Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
What's Pac's win record compared to Darby's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think Darby is like 1-1-1 which makes him being in a no.1 contender match odd. Thought Pac was 2-0 so he'd make more sense but who knows. Idk if any websites are tallying W/L records right now

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
PACs AEWtron needs an update from 2 mean and 1 incredibly silly images to something cooler.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1181260026272456705

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Cody please take it to the spoiler thread

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Great Darby is going to be left out of the CFP again

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

J Ru please probate Cody

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like the wins and losses will bite them in the rear end in like a years time. I get the idea but the obsessive tracking will be a problem.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they could easily remedy the W/L stuff by routinely holding tournaments not unlike the tag team one. Would give chances to lower-end people in the Wins column to eek out those wins in a bracket.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I feel like the wins and losses will bite them in the rear end in like a years time. I get the idea but the obsessive tracking will be a problem.

Oh God, they're opening a Pandora's Box for the return of Green Lantern Fan...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gumball Gumption posted:

Like in sports, there will probably be actual seasons or older records getting dropped off after a time. There are resets available.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gonna be some Comic Book Guy our there putting together an AEW BCS ranking and driving himself insane thanks to that win quality remark.

Edit: I think they’ve also talked about stuff like using Last X matches as a way to get them out of “But I thought wins and losses matter!” jail.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe this is dumb but what if they had like...seasonal win/loss records, so it wouldn’t have to get so complicated. You would still have their overall record if some heel wanted to make a big deal about it, but perhaps after their big end of the year show win/loss records are wiped clean??

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

No the nerd fans' obsessive tracking will be the problem. The College Football Playoff is a great example - they can spin the wins/losses thing however they want to and it'll be fine.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

They never said "title shots are 100% determined by W/L record" they said wins and losses matter.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
How big of a problem can it really be?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

reignofevil posted:

How big of a problem can it really be?

CobiWann posted:

Oh God, they're opening a Pandora's Box for the return of Green Lantern Fan...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

It already looks dumb because Cody just moved the goalposts from "win and losses matter" to "wins and losses matter, but also the quality"

It's dumb, just don't bother with the wins/losses matter poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

they matter except for rumlow who is like 5-0 right now. I swear I saw waldo take out like 5 guys in that video package

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Darby is undefeated in singles competition

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

bradzilla posted:

It already looks dumb because Cody just moved the goalposts from "win and losses matter" to "wins and losses matter, but also the quality"

It's dumb, just don't bother with the wins/losses matter poo poo.

What if you look at it from the point of "this guy's a long-time geek but he's rattled off a whole bunch of impressive wins in a row?"

Spin it like Bret Hart vs. the 1-2-3 Kid from RAW in the early 90's. The Kid had some good wins, got a title shot because Bret didn't have any other challengers lined up, and they had one of my favorite matches of all time.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
cody openly spoiling AEW Dark matches after this thread had a long debate about it is extremely funny

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aren’t there already two W/L counters next to their names on the chyron, one that’s specific to recent and one that is their overall, suggesting that yes, after a certain period there’s a reset (probably a calendar year, so everyone’s record would reset after Double or Nothing 2020)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Aren’t there already two W/L counters next to their names on the chyron, one that’s specific to recent and one that is their overall, suggesting that yes, after a certain period there’s a reset (probably a calendar year, so everyone’s record would reset after Double or Nothing 2020)
One is for the type of match they're in, the other is overall, I believe.

And gently caress yeah I love quality losses!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
It's only a problem if you're bad at booking long term. It's a good, important thing for wins and losses to matter. It would be really dumb if I could beat Michael Nakazawa five times and be 5-0 and get a world title shot because of my W/L record alone. Of course the quality of wins would matter.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Nice promo from Tully
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1181267949673439233

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

cody openly spoiling AEW Dark matches after this thread had a long debate about it is extremely funny

Cody rules

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Not making GBS threads on anyone here in particular, but this is why I'm not big on W-L records. They can accomplish the same goals just by booking things properly.

A top 10 ranking is a good idea, but it's probably a bit early for that.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Will probably also become less of an issue once people starting hitting 7-10 matches and the tiers are more obvious.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I did a system similar to the kind of ongoing ladder tournament system that's used in tennis in a TEW game once, and it made booking really easy, and kept everyone in each division in ranks, and made most TV matches have something on the line. I think it's really good, but it's just a little more complicated than most people probably want to deal with.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This idea of promoting matches and then running the matches you promoted is still completely wild :allears:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in terms of booking, AEW is coming in hot right after possibly the worst two loving world title matches of 2019 so they have nothing to fear

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't think that match between the goths is to be #1 contender. it just said to get a shot at the title. the number two through four routinely get title shots in mma and in boxing there are tuneups for the champion that are still title matches

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Cavauro posted:

i don't think that match between the goths is to be #1 contender. it just said to get a shot at the title. the number two through four routinely get title shots in mma and in boxing there are tuneups for the champion that are still title matches

This is some language parsing I can get behind. I mean truly, Cody’s should be designated as the Number 1 contender since he’s got the big showcase title shot coming up.

Get it together AEW.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the tracking of wins/losses is good and I hope in time fans will stop taking them as straight "but he has more wins than the other guy, why doesn't he get a shot?" and see them as tools that enhance the story when utilized well. winning streaks, showcase matches, main events, all of these could play into it and open up fun avenues.

now if it's straight dogshit that gets blown to hell in two months, I never made this post and it was always a bad idea.

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gumball Gumption posted:

I have so many questions that will never get answered.

this is the first time we’ve ever seen this kylie rae.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

this is sort of a weird match because both guys need a win on television. Mox has been gone and I feel like it makes shawn and tully look sorta lame if they lose two in a row. Omega interference to move along the Mox feud and set up a future match with Spears?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The Cameo posted:

I thought the counters were related to singles matches and other types of matches like trios or tag.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Pretty sure the cheapest stateside solution is $25 for the Sling package with TNT on it.

Thank you! I will probably do this I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m definitely driving from Austin with the expectation that they’ll probably also run Houston or San Antonio, which I will also drive to.

Struggling with wanting to travel from Austin for this, too. Dallas stinks and I had about enough of it as I could ever want for the G1, but I've also been shut out of every other AEW show I've tried buying tickets to.

Why won't anybody come to Austin instead :(

I'd even take San Antonio at this point since it's a shorter drive between the three options.