Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Scar is $2 at the Kindle store today. And still so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
$2 for Deathbird today. Ellison rules!

https://www.amazon.com/Deathbird-Stories-Harlan-Ellison-ebook/dp/B00JVCHFFQ/ref=sr_1_17?qid=1570898325&s=digital-text&sr=1-17

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ritual observance patterns build the underlying magical terrain which you can then act on in whatever ways work for it. So you do high calendar rituals and get the appropriate terrain and use Kel formation instinct and formations to magic all your ships invulnerable until your enemy observes the ritual of blossoms a week early (massacring millions) and now your formation blows up all of your ships because the terrain's different. I really want a videogames based on this

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ellison's Shatterday $2 on kindle. A classic collection of great short stories

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90EME...d_i=11552285011

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
To Say Nothing of the Dog is funny and good be with a good audiobook too

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't understand what he thinks Materialism had to do with this but I know he's invoking it incorrectly

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You should post your hot political takes in C-SPAM, not the scifi thread.

'Omelas' but there's only one job left and everyone fights for it and everyone but the lady who gets it is a big stinky loser on the dole.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 31, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalman posted:

Griffin is a pen name for Catherine Webb, who also writes as Claire North. As North, her First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is excellent.

I didn't realize they were all the same person but Matthew Swift stuff was pretty good and so was Harry August and so is the XMen ripoff of Harry August

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

lol I read that as "genders are mostly marketing bullshit"

Also true!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really liked the one with the shitweasel that they kind of ruined for a movie.

Edit- Dreamcatcher. There was stuff that was kinda clunky and weird in it but it was mostly cool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gonna say Gideon the Ninth because of all the decay vibes

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD46PQ...d_i=11552285011

Ted Chiang's Exhalation for $5. great stories. Guy who wrote "arrival"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just want a space magic tactics game based on 9FG

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheAardvark posted:

drat it, 93% through The Praxis, it gets revealed that the two girls regularly having sex with adults are actually 14 years old because lol surprise we weren't using Earth years.

What the gently caress

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Days of Solomon Gursky by Ian McDonald - short story spanning near future to the end of time.
Semiosis by Sue Burke- duology regarding colonization of a new planet with sentient but slow plant life

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

I think this is my favorite work by her so far. :getin:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm just starting Harrow and already it's making me laugh. I fear no puns. Spoilered but it's an early joke that reveals nothing and I probably didn't need to.

Harrow the Ninth posted:

Another officer said, “My gracious lord, the loyal Saint of Joy…” “Has not yet learned to wait,” said God. “Hold the comms. I answered three of them just this morning.” “But her order countermands—” “A Lyctor’s order is the order of God and should be carried out with the same grace you would have honoured me with,” he said. “Except for right now. Station the last person to graduate Trentham on the stele and tell them to make static noises if she keeps it up.” “Lord?” “Air blown through the teeth, tongue high, hand flaps up and down over the mouth. Sounds suspect, I know, but she’s never caught on when I’ve done it.”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm not sure I understood the end of Gideon which is suddenly hugely important again for Harrow.

So far my theory at 40% through is They partially memory wipe Harrow and gaslight her and that's the Ortus stories then at the end regular Harrow comes back and we have Gideon (who knows what a pommel is) tell her what she did as gaslit Harrow so she's ready for part 3.

Woops thank you!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 11, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Finished Harrow. Confused about Alecto. she was freed because Gideon's blood under Harrows fingernails was enough to undo Dad's ward? where has she been this whole time?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Quinton posted:

That was my take... Probably somewhat due to Harrow's skill, but Gideon's blood was the key that allowed her to succeed. I assume she's just been haunting Harrow ever since, presumably after nearly 10000 years in the Tomb she's patient enough to wait for the right opportunity to ... well, I have no idea what...

Ok but is the ghost in the sword Alecto and also the Sleeper or was the Sleeper the ghost of Gideon's mom who went to 9th for reasons. I thought that's who the Sleeper was but then there's two ghosts and I don't think there were two

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Grimson posted:

Spoiler question for Gideon/Harrow the Ninth:

Can anyone remind me which part of the books Harrow having Gideon's blood under her nails came from (in order to unlock the tomb)?

H9 Chp 51.

It was worse when I was a kid. I remember the time you caught me telling her, I love you, and I can’t even remember what you said, but I remember that I had you on your back—I put you straight on the loving ground. I was always so much bigger and so much stronger. I got on top of you and choked you till your eyes bugged out. I told you that my mother had probably loved me a lot more than yours loved you. You clawed my face so bad that my blood ran down your hands; my face was under your loving fingernails. When I let you go you couldn’t even stand, you just crawled away and threw up. Were you ten, Harrow? Was I eleven? Was that the day you decided you wanted to die? You remember how the gently caress-off great-aunts always used to say, Suffer and learn? If they were right, Nonagesimus, how much more can we take until you and me achieve omniscience?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Real excited to read bort 3 someday

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

A friend asked me for sci-fi/fantasy books that tended feminist and were mostly happy, and she'd just finished Gideon the Ninth, so here's what I came up with in case anyone else wants my recs:

Okay here is a starter book rec set from me, it covers several genres and is mostly happy, and usually feminist:

Thread favorite Becky Chambers will suit your friend well.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mewse posted:

Confession time I actually enjoyed reading the notorious Ready Player One a while ago.

RPO is a lot like Name of the Wind in many ways. Sweet candy that received outsized praise implying it was actual food

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

Has anyone posted about Exhalation by the Chiang around the time it came out and can link me to the thread pages? I-d like to read what people thought.

We didn't talk about it hardly at all but here's some from search. Personally, I'm always down to talk about it more, it's real good.

I enjoyed the button that disproves free will a ton, off the top of my head.

Harold Fjord posted:

Ted Chiang's story "Exhalation" is real cool. It's about argon pressure powered robots who discover that their source of power is losing pressure. I'm only disappointed there wasn't a group of them that decided to depressurize even faster. I call them exhalerationists

Mr. Peepers posted:

Exhalation by Ted Chiang is a remarkable short story about a scientist trying to understand the inner workings of their own brain. A lot of Chiang's stories will fit the bill to some extent, really.

TA Metis posted:

I'm reading Ted Chiang's latest story collection, Exhalation. Turns out I've already read quite a few of the stories in this one but that's fine, they're good stories!

The title story remains absolutely fantastic. The simple image of looking inside your own skull through a series of mirrors and essentially operating on yourself is incredible.

And from "what did you just finish":

Sock The Great posted:

Exhalations: Stories by Ted Chiang Another collection of short stories from the same author of the short story which inspired the film Arrival. The highlight to me was the titular "Exhalation", which also happens to be one of the shortest stories in the book, is a beautifully written piece about androids dealing with the end of their existence. To me the worst was "The Lifecycle of Software Objects". It was so much longer than every other story and I just don't find the relationship between pet animal AI and their owners interesting. "Anxiety Is the Dizziness of Freedom" probably has the most potential to be another feature film. There is definitely a world to explore there.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 9, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

I found that rather baffling, honestly, given the vivid portrayal of the Cultural Revolution in The Three Body Problem. Does he not see the obvious parallels between what the Chinese government did then and what it's doing now, or does he just think it's OK when it's directed at religious/ethic minorities instead of intellectuals?

Lots of people think the US state department may be lying or exaggerating. Maybe he's one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Finally reading Tyrant and almost done. I loving love it. it's all so cool and neat especially the stuff with the command hierarchy and the trim and the sorcery. Excited to go back and read the spoiler posts.

Renascent prediction just stabbed bel where I'm at, shortly after hooking up with baru in a river

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kestral posted:

I'm listening to it on audio, and absolutely lost my poo poo at the pronunciation one.

"No one would pronounce my name that way," she said, as the narrator pronounced the name in precisely that way.

I was thinking about this as a read it. Did she really? JFC.

I wonder if this was influenced by the publisher wanting 'consistency'

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The Trader Baru Cormorant

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I've been reading a lot of bad books lately. Thread, recommend me your best or favorites in SF/F. I'm not going to list what I like because I wouldn't mind going outside my comfort zone or usual suggestions.

"new" authors I like the most include Hannu Rajenami, Joe Abercrombie, Ted Chiang, and KJ Parker.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I bought too many discworld books

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

Finished Soon I Will Be Invincible. The POV characters sucked, the superfights were stilted, and it failed the bechdel test with an intensity and ferocity usually reserved for successes. Some great ~brested boobily~ going on—if you're into that kind of thing.

Also wrapped up Wolfhound Century. Early Soviet magical realism via anti-fascist detective story? Pretty neat. Was punchy, with mostly believable characters and enough horrible things lurking around that I was still getting surprised near the end of the book. The rusalka in the flood was creepy and super cool. Biggest complaint is that it ended rather abruptly.

I quite enjoyed the audiobook of SIWBI, which had pretty entertaining voicework, but it's not very good writing as you say

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Let's say that Baru would be incredible at that game, which consists (based on reading about it and about 10 minutes of play before decided to go back to shooters) of a lot of looking at maps and analyzing areas and their local rulers and various relationships between them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They had already existed in the setting, so it was more like jurassic park style research. But I'm sure Jurassic Park exists as fiction in the setting and they should have known better.

I am gonna have to reread both books

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

Why not try blackout / allclear instead :getin:

Was that good? To say nothing of the dog was so great it made Doomsday book extra disappointing

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I have a cart from book outlet filled with a bunch of speculative fiction and looking for thoughts on the following before I click buy. Anything stand out as particularly high or low quality?

Summerland by Hannu Rajaniemi

Among Others by Jo Walton

I enjoyed both of these. Among Others is something of a modern fairy tale. Maybe it's magical realism? I'm not sure how to describe it but it's different.

I bought City in Middle of the Night after a good reviews.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

it was this, thanks. I remember enjoying reading it although it was a bit... repulsive at times?

Yeah it's pretty great I just finished it about a week ago. They are both awful and the creatures they encounter are incredibly grotesque and thoroughly described.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Opinions differ on this, but I actually think The Expanse books get worse as they go on. I quit maybe 4 or 5 books in because I felt like they abandoned some of the more genuinely interesting plot points and shifted focus to the least interesting aspects of the main characters. It might have gotten better after I quit but I haven't really heard anyone singing the praises of the later books in particular.

It really felt like he exhausted his best ideas in the first three in or so (been a while I'm fuzzy on when I stopped caring) but just had to keep putting out one a year.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That stupid spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Based on some goon recommending it for BotM I started Carrier Wave.

It's absolutely awesome and everyone should read it. But I feel like it should have a content warning for violence. Nothing sexual yet. I know we are quite used to violence in all our media, and a little surprised to find myself posting this, but this is one of the most brutal books I've ever read. (I haven't read the red wolf or whatever everyone talks about) I'm sure you'll all be fine.

In lighter reading, I'd like to recommend Sue Burke's Semiosis and Interference. They are about a new colony on an Earthlike planet. Not quite as comfy cozy as, say, Becky Chambers but it's very much towards that end of the spectrum.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 24, 2021