Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only 7 bux too. :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

My review of Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner:

Rook is the protagonist, a women who flies giant mechas, who spent her career rescuing downed jockeys from battlefields and getting them to medics. PTSD caught up with her, and a traumatic incident put her in jail, into a chain-gang on a giant starship stationed in the broken part of outer space.

The Eye. The ocean, a region of space that has so much debris and strange physics going on that it's an ocean instead of void. Time works differently here. The various megacorps who constantly fight each other for the rest of space have a tense truce in the Eye, because it's all unexplored and there are treasures inside. Maybe.

So Rook has been taken from prison and put into this region of space and because her megacorp isn't sure this place is profitable, its ships are crewed by an increasing ratio of convicts.

This is where she meets the Juno. Her new giant mech, her shell. It's an antique, a prototype that's violent when she first meets it: it's rebelling, breaking from its restraints and trying to eke out a bit of space in its hangar. The only reason they can talk it down from more violence is because Rook is given its old jockey's helmet, which she uses to talk to it - but it forgives the deception and takes her as its pilot.

Juno's old and traumatized from losing its old pilots. Rook's traumatized from losing jockeys she couldn't rescue in time. They're both traumatized but they fly well together, and if you as a reader cannot approach these two characters ready to try to understand them, this book won't work. It's entirely from Rook's POV.

The plot? The plot is: Rook's part of a four-man unit of jockeys sent to explore some of the ruins in the ocean. They don't so much find horror as it finds them, and the plot escalates in action and horror: there's a devastating virus, there's an imprisoned thing, there are the other megacorps, and there's Rook's unit: Hail, another convict who leads them all. Salt, a giant of a man who carries his own trauma. Locust. Andrade.

This book goes surprisingly wide, filling in details about the wars outside the ocean, where these broken convicts came from. It fills in the story of the megacorp they work for, the ones they're aiming against, everything.

The book stays narrow, staying in Rook's head and following only what she's involved in.

It's so deep, though. Rook is so, so compelling and understandable, and the Juno alien in the right ways, understandable in the right ways.

I didn't know I could find a sci-fi book that hits everything I want: military sci-fi action, deep introspective psychological drama, horror, alien things, etc. Everything in this book sings just right and I didn't know it could exist without me having to write it.

Author? You did good.

Reader of this review? You gotta read this book. You gotta. The prose is hypnotic and you could drown in it. You deserve to enjoy this book.

Just finished this and anyone not currently reading it is Making A Mistake.

I have no idea why a centuries-old, rusting space dreadnought is such a satisfying setting.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What an awful tweet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Over the last few years I've been going back and occasionally hitting some of the foundational works of sci-fi that I missed over the years

Last year I finished Dune for the first time and loved it. This weekend I read through Dune Messiah.

I knew going into it that most people think Dune Messiah... ain't great. And yeah, it ain't great. :smith: I enjoyed it but despite its short length I still felt it dragged. Now I sorta get what people mean when they say "just read the first book and forget everything else that comes after it."

Hayt/Duncan is a pretty cool character though!

That being said I've already queued up Children of Dune to come back to after I get a lighter non-Frank Herbert palate cleanser in between :shobon:

Actually what they say is read until you hit a book you don't like, then stop because it doesn't get any better beyond that point. This may happen sometime in the 2nd book or the 3rd book. If you make it farther than that then seek medical attention.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aubrey-Maturin might as well be hard sci-fi for anyone not an expert tallship sailor. The reader is plucked down in the middle of this world full of mystifying jargon and complex systems and if you pay enough attention through the course of the story the author helps you puzzle out how most of it works.

In conclusion: read the books, they rule. Then go back and read all 20 again to get everything you missed the first time through (this will not be a chore).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I gotta admit I'm a little curious what a drug-sniffing dog picks up from a loaf of bread

I'm skeptical that it was the coriander, and I assume the cop had no specific reason to frame this particular package (because the dogs pick up on their handlers), but who knows?

Drug dogs pick up whatever their handlers want them to pick up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unisex bathroom is where I go if I’m not sure whether I want to pick up a lady or a dude.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

This looks neat, but I think the only Robinson I've read is Red Mars many many years ago, and I might even be wrong about that. Is 2312 good?

It is good but pretty wild IIRC.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was a good book IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Is there some way to trick Amazon when the deals aren't international? It's always such a bummer.

Temporarily switch your address to something in-country. Switch it back after purchase.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was definitely able to buy UK ebooks in the US after changing my shipping address to 10 Downing Street. Though that was several years ago so maybe they have since plugged the loophole.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

a foolish pianist posted:

Tor.com has this ridiculously charming short story A Guide for Working Breeds up right now:

https://www.tor.com/2020/03/17/a-guide-for-working-breeds-vina-jie-min-prasad/

This is delightful, but I am seriously disappointed in the lack of a link for the zero-g corgis in bowties video.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

read dawnhounds you cowards

Can't understand why they won't.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Friendly reminder that Angry Robot has their entire catalog on sale at the moment for 50% off, no minimum or maximum, if you use the code SHELFISOLATION.

I snagged 3 books I'd been looking forward to for not only cheaper than they would have been off amazon BEFORE the coupon, but with the coupon it came up to like 9 bucks.

Which ones are good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NK Jemisin

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Oh hey, this one's cheap here too. Anyone know what it is?

I stopped halfway through because it read like a video game novelization.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the membership form:

[ ] Check here to indicate that you take S.F. seriously.

Bing bong so simple.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rocode posted:

Just got the email for this!

A little confused by this line, though:

Amazing plot twist

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably at least 100!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chuck Tingle is not semi hard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s derogatory in the same way that “dive bar” is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

It's a good book OP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Has anyone read Ninth House? It was at the top of Goodreads list of fantasy books for 2019 but some of the reviews look pretty mixed. Premise sounds interesting enough though.
https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-fantasy-books-2019

I liked it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

space marine todd posted:

A fun little pick-me-up of a short story in Tor:

Everything’s Fine

nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just trying to make sure that I’m not missing out on any important references. The chair one is easy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am also of the March 1, 2020 fellowship. My breath is literally bated in anticipation.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If this technology doesn't work as expected then there will be hell to pay.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Update: the technology worked as expected.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Red Mars is great.

I would recommend Perdido Street Station but if you haven’t read it already then WTF.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tor is giving away a sampler of novelas: Fantasy from Asia and the Asian Diaspora

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D8849V6/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You know you can get ebooks on a phone or a tablet right.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^^ Buy his book.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a novel or series. These are the qualities I'm looking for.

-somewhat serious / gritty without going overboard (ASOIAF-like, also liked Lies of Locke Lamora)
-low magic fantasy setting (think Conan or Abercrombie)
-intrigue a plus, but more concerned with interesting characters and themes

I've read GRRM, Abercrombie, Howard, Tolkien, Scott Lynch, Robert Jordan, and liked those well enough. Wasn't a fan of Malazan because when god mages are that prevalent I just lose interest because the plight of regular people just isn't that important in the grand scheme.

I guess I'm just looking for something comparable to ASOIAF but with an author who still writes.

Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wizzardstaff posted:

That's all, join me for my next update in six months when I catch up on Baru.

[spiler]Baru kills Dumbledore.[/spoiler]

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rule of thumb for how many pages you have to read before you give up on a book: 100 minus your age in years.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or the Broadway musical?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Harold Fjord posted:

too many discworld books

No such thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Release "The Starship Captain Baru Cormorant" now IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: