Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked the first two books but was left kind of cold on the third. Especially the ending which just feels super rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading Oathbringer, the third Stormlight book, and having an odd experience. I like the component parts but as a whole it is kind of annoying. Mainly because it seems like Sanderson can't sit down and just tell a story. Instead he has to constantly skip around to various viewpoints.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Amazon AI just sent me a $5 gift certificate to buy Heretics of Dune that expires in 7 days because it noticed I stopped reading the series at God Emperor.

Nice try but I'm not falling for it!!!

There must be something going on because I just received a similar thing yesterday giving me $5 off the fourth book in the Red Rising series because I stopped at book three.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished reading Steel Frame yesterday and on the whole I really liked it. Although I did feel like the ending was a little rushed and abrupt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least it actually had an ending. I was getting worried that it would cut off without a resolution.

Also started reading Blake Crouch's Recursion and I'm digging it. It is a lot like Dark Matter where the story starts at a slow burn but by halfway it has started hurtling down the tracks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the book deals with people who are all of a sudden flooded with memories of false lives, yeah, there's a lot of mind fuckery.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pradmer posted:

New kindle deals today.

Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RQP41O/
This is the same author who did the Last Policeman series. No idea if this is as good.

I liked it but it is a huge downer (not a surprise seeing as the premise is that the Civil War ended before it began and slavery has survived to modern day.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I finished Recursion and man, that stays strong all the way through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm reading Cry Pilot and while I'm mostly enjoying it I am kind of getting tired of reading sci-fi where the main character spends a good chunk of the book going through basic training.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

lol I'm reading Cry Pilot as well and had the same reaction. Thank you any mil scifi author who does training off page.

Its just so weird because the CAV stuff is actually kind of interesting but it instead gets completely sidelined after a very short intro and instead the book turns into a paint by numbers boot camp story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked The Luminous Dead but I do agree that the ending was a little meh. It kind of feels like it just wraps stuff up a little too neatly. Other than that I enjoyed the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also the PKD story Mr Spaceship.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Take care, General B. Hope things look up soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Six Wakes looks interesting, has anyone read that one?

I thought the initial premise was great but wasn't a huge fan of how it all wraps up.

In other news, Yoon Ha Lee has a new book coming out! Phoenix Extravagant which is set in a fantasy version of Korea during the Japanese occupation.

quote:

Gyen Jebi isn’t a fighter or a subversive. Just an artist. One day they’re jobless and desperate; the next, Jebi finds themself recruited by the Ministry of Armor to paint the mystical sigils that animate the occupying government’s automaton soldiers. But when Jebi discovers the depths of the Razanei government’s horrifying crimes—and the awful source of the magical pigments they use—they find they can no longer stay out of politics. What they can do is steal Arazi, the ministry’s mighty dragon automaton, and find a way to fight.

Out in June in the US and UK. I'm a big fan of Lee and loved the whole Machineries of Empire series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tommu posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for zombie/post apocalyptic?

I like the book Positive by David Wellington. It takes place years after a zombie virus outbreak with the main character having to make a trip across the ruins of America in order to go live in a special camp for those who are potentially infected by the virus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yoon Ha Lee's (Machineries of Empire) new novel is finally out. Phoenix Extravagant is set in a fantasy version of Korea shortly after an invasion from (what I assume to be) fantasy Japan. The main character is a young nonbinary person who doesn't really care about the whole "conquered country" thing as long as they can continue to paint. Unfortunately for them it turns out their conquerors need artists to make their magic war robots work.

I'm not very far in but I like what I've read so far (not exactly a surprise when it comes to Lee though.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drone Jett posted:

Steel Frame

Yes, Steel Frame is a good novel about mechs/mech pilots. Andrew Skinner is great at writing exciting cinematic action scenes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dreamless posted:

I read Cry Pilot at the qualified recommendation of some folks here and it's got mechs and some neat quirks to its setting, but most of the novel is spent in a pretty generic sf bootcamp, outside of mechs; the mechs don't show up again until close to the end. There are sequels, and I hope they finally get in the robots, but I haven't kept up.

Yeah, I gave up on Cry Pilot when it became clear that it would never/take forever to get back to the actually interesting part and that the majority of the book was just going to be a bland milsf boot camp. I don't know why so many milsf authors are obsessed with boot camp stories when they almost all play out exactly the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished the new Yoon Ha Lee. Overall I really liked it. Was interesting to have a novel where the main character just straight up wants nothing to do with a war. It ends with a sequel hook but I'm assuming this will play out like Lee's previous series where the viewpoint character will be a different person in the next one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kestral posted:

Light Brigade has the best milsf boot camp segment because it is also every other part of the war, simultaneously.

It also distinguishes itself by having a female lead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pradmer posted:

On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LLII12/

This was technically adapted into the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie but they only took the most basic part of the premise (Blackbeard is after the Fountain of Youth) and none of the interesting stuff, like explaining how there used to be magic in the past but wouldn't be in the present/future.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pradmer posted:

The Last Policeman series by Ben H Winters - $1.99 each
The Last Policeman - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076Q1GW2/
Countdown City - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6OV90E/
World of Trouble - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXYHVNU/

These are good but definitely kind of a downer. The setting is a world where it has been discovered that an asteroid is going to hit Earth with the first book taking place sometime after the discovery but still a ways off from the asteroid hitting. So society is still somewhat functioning but things are starting to fall apart. With subsequent books moving closer and closer to the impact date.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DurianGray posted:

I think the Broken Earth trilogy (The Fifth Season, etc.) by Jemisin kind of falls under this, at least in the later parts, but it's not part of the plot at the beginning (from what I remember at least - it's been a while since I read them).

The first book has some talk about the deadcivs that left stuff around and there's some mystery but like Tonkee is the only character who cares. Then the second and third book actually delve into what happened before since it becomes relevant to Essun's current situation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

What if recliners, but too much? That's how you make a sci fi plot.

That's pretty much what happened to humanity in WALL-E.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That series definitely got weird. The main antagonist turns himself into a genetically altered superman and there's an implication of something mystical between him and a minor recurring character. I read most of it but stopped when the remaining cast fled the Earth.

Like ten or so years ago the author ended up putting out a couple of prequel novels to explain how the world came to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

quantumfoam posted:

I have no idea what "isekai" is.

Isekai is the Japanese name for the genre where a normal person is transported to another world. The term became popularized in English SF/F discussion because it so easily describes a common type of story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

I read the first two and for some reason I never had the urge to read the third.

Big same. Although for me the reason I didn't read the third was because I was not a fan of the big plot moment that happens at the end of the second book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PawParole posted:

Speaking of Isekai and portals, has anyone read a good book about travel between parallel worlds recently? I just finished Robert Charles Wilson’s Last Year, and while I didn’t particularly care for the time period it was set in, the idea of a post-global warming future America interacting with one in the 1800’s was pretty interesting.

While I wasn't super thrilled with how it ended I mostly enjoyed the Long Earth series by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett. It takes place in the near future where one day a device schematic appears on the internet that can be constructed out of basic household items. When completed the device lets you travel, one step at a time, to alternate universes. The twist is that as far as they can tell there are no humans on any alternate Earths. The first book (The Long Earth) follows a young man who is hired to be a guide by an AI who wants to see how far they can go into the depths of the alternate realities.

The series as a whole goes into the ideas of how society would change with what are basically unlimited resources and room to expand without every actually having to leave Earth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1345008789527941121
Martha Wells talking about pirated versions of her books being for sale on Amazon kindle store.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly Pratchett came up with the planet of big trees from the final book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised their publishers didn't step in and nip that in the bud before it got that far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

freebooter posted:

This is an easy-read airport mystery (you know the kind of writing style I mean) but is a super fun, engaging and creative sci-fi thriller that I highly recommend going into without knowing anything about it.

Also if anyone likes this (Dark Matter) I would recommend his latest novel, Recursion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want more Asian themed fantasy there's Phoenix Extravagant by Yoon Ha Lee. It is set in a fantasy version of Korea that has been conquered by fantasy Japan. The main character is a young non-binary artist who gets dragged into the war effort because the not-Japanese use magical paint to control their robots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Rothfuss strikes as the kind of guy who enjoys being a Writer more than he does actually writing. I keep seeing him on YouTube and at cons (back when cons were still a thing) and the like, but very rarely doing anything besides being a nominally famous writer.

For all that, I actually enjoyed The Name of the Wind as setup for presumably a greater story yet to come, but then Wise Man's Fear came out and it....wasn't. And now it's been so long that even if the fabled third book ever does come out, I don't think I'll care. I've moved on. :shrug:

Yeah, a lot of the shine came off Rothfuss when he finally released a second book and there was almost no forward motion to the story and it was pretty clear that no, he did not have everything all done beforehand.

Also the Baru fanart being posted made me realize that apparently I had interpreted a description differently than everybody else. Namely Baru's "half mask" which I imagined being like a half mask horizontally, not vertically.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ccs posted:

I read The Way of Kings years ago and enjoyed it. But after I read the second book I kind of figured the whole arc was going to be Mistborn writ large, and I didn’t feel inspired to pick up the third. People say the fourth really drags, and since I’ve forgotten everything that’s going on with the characters I don’t think I could pick up the series again.

My favourite Sanderson is his novella The Emperors Soul.

I think the series definitely suffers from having a bunch of lead/POV characters when it would have been better if it just focused on someone like Kaladin. The series would also have a lot of problems solved if characters would just sit down and talk to each other instead of everyone running around hiding things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McCoy Pauley posted:

Looks like there's no Kindle version of Vampire$, though, which is a bummer. I'm not even sure where my paperback copy of that is, but I recall that being fun, and better than I had expected it would be going into it.

I remember being really disappointed in the movie which removed all the interesting stuff about the book and replaced it with just a fairly rote vampire movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started reading Armor and I liked the opening section with Felix but once it switched to Jack Crow the story just started to drag. The way everyone just fawns on Crow whenever he introduces himself plus every time he gets into a fight he just effortlessly beats up whoever got a little old real quick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bagrada posted:

It's not too late to turn the series into a 13 book fantasy epic.

And just stop writing it about book 5 but constantly say you're about to finish it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's definitely a point where the story starts to pick up. Its been a while but I believe after the main characters leave the city is when stuff really starts to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ccs posted:

Never really pictures Baru that ridiculously buff, I mean she's an accountant, but whatevs haha.

She's not buff but she is described as being in good shape because she exercises a lot in the first book.