Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Has anybody else read Andy Weir's new book, "Project Hail Mary" yet? I'm interested to see what other people thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

I'm like 2 chapters in but I'll let you know :haibrower:

so far seems fun even if it's basically just The Martian again

It is and it isn't, and the points of divergence are what give me mixed feelings about it.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
After years of not being able to get past the first chapter of the Anethem novel, it randomly popped up on my Audible feed last week and I just finished it up. Totally engrossing once I finally understood the basics of the setting. It's got me all fired up to download more Neal Stephenson audiobooks, because I generally really like his stuff, but holy poo poo can those books be tough to get into. The audio format also makes it way easier to keep tracking the narrative through multi-page segues into philosophy and quantum mechanics.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Finishing up the audio version of Blindspot by Peter Watts. For anybody else who got lost during the thick "nature of consciousness" monologues in the paperback, the audio format is a whole lot easier to keep pace with.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Been binging the Red Rising trilogy on Audible over the last week and can’t stop listening. Some of the most entertaining space opera that I’ve read in a long time - solid drama that yanks on the feels and some first-rate action scenes. Would make an amazing steaming miniseries.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Shnakepup posted:

Aurora stuff

I loved Aurora. It had a nihilistic yet grounded take on space exploration and colonization that I found really interesting and refreshing. Most scifi tends to just handwave away how utterly alien a new planet would be, regardless of however closely the atmosphere and Goldilocks positions might match Earth. I really liked the ending too; even though Freya ended up back on a (assumed) polluted and over-crowded Earth, it was a Paradise from her perspective when compared to the dying ship.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

Scalzi was never good.

I enjoyed Old Man's War, but Red Shirts was just non-stop quips. Reminded me of the worst kind of Joss Wheden script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Mikojan posted:

I'm on a space opera binge lately and I'm curious if there are any obvious suggestions.

Things I've read: Revelation space series, Expanse series, The Foundation, Red rising series and currently reading Dune.

Would highly appreciate recommendations that deal with large scale space things! Preferably storylines that span multiple books.

Based on what you've read I think you'd get a kick out of the Sun Eater series by Christopher Ruocchio. It's basically a Red Rising / Dune mash-up. I don't think it's in the same league as either of those series, but it's still super entertaining and has it's own narrative voice.