Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I'm in the mood for some fantasy. Help me decide which of these two I should read next:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington

Both are completed trilogies. So, if I start one and like it (3/5), I'll probably continue with the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I'll go with The Blade Itself. Thanks, friends. I'll report back how it goes.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Sextro posted:

As someone who will easily binge-read 400-500 pages every day e-books have been a godsend.
Teach me your ways.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

thotsky posted:

I bounced off The Blade Itself so hard it made a noise. Seems like a good example of "low fantasy" though.

What made you bounce?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My bookmark for this thread was last read back on page 50-something where folks were "discussing" 'I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter', so it's serendipity that this article just got published:

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/22543858/isabel-fall-attack-helicopter

You should read it.

Yikes.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

StashAugustine posted:

twitter: it's not good, folks

facebook: it's far worse, people.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Mr. Nemo posted:

And please don't say one of those that do a 100 print limited run that immediately sell and you have to rebuy for 5x the price.

So regular hardcovers? Define "nice" hardcovers.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ccs posted:

My favorite fantasy series is The First Law by Joe Abercrombie. There are very valid criticisms of parts of the first trilogy, but it's still great imo.

I'm about 30% through The Blade Itself and finding a bit dull. It does pick up eventually for the series, right?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ccs posted:

Sure does. And the sequels are all much better paced.

genericnick posted:

Yeah, Abercrombie markedly improved as he continued to write.

Okay that's promising!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

tiniestacorn posted:

Very good and cool. The narrator is a rock.

Is there any tie to Ancillary Justice series, or is it complete standalone?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It seems that the only lead he can write is snarky science man/nerd.

He tried something different with Artemis, and that didn't work out well.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Orc Priest posted:

Man, the prince of nothing series loving sucks. kind of felt like I got tricked into reading that.
Why did you hate it? Did you read all three books?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dune rules but every book after declines in quality, feel no guilt about hitting a point when you check out of the series for good but enjoy as much as you can. I've lost count of how many there are now that the son is pumping them out and I think one is coming out this month too

Am I good to stop after God Emperor of Dune?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Aardvark! posted:

I just started The Wheel of Time and it appears The Eye Of The World is the longest book in 40 pages of my Kindle library. :catstare:

Don't be surprised. The books in the rest of the series get progressively longer.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

I assume most have read Fifth Season but if not it's definitely worth it.

I read the first book and dropped the series about halfway into the sequel. I don't understand the hype. The series was a bore.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Book Twitter makes me not want to publish lol

In the sf/f book world on Twitter, your book will go unnoticed if it doesn't meet a set of specific criteria.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Aardvark! posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I thought Piranesi was Good but hardly something I'm going to be marveling at forever.

Don't let /r/fantasy hear you.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Has any read The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Nomnom Cookie posted:

goblin emperor is an extremely good book and tbqh if anyone needed to wait this long after release and then wait some more for a sale before they would buy goblin emperor, i don't want to know. i would hate you

i mean still read the book because it's extremely good. just dont tell me

How YA is it?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

ive heard the author of baru is a member of a forum full of notorious chuds and trolls

4chan?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

worse,. if you can believe it

Which one?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

General Battuta posted:

It's a place most hesitate to name:

Kesper North posted:

the call is coming from inside the thread

Thank you. Took me a bit to catch it.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

PeterWeller posted:

Y'all, Sea of Tranquility is drat fantastic, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's sorta doing the nesting doll bit that Cloud Atlas did, but when you get to the middle, it reveals it's high SF conceits, and then works back through its nested stories with that reveal in mind. There's a nice bit of meta-ness to it as well, with one of the stories being about a woman who wrote a pandemic novel that got adapted and became huge just as a pandemic was beginning. It's a little more tightly woven and less melancholic than Station Eleven was, but it's just as beautifully written.

I'm nearly 40% of the way through, and most of the Olive storyline so far seems like a whiny reflection of Emily St. John Mandel's own experience doing book tours. I hope it improves.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Stuporstar posted:

sf safely in Pulitzer-poo poo-tier lit fic territory or something?

Station Eleven is good but not Pulitzer Prize good :lol:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Working my way through "The Dark Forest" and Luo Ji just blowing tons of money and resources on his quest to find his dream girlfriend as a Wallfacer is just hilarious to me Not even an ounce of desire to assist with saving humanity, just pure hedonism. I can respect the guy. He knows what he wants and doesn't give a gently caress.

Never understood the focus of him finding his waifu for the first half of the book. I'm glad that ended at the half-way mark, and the series got progressively better.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Stuporstar posted:

I can’t believe I managed to hate-read all the rest of the way through Sea of Tranquility because it loving SUCKED DEAD DOG DICK

While I don't have as much for the book as you do, you nailed the flaws. I dropped it about 100 pages in, my usual limit for any book. I actually enjoyed Station Eleven, but her other books bored me to tears. Dropping SoT and The Glass Hotel confirms that I won't be reading anything by ESJM again.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

FPyat posted:

Hanya Yanagihara has also written a Cloud Atlas-like book called To Paradise.

Any good? I really enjoyed A Little Life.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When you're losing a book-off with your boyfriend so hard that you have to write to GQ about it

quote:

According to Nielsen, despite men famously making up half the population, they only account for 20% of the audience for literary fiction.

The rest are too busy playing video games.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Jarvisi posted:

How exactly do I get this novel on my Kindle? I'm. Little lost with this royal roads thing

Use Calibre.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Cry more.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Danhenge posted:

I just finished Upgrade by Blake Crouch and it was reasonably entertaining.

The book's focus on gene editing has me wanting to read Walter Isaacson's The Code Breaker.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I binged through the entire Three Body Problem series (not including the fake fourth book) thought it was good, does this thread like the series?

I mean it has some lovely opinions about masculinity and authoritarianism but I thought the series was pretty good about exploring the concepts it sets out to explore.

I really enjoyed it and felt the scale and story got exponentially better after the half point in the second book. I couldn't stand the invisible waifu story arc.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

MartingaleJack posted:

Was there ever a conversation about Pierce Brown in this thread? I'm almost finished with the last book in the Red Rising trilogy and I can't believe I haven't heard of these books before. Theyre very well paced. The characters are all interesting. When people die, and they do a lot, they stay dead. After the first book it's like the Expanse meets Spartacus.

The only thing I can think of that might have turned people off was the on the nose world-building about social mobility and identity politics.

Excellent and underrated trilogy. While the first three books focused on revolution, the recent trilogy focuses on maintaining power, with plenty of political intrigue and scheming.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Any better recommendations for techno thrillers?
Have you read Crouch's other books: Dark Matter or Recursion?

Everyone posted:

I recall enjoying the hell out of Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.

You beat me to this recommendation. I second this duology.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

AARD VARKMAN posted:

also holy poo poo this article is 2 weeks old
Sign me up for Jennifer Connelly alone.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

My god this was a slog.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

ToxicFrog posted:

I checked out Six of Crows based on earlier discussion in this thread and on account of being in the mood for a fantasy heist, and I am...not really digging it? So far it's been less heist-y and more just wildly stabby, and it keeps dragging me out of it by reminding me how young the characters are, which, based on the timelines given, means that Inej became a spy and thief of nearly supernatural skill with something like two years of practice, and Kaz arranged the mortgage of the pub and used the money to dredge and refit the Fifth Dock when he was like 12. It feels like it wants to be Lies of Locke Lamora but with weird magical bullshit taking a more central role, but isn't really pulling it off.

This why I always skip anything remotely YA.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Everyone posted:

"this specific child/teenager is somehow the bestest person ever at [insert thing important to the setting]."
That's the majority of YA.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Phanatic posted:

A friend recommended Sanderson's Stormlight series to me. I trust him, his recommendations had not yet failed me, and I liked how Sanderson got Wheel of Time moving again and then finished it off, so I started it.

And man I am just blown away by the number of words that have the quality of bad first-novel about them. Shardblade, shardbearer, shardplate, voidbringer, oathpact (seriously, oathpact. That's just redundantly redundant), *spren, highstorm, *ever*storm, clearchip, so on and so on and so on. And the book is very long for the amount of things that happen in it.

Does this series get better, or do I just chalk this one up as a miss and let it go?

Let it go. Your friend had a good streak, but he failed you here.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

thotsky posted:

I guess that's important representation, and maybe a neccesary response to fetishization. It's also pretty boring.

That's been the case for most fantasy books coming out (ayyy) in the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hi, I'm not dead,