Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Really enjoying Gideon the ninth. It was a slow starter with the crap on the home planet tho.

It’s really odd/interesting reading a book using contemporary “extremely online” English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Uncanny Collateral by Brian McClellan (powder mage guy, protege of Brandon Sanderson) is currently free on the kindle store. It's a fun read and the kickstarter for the sequel is closing in another day.

mewse
May 2, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone have suggestions of books similar to The Lies of Locke Lamora? I'm not sure what about it, maybe it's just the heist aspect because I also liked the Great Train Robbery.

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is a neat fantasy heist novel. It kicks off a big series that aren't heist-like at all, though

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished Gideon the Ninth. Great book.

One thing that I really enjoyed early in the novel was that the fight scenes were short and brutal as you'd expect fights with live weapons to be. Was a little disappointed it escalated into "fight to end all fights" by the end, but I guess that's the nature of dramatic tension.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

My Gideon “issue.”
They made it clear that the Lyctor process trapped the cavalier’s soul in the necromancer. Naberius fought Ianthe as she tried to use his skill to fight Gideon.
When Harrow “eats” Gideon, Gideon’s there for a while but fades? Didn’t really see a clear reason why.
Hope it’s addressed in the next.

Huge spoilers don’t read this

My understanding was that they integrated. Gideon is there briefly, making quips, but they become one soul. Gideon is dead after all

mewse
May 2, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ah. I suppose it just didn't come across as "integration" so much as "dissipating/fading." As in, she gone, she gets no afterlife even when Harrow dies eventually. I hope it's at least addressed slightly in the next one. (Also I hate when they kill my favorite character in whatever story I'm consuming. :grump:)

She's still there, like the novel makes a big point that the necro instantly learns swordplay in the manner of their cavalier, it's just that they aren't separate people anymore. I suspect Harrow is going to have Gideon-esque moments in the next book

mewse
May 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

[sets down book of the new sun] what the hell... the main character is a torturer? i cant read this lovely backwards book, theres no hero

This is literally what critics were saying about Joker recently

mewse
May 2, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

I recently read Prince of Thorns, which I enjoyed but it didn't really blow me away (I'm a big fan of the post-post-apocalypse fantasy idea). Now I'm on to King of Thorns, and maybe a little shy of a quarter of the way through, and it feels very slow and aimless. I'm kind of lost as to what the bigger picture is in this book, it kind of feels like Jorg just loving around and pointedly not letting the reader know why. Does the pace pick up at all, or start going in a different direction? I'm getting kind of bored with it but would soldier through if it's worth it.

The weird thing about Jorg is the author goes hard on the antihero thing in the first book and then can’t really sustain it and Jorg ends up as sort of a generic tortured protagonist.

The other two books are worth reading tho, I enjoyed them. The Jorg plotting stuff generally pays off

mewse
May 2, 2006

ulmont posted:

Generic tortured protagonist was a significant improvement over book one grimdark antihero, though, so I enjoyed the other two books more than the first (and the following Red Queen's War series, first book Prince of Fools, with a different protagonist even more than those).

Well I sort of enjoyed the thought experiment of what a talented leader would do as a complete sociopath but yeah the other two books felt better with a more conventional plot

mewse
May 2, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

I've never read the Broken Earth series so all the snippiness/looming meltdowns about WarCriming and MasterRaces in it has me confused/not over-inclined to read it.

The bullshit surrounding the trilogy is incredibly unfortunate since if you just read the books without the surrounding political debate they're good novels.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NK Jemison was streaming some video game on twitch last night, it was kinda fun. Only 40 viewers lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

I recommended Gideon the Ninth to someone and they recommended the Abhorsen series by Garth Nix back. I read all of them and they were great. Is there other necromancer canon I should be reading?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doctor Faustine posted:

If your sense of humor leans towards “British” and “gallows” and you don’t mind fuzzy settings and wild genre switches between books, Jonathan L. Howard’s Johannes Cabal books loving whip. They’re funny as poo poo but also have parts that are really moving and the characters are great.

Possibly. I love dry brit humour but I don't enjoy the wit of Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams - don't know why. I'll check this one out, thanks for the recommendation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I don't understand any of this but it makes "fandom" seem like a real no fun zone

well I made the mistake of going to Archive of Our Own and choosing a random story got me erotica about 11 year old girls from "Dance Moms" gonna nope outta there

WTF Dance Moms 4: Sarah Divorces Howard is some of my best work

mewse
May 2, 2006

It seems Brian McLellan's new epic fantasy series will be with Tor rather than Orbit (who published all his powder mage books)

mewse
May 2, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

That is sad.
Tolkien Society: Please keep Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson away from the Tolkien papers.

I don't even understand how those two are so completely dogshit at writing

mewse
May 2, 2006

I accidentally read a romance novel via Tor's "free ebook a month" thing. It was Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. For some reason it was 1800 pages.

The first half of the book was in ancient greece/atlantis and was kinda OK but the entire thing was just the title character being tortured over and over again.

The second half of the book was in the present day, eleven thousand years later(???), where the title character falls in love with a mortal woman who is completely unlike anyone else who's ever lived - she's nice to him.

The most notable part about the second half was how it exposed how the author has bad taste about everything in the real world. She describes these punk rock clothes that Acheron wears and they sound so dumb like something a teenager would wear, he seduces the mortal woman by singing her a Nickleback song, he rides a fuckin busa, bro

e: hahaha if I had been paying attention they offered a 2nd one of her books that I'd never read

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 18, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

What's my next Sanderson if the first I've read is Elantris?

IMO read the emperor's soul (standalone novella) then dive into mistborn

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

Age of Myth by Michael J Sullivan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BCX0S0/

Can anyone give an opinion on this one? I've heard some good things about his self-published Riyria books, but I don't know anything about this series.

I never read riyria so I'll disagree with the poster above - you can read the new books without knowing the older ones.

HOWEVER, I strongly agree on the "smart character invents the wheel" is hackish.

I've enjoyed the books and I chipped in for the last kickstarter. Kinda nice supporting an indie(ish?) author. I think he replies to all emails.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I really liked greatcoats :ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gideon was pretty special. Is there any word when Harrow will be released?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I really enjoyed the Powder Mage Trilogy. Weird, fun, magical gun fantasy with cool rear end bullet bending.

:same:

mewse
May 2, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

There was a sequel trilogy, wasn't there? Anyone know if that was any good? Did it involve the same characters?

I enjoyed it as well.

The primary characters are a bit different. Instead of Tamas / Taniel / Adamat it's Michel Bravis, Ben Styke, and Vlora Flint. Same world, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been reading Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly because Brandon Sanderson said it was one of his formative reading experiences, and it is really good.

I read on Goodreads that I should ignore the sequels, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

Supposedly Redshirts by John Scalzi is the Tor free ebook, but the page is currently down.
https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Came here to ask if this is good, haven't read anything by Scalzi

mewse
May 2, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It only makes sense if you're a Star Trek nerd and think you'd like a book that is basically an excuse to mock it.

Then it goes all Last Action Hero by having the characters break the 4th wall and journey to the real world to ask the show writers to be better writers, because those senseless deaths suck.

Agent to the Stars is my favorite Scalzi book, but the Old Man's War series was fun, too.

Yeesh. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the replies everyone

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tor fixed the redshirts download around mid-day

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V34YJE0/

Just read this and really liked it, it's the first of a trilogy. Stupid tagline is "Game of thrones in space" because there's 5 industrial families on the moon competing with each other

quote:

The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2D7VCA/

Have been reading his legends of the first empire series, I should check this out

mewse
May 2, 2006

:rip:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I ended the month with Recursion by Blake Crouch (oh, dear reader, I lie, but if I said I read Recursion in between MrDrBt #3 and #4, as I did, it would make for a poorer narrative). I picked it up on a whim after it got posted as a kindle deal, and I'm always so very happy when a purchase like that turns out good.

I'm a sucker for time travel, as I've mentioned before (though there's woefully little queer romance in Recursion, as compared to Time War), and Recursion is such an interesting take on the whole thing, enough that I'd like to plant a seed of doubt in the reader's mind and say outright that it's not necessarily even a time travel story in the eyes of some (though it is, though is it?). Recursion takes joy in exploring the toll of time on relationships, on the psyche and on the world. It's a moving, thrilling study in patience , loss and sorrow, and in the action of watching things unfold while being powerless to stop them. It's one of those books I cannot write too much about for fear of spoiling the details that makes it such a compelling tale. It feels like a very personal story, while being unimaginably big in scope, and I loved every minute of it.

The best I can do is recommend it, as I do.

Good poo poo.

I read Dark Matter by this guy and was not a fan. I ended up summarizing the plot to my family while laughing so hard I got tears in my eyes, it was so silly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

pradmer posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastards #1) by Scott Lynch - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JMKNJ2/

get this

quote:

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180T0IUY/

don't get this

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been using goodreads exclusively to track which/how many books per year, which is like extremely low effort journaling

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everyone in this thread is visiting my house in canada virtually so it's totally legal to say they're downloading from canada

mewse
May 2, 2006

space marine todd posted:

What Gibson book to read after Agency? I loved Peripheral and I am enjoying the poo poo out of Agency, but quickly running out of pages and trying to figure out what to read next of his. My friends keep recommending Pattern Recognition, but I also somehow haven't read Neuromancer yet...

You should read neuromancer eventually but the trilogy beginning with pattern recognition might be is the most solid recommendation if you're enjoying peripheral/agency

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 25, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

But maybe the U.S. just does better at educating us on other countries' measurement systems.

:lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton

I never thought Hamilton was a sex creep but uhh 50% in:

Three instances of forced sex, a 18-125 year old sexual relationship, 16 year olds described by how hot they are. Oh and MC fucks at least once a chapter, always another woman and half of them he treats like poo poo.

I'm reading this right now as well and it is very rapey

e: on the 2nd book rn

mewse
May 2, 2006

Are you reading it because of Sonnie's Edge as well? Because that felt empowering whereas these books feel like white male power fantasy

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

Sorry for continuing the derails. For content, I finally gave up on Reality Dysfunction. I got to a scene where three hot chicks were all hanging off the main character's dick and realized I don't like reading anything Peter F. Hamilton has to say about women, ever again.

I'm 2/3rds through the second book right now and I think you made the right call. It's just a slog right now and if the whole thing ends with "oh, god did it" he can gently caress right off. Might read some of his short stories after this but at least now I know why he's not a more recognizable name.

This was my goodreads review of Reality Dysfunction a couple weeks ago:

quote:

Sort of a strange novel. Very long. The first maybe third of the novel I thought I was reading hard(ish) sci-fi because everything in space was being described in kilometers. The story gets a little bit silly and there is a lot of magic involved. I'll be reading the sequels but I'm not sure how strongly I'd recommend it. It is very white male fantasy.

I picked this up because the author wrote Sonnie's Edge for the Netflix series love/death/robots. I am glad I did, but they don't really scratch the same itch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

The Codebreakers: The Story of Secret Writing

I read it like 20 years ago now but The Code Book by Simon Singh was the most readable book about codes and cyphers I've ever come across. It discusses the history of how simple cyphers were used in medieval Europe and stuff, up to the modern day. Highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baru's Happy Ending :sun: