Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
https://i.imgur.com/5WEAvaM.mp4

Hello! This thread is all about the most enthusiastic & wonderfully underrated sport (imo) of RallyCross (RX)! :justpost: whatever RallyCross crap you want in here. Got some favorite gifs? Let's see 'em. Got vids of your rally rig making a dirt cloud? That's also pretty cool, I wanna see that too. Wanna discuss all the events this season in FIA/ARX/whatever? Let's do it.

I looked around but didn't see any active threads for the topic so apologies for the potential redundancy. Let me know if I'm confusing or I've missed something in this post and I'll update it. Now, on to the actual content!

What the hell is RallyCross even?

Well, since you asked, it's effectively mixed-surface circuit driving in rally cars. In the FIA categories, each race consists of 4-6 laps, and each driver must complete a "Joker" lap once per race to avoid getting a steep time penalty, but we'll talk about that later.

Each event has 3 parts:
- Qualifying sessions (Top-12 move on to next phase)
- Semi-Finals (Top-6 move on to next phase)
- Finals (winner is event winner, duh)

Typical Circuit Layout & The Joker Lap

https://i.imgur.com/hBtmepq.mp4

RX circuits are typically short, typically 0.5 - 0.8 miles in length. While all circuits are different, they all have several surface changes from pavement to dirt throughout the lap and typically there's at least one jump thrown in there as well, because why not? It's a recipe for a constantly evolving track and a lot of challenge for the drivers.

Now let's get to the joker. It's a longer path than the standard lap and adds a lot of strategy to the race, similar to how pit-stops are in F1. It's effectively an easy way for people to pass or get some clean air ahead, but there are also defensive strategies that are used too. There's a fair amount to say about Joker tactics, but I'll save that for some later discussion. All you need to know is that the drivers need to take it once per race. Unless a driver jumps the start, in which case they'll need to take two joker laps for the race.

Probably not everyone's favorite, but just to show a track with a lot of variety, here's a layout of an RX Track at COTA in Austin:

And a final race at the same location:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgJ58ASr8U&t=4293s

Event Format

As mentioned before, there's three major parts in an event which earn you points throughout. Read on for more words!

Qualifying Heats
Each race per qualifying heat consists of 3-5 drivers, and there's as many races as needed to cover the number of entrants. There's typically four qualifying heats per driver and points are earned based on fastest times (instead of position). So you could win first in your qualifying races all day but still not be on top because someone in another race of the same qualifying heat can beat your time. But ultimately, you want have the points to be in the top 12 after qualifying, or else you don't advance to the semi-finals.

Semi-Finals
This time, only the top 12 from qualifying get to race in six-car races with six laps. With respect to points, the grids are arranged so that all of the odd-numbered positions are in one race, and the even-numbered positions are in the other. Top-three from both races get move on to the final.

Final
The top three finishers from the two semi-finals get to compete in the final. This is again a six-car race with six laps and the winner is crowned event champion! Usually this is the one to watch if you don't see any of the other parts of the event; people get clever, aggressive, and push push push.
https://i.imgur.com/sIyRXwQ.mp4

The Cars!
While I'm fairly new to the sport myself, I believe these are pretty much the basic classes.

Crosskart/ARX3
Rear-engine, RWD, lightweight/low-powered kart/buggy things. Typically an entry-point for drivers new to the sport

Super1600
Front-Engine, FWD, ~200hp, NA 1600cc 4cyl Hot-Hatches. Also an entry-point for drivers new to the sport

RX2
Identically built mid-engined, AWD, 310hp, NA 2.0L 4cyl cars. Basically the final class before you get to Supercar.

Supercar
Front-Engine, AWD, 600hp, Turbocharged 2.0L 4cyl monsters. :hellyeah:

How can I immerse myself into this awesome sport?

I don't have cable anymore but in the US I believe they run airings of the semi-finals & finals for each event on whatever sports channel (CBSSports, ESPNnumber, whatever). But I've been watching the FIA world & ARX championships on Youtube as they air the qualifying heats as well.

The final ARX event is this weekend at Mid-Ohio and 1st place is still within reach for the top drivers, so it should be a good event to watch. I'll post the livestream(s) if anyone is interested but you can also find them (and past streams) on the ARX RallyCross youtube page (same goes for the FIA world RX page as well).

Additionally, if you're like me and a total dork about this stuff and your wife hates you because of it, there's also video games with rallycross modes in them, namely the Dirt Rally series comes to mind. I'm playing my way through Dirt Rally 2.0 right now (PS4) and would definitely recommend it if you're at all interested in rally & driving games.

https://i.imgur.com/qhzbHpo.mp4

Let's get to discussin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Rallycross is cool. VW and the other manufacturers pulling out last season was the best thing to happen for years. Every race is such a scrap.

This has to be the only FIA championship in a lot of years with no manufacturers competing for the top title. Even the first season had the Hansen-run Peugeots although that might be more semi factory.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Nice, I'm glad I'm getting into it on a good season. Is manufacturers competing a typical thing? Or is that also typically part of whatever team they're on (ie, Hansen, GRX, or Monster)?

Also, I always thought teams are the one dumb thing about this sport. There's so few drivers anyway and when they're in a race together, it's about the team strategy and not the individual winning the race. Like last weekend at COTA, Bakkerud purposefully gave up a good lead to one of the other constant Subaru drivers (Atko or Sandell, don't remember). Just makes the races less interesting to watch :shrug:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Last year, VW Peugeot and Audi had Factory backed teams in WRX, where they would provide funds and car development. They would do this in partnership with existing WRX teams, being run by Solberg, Hansens and Ekstöm respectively. This ment they had much more resources than the small private teams that rely on smaller sponsors. VW and Kristofferson won all but one events last season. Now all manufacturers have pulled out, and the resource playing field is leveled, with pretty much all teams being a shoestring operation in global motorsport terms.

I don't follow ARX, so I don't know about the Subaru situation, but you will find team playing like that in most motorsport. Bakkerud is in the hunt for the championship in WRX, so Dooran will get out of his way there.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Ah, I gotcha, makes sense. I think that's basically what Subaru is doing in the US but I'm glad that the playing field is more-level now for WRX, it's certainly been a good season so far.

ARX is on it's second year so I think they're still trying to get more entrants for future seasons. But this season it's effectively 8 drivers in the Supercar & RX2 classes respectively, so the events are usually a lot shorter. Still a good watch though if you're ever bored.

Scott Speed broke his back at some nitro rx event so they have Bakkerud & Joni Wiman filling in for him for the rest of the season but I guess the Subaru team orders are to give points to Atkinson or Sandell where they can since they've been competing the whole season. Still, would be cooler if they were competing by themselves since they all have really good pace.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Time to kick off the final event for the ARX season :rock: McConnell gonna win it in the RX2 group, I feel it in my bones

Here's the Q1 livestream (starts at 10:55cdt):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVSep4MU3Mk

RoboFrance_29 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 5, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh man Im glad I happened onto this like right before it starts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Whats wrong with the announcers eye

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

New life goal: have the Jamaican prime minister tweet about me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Tanner playing it smart: Racing instead of hosting

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Adiabatic posted:

Whats wrong with the announcers eye

Lol idk, prob dust from practice

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Oh cool, they changed the first turn too. Looks like they get some good speed

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

These are the N/A 2.0 4 cylinders right? Man they sound like rear end.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Fueled by angry farty bees

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

How close to like Tanner Faust are these guys? It's pretty cool they're televising some less-than-pinnacle dudes. Makes for good TV.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
I think it's gonna be Karam v McConnell doing battle in the times

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo that Michael Leach car got owned. e: wait it was all hosed up before the start of the race

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So this is making me want to turn the MR2 into a rallycross car.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
I'm not sure, I need to see if I can find their practice times. But they're not terribly far back in terms of time difference, maybe like a 20-30sec delta in race time?

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
And hell yeah, do it & post that poo poo!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

hahahaha thats gotta suck to be on live TV and jump the start

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Double yolker for Vacala

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Lol better to jump now instead of the finals

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I see why you like this McConnell dude he's super good and doesnt give a gently caress.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Yeah, he's been tearing it up in WRX this season too, though a little further back but I think it's his first season competing

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Are they gonna keep playing the same Subaru commercial every 15m?

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Hey it's that same goddamn Subaru ad!

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Unfortunately yes. That's for skipping later when I take the dogs out

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I love that duct on the Subaru c pillar rear door

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 5, 2019

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Love how they're all basically the same livery too ha

And it looks like theres a ~3sec delta between rx2 & supercar in the lap times

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hahahaha holy poo poo is that a beetle

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Watching this with my kiddo instead of Mr. Rogers :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
:3:

Hey now, don't dog a fast beetle (I type completely seriously and not ironically)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My sister drives a black beetle so I'm sending family group texts telling her to quit dogging it

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Thank u for ur service

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That was neat whens the next one?

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Gonna go ahead and post the next one. Looks like it starts at 12:25pm(cdt)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xNnkw9DhOg

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Next heat should be more interesting now that all the quick drivers are together

DO BATTLE FOR MY AMUSEMENT

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Soopa car time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

This is good thanks for posting it.