Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It's time to carve some goddamn pumpkins. How are you not doing it already? It's October. Do it.

I prefer relief carving, so I use a small Fiskars knife like this:

I peel the surface with a vegetable peeler and cut off the parts that aren't a face or whatever. Here i my first one of the year this year:

I also use small wood carving gouges for some of the stuff.

My favorite are these tiny Wee-B-Little pumpkins:

They make fun designs easily and quickly, but the grocery store started to lacquer the goddamn things so you can't carve them. What is that bullshit?

Anyway, please do some. They are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

freeedr posted:

They make fun designs easily and quickly, but the grocery store started to lacquer the goddamn things so you can't carve them. What is that bullshit?

Most people don't carve them and the lacquer means it doesn't rot til like Christmas.

Anyway, cool poo poo OP. Do a Hank Hill pumpkin I tell ya what.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
kinda want to make a goatse pumpkin. theres no trick or treating in my neighborhood really, just drug abuse

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

it's missing the ring

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Do these still look cool lit up? I like your pumps op

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s pukkin season! :spooky:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Look at Mr. Fancy Pants over here. I crave my pumpkins the same way I've been doing for years. Poorly.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
There's a guy that paints Garfield on a pumpkin every year for work. When he brings it in I'll get a picture.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

freeedr posted:

It's time to carve some goddamn pumpkins. How are you not doing it already? It's October. Do it.

I prefer relief carving, so I use a small Fiskars knife like this:

I peel the surface with a vegetable peeler and cut off the parts that aren't a face or whatever. Here i my first one of the year this year:

I also use small wood carving gouges for some of the stuff.

My favorite are these tiny Wee-B-Little pumpkins:

Anyway, please do some. They are fun.

:nice:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Do you have any Christian carvings

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Technically they are all Christian carvings because my name is Christian.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

All pukkins are satanic. :devil:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I hear soaking in a bleach solution delays pumpkin rot. I also hear WD-40 displaces enough water to get the job done. Hairspray supposedly seals the pumpkin even when it is sweating after you cut it, because it’s designed to dry on even if your hair is damp.

Personally, I let them rot and replace them with the new ones until the season is over. There’s something zen about your hard work withering away in front of you until you can no longer redo it. Such is life.

This one was lacquered.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What kind of lacquer do you use and how long does it last?

I ask out of curiosity but I’d rather let them wither naturally too.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Snowy posted:

What kind of lacquer do you use and how long does it last?

I ask out of curiosity but I’d rather let them wither naturally too.

I don’t lacquer them. The grocery store does. That’s what the white stuff around that one’s face is. I bought it not realizing it was lacquered. They won’t get me this year, though. I hope I can find some more Wee-B-Little pumpkins at one of the pop-up pumpkin stands in the area. All depends if anyone has grown them. They sell for a dollar each max, so not many farms bother with them.

Though I guess if you were so inclined, you could hairspray them to stop them sleeping out fluid and then apply a spray-on lacquer to the cut surfaces. No idea if it would work. Seems like the solvent in the lacquer would destroy the hairspray and it would seep like mad again until it started to whither anyway. I have all of these things, so maybe I’ll try it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Be me 18 years ago riding around smoking blunts in my friends mini van picking up garbage off of your neighbors curb and throwing it all over your lawn, smashing your pumpkins on your front porch and lighting a smoke bomb in your mailbox before ringing your doorbell and whipping a donut in said minivan with the side doors open while screaming fuuuuuuuck you and peeling off leaving nothing but the smell of maple syrup blunt wraps and burning rubber

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Watch out for goons with shotguns buddy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

freeedr posted:

Technically they are all Christian carvings because my name is Christian.

Really crazy how it go like that sometime

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I’ll post one later in the month I assure you it will be poo poo compared to these lol

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Time makes fools of us all

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

But we can bounce back for a while

e: To the people that think these are awesome: I assure you these are really easy to make. I have no artistic talent. Get a knife and a peeler and give it a go. Starting with the eye placement is easiest for me.

freeedr fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 6, 2019

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every halloween I dress like a pumpkin and my friend ronnie dresses like a candle and we go down to denny's and make a jack o' lantern until they call the cops

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

every halloween I dress like a pumpkin and my friend ronnie dresses like a candle and we go down to denny's and make a jack o' lantern until they call the cops

Wax dat rear end

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

freeedr posted:

But we can bounce back for a while

e: To the people that think these are awesome: I assure you these are really easy to make. I have no artistic talent. Get a knife and a peeler and give it a go. Starting with the eye placement is easiest for me.

Your perspective is cool though regardless of talent.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Making things look ugly id easier thsn making them look beautiful

How about a nice sexy piumpkkn next tkme

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

JK Fresco posted:

Making things look ugly id easier thsn making them look beautiful

How about a nice sexy piumpkkn next tkme

He doesn’t seem interested

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Some very sensual lips I am impressed

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Might do this at work, thanks OP

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Not much carving coming from you lot.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm going to try to do one of those lovecraftian Garfields for my pumpkin but I have zero artistic ability so I'll settle for "mildly disturbing".

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

If you make your pumpkin emo it will cut itself

e: to be clear, self harm isn’t a joke. If you are harming yourself, talk to someone for help. It isn’t shameful to have problems. Perfect mental health doesn’t exist just like perfect physical health doesn’t exist. Maybe carving a fresh gourd or apple will help you feel better and put that knife to better use.

freeedr fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 7, 2019

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Anyone who doesn’t immediately slice a piece of fruit into an interesting shape is an rear end in a top hat

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

freeedr posted:

Anyone who doesn’t immediately slice a piece of fruit into an interesting shape is an rear end in a top hat

:haw:

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
Makes me wish I didn't have a real job as well

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

freeedr posted:

:3:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Solid work, enough to make me wish I had some skill in the pumpkin arts :sigh:

I can't get over this guy :drac:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm rootin' for you freeedr.

I'd carve a pumpkin but I'm a lazy piece of poo poo and this thread could be fun.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Can’t carve pumpkins yet. It’s still 90 degrees outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005