Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Maybe don’t encourage people doing the equivalent of: “Well, if MLK were alive he’d...”

Edit: Shameless page snipe. I’m working on Daughter of the Empire right now and I’m enjoying it. How’s the rest of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’m going to be doing another reread of LotR, and possibly the Pellinor series (at least the first one). Any recommendations for other more ‘lyrical’ or traditionally epic fantasy series?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recently asked about this! Look here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3900237&pagenumber=64&perpage=40#post503066019

Also scroll down a bit and use all of those suggestions. The folks in here have good recs. (ps read Michelle West)

Excellent! Ty.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I cannot stop listening to the audiobook version of A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik, and this is the third time through. I’ve really enjoyed Uprooted and Spinning Silver, but for some reason this is sticking with me. I might have to go to the recommendation thread for suggestions.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In a turn to underage characters not written creepily, I just finished Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko and I’m extremely mad that this is the third series I’ve picked up recently that is extremely good but doesn’t have its follow up out yet.

It’s real good y’all.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’m glad to see Raybearer is up for a Lodestone. It deserves to be recognized for something, even if it isn’t a Hugo. Also psyched to see October Daye up for the series award.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Y’all use your brains too much for Harrow. Sometimes you just need to sit back and experience a book (which is also my approach to LotR, funnily enough).

On an actual book review note, a finished An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson, and immediately followed it up with Sorcery of Thorns (they’re not a series, I just really liked Ravens). I think I might read too much YA and romance in the genre, but if you like depictions of the Fair Folk or weird monstrous libraries causing havoc then, respectively, those might be the books for you. They’re competently written, well-paced and a fun read.

Now I need to find a series that has finished so I’m not going crazy waiting for a bunch of the next books to come out. Edit: Forgot I have A Wizard of Earthsea and haven’t read it yet, guess I know my next series.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 30, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

tokenbrownguy posted:

Bone Ships rocks.

Harrow does not.

You’re allowed to have incorrect opinions on Harrow, although I will admit that dark, depressing, and haunted is kinda my thing. I really liked what I read of House of Leaves, which is nothing less like Harrow but gives me the same dreaming feeling.

Also the audiobook narrator did a loving amazing job, so that probably helped.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 30, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’m about 1/3rd of the way through The Curse of Chalion and, while I am truly enjoying the world and the intrigue, the 35 year old protagonist pining after a 19 year old girl is getting tiresome and a little weird. Does it get better?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

packetmantis posted:

I genuinely don't understand the appeal of audiobooks. I guess that's why I don't like podcasts either.

I process better through listening and as an added bonus I can essentially read while I’m working

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Thank you so much for posting this!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So I finished the Curse of Chalion since someone said that the weird poo poo didn’t get too bad, and I agree that it ended about the best way a romance between that age gap could have (It’s still not great, but I can live with it). I really enjoyed reading about a main character whose scars and physical suffering had actual long-term lasting effects instead of just being A Thing. It felt like there was a lot of repetition in it, though.

Started on Between Two Fires this morning, I’m almost halfway through, and it feels like it goes with the book above, weirdly enough. Between Two Fires is brutal as gently caress, though. I was not expecting it to go as hard at is, although I’m not actually surprised.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Aardvark! posted:

oh yeah i love that book and can definitely tell you the name of it

It looks like Memories of the Forgotten Jack which is not at all weird.

E: It is in fact that and is free to read on Kindle Unlimited. It also looks like it was self published since it was just released in April. The plot synopses is certainly…something.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 12, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Finished Paladin of Souls, the sequel to Curse of Chalion, and I especially enjoyed it. We were talking about saint themes with Chalion and Between Two Fires and I would loosely categorize this under similar themes, although the suffering in this case is less physical. I appreciate having an older woman protagonist, it’s a nice change up, and I think the Bastard is the best out of the five.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So I finally wrapped up the Five Gods trilogy and finished The Hallowed Hunt (God bless library e-book borrowing systems) and, big surprise, I enjoyed it. It really drove home how white this series is, though. Given that the Weald is a giant mashup of tribes, and Chalion nobility is claimed to be a great sampling of people from other lands, you’d think there would be at least one skin tone description that wasn’t pale or tanned.

Really loved the political intrigues, it’s one of my favorite plot types and one of the reasons I liked Curse so much. I also really like the take on different types of worship to gods that are definitely there and the damage that colonization and cultural erasure do to people of a repressed religious minority. Well, at least I like that the themes were touched on, it’s not exactly handled as an in-depth theme. The Bastard also proved once again he’s still the best. Paladin is still probably mg favorite of the three and I wish that Bujold was still writing more novels in this world, since they’ve shown that they’re willing to just Star Wars it with this book.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

Now do the Penric novellas ! Most of them are heavy on the intrigue, we get an outsider's view into temple structure, and the Bastard is very much the Bastard.

I continue with my good luck! My library has the set on Hoopla, although they’re numbered wrong in the series. I’m starting today.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zurtilik posted:

I'm sure if I roll through the thread I'd find this answer somewhere, but oh well, lazy posting keeps the thread alive?!

Are there any goon recommended Sci-Fi/Fantasy books that were written in the last year or two? I realize I've kept my reading in those genres almost exclusively to like pre-80s and I want to shake that up! Double points if they aren't over 400 pages.

Also, are any of those Star Trek/Star Wars novels actually worth my time?

If you’re open to YA-ish, may I recommend Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko? It was published in 2020, is pretty different from a lot of fantasy published pre-90’s and it’s sequel is coming out this summer.

I’m bad at synopsis but the setup is that a girl is unknowingly raised to be a weapon against what is essentially the Emperor’s son and then is sent to his court. There’s a whole lot of world building that I’m leaving out and that’s just the basic setup of the story, it changes pretty rapidly from there.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 22, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

That could be publication order versus chronological . I'd go chronological,

I think that's right.

I didn’t realize that was the order, but it makes sense in hindsight. I’m at my max e-book borrows for the month so I’ve only been able to finish Penric’s Demon, but the shorter format definitely helps it. Also, more laypeople should become sorcerers if it means they’ll treat the entity inside them with care as an individual. It does make me wonder about the initial interactions between Foix and his bear demon.

Also, I’ve been going through these as audiobooks and the actual spelling of the names vs. the pronunciation is trippy. To be fair, this is a problem I’ve had with a lot of books, including Gideon.

Honestly, publication order has made better sense for me so far. Like the poster upthread said, it’s great to watch an author find a theme in the world and develop it in more detail as they go along, even if it’s not a perfect timeline match. It’s also been an easier exposure and understanding of the world and some of its dynamics.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 24, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I find it easier than reading print these days, just because on a device I can control the font size.

This plus having dark mode makes things so much easier for me

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey sooooo anyone listen to any good audiobooks lately? I just finished up Project Hail Mary, the latest Martha Wells and Becky Chambers, and The Blacktongue Thief. Can't figure out where to go next.

Both Gideon the Ninth and Harrow the Ninth are amazingly narrated.

The Nightvale books (It Devours and Welcome to Nightvale) are both pretty good, although I may have enjoyed the narration more because the narrator is the same as the one from the podcast.

Depending on how you feel about Neil Gaiman, he performs his own books The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Neverwhere which are excellent. The audiobook version of American Gods is well-done too, but not narrated by him.

One of my favorites is Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching series. That narrator goes full bore with the accents for the Nac Mac Feegles and it is wonderful.

There is also a full thread on audiobooks, on mobile so I can’t really link right now.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Hey y’all, The Martian is up on the Audible Plus catalog for free if you’ve got a membership.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Khizan posted:

I'm in my 30's and I still want my own daemon.

:same:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

Chalion down now onto Paladin of Souls.

Lois McMaster Bujold is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Going to be devouring all her writings the rest of the year.

Paladin of Souls is my favorite. Don’t forget the Penric novellas when you’re done with the trilogy

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I just finished Garth Nix’s Keys to the Kingdom series (I started reading it in late middle/early high school and we only had the first two books since they were the only ones published at the time :corsair:) and I have to say that I think Garth Nix has something against happy endings in general but it was really good.

Having God(Yisun) commit the equivalent of suicide by destroying all of creation after setting up the protagonist with both the abilities and the tools to recreate it as it was right before the end and make it seem reasonable is a hell of a move in a YA series.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

smackfu posted:

How is the Princess Bride book anyway? The movie is so well known I wonder how the book holds up.

It’s interesting, and not really like the movie. It’s a deliberate send up of old adventure books, but it’s a dry kind of humor.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

The problem with Cultist Simulator is that it’s made by Alexis Kennedy, notorious sexual harasser who preyed on the women in junior positions in his company.

Turns out that Twitter mobs are bad and not always correct..

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Edit: Disregard, better suited to another thread.

I am loving Redemptor so far, the sequel to Raybearer. I may have a thing for YA fiction.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 23, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm going to believe the women speaking out against him in this case, thanks.

I swear I was editing before you posted that.

I’m all for believing victims. I also believe that if someone has evidence in either direction, they should have a chance to access it/share it.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m in the mood for some simple, competently executed D&D-ish fantasy. Something along the lines of Elizabeth Moon’s Paksennarion stuff. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks

The Heroes of Phlan trilogy is straight up D&D based.

Also the Penhaligon Trilogy is pretty good.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I finished with Redemptor and I appreciate so much of it, including baby’s first introduction to parts of Marxist theory and the meditation done deconstructing a lot of ‘monarchy good’ default fantasy bullshit. Those are important things to include in YA fiction, I think. I love the examples of art, fashion and songs that she included in the description, especially since the audiobook narrator actually sang some of it. (in a good way) It’s one of the reasons I like Tolkien and it was refreshing to get it from an African base instead of Nordic/Western European. The audiobook definitely helped me get a feel for the accents that I don’t have as much cultural context for.

I kind of wish she had spent more time on the recruitment of her council and the emotional and societal impacts of that but there were already times where it dragged and there was a lot more to get to. I also feel like she didn’t give Tarisai’s anxiety enough space, but see above comment. I do like how the main take home about the human villains is “People can be evil, but it’s usually more complicated”. And the ending was satisfactory. There were some things not examined to their fullest extent, I feel, including the ramifications of Blueblooded-ness, but it is YA.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have a request for recommendations around a plot point that I don't think I've really seen before. The forces of pure Chaos and darkness are ubiquitous big bads in sci-fi and fantasy, but I've got a weird craving for a villain that is the inverse: the searing zeal of an uncompromising force of Order. Not just a "tyrant is bad, we should overthrow them" story, but a "the cleansing crusade of an impossibly exacting dogma has set out to eradicate the impure and that means us".

I just really like the idea that, just as embracing Chaos leads to madness, going too far down the road in the opposite direction kindles a relentless obsession with and thirst for the light that's no less insane.

Try The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. The rest of the series doesn’t follow that theme but it’s a pretty good sum up of what’s happening in the first book

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
What page were the ‘cozy fantasy’ recs on? I want to find the title of the sewing one.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

EdBlackadder posted:

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik £0.99 UK Kindle daily deal. No idea if it's any good.

It’s good. It’s sequel drops tomorrow.

Edit: f, beaten by a year, but I will Nth the recommendation and look forward to seeing how Gal’s prophecy comes true but on a totally justified way, and why she’s supposed to stay away from Orion.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 27, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So, I’m only on chapter 3, but the discussion about honeypots is confirming a nasty idea that I’ve had rolling around in my head during the last book. The school is 100% a honeypot to protect the Enclaves

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Yeah agreed Jesus that was a gutpunch to end on. I am almost shocked we didn't get any catharsis whatsoever.

Good book and I'm glad to have read it but really don't think I'll be revisiting any time soon.

At least the third book is supposed to come out in 2022.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Ah, there's gonna be a sequel? That makes everything make a lot more sense. I thought it was a duology.

It’s billed as a trilogy, and the blurb on the Penguin Random House website finishes with

quote:

The magic of the Scholomance trilogy will continue in 2022

So :shrug:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Yeah, my local library has like 30,000 ebooks available for borrowing, and around 1000 of those are sci-fi and/or fantasy. Check your local library’s website to see what app they use (Overdrive seems to be pretty common) and try it out. It’s literally free books

Also see if they participate with Libby (although, technically Libby is an Overdrive subsidiary) and/or Hoopla. My library does both, but both have different check-out limits and different selections. Hoopla actually includes things like visual media and music for check out as well.

(You can also lay down with a paperback, if you’ve got a bedside lamp.)

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 6, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

I feel like something’s going over my head here.

I just finished There is No Antimemetics Division and it is excellent. Well worth the money.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

Battuta wrote baru

That definitely went over my head and absolute :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

My best friend came to me and said "please join our discworld book club please please" and while I've been busy reading other things, well, how can I resist? I haven't read any Discworld in years, and I've only read a handful before then.

Did you read any of the Tiffany Aching books? I think you’ll like those in particular.