Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

dsriggs posted:

AEW did 0.68 in the 18-49 demo, compared with WWE Raw which did 0.93, 0.91 & 0.84 in that demo over its 3 hours (the WWE splits RAW up into 3 different programs for ratings purposes).

Of course, Monday night is different than Wednesday night, so take these numbers with a grain of salt.

Is that the Raw show this week with Brock, Flair and Hogan?

If anything TNT must be the most happy, they got a show pulling 75% of the Raw key demo numbers for like a fraction of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Whatever here is one that just went up. Let it ride.

It's like there is an army of weird internet people who are ready to defend the honor of a plucky lil' billion dollar company that they love. And this particular army of internet people, are cool

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Be interesting to see if AEW stays hot if all WWE ratings start to dip as people decide they dont need to get their wrestling fix from them anymore.

probably not. WWF was a late player in wrestling television and whatever economics affected the business as a whole got to them as well. I'd imagine the same type of historical trends would affect AEW as well.

Basically, pay attention if the US and UK are going to go cheek and jowl together into oblivion. That's gonna mess everything up.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://old.reddit.com/user/RachIreneLopes

they've been at this all day long in multiple threads

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yeah it was funny to read people standing up for Disney against sony

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Before arguing about aew all day that person on reddit was trying to go to the dentist online for severe pain.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Christopher Daniels posted:

26 years in the business, I was fortunate enough to be a part of Ring Of Honor when it started, I was fortunate enough to be a part of TNA when it started, now Im at the ground floor of something that has 100 times more excitement behind it than either of those companies did at that time. And Im proud to be a part of it.

:unsmith:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
wwe superfans are the weirdest loving people

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I am stoked they beat NXT because, I really enjoy LOLing at Vince. But, ultimately it doesn't matter - what matters is that they take in enough viewers to keep the enterprise going. Someone in the thread said 1m means a profitable production so that's the number that matters to me.

1 million is when they start making a lot of money but it's not the break even number. (And obviously that's a million sustained over a period of time.)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Man, that is a phenomenal success and I am so conditioned to not believe in good things that my instinctual reaction is "oh god, how much lower will next week's be"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

wwe superfans are the weirdest loving people

My favorite ones are the people who respond to out-of-character tweets/articles/interviews with kayfabe stuff like some wrestler will be like "I am sorry I need to take time away to deal with the death of my entire family is a freak dick sucking factory accident" and somebody with a Eric Rowan avatar will reply that they are actually just afraid that the Undertaker will chokeslam them to hell at Fastlane

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man imagine what the ratings would have been if Wardlow was there, gently caress

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Man, that is a phenomenal success and I am so conditioned to not believe in good things that my instinctual reaction is "oh god, how much lower will next week's be"

Mine is, "what kind of bullshit is Vince going to pull to try to undermine AEW going forward?"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

dsriggs posted:

Compared to last week:

NXT lost only 115,000 viewers over last week, which means most of AEW's viewers are new.

What do these numbers in the P columns mean? There are other shows that have a larger number than AEW in the final column, yet they're further down the list. How the hell do ratings work?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

Mine is, "what kind of bullshit is Vince going to pull to try to undermine AEW going forward?"

Well, what can he do, really? He's up against somebody who's even richer and more influential than him, so the usual tricks won't work.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ganso Bomb posted:

What do these numbers in the P columns mean? There are other shows that have a larger number than AEW in the final column, yet they're further down the list. How the hell do ratings work?

I was confused too but I think it's sorted by the total in the 18-49 demo. So the first column

All the olds are propping up the cable news numbers, to my complete surprise

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Raffles posted:

they haven't even had moxley wrestle on the show yet

That's one of the most encouraging things to me. They put on a very entertaining and engaging show, but they left a lot of bullets in the chamber. Guys like the Lucha Bros and Moxley got some burn without being in matches. The Tag Title tournament will be a foundational focus of the show over the next month or so, but no one in it wrestled outside of the Bucks. Right out of the gate, there seems to be a genuine effort to make sure they keep things fresh.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://old.reddit.com/user/RachIreneLopes

they've been at this all day long in multiple threads

i like that it's all WWE Stanning and then the last thing is a post about inflamed gums

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

A war has been declared, friends. This is the best time to be a wrestling fan in twenty years. Enjoy the ride.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

The last column is the total number of viewers, but all the other columns are the percentage of a certain demographic that watched. And as already mentioned, it seems to be sorted by People 18-49.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I kind of had it in my head that they'd do way worse in "the demo" and way better in 50+ (even considering their product), but I guess those guys who turned off the TV after WCW died 18 years ago have been doing fine without wrestling

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The ratings confirm what I've been thinking for awhile which is the cross over between audiences is way lower than what people were thinking

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ganso Bomb posted:

M is male
F is female
P is people overall

18-49 overall is the demo most advertisers care about so thats what its sorted by. The final column is overall number of viewers. The cable news shows draw a lot of eyes but theyre all 50+ so they dont draw the same advertisers.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fat Lowtax posted:

I kind of had it in my head that they'd do way worse in "the demo" and way better in 50+ (even considering their product), but I guess those guys who turned off the TV after WCW died 18 years ago have been doing fine without wrestling

I mean, WCW only died 20 years ago. If you were a teenager then, you'd still be in demo.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

M is male
F is female
P is people overall

18-49 overall is the demo most advertisers care about so thats what its sorted by. The final column is overall number of viewers. The cable news shows draw a lot of eyes but theyre all 50+ so they dont draw the same advertisers.

I wonder what the demo on ROH looks like considering all their advertising is for medicare advantage plans and reverse mortgages.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

They are tearing down American Legion Post today :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One more number to look for is the viewership for the replay after Saturday's NBA game. Could help grow viewership in week 2 if they pick up a new audience.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

One more number to look for is the viewership for the replay after Saturday's NBA game. Could help grow viewership in week 2 if they pick up a new audience.

Cant hurt but thats just preseason, fwiw

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Hellblazer187 posted:

I mean, WCW only died 20 years ago. If you were a teenager then, you'd still be in demo.

I was a child. Im hella in the demo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Just saw an ad during the MLB playoff game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Minidust posted:

Riho's cool but I kinda don't get her look, is it a Japanese cultural thing? The whole frilly dress deal, it's like the way a boomer would dress their eight year old child. Though I guess that worked for John Cena.

So when do TV ratings from Wednesday night come out??

Let me tell you about a little genre called mahou shoujo.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Cant hurt but thats just preseason, fwiw

yeah, i doubt lebron, davis and curry are gonna get that much playing time

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MJeff posted:

Let me tell you about a little genre called mahou shoujo.

...go on...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Wow Riho is a big draw

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I wonder what Riho is like backstage because she is this bubbly uber face joshi girl but also a ten year veteran who has been doing this since she was nine.

Like I want to imagine as soon as she gets backstage she starts chain smoking cigarettes and is like "Now if you fuckers excuse me, I am gonna find someone to chew my rug"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DeepDickPizza posted:

Just wrapped watching. There are seriously so many things to like about the presentation alone. The Holi color splash motif works so, so, so, so well for them. Hearing JR and Schiavone in the booth is just like a warm blanket, and the three man booth with Excalibur plays well without any of the stupid bickering that plagues WWE. Everybody top to bottom radiates enthusiasm for the new venture and it comes through. It's a little thing, but it's great that they show what matches will be happening and on what show in the Tag Tournament graphic. I love how they mention that if they had to go to break during the match that it would be PiP. The promos don't feel overly scripted, which is obviously a HUGE departure from WWE. A very nice mix of match styles showing off what the company has to offer. The post main clusterfuck was great and seeing what appear to be real stables is a delight. Swags could be really good in a new environment.

Same. I was shocked at how much I like hearing JR and Tony Schiavone again. Big Tony hasn't been this excited about wrassling since freakin 97. Jericho is 100% GOAT and I'm so glad he's the first televised champ. Glad they are holding Mox off a bit but man... I want to see him DESTROY! Freakin great opener and I haven't been this excited in ages. Kinda nice as I was hoping for all of this back when Cody was funding All In and ... here we are.

heel turn posted:

PWInsider posted:
WWE sent us the following:

Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night's head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint.

DLC Inc posted:

lol again that Mox is getting insurance through WWE

heel turn posted:

PWInsider posted:
WWE sent us the following:

Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night's head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint.

Freakin great time to be a wrestling fan. Great first show and the bonus of WWE ineptly flailing about is always funny. I'm thinking Vince freaks out after AEW pummels NxT again next week. Week after he'll increase the show to three hours with nothing but Shane, Baron Corbin, Lacey and cucking... constant cucking. When people aren't actually doing cucking they will be talking about cucking.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1179880834192461826

:corsair:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

jesus WEP posted:

Man imagine what the ratings would have been if Wardlow Orange Cassidy was there, gently caress

The numbers were good, but they left their biggest non-MJF star off the show. I'm guessing the ratings will double next week when Orange Cassidy makes his television debut.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wow, primarily an audience of old dudes

They really go belong in the Fox family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao wwe is screwed if AEW lasts 3-5 years