Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of Reynolds, has anyone had a chance to check out the new Revenger? I wasn't enthralled by the first two but enjoyed them well enough. Hopefully this final volume dives headfirst in the mysteries previously teased at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

What's your favorite "scientist sci-fi"?

All mentioned by now, but Aurora and Children of Time/Ruin were what came to mind for me.

Talking of the latter, I just got an email from Amazon about Tchaikovsky's new book. Not another Children story unfortunately but a parallel universe mystery on the Bodmin moors(?!).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Haven't got round to Foundryside, but really enjoyed the full 'Cities Of' trilogy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Carrier posted:

the changing of the main PoV really killed my interest

Worth it for the third book's POV.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I thought the novels based in Peter Jackson's Middle Earth universe were pretty good.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Given that Gideon at its core was a hunted house mansion story and how it ended, I have a hard time seeing Harrow will be anything like it.
Either the series devolves into into some form of relationship drama ( given that Gideon had way too many characters) or it turns into space opera.
I am happy to proven wrong though.

The blurb on Amazon suggests it'll possibly have a similar sort of feel, for whatever that's worth.

She answered the Emperor's call.

She arrived with her arts, her wits, and her only friend.

In victory, her world has turned to ash.

After rocking the cosmos with her deathly debut, Tamsyn Muir continues the story of the penumbral Ninth House in Harrow the Ninth, a mind-twisting puzzle box of mystery, murder, magic, and mayhem. Nothing is as it seems in the halls of the Emperor, and the fate of the galaxy rests on one woman's shoulders.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, last necromancer of the Ninth House, has been drafted by her Emperor to fight an unwinnable war. Side-by-side with a detested rival, Harrow must perfect her skills and become an angel of undeath — but her health is failing, her sword makes her nauseous, and even her mind is threatening to betray her.

Sealed in the gothic gloom of the Emperor's Mithraeum with three unfriendly teachers, hunted by the mad ghost of a murdered planet, Harrow must confront two unwelcome questions: is somebody trying to kill her? And if they succeeded, would the universe be better off?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Also I finished Pushing Ice and loved it. The whole scope of it was astonishing. What else is good by Reynolds?

House of Suns, definitely.

If you loved Pushing Ice, you'll probably like all the Revelation Space stuff.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

pradmer posted:

Forward (individual novellas collection) by NK Jemisin, Blake Crouch, Andy Weir, etc. - $0.99 each or $2.94 for all six
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WK7PVFT
I haven't seen it before and don't know anything about it, but I'm guessing the NK Jemisin entry must be pretty good.

All free with Prime as well, in the UK at least.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

Steel Frame was very good for a first time author, however I feel Steel Frame got hamfisted and pretty deus ex machina'y towards the 80% mark.

Alastair Reynolds repeatedly falls back onto "spaceship chase" as a framing device or content filler in a-lot of his stories.
Sometimes it's the basis of the entire story or book series (Galactic North, Revenger series, Chasm City, etc just to name a few) or it will occur multiple times in a series or book. Skim some of his stories, once you notice it, it is hard not to see, like the Fedex logo arrow.

Reynolds House of Suns and Redemption Ark both have it happening multiple times in-book. House of Suns wins out though, because in addition to alot of content-filler, it happens 3 times in-book to the same loving character.

Redemption Ark's spaceship chase is loving great.

Not a chase, but the similar near-relativistic battle in the second Poseidon's Children book is also really neat.

He certainly has his tropes though, no doubt. Spaceship chases, AI Ghosts in the machine, clones.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

mewse posted:

Just read this and really liked it, it's the first of a trilogy. Stupid tagline is "Game of thrones in space" because there's 5 industrial families on the moon competing with each other

To be fair, McDonald himself called it 'Game of Domes'.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There seems to have been such a shift towards present tense over the last few years (not just in SF&F), that it's not even notable any more. Just a normal stylistic choice.

It does mean if don't like it for whatever reason you'll be missing out on a lot of books.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What's with Tor's stubborn refusal to just have Muderbot at sensible novella prices?

Oh well, will happily take the three I have't got for no pounds.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

PawParole posted:

i havent had any luck when i asked last year, but has anyone here read any good Generation ships or interstellar colony novels in the last year?

What have you already read?

There's Aurora, obviously.

Chasm City and On the Steel Breeze by Alastair Reynolds have large parts of each set on generation ships.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone read the new Adrian Tchaikovsky? Sounds like a straight up slice of space opera, which I could really go for right now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

buffalo all day posted:

any word on which invertebrate species makes its sexy debut?

The blurb makes it sound like this one might be a bit more straightforward, but it's not like I went into Children of Time expecting to fall in love with a bunch of spiders who make computers out of ants so......

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

The doors of eden, by tchaikovsky

If you read Children of time and thought "I wonder what else this guy has written" stop. This was a lot worse than that. It's like a Dan Brown thriller with sci fi background. The concept is very interesting, and the in world book is great, but the plot itself and the characters are just ugh. And not in the usual sci fi way of having flat characters.

The book has nearly non stop references to pop culture stuff that just seemed unnecessary. 7 or 8 references to narnia, 2 doctor whos, hitchhiker's guide, jurassic park, you name it. It also has the phrase "In my head cannon i'm totally shipping you".

The plot gets a bit more cool sci fi at the end, but I don't think it's enough to overcome the rest of it. Which is a shame, because i absolutely loved Children of. I will postpone further reading of this guy, I had firewalkers lined up next

The way you've written this makes it sound like you might have missed the fact that there's a direct sequel to Children of Time; Children of Ruin: This Time With Octopuses. It's good.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any opinions on the new Tchaikovsky yet? I really enjoyed the first book despite (or maybe because of) it being choc full of your standard space opera clichés.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really loved Shards of Earth. It started off as as quite cliché (but in a good way) space opera relative to the Children of Time series but by the end was pretty out there and big ideas-y.

Thought it nailed the landing, personally. It gave every important character A Moment, while also actually Going There in a way that, say, The Expanse didn't even try to.

Totally onboard with whatever space stuff Tchaikovsky does next.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

He has an absolutely staggering amount of non Children of Time books actually, Shadows of the Apt is something like 10 books, there are a few other trilogies/duologies, and a handful of standalone books. I've only read one of the shorter standalones but it was good, I know people here have recommended his Final Architecture books. I can't say I've heard anything about Echoes of the Fall though.

edit: I should say, the thing that makes me say "staggering amount" is not sheer numbers so much as the fact that he's published somewhere upwards of 20 books since 2015 alone, and I don't think that includes any of the Shadows of the Apt series or a bunch of novellas, amazingly

And it looks like he's got three full novels coming out between March and August next year, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Second one is almost as good as the first. It's the last one that gets weird and deviates from the pattern.

This is kind of a good post/avatar combo!