Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

140 pages into Bone Ships: so far this is very good gritty sea drama. If the author hasn't read Aubrey-Maturin I'll call him a liar, but it's definitely its own beast. I'm digging how we have the protagonist bossing the viewpoint character around, and the bleak island politics.

his assassins books were pretty good but so bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

I bounced off The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet about halfway through, it was cozy but it never felt like there was actually anything at stake (I really wanted to like it more). I'm currently going through The Quantum Magician and it's pretty fun if not a little predictable so far.

The next quantum one is out soon.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Finished Empress of Forever and was uhh, a bit disappointed. It felt like it was trying, but worse at the contemporary voice than Gideon/Murderbot, while simultaneously having a less compelling story and cast.

It's weird, because I liked the Craft sequence. I think the narrative voice of Empress felt forced or something. :shrug:

i read it a month ago and had to wiki it before i could remember anything. years later i can still recall the first bits of the craft sequence. YMMV.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Owlkill posted:

Children of Time is fantastic - can anyone recommend any of Tchaikovsky's other stuff? He seems to be a pretty prolific writer.

I liked the novella ironclads about a libertarian/corporatist future war in Europe with mecha told from a grunts eye view.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Anias posted:

Their estates are in trust at Reed College in the Language Arts section, with a direction to fund student tuition for scholars seeking to study secondary languages. So you can read about blue rocks in relative peace.

The relative peace of enjoying books about magical small girls who love to tease and kiss old men and sit on their laps as a form of control.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Sea of Rust was pretty good. Not gonna go down as one of my favourites, but it's a nice pulpy adventure story and the setting is cool.

I started it a few months ago, loved the idea but I bounced of it for some reason got about 15-20% in?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Selachian posted:

Evelyn Wood could supposedly read 2700 wpm.

Speaking of fast reading, I'm surprised no one has tried to revive the Reader's Digest Condensed Books line. I guess audiobooks fill the same niche now.

There's a stupid ad on tv for blinkist that does this for audiobooks.

It's inherently aimed at the self-help market.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

That’s a really cool setting. I wonder how to elevator pitch it effectively. “The world is overrun by monstrous bioweapons and the only way to fight them is to pilot AI-designed squid mechs so monstrous and alien that they devour their own pilots. Protagonist blah blah has only once chance for forgiveness for XYZ, and it’s to become a pilot.”

but wait, then we'll just make 75% of it a generic SFF school setting like Starship Troopers, Harry Potter and Name of the Wind.

(FWIW i liked it when it came out and preordered both the sequels)

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

I assume the story of the bread is told in twelve individually priced chapters that will later be combined and sold as a single book, then re written four times from the perspective of other things in his kitchen.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Quantum Thief is amazing.

The first one is a really good space opera heist book with some hard SciFi.

The second is also good, dealing with paradox and time loops but just didn't excite me as much.

Still pre-ordering the next one.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Dark477 posted:

Are you talking about the quantum thief or the quantum magician?

Good pick-up, I did mean the magician. Sorry for the confusion.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Collateral posted:

Embers was decent, but nothing spectacular. Big Smart Object? Is the next one, Fleet of Knives, any better?

Same but not quite as good imo.

Also really disliked the one about the monkey fighter pilot but YMMV.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Marketing guff.

They are not bad, sometimes good, space opera.

I just read the fifth one, it's a bit emo but still worth the time.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

OK. About a year ago I decided I wanted to read more female SF authors. Since then I've read some novels by Le Guin (The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed) and Murderbots, of course... and that's about it. Help me get back on this train. I prefer harder SF but will settle for anything good. I've been meaning to check out Cherryh since she's brought up regularly but have no idea where to start.

Elizabeth bear. Jacobs ladder series.
Tanya huff.

Tbh there's loads of great female written SciFi and some trash - same as any other grouping of authors.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

God I need to read Trouble and Her Friends, I own it, I could start it now, but.... backlog....

Anyways thank you for Six Wakes, I somehow missed that one entirely.

Trouble and her friends is good but it's very dated like most genuine cyberpunk.

Definitely a modern take on gender and sexuality too if that's your thing.

It's similar to pat cadigan - not as actiony as early William Gibson. It's actually pretty dense and slow.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Last night after my partner, baby and houseguests went to bed I read Sisters of the vast black by Linda Rather.

Future Catholic nuns travel around a post civil war frontier in an organic space ship.

If you don't know half of Australia is on fire and this book was a really fun way to take a mental break.

Happy NY book nerds.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250260256/

Sisters of the Vast Black paperback edition on sale for 7.59$ instead of like 12-13$

it's pretty fun, as i posted last week, but it is still a short novella FWIW

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was just linked to a short story anthology themed about robots and it drops in March and the author list is real interesting:

Featuring stories by John Chu, Daryl Gregory, Alice Sola Kim, Rich Larson, Ken Liu, Carmen Maria Machado, Ian R. Macleod, Annalee Newitz, Suzanne Palmer, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Alastair Reynolds, Kelly Robson, Sofia Samatar, Rivers Solomon and Peter Watts.

Jonathan Strachan gives good antho.

I preordered that one when Amazon recommended it too.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Is Greatcoats any good? I had someone passionately trying to convince me that once I read it I'd realise my previous love for Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell was all wrong and I'd see that I should be loving Greatcoats instead. He also tried to explain that Strange & Norrell is bad because it doesn't have a well defined magic system.

Sebastien de Castell also wrote a fun YA series about an outlaw kid and his talking ferret thing. It was indie published, after greatcoats.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Tor.com released a short story collection for free in eBook format on all major platforms
https://www.tor.com/2020/01/29/some-of-the-best-from-tor-com-2019-is-out-now/

In the comments of the article, there are also links to Google Play and Kobo store.

All stories have previously been published on the Tor.com web site.

And unlike most of the offers in this thread it's available for Australian's too!

Thanks for the heads up

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Solitair posted:

Are Jonathan Strahan's Best Science Fiction of the Year collections worth getting?

I've always found him to be a reliable anthologist.

I've usually bought his themed ones though, rather than the yearly ones.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just found out the second book in the Cry Pilot series got released. It's called Burn Cycle.

I remember the first book was pretty well received by the thread, hadn't seen mention of this one yet.

I'm about 10% in it's a direct continuation. Nothing's happened yet after the big ending of the first.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

What's your favorite "scientist sci-fi"? By this I'm talking about sci-fi that takes a scientific, exploratory approach to the plot, in either characters, writing style or both. It would probably involve discovery (see earlier Big Dumb Object discussion), but not necessarily always.

In my opinion, what makes a good story in this style is that it conveys the joy and excitement, or even better, terror of scientific discovery without turning into a fictional textbook or writing so dry it'd self-combust. It gives answers willingly, while leaving unexplained mysteries with compelling reasons for why they can't be explained. Blindsight, one of my favorite books and also mentioned in the BDO discussion, is the candidate I can come up with right now.
Fred Hoyle wrote some, way, way back in the day.

Tbh the story of how he lost a Nobel prize by feuding with everyone is pretty good.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/oct/03/fred-hoyle-nobel-prize

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
i liked those Kresnov ones although i prefer his spiral wars books.

Her gimmick and limitations do become a little like WoT's braid tugging after awhile although YMMV

I think you'll have fun

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

freebooter posted:

Ditto. I only read City of Stairs and it wasn't quite my jam but struck me as the work of a young man who definitely had greater work coming down the line, and his Foundryside trilogy is on my TBR pile for that reason.

Foundryside is a bit YA and I didn't like as much - may have been the expectations after really enjoying the city of series. I liked the mythology of foundryside sort of steampunk heist but didn't vibe the writing.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

Nebula award finalists announced:

Marque of Caine, Charles E. Gannon (Baen)

The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Alix E. Harrow (Redhook; Orbit UK)

A Memory Called Empire, Arkady Martine (Tor)

Gods of Jade and Shadow, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey; Jo Fletcher)

Gideon the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com Publishing)

A Song for a New Day, Sarah Pinsker (Berkley)

I’ve only read Gideon, any others that are unmissable?

The Gannon stuff is appalling I read the first one it was poor. Can't believe its on any awards list.

Gideon & memory called empire were both very good.

branedotorg fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 21, 2020

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Thank you.

Dear this thread: Sarah Gailey's American Hippo is a collection of novellas and short fiction set in an alternate universe where the proposal to fill Louisiana with feral hippos and hunt them for meat was not narrowly defeated. I haven't read it yet but there are some decent reviews.

I just felt I should spread the word.

They aren't very good though. Great concept, poor execution.

Just finished RJ Parker's boneships. That guy writes grim fantasy worlds so well, this one's a dying planet / Patrick O'Brien fantasy pastiche and it ticked a lot of boxes for me.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

gvibes posted:

For those who are curious, it's Barker, not Parker. I only checked because I thought it would be pretty unfortunate for there to be both a RJ Parker and a KJ Parker.

Thanks, the AutoComplete on my surface makes the strangest changes.

RJ Barker is an old goth and writes good but depressing fantasy. Is funny on twitter too.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Here's the question: who writes the best Tolkien-esque fantasy? Please do not say Robert Jordan, he doesn't. Zelazny and Gene Wolfe also do not count. Is there anyone, or do I need to go back pre-Tolkien and read Eddison again?

Earthsea is legitimately good but doesn't for me have the same beats as Tolkien. Read it. I read it at about the same time as the dying earth books by Jack Vance so my brain files them together more than lotr.

The 70s/80s threw up a lot of lotr clones with one of the most obvious being Terry Brooks' Shannara books. They aren't as good obv.

Semi comedy option: Dragonlance Chronicles by Weiss and Hickman TSR spin-offs. Lord Soth is a nazgul with a back story.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Foundryside was really good and on the same level as the City series.

We talked about back thread a bit. Seemed split that its as you say or pretty run-of-the-mill YA (my take).

Still, it's worth that sale price.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jedit posted:

When I read TCOM and TLF for the first time, there weren't any other Discworld books to read. The best reason to start people with those two is because while they're fun, the series does nothing but get better until it peaks some time around Maskerade.

I read them in publication order starting in the early 90s.

I remember skipping school to buy the Discworld adventure game on floppy disk.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

You might like The Laundry Files by Charles Stross.

Here's a hilarious explanation of how Magic in the Laundry Files works, by the author:

My first thought too.

Be aware the first few books are homages to great British spy novelists before him in Fleming, Deighton, Price - oddly no Le Carre who was the best of them imo.

Dying Earth by Jack Vance

NK Jemsin trilogy that escapes me but won everything

Shadows of the Apt series is a very long fantasy series about bug people in a magical world where the ability to use technology is restricted by race. Adrian Tchaikovsky.

And maybe one of my favourite novels ever Lord of Light by Zelanzy

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I liked the Jay posey outrider books - although I don't think he'll ever finish them.

Kameron Hurley is reliable, her latest light brigade is a good read.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

it's YA about a dystopian caste system dedicated to terraforming Mars. sort of hunger games-ish. I stopped after the first one.

They got better after the first one, the focus shifts to civil war among the planets led by the kids from the first one.

Lots of hyper stylised set pieces and fighting. Somewhere between 40k, game of thrones and Wagner. Wants to Shakespeare's Ceasar in space but is more Titus Andronicus in space.

I'm not saying it's great but I enjoyed them although haven't bothered with the latest (6th?)

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

pradmer posted:

Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, Crimson Campaign, Autumn Republic) by Brian McClellan - $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZNTK6V/

The Rising (Alchemy Wars #2) by Ian Tregillis - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W22IMAO/

Eon by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU5RC/

The Hammer and the Cross by Harry Harrison - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KP3WD4/

I loved hammer and the cross as a kid and it still holds up in a HH way...

Alt-history where an English slave is shown by asgard gods new technology to fight with and against the ragnarssons and Alfred the great.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Willeh posted:

I have a bad case of completionism when it comes to books, and I just finished the latest Scalzi. Let this be a warning to all; don't loving do it.

The writing is so goddamn uneven, there are fun characters like Kiva Lagos, and really badly written cartoon villains, and everybody quips a mile a minute, even when not remotely appropriate.

And the ending is just...No.

thanks!

first was ok if a little pedestrian, the second was a slog to care enough to finish for me.

the trend continues

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

General Battuta posted:

I just checked out an ARC for an upcoming Tor debut called THE BLACKTONGUE THIEF. It wasn't really my speed, but if you like Abercrombie-style low fantasy with a bit more fun and a lot less bleak it might be your thing! No idea if it's going to get a big PR push but it's from the same editor who acquired THE BAND by Nicholas Eames, which I think did pretty well for Orbit.

I saw a thing for that recently, it's not my fav genre but was mildly interested till I read ... 'and a one-eyed rescue cat'.

Gave me David Webber vibes. Glad to hear there's more to it

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Definitely read Becky Chambers' trilogy it's a super fun cozy read.

Not really Star Trek, but if you're interested in something with a bit more of an action twist to it, a previous poster in this thread recommended Tanya Huff's Confederation series. I enjoyed the first five books. Someone had described it as a fairly straightforward NCO gets the job done despite bumbling officers in space with a female protagonist. I read it a few years ago and I just remember it being a fun light read. The Warcriminal thread sumarises it thus:

I think the ones post the 'big reveal' aren't anywhere near as interesting but they still have a certain pleasure to read.

The new KB Wagers book about the space coastguard is very cosy sci-fi imo, there's a bad plot, a bonding plot and an overarching story, none of which get in the way of some characters all bonding.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Whoa whoa whoa looked up this trilogy on goodreads and it sounds like exactly my jam, has anyone else read it?

e: Friend just let me know that his latest, Tyger Burning, was incredibly racist so nevermind :sigh:

It's really grim. heart of darkness/apocalypse now in a brutal near future war. I reread it a few months ago and it was a bit of a slog.

It's good but a difficult read sometimes. The sequels dial up the action but weren't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

fez_machine posted:

334 by Thomas M. Disch might be exactly what you are looking for

for someone who wants a book about science fiction, i'd really recommend his book 'the dreams our stuff is made of' it won a Hugo in the late 90s iirc.