Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

pradmer posted:

Age of Myth by Michael J Sullivan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BCX0S0/

Can anyone give an opinion on this one? I've heard some good things about his self-published Riyria books, but I don't know anything about this series.

Read the Riyria books first. His first books have some great set pieces and fun mysteries. If you like Sullivan as an author, you’ll enjoy the new series, but it does not stand alone well.

It also has one of the most annoying tropes in fantasy series. The series is set in a pre-technological era, and an unusually intelligent character manages to invent a dozen innovations that are ahead of their time. Or invents things that it’s utterly implausible to have not been invented yet. A character invents the wheel, bow and arrow, pocket, and bunch of other stupid poo poo.

The series is entertaining, and I’ve grown to really like some of the characters, but I can’t pretend for a second that it’s particularly well-written. It might be the most predictable fantasy series I’ve ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got City of Stairs in my backlog, I should bump it up and give it a proper gander...

The entire trilogy is outstanding and might be my favorite completed fantasy series of the last decade. The ending is profoundly emotional and feels well-earned.

Foundryside is mediocre YA shlock :/

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

4 is the best Dune and everything afterwards is crap.

Agreed. I loved the setting and the entire concept of the Golden Path, though I admittedly thought this when I was in high school and haven't read it since.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Just read Sixteen Ways To Defend A Walled City by K.J. Parker and absolutely loved it. It was the first of his books I've read, any suggestions for what to read next by him, or is one as good as another? I guess his other works are lean more grimdark(?), which doesn't really bother me.

I'd recommend Sixteen Ways to anyone who likes Abercrombie, and particularly anyone who wants to like Abercrombie but finds the main characters too bleak.

Thanks for the recommendation -- I'm a huge Abercrombie fan, and the series I'm reading now (Malice by John Gywnne) just isn't doing for me.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

pradmer posted:

Seven Blades in Black (Grave of Empires #1) by Sam Sykes - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079RCCRM6/

I liked this book a lot -- kind of has a Red Dead Redemption feel to it. I'm also a total sucker for a good revenge story.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

It's been a long time since I've asked for recommendations, but I have somehow managed to burn through my entire backlog.

Authors that I've really enjoyed, in no particular order: Ann Leckie, Anthony Ryan, Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, Brian McClellan, Brian Staveley, Daniel O'Malley, Django Wexler, Joe Abercrombie, John Gwynne, Kameron Hurley, Mark Lawrence, Michael J. Sullivan (although honestly, each book has been worse than the last), N.K. Jemisin, Nicholas Eames, Richard Morgan (A Land Fit for Heroes), Richard Swan, Robert Jackson Bennett, Robin Hobb, and Sam Sykes, Scott Lynch.

Recent series that I absolutely loved were Sykes' Grave of Empires, Bennett's Divine Cities, Jemisin's Broken Earth, and Ryan's Covenant of Steel. I'm really not sure what those have in common other than a strong central protagonist and a feeling that their actions will have profound, world-changing consequences. On the other hand, The Lies of Locke Lamora is also a lovely book and has none of that. I asked some friends for recommendations, and they mostly recommended YA lit like [i[Fourth Wing[/i] which really doesn't sound like my jam.

I'm sure there's a lot of classic fantasy that I've overlooked as well, though I read Gene Wolfe and Glen Cook in high school, and I find it more enjoyable to follow modern authors and anticipate the release of new novels. So, if anyone's got some cool poo poo from the last 10-20 years that I've missed, hit me.