Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The only thing I use Goodreads for is new releases and even then it fails at that because if you've given everything you've ever read by an author one star, Goodreads will never stop telling you about their new books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

ClydeFrog posted:

So how would a good review site work? Thumbs up and down and then people have to actually read your review and decide? I'm curious because I've reviewed some stuff on other sites as a 4 outta 5 kinda thing because whilst I really liked it, I thought it could be better or maybe had a few issues etc. It certainly wasn't because I thought I had to wield my powers of critique wisely, lest too many five star reviews weaken the fabric of the crowdsourced opinion universe.

From a reader's perspective there's nothing wrong with how it is now, at least re: star ratings. Four star reviews may drag a book's average down a little from the ultimate goal of being as close to 5 stars as possible, but that's the author's problem, not yours.

I have fiction on Goodreads and I'm always happy with three star ratings or higher. (Maybe less so when the review is like "this was really great!!!" and they've only given it three stars, but that's more from a generalised dislike of inconsistency than anything else.") That author who went on a rant on Twitter is a psycho.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ClydeFrog posted:

So how would a good review site work? Thumbs up and down and then people have to actually read your review and decide? I'm curious because I've reviewed some stuff on other sites as a 4 outta 5 kinda thing because whilst I really liked it, I thought it could be better or maybe had a few issues etc. It certainly wasn't because I thought I had to wield my powers of critique wisely, lest too many five star reviews weaken the fabric of the crowdsourced opinion universe.

Effectively you can't have a good review site because either it's open to everyone and you end up with Goodreads and all the toxic poo poo that brings, or it's a closed site and likely not as representative as it could/should be.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If you're looking for perfection there it's impossible. One of the issues is inconsistency between standards for different genres -- the more literature-like the genre, the higher the standards, and it goes the other way for stuff that's, well, shallower/trashier/whatever.

Like, I read some LitRPG's, and it seems like on Amazon it's nearly impossible for them to go below four stars, and you see tons of ones with 4.5+ stars with barely passable writing. And I'm given to understand that harem LitRPG's have even lower standards.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I've been blowing through some big-name fantasy like LOTR, Ice and Fire, Stormlight, etc. lately and I wore myself out with all of the overbearing worldbuilding so I got a Warhammer audiobook, Trollslayer. It's written like pulp which is just fine with me, but it's also nice to have Felix pick up a lantern without going into a three page diatribe about what country made the lantern and why the bests lanterns all come from that country.

I am also entirely sick of dream sequences that exist either to:

a) foreshadow a future plot twist

b) gaslight me away from guessing a future plot twist.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

bagrada posted:

I was going to say Naomi Kritzer but I guess she started in 2000.

Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series started in '96 and was a trilogy until she added 4 more books to it almost a decade later.

Those are the only ones I remember reading at the time.

There was also a 90s book starring a lesbian warrior and it was like Voyage of the Dawn Treader with a ship journey to various islands while they quested for something. But I don't remember the title or author or that it was any good. I think it had two male authors. When I try to picture it Michael Stackpole's unrelated Once a Hero and Dark Glory War series are what come to mind, but I think I just bought those around the same time.

I never read the Nightrunner series but I really didn't like the Bone Doll's Twin. It's hard to describe, but I really didn't like the relationship between the protagonist and their best friend.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
If you haven't made an author obliquely seethe on Twitter because of your one-star review on Goodreads then, well, can you really consider yourself really having lived?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 22, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pennsylvanian posted:

I've been blowing through some big-name fantasy like LOTR, Ice and Fire, Stormlight, etc. lately and I wore myself out with all of the overbearing worldbuilding so I got a Warhammer audiobook, Trollslayer. It's written like pulp which is just fine with me, but it's also nice to have Felix pick up a lantern without going into a three page diatribe about what country made the lantern and why the bests lanterns all come from that country.

I am also entirely sick of dream sequences that exist either to:

a) foreshadow a future plot twist

b) gaslight me away from guessing a future plot twist.

Raistilin looked down, he was walking in the footsteps of Fistandantilus, towards the gallows! What could this mean?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

algebra testes posted:

Raistilin looked down, he was walking in the footsteps of Fistandantilus, towards the gallows! What could this mean?
Fistandantilus was lying about having carried him on the beach.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

Anyone read an advance copy? Have enjoyed all of them so far but they walk a fine line.

Very much in the same vein, although in a small space motel, with characters waiting out a storm.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pennsylvanian posted:

I am also entirely sick of dream sequences that exist

^ this is me. I honestly just basically skip all of them at this point. It’s usually some heavy handed metaphor which was already conveyed by the plot imo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was a fan of the wheel of time ones, though they're not all actually dreams

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I liked the dream sequence-esque bits in Harrow the Ninth.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was a fan of the wheel of time ones, though they're not all actually dreams

Yeah they're best when it's actually some person messing with the protagonists head

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I liked the dream sequence-esque bits in Harrow the Ninth.

That could describe a very wide range of the book.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's a book with three moods: Harrow's got vomit on her sweater already, mom's spaghetti; dreamlike (can't wake up); and brutal gorefest. Dad jokes permeate throughout.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's a book with three moods: Harrow's got vomit on her sweater already, mom's spaghetti; dreamlike (can't wake up); and brutal gorefest. Dad jokes permeate throughout.

*reads this, and then crumples up first draft of book, and starts over*

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I picked up "This is how you lose the time war" on the suggestion of this thread and finished reading it in one sitting, hours later. This book is incredible

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So I picked up "This is how you lose the time war" on the suggestion of this thread and finished reading it in one sitting, hours later. This book is incredible

I absolutely adored that book. I love epistolaries, as a rule.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I did exactly the same thing, started reading it around 8pm and finished at like 1am. Haven't done that in a long time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I managed to drag it out to two days.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

tildes posted:

^ this is me. I honestly just basically skip all of them at this point. It’s usually some heavy handed metaphor which was already conveyed by the plot imo.

They're also usually paced differently in whatever books they're written into, too. The non-dream sequences in a given novel will have limited descriptions of actions while the dream sequences will describe every step and breath in excrutiating detail. An extended duel scene will be half the length of "Jaime dreamed his dad was real mean." I've sort of discovered that if you read the first line of every paragraph in these kinds of dream sequences, then you'll more than not understand what's going on.

Gotrex and Felix have been a nice pallate cleanser. It's cool to just have characters doing things which seems to be a lofty concept for a lot of fantasy.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've got Time War queued up as my next audiobook, I usually only listen on two ~10 minute commutes a day so I'll see how that goes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bagrada posted:

I've got Time War queued up as my next audiobook, I usually only listen on two ~10 minute commutes a day so I'll see how that goes.

Giving yourself time to finish the chapter you’re on before you stop listening on each commute would be a really great way to listen to that book.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I read every single gotrek and felix omnibus and one of the new books in the Age of Sigmar setting over quarantine and they own. Gotrek gets more and more pissed off that nothing can kill him and then winds up in an entire new setting where he channels everyone annoyed that the company tanked The Old World setting and grumps about how everything sucks and the gods are lying assholes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Benagain posted:

I read every single gotrek and felix omnibus and one of the new books in the Age of Sigmar setting over quarantine and they own. Gotrek gets more and more pissed off that nothing can kill him and then winds up in an entire new setting where he channels everyone annoyed that the company tanked The Old World setting and grumps about how everything sucks and the gods are lying assholes.

Have you seen the two Realmslayer audio dramas starring Brian Blessed as Gotrek? They are... something, as he hams it up and the other voice actors try to keep up with him.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

bagrada posted:

Have you seen the two Realmslayer audio dramas starring Brian Blessed as Gotrek? They are... something, as he hams it up and the other voice actors try to keep up with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAu7CQK6Wg

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

New Becky Chambers is very good so far.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Broken Homes (Rivers of London #4) by Ben Aaronovitch - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYX9OPC/

The King Must Die by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Anansi Boys (American Gods #2) by Neil Gaiman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKENQ/

Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GK21XK/

The Redemption of Time (Three Body Problem #4) by Baoshu and Ken Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JYZ4G6N/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh wasn't aware there was a fourth Three Body Problem novel.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ccs posted:

A different author too.. weird

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ccs posted:

So one dimension now?

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

pradmer posted:

The King Must Die by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

Yesss, thank you! Been wanting to crack into Renault for a while now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tiniestacorn posted:

Yesss, thank you! Been wanting to crack into Renault for a while now.

We did Last of the Wine several years ago now for BOTM, it might be time to revisit her.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiac posted:

So one dimension now?

Just like half the characters from the first 3 books!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

A different author too.. weird

If I recall correctly it's fan-fiction that was picked up officially.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished reading SFL Archives Vol 20a. It was a quick read, mostly because I am totally burned out on Babylon 5 chat and just started skipping over everything Babylon 5 related.

Highlights/lowlights of the Vol 20a readthrough:
"I am not a journalist! I do not give blow-jobs to chickens!": Harlan Ellison on journalists
Gregory Benford outed himself as a "the South will rise AGAIN" proto-chud type author.
Charles Platt came out as 110% racist and hateful that Octavia Butler won a 1995 MacArthur Fellows Program grant....Platt claims Octavia Butler only won because she's black and female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesserae
Sep 25, 2004

pradmer posted:

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

Has anyone here picked this one up? I liked the Ancillary series, but reviews look mixed.