Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol why is his name redacted? People might want to connect with the author and discuss in depth :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What I remember most about Provenance is that I'm pretty sure I caught her accidentally misgendering characters two or three times :laugh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I remember a thread on the scifi subreddit where a woman was looking for a starting point to get in to science fiction and multiple people recommended Heinlein

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It appears that The Market has spoken so I'm going to have to add several paragraphs of exposition to my upcoming mil-scifi project explaining how thanks to the advent of positronic cock cages, men in the 27th century no longer have to be afraid of spermjacking in public restrooms

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Carrier posted:

I really enjoyed City of Stairs but bounced off the second one pretty hard, the changing of the main PoV really killed my interest which I know is something I really should have just given it more of a chance over but eh.

The second and third book aren't quite as compelling but the third one really leans in to the "Sigrud murders poo poo" concept :black101:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sebmojo posted:

There's nothing bizarrely sexual about children greasing themselves up and wrestling each other to death tyvm

Orson Scott Card is like the perfect evil genie/cursed monkey paw response to a request for books without sex scenes

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So what you’re saying is to mentally rewrite that passage to be about dongs flopping around in zero gravity?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Some men, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their shafts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless, loose under the uniform jumpsuit and idly half-erect; blood flowed easily in zero gravity. But when they started to move, and the inertia of their pipe drifted behind each turn like a lazy python dangling from a car window, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction after some young stallion thrust himself feet-first through the hatch into the control habin, loudly slapping his drifting hang against his spacer-perfect abs.

He had once mentioned this theory to Surgeon-Commander Laurence Ernst, without revealing who had inspired this particular vein of thought. There was no need; they knew each other much too well. On Earth, years ago, in a moment of mutual loneliness and depression, they had once made love. Probably they would never repeat the experience (but could one ever be quite sure of that?) because so much had changed for both of them. Yet whenever the well-endowed Surgeon slithered into the Commander's cabin, twitching with the routine Kegels required to preserve muscle in zero gravity, Norton felt a fleeting echo of an old passion, Laurence saw that he felt it, and everyone was happy.

:golfclap:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Genres are mostly marketing bullshit, Amazon's genres doubly so. It's sci-fi with queer characters in it; the shoe fit better than the rest of their lovely options.

lol I read that as "genders are mostly marketing bullshit"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc Scalzi has a multi-book contract that would definitely favor quantity over quality

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dzhay posted:

I'm a massive nerd. As such, I'm a great fan of Greg Egan.

Is there any other current author who could scratch the same itch?

I assume you've already read every Ted Chiang story?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So was John Norman an irl sex pest or did he just write volumes and volumes of shameful, cringey, problematic kink?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Urcher posted:

A Woman of the Iron People. A human exploration team arrive at an alien planet and discover aliens. They are too far from Earth to receive timely advice. Anthropology ensues. Recommended by Ursula K. LeGuin.

I read this based on a recommendation itt a couple of years ago and it’s real good. Also a good recommendation for the next time someone asks for a low-stakes/cozy book

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kestral posted:

When you say low-stakes, are we talking low stakes in the "it's not about a star exploding or saving the galaxy" kind of way, or low stakes in the To Be Taught if Fortunate / general Becky Chambers mode, where it's essentially about following people through their pretty okay lives and nothing really happens?

Definitely the former. The characters are having an adventure but it's still pretty clear that the planet isn't going to blow up and no one is going to be turned into a chair or have their dick ripped off by an alien crab

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

withak posted:

What book does someone's dick get ripped off by an alien crab?

I was thinking of one of the latter Asher Polity books but that's one giant alien crab stealing another one's dick

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Post honest reviews to Amazon, once the book hits 50 reviews the algorithm starts treating it like a real boy. Also thank you!

I'm surprised someone hasn't written a sci-fi dystopia where society is ruled by an extremely blatant reimplementation of amazon's book sorting algorithm

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

One of the single most important life skills I learned as an adult is that you don't have to finish books once you've started them.

imagining spending my afternoon explaining the concept of psychic rape vikings in heat to the amazon support assistant while I request a refund

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I would really like to volunteer for Standard Books but their process basically requires you to run Linux.

windows subsystem for linux is relatively painless to get up and running, but yeah, their guide pretty clearly presumes you have unix command line experience

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hyperbolic titles and blatantly obvious omissions are intentional, to drive hate-clicks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I find it heartening that any community on racist misogynist hellsite reddit dot com would put Jemisin at #2

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kchama posted:

Baen's Bar, the forum for the Baen publishing house, has gone 'on hiatus' after an expose about how there was a lot of talk of doing political violences.

https://www.baen.com/bb021621

http://file770.com/wp-content/uploads/Weisskopf-baens-bar-hiatus.jpg

Apparently it was too hard to moderate it (by not moderating it at all, apparently) so they're just closing the forum instead.

From that article that was posted a couple of days ago, it sounds like the main draw of the forum was that JOHN RINGO :swoon: and the like would post there, and if you ban nazis then oops, you've banned most of the authors who cared to participate

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Yeah granted The Neopets story feels more like a narrative parody of a Derrida essay than a plot in its own right. I still found it interesting (but the implications!?!?^1000), but I probably wouldn't insist someone else read it.

I took it as a (depressing) look at what would probably actually happen if true AI were invented today

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't really get the horror angle because ikea is like a fuckin magical fairlyland adventure compared to wandering around a run-down walmart, hoping to find what you need at the back of a bare shelf or piled on the floor

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It’s titled “Leaving isn’t the hardest thing” yet she’s still posting

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fritz posted:

Garbage World (1967)

A chilling dystopian novel set in a fictitious 1990's where old men use a global computer network to do racism

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

impossible to distinguish rothfuss from rothfuss fan from generic insufferable twee doofus

e: I got The Unspoken Name when it was free and liked it well enough to be interested in the sequel

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kestral posted:

Declare is a masterpiece and has a good audiobook, I'd second that recommendation.

The Luminous Dead is a thread favorite that just made me angry by the end. It trades its premise of "the claustrophobic horror of deep cave exploration plus otherworldly horrors" for a romance between two codependent broken people, one of whom is a nightmarishly manipulative abuser. This is a shame, because deep caving is about as close to a supernatural horror story as you can get IRL, and it's a shame to see that potential left on the table by making the book Not About That.

perhaps the real horror was the abusive relationships we had along the way

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

breadnsucc posted:

its not like the galactic federation portrayed in the prequels in star wars represented any real form of democracy of the people so far as I could see it was a bunch of loving rich fucks on metropolitan worlds coming together to poo poo on working people out in the boonies and the state of all the colonies that are visited in the star wars universe at various times kind of shows how lovely it was either way imo

star wars has one rich metropolitan core planet and everywhere else is just a level from a platform game. The metropole is also a platform game if you jump out of your hovercar for funsies

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

they should make an animated Culture show

*monkey paw curls*

Starring, produced by, and funded by: ELON MUSK!!!!!!

Jolier Veppers is the role he was born to play

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that's dragonball z, if you can get past the complex and layered symbolism

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kchama posted:

The first four books were some of my least favorite books ever.

new thread title?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

The problem with Cultist Simulator is that it’s made by Alexis Kennedy, notorious sexual harasser who preyed on the women in junior positions in his company.

sounds like he knows a thing or two about running a cult, though perhaps not anything that would translate into a game I'd want to play

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

well Graydon, your alt accounts have paid off again. time to figure out how to send this poo poo to my kindle

Calibre makes it pretty easy to convert to .mobi and sideload onto a kindle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Quorum posted:

I, billionaire Mr. Edward Chili, will solve global warming by producing so many of our world famous sizzling Chili's Fajitas® that the steam will form a protective cloud barrier against solar radiation!

shut up, the review embargo hasn't been lifted yet, they're gonna send jeffrey a takedown notice

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tildes posted:

Sealion? Is this a code word for something?

you've certainly encountered this fucker online:

https://twitter.com/wondermarkfeed/status/512873762723602433

e: by which I mean the mindset in the comic, not the comic itself

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 6, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

making a "best american" sci-fi anthology seems like a silly way to snub a bunch of british writers for no real reason :patriot:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

please keep this thread limited to discussion of serious published authors, the difference in quality is quite dramatic

Copernic posted:

well the new neal stephenson is out

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Copernic posted:

T.R. ain't the perfect man to grab it, but I don't think his whole plan is just to gently caress up the Punjab and starve India.

I'm guessing that T.R. is not an englishman

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

High frequency yiffing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there anyone who is currently writing epic or mythic grim fantasy a la the Elric books? I can't quite think of the way to articulate what I'm looking for other than Elric or "the kind of fantasy that metal bands write songs about." Something that's big and grandiose and sort of world-ending dire in its plotlines, but less of a direct descendant of Tolkien or doorstopper 90s fantasy like Jordan.

And a vaguely similar but (I think?) distinct request, who are the must-reads of early pulp fantasy? The weirder, the better, ideally. I've read a fair amount of Conan, and I've read the Dying Earth books but no other Jack Vance, but not much else from that style.

Definitely try the Book of the New Sun if you haven't already

Malazan is extremely :black101: but it is also a loving doorstop