Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

started Murderbot, find it delightful

I enjoyed all of them, keep reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

quantumfoam posted:

Jack Chalker wrote lots of involuntary species body transformation/involuntary gender swap/skeevy sex fiction. Anyone coming across his work in 2021 be triply warned.

Chalker was one of my favorite authors in the 90s. I haven't read any of his stuff in close to 20 years and I'm afraid to since I don't want my memories tarnished. His Four Lords of the Diamond series was my favorite. He was active on the internet in the early days and was the first "famous" person I emailed. Being able to talk to your favorite author just blew my mind.

To echo quantumfoam, his stories may be hard to read if you're sensitive those sort of things.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Oh wait the "good" series I thought of other than Commonwealth was also a Hamilton series, Salvation :doh: I guess I'm just a total sucker for the idea of a house with rooms on different continents

What about houses with rooms on different planets? Thought that was a cool concept in Hyperion.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

Phanatic posted:

I just finished American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett and loved it, that mix of otherwordly sci-fi and existential horror is definitely my jam. Similarly I've dug what I've read by qntm (although he could seriously use an editor). Any recommendations for stuff that'll scratch the same itch?

Also check out The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

I think this came up somewhat recently in the thread but I can't find it. Can anyone recommend a really good audible version of a book? I have a credit expiring soon and don't want to waste it.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

Lester posted:

Sci-fi? Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions, narrated by John Malkovich

Otherwise:

Norm Macdonald, Based on a True Story, narrated by Norm Macdonald
and yeah, the Aubrey-Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull

Thanks for the suggestions all. I went with Breakfast of Champions because I can get the other versions from my local library but not the John Malkovich version. That sounds too good to pass.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

fritz posted:

There's at least one Chalker fan in this thread but it's not me.

It's me, I own a copy of all his books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Is anyone reading the Sun Eater Series? I've been seeing it show up on my Book-focused TikTok account and on my YouTube feed, with multiple creators dubbing it the next "epic" space opera.

Go ahead and read them if you have the time, I've enjoyed them.