Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

General Battuta posted:

e: new page shameful snipe and look, it's another central principle of psych that doesn't seem to replicate :(
Does the Fundamental Attribution Error not replicate?

Someone should write an SF book set in a universe where all of the psych studies of the last 50 years are legit and all of the effects they claim are huge and meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Drone Jett posted:

I mentioned Dave Duncan and his A Man of His Word series a few days ago and thought to refresh my memory on these since it's been a long time since I read these as a teenager. I recall finding the worldbuilding interesting but the characterization and plot less so.

It had an interesting for the time magic system based around words of power. Knowing one strengthened your greatest natural talent - as a thief, singer, orator, etc. Learning a second made you an adept, talented at everything you tried. A third made you a mage, who could perform magic of all kinds, but only temporarily while you concentrated. And knowing a fourth made you a sorcerer, capable of creating permanent magic. Some words were more powerful than others, and you could share your word with others, but it diluted that word's power, creating a nasty incentive for power hungry psychos to try to trick or force you to share it, increasing your power, then kill you to avoid dilution.

Our protagonist knows a word, although he does not at first know that he does, and through a series of adventures learns how this system works, about the public and secret faces of magical regulation (for avoiding magical interference in politics/war - good, for protecting individuals, especially those who know words - not so good), and even the source of the words and what happens if you learn more than four words.

Has anyone else read this series?
I read these as a kid and really liked them. There was a follow-up series too that took place about 15 years after the initial one and wasn't nearly as good. No idea how I would find them now.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Major Ryan posted:

Is there anything to know about reading Foundation? Should I approach the books in written order, or the chronological order starting with the books that were written later?

I vaguely remember having read some part of the series as a teenager, but can't remember a whole lot about it. It's a big miss on my list of big Sci Fi series that I've not read though, so I think I should at least give it a chance even though I'm aware that it's probably not going to live up to expectations.
I would start with publication order and you can definitely skip anything but the original trilogy if you aren’t feeling it. The original books were written in the 50s and the later ones and prequels were written 30 years later and feel pretty different.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Selachian posted:

I think the first book in the original trilogy is the dullest because it's just one problem after another popping up and being solved just as the Seldon Plan predicts. It gets more interesting in the second book onward after the Mule shows up.
I agree with this, though I still think someone who wants to read Foundation should start with the first book. The first book is just a collection of short stories that are Seldon Plan puzzles, which I can see being dull but it's fun if you like that style of old school big idea sci fi.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Kestral posted:

On a related note, at what point can you read the short story collections? I've heard a lot of praise for Vacuum Diagrams in particular.
You can read it any time and it’s by far the best one. If you like the cool ideas, Vacuum Diagrams gives that to you without having to read a whole novel set in each cool idea universe.