Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Imagine being paid a fortune to squander several great teams with like a billion dollars in total payroll because you stole second base once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Midwest food- no thanks.

Wash that Imos down with a shot of Malort

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hot take: Not putting in Jansen in until the Dodgers blew it and was pointless is just as bad as not playing Britton in the WC game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WaryWarren posted:

Maddon's going back to the Halos.

"It's a fait accompli" - Every loving sports writer apparently.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really, really hate the idea of the Nats getting rewarded for how they hosed around Harper with a pennant.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

I think Roberts is in the modern manager mold of a guy who is told "do [x] with your starters, use use bullpen as we tell you to" and he conforms to those requests 95% of the time. Like how your FO was obsessed with Joe Kelly being a fireman early in the season and Roberts used him thusly, to very, very bad results.

I think like, it was probably an organizational decision to go to Kershaw and Maeda instead of the pen but it was probably a Roberts decision to stick with Kelly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

Hot take: Not putting in Jansen in until the Dodgers blew it and was pointless is just as bad as not playing Britton in the WC game.

lol I was just thinking about the Britton comp. Like yeah Jansen had his worst season of his career, and it was still better than the majority of closers. No idea why you don't put him in over a second innning of loving Kelly.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

MJeff posted:

I really, really hate the idea of the Nats getting rewarded for how they hosed around Harper with a pennant.

but on the other hand, lol bryce harper

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

I think Roberts is in the modern manager mold of a guy who is told "do [x] with your starters, use use bullpen as we tell you to" and he conforms to those requests 95% of the time. Like how your FO was obsessed with Joe Kelly being a fireman early in the season and Roberts used him thusly, to very, very bad results.
I just don’t know wtf about tonight’s BP management you think was dictated by the FO. “The numbers” wouldn’t say to push Kelly for an extra inning, or to go to Kershaw first, etc etc

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MJeff posted:

The Nats winning it all with Harper missing the playoffs would be amazing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Are you kidding me? Why did they take Hudson out?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Is Kershaw off the hook now? He only gave up the tie.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If Roberts gets fired, he has to be at the front of the line for the SF job, right?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
LET RODNEY PITCH

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Homeybeef posted:

Is Kershaw off the hook now? He only gave up the tie.

Kershaw was never on the hook

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only Goggle Closer who was ever good was Gagne when he was on roids

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I just don’t know wtf about tonight’s BP management you think was dictated by the FO. “The numbers” wouldn’t say to push Kelly for an extra inning, or to go to Kershaw first, etc etc

It makes sense from the perspective of an FO that wants to justify the huge contracts it has doled out.

Context: I root for a team that makes more decisions because it wants to justify the huge contracts it has doled out.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Intruder posted:

Kershaw was never on the hook

I mean as far a blame from the fans. Sorry I wasn't super clear.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

MJeff posted:

I mean, Harper made out pretty well in the end.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Homeybeef posted:

I mean as far a blame from the fans

It's 100% going to be Kershaw in their eyes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Homeybeef posted:

oh no by no means

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Homeybeef posted:

Not a chance in hell

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

It makes sense from the perspective of an FO that wants to justify the huge contracts it has doled out.

Context: I root for a team that makes more decisions because it wants to justify the huge contracts it has doled out.
you don’t understand the Dodgers FO at all

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kershaw is going to go to the Hall having never won a ring.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

in this bleak playoff picture, the only thing worth rooting for is for Fernando Rodney to get a ring

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol @ Dave Roberts

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll go out on a limb and say there's no FO in baseball that makes gametime bullpen decisions

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Zigmidge posted:

I can't believe the montreal expos are going to win a world series :angel:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

you don’t understand the Dodgers FO at all

If it makes you feel any better:
a) I watched seven Dodgers games this year (the ones they played vs the Cubs) and derive all my understanding of their org from the bitching of my bitter Dodgers fan roommate
b) I'm pretty goddamn drunk right now and trolling

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I'll go out on a limb and say there's no FO in baseball that makes gametime bullpen decisions

If you look closely Roberts is wearing a wire and quickly jotting down bullet points on a notepad

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think like, it was probably an organizational decision to go to Kershaw and Maeda instead of the pen but it was probably a Roberts decision to stick with Kelly.

In all likelihood, the decision to go Kershaw was a Kershaw decision. The FO went out and got Kolarek for -exactly- the situation that arose at the end of the 7th. Kolarek > Maeda > Kershaw should've been etched in stone.

The Kelly decision...who knows.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
lol if any team thinks they're gonna get past the Cardinals

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If Roberts gets fired, he has to be at the front of the line for the SF job, right?
dave winning a ring in SF under Farhan is ducking nightmare fuel so naturally it’ll happen

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I like watching older couples leaving the game early. The guy always walks like 10 stair lengths ahead of his wife and you can almost hear him mumbling “come on Janet, let’s get out of this shithole!”

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Popete posted:

If you look closely Roberts is wearing a wire and quickly jotting down bullet points on a notepad

I just can’t imagine the FO wanting to keep Kershaw and Kelly out there

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd take Roberts as Cubs manager in a heartbeat. He seems like a good clubhouse manager.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Sydin posted:

AJ Pollock has been sitting for a rookie nobody heard about before May, fyi

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Offense checked out after the second inning and once again will duck any real blame

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shammypants posted:

I like watching older couples leaving the game early. The guy always walks like 10 stair lengths ahead of his wife and you can almost hear him mumbling “come on Janet, let’s get out of this shithole!”

I've been to Dodger Stadium enough times to know the next 45 minutes will be spent sitting at a near stand-still in the parking lot waiting to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Der Meister posted:

I just can’t imagine the FO wanting to keep Kershaw and Kelly out there

Yeah that feels like a Roberts decision, going to "his guy" in Kershaw