Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Tbf I am left handed when I write but in general it's a right handed world. Everything is designed around using your right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tulip posted:

The Batman stuff felt pretty tacked on and non-essential. Thomas Wayne felt like this unholy Ed Koch-Michael Bloomberg-Jeff Bezos character, and he's very comprehensible as a representation of "financiers who got into politics as a means of hurting poor people," but the superhero elements didn't add a lot.
I disagree because

Roman posted:

- In the scene with Bruce standing over his dead parents, a Wolfen poster on the wall. Maybe a reference to when Arthur says "They just think we'll just sit there and take it like good little boys, and we won't werewolf and go wild."
it shows that Arthur's actions kept the cycle of abuse going

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Another thing to get off my chest: One critique I keep seeing over and over is that Arthur, a mentally ill uneducated uncultured loner, was incoherent and had nothing profound to say on Murray's show. I would argue that him not delivering some eloquent "clever" Aaron Sorkin speech was a sign of good writing, as opposed to bad.

I also liked that his attempt to look cool and clever by stealing Murray's "That's life" catchphrase was cut off by the Please Stand By screen.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The best bit is right after that when it implies that news stations are just straight up airing the footage of Murray getting shot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

The best bit is right after that when it implies that news stations are just straight up airing the footage of Murray getting shot.

Big R. Budd Dwyer energy there.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

But bleeping out the naughty word

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Roman posted:

The best joke ever

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Roman posted:

Another thing to get off my chest: One critique I keep seeing over and over is that Arthur, a mentally ill uneducated uncultured loner, was incoherent and had nothing profound to say on Murray's show. I would argue that him not delivering some eloquent "clever" Aaron Sorkin speech was a sign of good writing, as opposed to bad.

I also liked that his attempt to look cool and clever by stealing Murray's "That's life" catchphrase was cut off by the Please Stand By screen.

My conviction that critics were confused by the movie because they outright refuse to believe that class war is real only grows stronger

Roman posted:

lol

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The worst line in the movie was when Arthur said "you're just like the rest of them!". That's such a hacky line.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah but Arthur's kind of a hack so it works.

I'm still impressed that someone made a movie about one of the most popular comic supervillains ever, and didn't portray them as some super cool antihero but as a dangerous dork. And it not only worked but resonated with lots of people and made a billion dollars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The lengths by which people will go to say they hated this movie, my goodness

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Donovan Trip posted:

The lengths by which people will go to say they hated this movie, my goodness

Can't believe some people didn't like a movie!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Prince Myshkin posted:

Can't believe some people didn't like a movie!
have you ever experienced "Film Twitter"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joaquin when he heard he got the nom.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Has anyone thought that Arthur was never actually the real joker? Just a mental patient in a psych ward who hears about a guy dressed as a clown commiting crimes from the news and TV and just gloms onto the idea that he’s the joker?
And it’s happening in all the other wards to the other patients,the real joker’s out there somewhere,a jack nicholson type or a heath ledger type,maybe even a caeser romero type,depending on which patient you ask and what mood they’re in.
Like a mass hysteria for mental patients.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Has anyone thought that Arthur was never actually the real joker?
the director suggested that might be the case but in an "he's an unreliable narrator so WHO KNOWS" kind of way

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't buy that interpretation just because if the ending is saying that none of what you watched actually happened, what was the loving point? Unreliable narration can be used to good effect, but shrugging off the entire plot without revealing any layers underneath isn't that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sinteres posted:

I don't buy that interpretation just because if the ending is saying that none of what you watched actually happened, what was the loving point? Unreliable narration can be used to good effect, but shrugging off the entire plot isn't that.

Everything did happen,it’s just arthur has put a joker filter over his memories.And all the poo poo that makes no sense is because he’s crazy.

(Just my interpretation)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Joker writing left handed makes sense I think the French word for left hand is Le Sinister ?

Anyway left handed people were thought to be sinister and not of their right.minds to the point they would force left handed people to write right handed.

Also as some occult connotations.

It makes sense joker would be left handed

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There is an actual DC villain named Sinestro and he used to be one of the good guys. They explained his name by making him left-handed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Has anyone thought that Arthur was never actually the real joker? Just a mental patient in a psych ward who hears about a guy dressed as a clown commiting crimes from the news and TV and just gloms onto the idea that he’s the joker?
And it’s happening in all the other wards to the other patients,the real joker’s out there somewhere,a jack nicholson type or a heath ledger type,maybe even a caeser romero type,depending on which patient you ask and what mood they’re in.
Like a mass hysteria for mental patients.

he's the jokah baby

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seeing this movie tonight, what's it about?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Jokes

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Roth posted:

Air humping

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Roth posted:

Stairs

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sinteres posted:

I don't buy that interpretation just because if the ending is saying that none of what you watched actually happened, what was the loving point? Unreliable narration can be used to good effect, but shrugging off the entire plot without revealing any layers underneath isn't that.

It's pretty obvious which parts are Arthur daydreaming and which parts actually happened.

It's also pretty obvious that Arthur isn't 'the joker' in any specific batman move canon but that's b/c it's pretty clear that 'the joker' isn't a singular person and also b/c it isn't seamless with any current batman canon.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tulip posted:

It's pretty obvious which parts are Arthur daydreaming and which parts actually happened.

It's also pretty obvious that Arthur isn't 'the joker' in any specific batman move canon but that's b/c it's pretty clear that 'the joker' isn't a singular person and also b/c it isn't seamless with any current batman canon.

I wish the movie hadn't felt the need to nod to Batman continuity as much as it did, even if it wasn't tying itself to any particular version of the character. The alley scene felt out of place to me, and pointing to the inevitability of their rivalry in the future just highlights the weird age difference between them. If the movie's not canon, none of that poo poo matters, but I guess this makes selling it easier to people with a terminal case of comic book brain.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope he gives the same speech when he wins the Oscar.

quote:

"At the BAFTA Awards on Sunday night, Joaquin Phoenix used his acceptance speech for Best Actor to call out the industry's prominent diversity problem. Phoenix won the award for his performance as Arthur Fleck in Joker, about a man with mental illness mistreated by society, who spirals and slowly forms an alter ego, the Joker. While the film takes place in Gotham City, a key location in the DC Universe, Fleck is not a character found in the comics.

The BAFTAs got a lot of backlash this year for the evident lack of diversity in its nominees. The acting nominees were all white, the directors included no women, and some people took issue with Margot Robbie being nominated twice in one category. Other award shows, like the Academy Awards, have faced similar criticism. This year's Oscar nominations ruffled feathers for paying too little attention to diverse films.

According to Deadline, Phoenix gave a powerful speech about the lack of diversity at the awards, and what needs to be done to change it. Instead of celebrating his win, Phoenix spoke of his conflicted feelings on the "privilege" he experiences. He calls out the BAFTAs in particular.

I think that we send a very clear message to people of color that you’re not welcome here. I think that’s the message that we’re sending to people that have contributed so much to our medium and our industry, and in ways that we benefit from.

BAFTA spoke out themselves after the initial nominees were announced, citing their own disappointment and stating that there will be an internal investigation into the voting process.

Phoenix also seemed well-aware of his role in this system of privilege, saying that he is "ashamed," acknowledging that he is"part of the problem." He then put a spotlight on everyone in the room and stated what needs to be done to create change.

We have to do the hard work to truly understand systemic racism. I think it is the obligation of the people that have created and perpetuate and benefit from a system of oppression to be the ones that dismantle it. So that’s on us.

Many people have called out the obvious diversity problem at the awards throughout the past few years, but there's been little visible change. The last time a woman was nominated for Best Director at the BAFTAs was when Kathryn Bigelow had the honor back in 2012. As for the Oscars, Greta Gerwig was nominated in 2017 for Lady Bird, but was shut out of the category this year, despite her film Little Women being nominated for Best Picture, and five other awards. Only five women have ever been nominated for Best Director in the history of the Academy Awards.

Phoenix's film, Joker, has gotten a lot of attention for its portrayal of mental illness and society. The movie was a box-office hit, but it had mixed reviews, some praising it, with others calling it damaging. But no matter what people think of his film, Phoenix has been using the attention it's bringing to highlight the systematic issues within the entertainment industry. By pointing out what needs to be done and admitting that he knows he is a part of the issue, Phoenix's words will hopefully inspire others to examine their privilege."

https://screenrant.com/joaquin-phoenix-baftas-diversity-problem-speech/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder how the nerds who thinks Joker is an anti-SJW movie react to this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shout out Joaquin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It took like 5 years for people to realize Ledger’s joker was just a 1-1 Tom Waits impression, I’m excited for 2026 discourse to be all excited about the kid from Modern Family playing Joker and everyone realizing Phoenix’s Performance is just “Andy Kaufman”

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

It took like 5 years for people to realize Ledger’s joker was just a 1-1 Tom Waits impression, I’m excited for 2026 discourse to be all excited about the kid from Modern Family playing Joker and everyone realizing Phoenix’s Performance is just “Andy Kaufman”

Thankyouverymuch.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's like 4 kids in Modern Family now, you have to be more specific.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

There's like 4 kids in Modern Family now, you have to be more specific.

Whichever poor bastard had to go through puberty on national TV while pretending Sofía Vergara was his loving mom. No way that dude doesn’t turn out a little unhinged

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

He had plenty of practice cribbing from Kaufman after I'm Still Here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like how much criticism Joker gets for taking inspiration from cool things. "It's just Taxi Driver / King of Comedy / Andy Kaufman... Etc"

...good? Those things are awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

So what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I like how much criticism Joker gets for taking inspiration from cool things. "It's just Taxi Driver / King of Comedy / Andy Kaufman... Etc"

...good? Those things are awesome.

They are, but in the case of the Scorcese movies the comparison is unfavorable to Joker. I mean falling short of peak Scorcese obviously isn't the end of the world, since almost everyone will, but having seen the other movies reduces the novelty of Joker for sure. As for Kaufman, I think Phoenix is good enough that pointing out any inspiration doesn't lessen what he did.