Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doctor Jeep posted:

boy - very good
fellside - very good
someone like me - just ok

I haven't read any of those yet, but I did like his Felix Castor series quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Munin posted:

Any good non-bleak and/or uplifting scifi or fantasy? given my excessive news consumption I need a palate cleanser.

I'll add my voice to the throng recommending The Misenchanted Sword.

Also, though it's also older, there's Archform: Beauty by L. E. Modesitt. It's a story conveyed through five different first person narrators and I really liked it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pseudanonymous posted:

Uh no, obviously if you woke up in a female body the very first thing you would do is start playing with your own breasts then lasciviously describe their shape, firmness, texture, color, aureola color, nipple color, nipple sensitivity, nipple size, nipple length, and you'd obviously want to invest some time playing with them to see how responsive they, how that makes you feel etc..

Have you not like literally created a checklist for yourself for what you would do if you woke up in a female body?

FYI, if you haven't you'll never be a successful sci-fi author, this is literally a huge part of the SFWA application.

I might eventually do stuff like that, but figure one of my first thoughts would be "gently caress! Pissing is going to be way less convenient now! No more playing Lumberjack either."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Well thread, in the complete opposite direction, any uplifting or optimistic or fun Sci-fi to recommend, given the state of everything?

It's more fantasy but with some Sci-Fi elements but I'd recommend something I'm currently rereading - the Coramonde duology. Yes, duology. Instead of 3 or 5 and 10+ massive tomes, it's a two book series, The Doomfarers of Coramonde followed by The Starfollwers of Coramonde. Both are by Brian Daley who wrote these before writing the original Han Solo trilogy.

So yeah, these books are very much blasts from the past. Doomfarers was published in 1977 with Starfollowers coming out in 1979.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RDM posted:

Personally, this is what I can't stand about every piece of fiction that tries to tackle evopsych. Evolution of complex systems with emergent properties is mind-bending and often wildly counterintuitive. Exploring the implications just ends up sounding like a toddler trying to explain how airplanes work.

I haven't read blindsight but I don't think, from the descriptions here, it's gonna be the book to change my mind.

It might. I might check it out to see what choices the kids have to make to keep that scary space vampire from eating them.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jedit posted:

He also wrote the novelization of TRON. I didn't realize that he was a Foster rather than a Garry Douglas.

Even after Googling I don't get that reference even a little bit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pradmer posted:

Sworn to the Night (Wisdom's Grave #1) by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078S7SK9T/

The Way into Chaos (Great Way #1) by Harry Connolly - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0G480U/

The Coramonde novels aren't like either of these works as far as I can tell. Earth is basically our real world Earth at the time of the Vietnam war. It's not an "urban fantasy" place full of witches, werewolves and vampires. The sole deviation from "normality" is the (very secret) existence of a device which allows travel between dimensions. As for Coramonde, magic definitely exists there, but it's a little limited in some ways. Magic is mostly a thing of rituals. Wizards/sorcerers don't generally cast fireballs or lightning bolts, they use a ritual to summon and bind some scary demon/spirit/etc to do that. Gil MacDonald, his "Nine-Mob" crew and their Armored Personal Carrier are summoned out of the Vietnam War to act as a counter to an actual dragon, which has been summoned by the bad guys.

One thing that really struck me was how three-dimensional the characters were, especially the women, who had goals and agency. Doomfarers was published back in 1977. I also liked that even the people working for the bad guys were often presented as being brave. competent and somewhat heroic at times.

AngusPodgorny posted:

I remember having Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien, so I assumed that Garry Douglas was famously against novelizations as contrast. But then I looked it up and Douglas did the novelization of Highlander, so now I don't know.

Yep, completely missed that. The Garry Douglas Google gave me is some kind of motivational speaker.

That said, Tron aside, the Han Solo novels were just novels set in the Star Wars universe (published between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back) and the Coramonde books were original works by Daley.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 26, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I recommend the Sten series which is fun, action-packed and also at least cautiously optimistic. It reads like "What if the Empire in Star Wars wasn't cartoonishly evil and incompetent" meets "What if Warhammer 40K wasn't depressingly fascist as balls?"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

quantumfoam posted:

Have two more fun and light scifi story recommendations plus a uplifting scifi story rec.

Harry Harrison wrote two fun light YA stories called THE MAN FROM P.I.G. and the THE MAN FROM R.O.B.O.T. And yeah, there is lots of pigs in the first book, and lots of robots in the second book.

Thinking about it a bit THE BLADERUNNER is actually uplifting. It starts out grim as hell, but by the end people across multiple spectrums have come together to stop a national COVID outbreak, and the draconian laws that granted universal free healthcare but also allowed for that massive COVID outbreak in the USA to happen are being revised to be less cruelly monstrous.

What massively draconian laws led to that book's massive COVID outbreak? Did they finally pass the "the opinions of willfully stupid people shall be given greater weight than those of medical experts" law?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lawrence watt-evans.

Start with The Misenchanted Sword. Very 80s but ahead of the curve on humanity.

I used to reread that book every couple years or so but it got lost/given away in my Great Book Purge of last year. I need to buy that thing again.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lex Talionis posted:

It's an oversimplificiation but I think of authors as having varying strengths at (and interest in!) plot, character, prose, setting, and ideas. Readers are likewise often very focused on only some of those. Setting ("worldbuilding") used to be a big deal in fantasy but seems like it's gone out of style; I think people who really appreciate setting often read historical fiction. People who appreciate prose above all else probably read literary fiction (this is why literary critics are always complaining that "spoiler warnings" shouldn't be needed...they just don't care about plot).

I say that because the Sanderson I have read was extremely good at a particular kind of plot, one that sets up mysteries like the TV show Lost, but which actually resolves them in a satisfying way. His Mistborn trilogy is better at this than almost anything I have ever read. Alas in every other respect it's thoroughly mediocre. I haven't read Way of Kings but will try it eventually because I think the effect is better at longer lengths; when I've read shorter books of Sanderson's (e.g. Alloy of Law) there's not enough space for the setup->resolution to be as satisfying.

That's not the only reason he's successful. He brings a science fictional rigor to fantasy that appeals to a certain sort of reader (I guess you could call it setting) and of course his amazing productivity has served him very well. But I have been surprised there aren't more authors who aren't able to match his use of satisfying reveals; I guess it's harder than it seems. Or maybe his rigorous "magic" lends itself to it. But I can easily name 20 SF/F books that set up intriguing mysteries and then completely fail to deliver on them and then another 20 that have great characters or prose but which have bizarrely misfiring plots. I can even name other books with rigidly mechanical magic. But it's tough to point to authors who are as good at reveals.

I'm sure others could make better suggestions but when I think of people who come close to what Sanderson does, Ada Palmer and (yes, really) Seth Dickinson come to mind (life not being fair I don't know if it would succeed, but if you ever make a Kickstarter I at least would back it!). I don't think they're quite as effective as Sanderson is in Mistborn...but fortunately they are better (it seems to me) in every other respect. But I think for different reasons those both give many readers ample reason not to like them. Mycroft's style of narration is a clear reason in Palmer's case; I loved it but it's not going to be to everyone's taste. And when I gave Traitor Baru Cormorant as a gift to an avid fantasy reader, she read a bit and told me, "I can tell this is really good, but my life is too stressful to read something like this right now." So maybe the secret to popularity is being very good at one particular aspect of writing and then being bland and inoffensive in every other area. I guess you could argue this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula, just replace plot revelations with interconnected storylines.

Even as someone who backed his Kickstarter I'll say that Sanderson isn't really my favorite author. I don't think he sucks. I did enjoy the Mistborn trilogy (though I never really got into the follow-ups). But I never got into his finishing the Wheel of Time because that series just loving exhausted me even back when Robert Jordan was still alive. The first couple of books of the Oath of Kings were pretty cool, but I think that thing's going to exhaust me as well. Favorite author status kind of fluctuates over time with me. Based on sheer quantity of stuff I own, it's probably Jim Butcher (own all 17 of his Dresden novel, all six Codex Alera and The Aeronaut’s Windlass), but it terms of personal preference I really like Ben Aaronovitch way more (and I likely hope in vain that he'll transition the Peter Grant series into becoming the Abigail Kamara series because I think there's a lot more story space to explore beyond staying with "police procedural with magic and also I just loving love the Abigail Kamara character).

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

That's Modesitt's style in general. He has certain ticks in his prose that I really hate (like how every character uses the same turns of phrase...just count up how many times people use "most": "he was most unpleasant"; "you are most welcome"; "it is most unusual", etc etc etc).

FYI the Recluce series is one of those series where publication order =/= chronological order and the different books jump to different parts of the timeline. I really liked that aspect of it, because legendary figures in books set later in the chronologically have their own books where they are the POV character. Three of the books in particular are set in the same period but have POVs on opposite sides of the conflict and I thought that was done rather well.

Also if you don't like this book, don't force yourself to pick up the next Recluce. I stopped reading somewhere around book 16, because even though every book has different characters and different events, they all have a very similar formulaic feel to them. It's a critique that Modesitt is aware of...but does not agree with. Here's a spoilerific blog post he made 10 years ago about it: https://www.lemodesittjr.com/2011/10/04/the-same-book-and-lots-of-spoilers/

A better Modesitt rec would be the Spellsong Cycle, which is 5 books long and is kind of really a trilogy with a sequel duology stapled to it. It first came out back in 1997 and is technically an isekai/portal fantasy :v: but I really enjoyed it as a musician. All of the same prose issues are still there, particularly bad in the dialogue exchanges between the main POV character in the 4th and 5th book and her love interest, but it didn't have the same repetitive feel as Recluce.

I always liked Jennifer Roberson's Tiger & Del / Sword Dancer series. There are 6 books of good old sword and sorcery adventures.

Fake edit: wait what, there was a 7th book? AND there's a new book coming out this year?! That's going on my TBR list.

The only Modesitt book I ever read all the way through was Archform: Beauty. I remember liking it quite a lot. I'm not sure why I never sought out more of his stuff. Possibly the sheer amount of the Recluse stuff gave me pause or something.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

moonmazed posted:

drat butcher is still just crankin em out huh. i gave up like ten books ago

I don't know that "crakin' 'em out" is the best description. In 2020 he released Peace Talks and Battle Ground - which were basically two books made from splitting one really large book in two. That was after a five year drought due to remodeling-caused divorce or something. When will book 18 come out? gently caress knows but probably not this year.

Meanwhile Jonathan Maberry's Kagen the Damned comes out May 10. As a huge fan of his Joe Ledger series, I'm looking to seeing what he'll do in a fantasy novel.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pradmer posted:

The Darwath Series: The Time of the Dark, The Walls of Air, and The Armies of Daylight by Barbara Hambly - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090WTL90/

Jesus-gently caress I remember those. I remember reading those books in high school (and am 53 years old). They kind of rocked, truth be told.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kalman posted:

Crown of Stars was… okay? After a while I just set the series down and never went back. It felt like there was something good there but it was buried in a lot of boring things.

Probably not something similar, but you might consider Thomas Harlan's Time of the Sixth Sun series which starts with Wasteland of Flint. Sixth Sun is set in an alternate history future where Japan made early contact with the Azteks and formed an alliance that eventually came to rule the rest of the world and then go out into space.

Wasteland of Flint has a unique setting and is also a "WTF is happening here" exploration puzzler more than a space opera, so it was very much my jam.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Copernic posted:

Kate Elliott wrote about how many letters she got from readers on this. Basically readers were shocked that instead of writing an abuser into a Heathcliff/Twilight/50 Shades brooding romantic reclamation project he's just an unadorned piece of poo poo, full stop. And the solution is to get the gently caress out not try and Change Him. They just hadn't seen that in fiction before. I'd drink a belt or two after a few of those letters.

This makes me want to pick up Crown of Stars. I am so loving sick of "The guy that does lovely things to you? You need to be worthy of him and heal him because the lovely things he does to you are basically your fault for having a vagina." I want books where the solution is the real-life solution of get away from him/put him in prison or just kill his rear end. You don't "heal" an abusive piece of poo poo. You flush him down the loving toilet.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Yup. I'm guessing it evolves in to a Space Revenge Thriller after the point I quit but the 1980s are way too recent for me to stomach and get past the main character getting with a 15 year old in the first few chapters of the book.

Kind of, but the Sten series isn't so much a series as a really large novel/story told in eight books. Also I don't remember a 15 year old in terms of specific age, but it's been a long while since I read that specific book. From what I recall Sten and the girl in question were around the same general age/maturity level. IIRC Sten is a teenager 14-17 when his family is killed and he "gets" to take over their company debt.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I very well could have misinterpreted his age, it was very specific with hers though. The real nail in the coffin of my interest there was the scene (immediately after the sex?) discussing how she was the only one in her age group not on sexual development blockers, I figured between those two things the book wasn't going in a direction I liked lol

e: ill grant this might be an overreaction to a brief scene in a book, but i have too many damned other things to read :colbert:

I think you should take another whack at it. It's again been a long time since I read that book, but it's not going in the direction of "pedophilia is fun" so much as "this mining set-up is an incredibly hosed-up capitalist horror scene that needs to be destroyed." Sten is ultimately kind of a working-class space opera James Bond without quite so much of Bond's misogyny. There's a lot of it that's like Star Wars meets Leverage.

But yeah, it was written in the 80s, so there's certainly going to be stuff in the series that's kind of off to our more modern sensibilities.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

calandryll posted:

drat it, I really liked the Nightwatch series. Well Vita Nostra is a much better novel anyway.

goodness posted:

Don't tell me this. Three Body Problem is so good.

I really enjoyed J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. And Kevin Spacey as Mel Profitt in Wiseguy. And Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

And after thinking about it, I still do. There are plenty of good people who aren't great (or even good) artists. And there are also great/good artists who aren't good people. You can enjoy those people's art while recognizing that they are lovely, awful people who have lovely, awful opinions.

Thomas Edison was apparently a horrible, controlling person, but I still use light bulbs. Like that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

It's been talked about a lot but ultimately this comes down to each individual and how much knowing about someone's assholery affects you as you read/watch/play. If it's going to bug you as you read, or have you thinking 'ugh there sure aren't a lot of gay people in this book written by a notorious homophobe and now I can't stop thinking about it' then it's legit to just avoid the work. It's legit anyway, of course but like - just telling people to ignore that stuff makes it too simple, I reckon.

And then there's the 'everyone sucks equally and you should never try to discriminate because everyone is awful' take.

I think if somebody's awfulness keeps you from enjoying the work, then yeah, don't consume. On the other hand, just because your enjoy somebody's art does not mean you approve of their actions as a person. I remember reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. It was pretty good, even though I didn't like it enough to seek out other books in the series. But Orson Scott Card is still a homophobic puddle of infected diarrhea as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't recall Spacey or Whedon injecting their sexpest behavior into those examples but Harry Potter oozes Rowling's lovely beliefs. This is the series where the 'chosen one' was a mediocre trust fund kid who grew up to become a magic cop and pretty much fought to keep the wizard world status-quo and the writing itself is full of racist, supremacist nonsense.

I admit that it's been a while but weren't the racists/supremacists Voldemort's followers who got their asses handed to them?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

racism and prejudice are bad but the hero joins the met and everything's sorted

Well, that worked out pretty well for Peter Grant.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Queer Salutations posted:

Here's a YouTuber who did a deep read of the Harry Potter books in the modern context if you want a refresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

I had been mildly regretting dumping my HP books in my big book purge. That regret is gone now.

Hearkening back to the Dread Empire discussion, here's another Dread Empire that's completely different:

https://www.amazon.com/Praxis-Dread...oks%2C85&sr=1-4

Basically this is set in a future were humanity, along with a bunch of non-human species, have long since been conquered and absorbed to become part of the Shaa empire. Now the very last Shaa is dying and at that point leadership of the empire will be up for grabs. The thing I remember most about this series is that the Empire had a near-total monopoly on force. If an area revolted the Shaa would send ships to "rain down bombs on helpless populations." Yep that phrase shows up a lot. The point being that nobody in the Shaa empire really knows how to do ship to ship fighting in space anymore, so they all have to try to figure it out from scratch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

The Harry Potter books are basically a fantasy version of the English boarding school stories like the Greyfriars pulp stuff from the early 20th century, which is itself a deeply conservative genre in a particularly British kind of way. There was simply no way that a Brit of Rowling's generation - even a working class woman - was going to write about any sort of challenge to the status quo. Mocking Hermione for her SPEW activism is a good encapsulated example of that: she may be morally right, Rowling may be sympathetic to her beliefs in general, but all this running around and protesting is rather unseemly and we should actually just trust the grown-ups to make slow and incremental change without upsetting anybody. Pure Blairite.

I also remember reading George Orwell's deep dive on the pulp fiction of the boarding school genre and finding a lot of it strikingly familiar with Potter fandom, especially American Potter fandom which I think is so akin to the sort of reflexive nostalgic Anglophilia that made e.g. Downton Abbey such a success:

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/boys-weeklies/

I think George Orwell would have greatly appreciated Another Brick in the Wall

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"Liberal" seems to be the go-to.

Unfortunately, the main opposition to "liberal" is "conservative" AKA the ones who that the bugs in the system are features.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I 100% believe that jkr thought she was being provocative and philosophically daring by putting the house elves in. What if slaves, but they wanted it? Hmm? Is that good, or bad, or something else? What do you think, class?

Big time "let's have a Serious Conversation about why it's not ok for me to say the n word when other people can" energy

Maybe some. On the other hand, we do have Harry freeing Dobby from from the Malfoys by arranging for Lord Malfoy to "give" Dobby a sock (I know that's in the movie and I think it's in the book as well). We also have Harry interacting with Kreecher and feeling skeeved out by himself being the "cruel master." Still, overall, it tracks with the idea that Dowling is saying, "You need to be good slave-masters to the house elves" instead of grasping that, y'know, slavery of anything is bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

Depends a bit on what era of King, but overall, JKR. Stephen King at least has learned and grown over his career and shored up the bits where he was really weird or bigoted or racist.

My brother read 'It' when he was 11 which is probably the least creepy age to read it.

And what did he think of the child orgy in that book as an 11 year old?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, all I need to do is look at politics to know that you can't trust adults with literally anything BUT I like to be an optimist and if I start down that road I get into censorship and no thank you

Still, there's a big difference between actual censorship and you yourself looking at the house elf slave book and going "Nah, that's not for me or my kids."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

I recently got a history book from the charity shop that was printed in 1910 and someone has written an angry note in the front about how it leaves out some admiral or other. I love that stuff. Not underlining/ highlighting, that's boring, but little notes and comments are awesome.

Which admiral because now you've got me curious?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kalman posted:

Zodiac is Stephenson’s best book. I will not be taking any questions.

I haven't read all of Stephenson's books, but I did enjoy Zodiac the most of the ones I did read - which included Snow Crash and The Diamond Age.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MockingQuantum posted:

Though from the books I've read, there's a varying scale of how competent the Well Actually guy is (or isn't), and how much comeuppance they face for being a tool, at least.

I loved 16 Ways but my enjoyment of the trilogy went down with each of the next two books.

A ways upthread I was pushing the Coramonde series. One of the characters in that series is Gil MacDonald, a young former sergeant in the Vietnam War who ends up in the land of a magic and medieval warfare. An enemy sorcerer has access to a magical airship. MacDonald gets his allies to build false campfires mixed with illusory troops. The key here is that MacDonald is from the 1970s and understands aerial reconnaissance - including the limits of it. The trick works, but it's treated as a one-time thing because the sorcerer with the airship is also smart and competent. It seems like this Parker person failed to understand that other people will also be smart and they'll figure out Well, Actually guy pretty quickly.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

Max Gladstone's latest has some strong Americana-horror vibes

For Americana-horror I really like Robert Jackson Bennet's American Elsewhere.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of white supremacy, I don't know how many people here are familiar with M.A.R. Barker, the creator of the classic Tékumel - Empire of the Petal Throne fantasy setting. Tékumel was the first detailed setting published for Dungeons & Dragons, as well as the focus of multiple independent RPG systems. Barker also published several novels set in the empire. While it never achieved mainstream popularity, Tékumel had a dedicated cult following for being much less eurocentric than the typical western fantasy setting.

Anyway, there has recently been some new revelations about Barker's activities:

There might be a little more to all that than at first glance. From Dave Morris's Fabled Land Blog Scroll down to March 24, 2022. Part of an excerpt to a letter sent to a British publisher by Barker prior to its eventual publication:

quote:

“I do have a novel that is unsold and unwanted by anybody. This is what I call my ‘Nazi novel’. I did not show it to the Wollheims both because they don't do this sort of book and also because they are Jewish and would be terribly offended -- and they are nice people. I started out to write a ‘near-future’ thriller: young mercenary is hired to steal cannisters of germ warfare from an American stockpile in the 2040 A.D. period. This is used by a fearful Israeli government and various cronies to destroy the Soviet Union; the Soviets get in a retaliatory strike with germ warfare of their own, however, and take out many US, British, etc. cities. Out in India, where the young mercenary is employed, the descendants of the Nazi SS and other ‘refugees’ are quietly biding their time, building up economic resources for a come-back. With the presidency and vice-presidency of the United States open after the deaths of their incumbents, the Secretary of State takes over -- an old, reconstructed racist. He invites the Nazi movement to help in running the US. The mercenary hero, who is not a Nazi, is an employee of the Indian chemical company ‘front’ for the Nazis and gets into the situation as a sort of military expert for them. The Nazis manage to gain access to a giant computer with independent ideas, and they use this machine to rewrite Mein Kampf using every sales pitch and advertising trick in the book. The hero initially loves and marries an Indian girl, but later falls for a Nazi girl who is helping with publicity. The plot thickens, and various major events occur. The book ends with the Nazis taking over much of Western civilisation, and with our hero being chosen ‘Second Führer’ and riding into the stadium to the ‘Sieg Heils!’ of the masses.

“The only people I can imagine enjoying this book would be skinheads and Sir Oswald Mosley. It would probably create as much fuss as Rushdie's Satanic Verses, and could not be published under my own name. Both the author and the publisher would become the target of many rude remarks, letter-bombs, hand grenades, and visits from Mossad. I mentioned this book just to show you that I am not completely dead -- yet. Still alive and working. I don't expect you to want to publish it. Nobody will. I cannot even sell it to the Neo-Nazi presses here; they would not accept the idea of an Indian girl marrying the hero.”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

freebooter posted:

I read the Morris post and all the commentary below it and it seems like a perplexingly complicated situation about a weird, weird guy.

https://fabledlands.blogspot.com/2022/03/was-professor-m-r-barker-nazi.html

edit - and I can sort of see Morris defending Barker mostly because he liked and admired him, in the same way that I reflexively defend Morris because I like and admire him even though he's a white male baby boomer with all the corresponding views on cancel culture, freedom of speech and why people should leave poor old J.K. Rowling alone etc

Based on the letter the Nazi novel comes off a little bit half-satire, half-prophecy with the Nazis winning through good PR/advertising.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The nazi propaganda novel is available online.

It's very bad and not meaningfully satirical.

I'll take your word for it and not seek it out. I think the only "Nazis win" novel I ever read was Harry Turtledove's In the Presence of Mine Enemies

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shitshow posted:

Does The Man in the High Castle count as a “Nazi win” novel?

Probably it's more of a "Fascists win" thing, but I'll happily call it "Nazis win" because I'm pretty sure that "Fascists Win" includes our current actual real world and I don't want to think too much about that for fear of puking and crying on my laptop.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lex Talionis posted:

Interesting juxtaposition here.

Hard to believe but it's been 24 years since Heroes Die was published. I'm not nearly as enamored with its "invincible martial artist" shtick as I was back then, but the content between the fight scenes felt so rich and interesting I would have expected Stover to have a great career ahead of him. Instead I don't think he's published anything in a decade. I don't blame him for that, to be clear; being an author is a very tough and usually poorly paid job, but as a reader who would have liked to see what came next it's a shame.

For her part, Cherryh somehow managed to publish 17 Foreigner books in a little less than thirty years. Individually they can't be making that much money but she's managed to stick out a midlist career long after the death of the midlist market. For most of that time I was frustrated by the fact Foreigner sequels were apparently more in demand than Alliance Union stuff and particularly a Cyteen sequel. But then we got Regenesis and, well, it's worth reading, but maybe Cyteen was a once in a lifetime moment.

This made me look up another author who was very exciting but dropped off the map, Steph Swainston. Year of Our War felt important and powerful when it first came out, don't think I remember seeing it discussed here, at least recently. She burned out and stopped writing for a while, but it turns out she put out another book in the Castle series in 2016 and I didn't hear about and said three more were coming (but so far they haven't).

When I was a teenager I spent a lot of time looking forward to forthcoming books and getting burned on them, series mostly forgotten now like Charles Sheffield's Heritage books (the last one was a disaster) and David Brin's Uplift trilogy (again, the last one was a disaster). Maybe the next wave of authors learned something from that; Martin and Rothfuss certainly found an elegant solution to the last-one-disaster problem, but the fans seemed to have gotten burned just the same. I think I do better these days at just appreciating what I have and taking what comes. Hopefully Martin and Rothfuss fans learned that too. Or maybe they're just contributing to the Brandon Sanderson kickstarter instead.

Whatever else happens (short of his own death or an extinction level asteroid strike) Brandson Sanderson will loving finish his books and those endings won't suck.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Blastedhellscape posted:

Whew. I started at the bottom of the chain of posts talking about some author named Barker being into holocaust denial and nazi poo poo and was glad it turned to be some author I'd never heard of and not Clive Barker.

You'd assume that a gay dude who's written a lot about the theme of weirdos and outcasts trying to find their place in the world wouldn't be a secret nazi, but in recent years I've seen so many seemingly cool white dudes with money support so much horrible poo poo that it's hardened my heart and made me reflexively brace for the worst.

As I understand it, Clive Barker is gay and the Nazis put gay people into camps along with Jews and Romani, so figure Clive Barker is not going to be a Nazi, secret or otherwise. Although granted you just never loving know sometimes.

For my part I have pretty much zero dogs in the M.A.R. Barker business. I never got into Tekumel. I do consider Dave Morris to be a friend even if we've never met in actual physical life. I think something similar occurred with Morris and Barker. I recall a story about Winston Moseley, the person who brutally murdered Kitty Genovese. Later that same night he found a man sleeping in a car and woke him. He told the man to be careful that this wasn't a nice/safe neighborhood. This wasn't done from sarcasm but from actual concern for the guy's welfare. People are not of a piece. I can understand how the person Morris knew might not have shown himself to be the full person that he was.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Battuta posted:

Let me tell you about the magical man named Ernst Rohm, the original problematic gay

(no shade on Barker though)

I Wikipedied him so no need. Interesting (and deeply hosed up) that Hitler knew the guy was gay and was pretty much fine with it but also fine shipping other gays to the camps. OTOH, Roy Cohn was also a thing so again, you never know.

Sexual orientation is not a guide to moral/ethical decency. Gay people are also people and people can often be deeply, horrifically lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Opopanax posted:

Good thing the accident didn’t significantly affect the last three books in any way

I don't know if this is sarcasm (it probably is) but the main affect on the last four* books was that it lit kind of an "Oh poo poo, I could die!" fire under King to go ahead and get them done.

* Yes, four, after book seven he went back to wrote an eighth book that basically slots in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla called The Wind Through the Keyhole. If you weren't happy with Wizard and Glass and the mostly flashback structure, you'll probably hate Wind because you have a flashback story within a flashback story.