like to spend money on them rather than having to find them in less author-compensating corners of the internet!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MisterBear posted:

In the UK at least the whole lot of the TV films is on iTunes for pretty cheap - I want to say something like £10 for the whole lot.

On a different note, and sorry for bringing up Graydon again, but is there any reason why the Commonweal books aren’t on Amazon UK? I’d actually like to spend money on them rather than having to find them in less author-compensating corners of the internet!

He won't use Amazon for ethical reasons. The Google Play Books store will sell you them in DRM-free ebook formats.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

He won't use Amazon for ethical reasons. The Google Play Books store will sell you them in DRM-free ebook formats.

Makes sense! Thank you.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

HopperUK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLh1usqLUofLQjji9-Ts_SX-qnUjvAVZq

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The old Sharpe's series with Sean Bean is also worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuQhvoHXcys

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Everyone posted:

The old Sharpe's series with Sean Bean is also worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuQhvoHXcys

you posted the wrong Sharpe video, here's the right one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE8d-uGmIWk

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PlushCow posted:

you posted the wrong Sharpe video, here's the right one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE8d-uGmIWk

Is there really such a thing as a wrong Sharpe video?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Everyone posted:

Is there really such a thing as a wrong Sharpe video?

:hmmyes:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days (Revelation Space) by Alistair Reynolds - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819V8434/

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RD8544/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this. I loved the hell out of the first TV movies when they first came out, but haven’t seen them in two decades, and never saw the later ones.

I’m halfway through the first one, and yeah, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm starting to like this Graydon Saunders character despite myself, gently caress