Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rand Brittain posted:

I mentioned this while it was on pre-order, but Jenna Moran's new novel, The Night-Bird's Feather, is now available on most platforms, including Kindle, Kobo, and itch.io.

This is a novel telling stories, based in Slavic folklore, of several generations of a family of dream magicians in a little town where the sun has never yet risen, with a focus on how the world arises from perception. On top of that, if the novel outsells Jenna's predictions in the first week, she's going to publicly release the playtest draft of the fourth edition of her amazing RPG Nobilis. I strongly suggest that everybody here give it a try.

I read the sample of this on Amazon and bought it immediately because I chuckled three times in as many paragraphs. Thanks for the tip. I never usually pay full price for ebooks.

e: I am poor, not someone who just hates authors or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's not poor and he hates authors.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

ToxicFrog posted:

I checked out Six of Crows based on earlier discussion in this thread and on account of being in the mood for a fantasy heist, and I am...not really digging it? So far it's been less heist-y and more just wildly stabby, and it keeps dragging me out of it by reminding me how young the characters are, which, based on the timelines given, means that Inej became a spy and thief of nearly supernatural skill with something like two years of practice, and Kaz arranged the mortgage of the pub and used the money to dredge and refit the Fifth Dock when he was like 12. It feels like it wants to be Lies of Locke Lamora but with weird magical bullshit taking a more central role, but isn't really pulling it off.

Yeah, if you're not digging it, the eventual heist probably isn't going to be worth the investment. I made the mistake of reading the sequel too, and I can barely remember the plot except for the parts that toe a really weird is-this-racist-or-just-horribly-misconceived? line.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ToxicFrog posted:

I checked out Six of Crows based on earlier discussion in this thread and on account of being in the mood for a fantasy heist, and I am...not really digging it? So far it's been less heist-y and more just wildly stabby, and it keeps dragging me out of it by reminding me how young the characters are, which, based on the timelines given, means that Inej became a spy and thief of nearly supernatural skill with something like two years of practice, and Kaz arranged the mortgage of the pub and used the money to dredge and refit the Fifth Dock when he was like 12. It feels like it wants to be Lies of Locke Lamora but with weird magical bullshit taking a more central role, but isn't really pulling it off.

This why I always skip anything remotely YA.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Armauk posted:

YA isn't automatically lovely. The first Red Rising series was pretty good as was Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners trilogy. But I can understand how that style and those tropes can wear on someone's nerves, especially "this specific child/teenager is somehow the bestest person ever at [insert thing important to the setting]."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

This sort of thing has been common practice for a while now. At least the Arthur C. Clarke Award is a real thing, rather than all the TIKTOK MADE ME BUY IT crap.

My big bugbear is the way the descriptions stuff two pages of review quotes in before you even get to the blurb. I want to know what it's about before anything else! As for the listings that put the entire first chapter in the description, they can go wither in a lightless sea.

I don't think I have ever once been convinced to buy a book based on review quotes, though I think there have been a few times where I have been warned off a book based on who they get pull quotes from. And yeah the first chapter in the item description is idiotic. I don't understand putting either of those before the blurb, it's usually the blurb that pushes me over the edge into buying a book if I'm on the fence. I can understand including that other poo poo for SEO reasons or whatever, but I don't understand why it's put first.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Everyone posted:

YA isn't automatically lovely. The first Red Rising series was pretty good as was Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners trilogy. But I can understand how that style and those tropes can wear on someone's nerves, especially "this specific child/teenager is somehow the bestest person ever at [insert thing important to the setting]."

Yeah I've learned that I'll probably never like the vast majority of YA, even if it's good, because I can't get behind most of the common character tropes that even the good YA stuff trends towards. Also the very common, often very twee inner monologue of POV teenager characters, because even the best feel like they come off as a 30-something's idea of how teenagers behave and what they care about. To me, most YA writing feels very... disingenuous, I guess? I can't think of a better way to put it right now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Neil Gaiman said that Sunshine is practically perfect but I find it to be a terrible pile of trash. way too many exposition dumps

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The worst part of reading a Wolfe novel is seeing Gaiman's quotes plastered all over it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The edition of Sword and Citadel I just read had introduction by Ada Palmer, which was significantly better than Gaiman.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Everyone posted:

"this specific child/teenager is somehow the bestest person ever at [insert thing important to the setting]."
That's the majority of YA.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4/

Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2C637I/

I am a facilitator of author hatred.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

pradmer posted:

I am a facilitator of author hatred.

A goon gave me this one in a secret Santa, and it is excellent. It's in a bit of a weird place between sci fi and Serious Literature though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think I have ever once been convinced to buy a book based on review quotes, though I think there have been a few times where I have been warned off a book based on who they get pull quotes from. And yeah the first chapter in the item description is idiotic. I don't understand putting either of those before the blurb, it's usually the blurb that pushes me over the edge into buying a book if I'm on the fence. I can understand including that other poo poo for SEO reasons or whatever, but I don't understand why it's put first.

I’ve definitely bought books off of pull quotes from authors I like. If it’s a problem I ignore pull quotes from that author in the future, but generally it’s been effective for finding new stuff when I’m just randomly browsing. Particularly in fantasy and sci fi.

Can’t imagine caring about review site / publication pull quotes though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pradmer posted:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

A goon gave me this one in a secret Santa, and it is excellent. It's in a bit of a weird place between sci fi and Serious Literature though.

Seconding this, it's a good book.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I hate most of all being in a bookshop and picking up a paperback, turning it over to read the summary, and there are just reviews back there and praise. What's it ABOUT you fucks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HopperUK posted:

I hate most of all being in a bookshop and picking up a paperback, turning it over to read the summary, and there are just reviews back there and praise. What's it ABOUT you fucks

Knowing anything about a book other than that it exists is spoilers

E you can have the title too I guess

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Everyone posted:

It is also very important that them being the best at that thing has not come up or has not really been a factor in their life until today on page 1.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

withak posted:

It is also very important that them being the best at that thing has not come up or has not really been a factor in their life until today on page 1.

I will note that that bit was averted in Sanderson's Reckoners series. David Charleston has spent something like the last 10 years (AKA from age 8 to the present) learning as much as he could about various Epics and ferreting out their weaknesses, because 10 years prior an Epic murdered his father. David is still fallible on this and other fronts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Katniss in the Hunger Games is well-presented on that front too. Archery was her means of sustenance and survival for years. It's interesting what copycat authors will absorb from a popular book and what they'll ignore.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Thirded. Read it in one sitting on a Europe>Australia flight, it's very engaging and readable.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
reckoners is easily the worst thing sanderson has ever written

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
The third Scholomance book by Naomi Novik is out - the Golden Enclaves - and I thought it was Pretty Good and a fairly satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Because it moves out into the proper world it has to throw a lot of detail out fast on stuff that had been more ambiguous in the early books and introduce a number of characters who come and go very quickly. I wonder whether it would have benefitted from being two books instead. But it wraps everything up quite neatly (I suspect some people will think too neatly) and it’s obvious in retrospect how much she was seeding in books 1 and 2 as many disparate things turn out to be more connected than perhaps they appeared early on. (Being super vague as I guessed two of the major revelations shortly before they were spelled out and I wouldn’t want to deprive others of the same satisfaction).

I’m happy enough and would enjoy it if she writes a 10 years later second trilogy or something. It was a fast fun read.

One non specific spoiler re the plot:
El being so powerful throughout - verging on omnipotent - even against groups of expert adult wizards I felt was a weak point, even though we are given a solid explanation for why. It felt like it turned much of the book into her just moving from place to place and waving her hand to fix the relevant issues. It completely lacked the tension from the first two in terms of her being a survivor. I think I wasn’t too bothered by it as clearly the author just didn’t want to spend the story on that stuff - it was all discovery and revelation. Which was OK in terms of answering questions reasonably satisfyingly and wrapping stuff up but did leave the book a bit weaker as a stand alone.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Blamestorm posted:

The third Scholomance book by Naomi Novik is out - the Golden Enclaves

You motherfucker.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Monkey posted:

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

ulmont posted:

You motherfucker.

Oh weird - Amazon delivered it here in Oz last week.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

ulmont posted:

You motherfucker.

Blamestorm posted:

Oh weird - Amazon delivered it here in Oz last week.

Looks like some weird trad pub decisions to me! Paperback was released in Australia on on 20 September 2022, but the hardcover is bizarrely coming out 27 October 2022 which makes no sense, whereas it looks like in the US the ebook, hardcover, and audiobook are getting simultaneous release on 27 September 2022, with no paperback.

:shrug: I'm sad either way because there's 7 other people ahead of me on the reserve list at my library.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Leng posted:

:shrug: I'm sad either way because there's 7 other people ahead of me on the reserve list at my library.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Horizon Burning posted:

reckoners is easily the worst thing sanderson has ever written

Maybe, but it still isn't unreadable.

Here's a YA series that should provoke a slap fight: The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. It's really really good, but it's also still very much YA.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I think the only YA thing I've read in the last decade that didn't fall into Trope Hell pretty much immediately was the Bloody Jack series, but then again I am violently biased toward anything that involves florid descriptions of sails and/or cannon operation. The series isn't perfectly free of them, but iirc the MC is just pretty clever and plucky without ever being The Chosen One Reborn or innately great at picking up skills. I guess it may help that the existence of midshipmen gives a historical precedence for putting 12 year olds in harm's way at sea so they've got something to stand on.

Started into Nona the Ninth and it's very good and exciting so far, though I think I may need to put on the brakes and either reread Harrow or find a Cliff's notes or something. Between my exceptionally smooth brain and the previous books' convoluted narrative I feel absolutely lost as gently caress.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Armauk posted:

Usually I do the same but I've found Frances Hardinge to be very good, especially the Mosca books.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pradmer posted:

can fourth this one, it's excellent

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PupsOfWar posted:

I was thinking they were Around in book 1, but remained just sort of mysterious apocalyptic wasteland monsters and weren't revealed as a caliphate bio-weapon until book 2

I could be misremembering though

They weren't a Caliphate bioweapon. The Voynix were robots from an alternate dimension that the global caliphate pulled over and reprogrammed to hunt jews.

I know way too much about Illium/Olympos, like how the Islamophobia manages to directly intrude into the main plot and derail one plotline entirely with "And then this main character got radiation poisoning from a caliphate boomer filled with black holes and dies".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't read a single YA series I haven't thought sucked tbh

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Patricia Wrede’s Enchanted Forest series is one of the best fantasy series ever written and it’s YA. Megan Whalen Turner’s Queen Thief to a lesser extent as well.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Usually I do the same but I've found Frances Hardinge to be very good, especially the Mosca books.

Yeah, Hardinge and Ursula Vernon/T Kingfisher are the best ways to scratch a Diana Wynne Jones/Joan Aiken juveniles-shaped itch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ShutteredIn posted:

Patricia Wrede’s Enchanted Forest series is one of the best fantasy series ever written and it’s YA. Megan Whalen Turner’s Queen Thief to a lesser extent as well.

I'm considering taking a crack at Leigh Bardugo's "Grishaverse" stuff because her The Ninth House was really good.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Larry Parrish posted:

I haven't read a single YA series I haven't thought sucked tbh

Earthsea.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ShutteredIn posted:

I love dealing with dragons!

Diana Wynne Jones has some really good ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Enchanted Forest is middle grade not YA, right?