Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

So I belong to a Facebook group called "I'm With Roscoe"; it's a group for appreciating revolvers, especially snubs, and especially in the context of noir films.

The group hosts shoots in their home state of New Hampshire, and in order to compete you have to wear a hat or a tie at a minimum, and a full suit is preferred.

The group has an internet match that ends on Monday, and I haven't done it yet. Since I really want to but may not make the deadline, and since October is a great month for thinking about costumes, I figured I'd put this forward for the TFR match. It has generous time limits, is shot at 50 feet (a hair under 17 yards), and does not require holster work.

Here are the rules for the original internet match:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/IW...zb0F9LdH820cfbY

TL;DR: Print off five NRA B2 bullseye targets. Place them at 50 feet. Fire five shots at each target; with 30 seconds per five-shot string. Take a photo of your five targets with your "Roscoe", and post your score.

Other rules: You can shoot single action or double action. You have to shoot strong-hand unsupported only. You may only shoot once per division.

Divisions: the two divisions in the original match are snub and full-size, with full-size being 3.5-4", and snub being 3" or shorter. Minimum caliber is .32 Long, but I will add rimfire snub and full-size divisions for TFR's purposes. You'll note that I changed the barrel length requirements for the divisions as well. I think a 2.5" Model 19 is a snub, for example, where the original rules don't.

Scoring: If there is no space between the "grease ring" of your bullet and the scoring ring, it counts for the higher score. Rounds fired over the 30-second time limit do not count. 250 "regular" points possible. Five point bonus for wearing a tie; five points for wearing a fedora or other period hat; five points for wearing a suit or other period outfit (fifteen total bonus points available).

Link to the target that I'm using: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=285&d=1322428770

Centerfire Snub

Soupisgood: 119
Midjack: 94
tarlibone: 71
infrared35: 18

Centerfire Full-Size

infrared35: 167
frunksock: 155

Rimfire Snub

Butch Cassidy: 87

Rimfire Full-Size

infrared35: 149 (unofficial)

Photo for example only; the shooter helpfully listed his run times on each target in addition to the scores.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

This is awesome! I may not have a revolver with a short enough barrel, but I will measure when I get home and if I do I am in.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

God dammit! Now I need to find a place where I can shoot 50 feet away. (My range isn't that big. Sad face.)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

God dammit! Now I need to find a place where I can shoot 50 feet away. (My range isn't that big. Sad face.)

If you are running out of options you can scale the target down appropriately for the distance you're shooting. It's sort of cheating since your bullets will be "bigger" compared to the scoring zones and you're more likely to hit a higher scoring ring, but everything else is effectively equal and this is just for fun so vv

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

For anyone else lacking Facebook, here are two versions of the B2. One with red center rings to aid with spot shooting and a classic black:

https://targets4free.com/nra-b2-target/

We just going to run with the black? Or would the red center be kosher for those preferring?

Going to run with my 22 LR Ruger LCR and my bobbed S&W model 36. Possibly my 4" S&W model 10-11.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

We just going to run with the black? Or would the red center be kosher for those preferring?

Going to run with my 22 LR Ruger LCR and my bobbed S&W model 36. Possibly my 4" S&W model 10-11.

Either target is fine as long as the scoring rings are the same size.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Hell yeah finally one I can do at lovely bay area ranges, and I happen to have just gotten a brand new (60 year old) 4" revolver that needs shootin.

tarlibone posted:

Are you sure you're not mistaking feet for yards / meters? All the pistol ranges I've been to go to 25y / 25m (~75 feet).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

frunksock posted:

Are you sure you're not mistaking feet for yards / meters? All the pistol ranges I've been to go to 25y / 25m (~75 feet).

My range is set up mainly for handguns, and it's mostly geared toward getting an Illinois CCL. The max marked distance is 12 or 13 yards, I think. That's about 40 feet max.

infrared35 posted:

If you are running out of options you can scale the target down appropriately for the distance you're shooting. It's sort of cheating since your bullets will be "bigger" compared to the scoring zones and you're more likely to hit a higher scoring ring, but everything else is effectively equal and this is just for fun so vv

That's an idea. I just need to figure out the angle, and from there it's simple trigonometry. I wonder if the angle changes depending on my pupil's size at the moment?

So... what does 7 5/16" turn into when you cut the distance by 10 feet? To the calculators!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

So... what does 7 5/16" turn into when you cut the distance by 10 feet? To the calculators!

Itís not exact, but if youíre shooting at 80% of the distance, you could print the target at 80% size.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Itís not exact, but if youíre shooting at 80% of the distance, you could print the target at 80% size.

Well, yeah, but that's only if you don't like trig. And I do.

I will print out a version of the target where the outer ring is 4 31/80" in diameter. Placed at 10 yards (30 feet), that will appear to be the same size as a 7 5/16" circle (the outer ring of a B2 target) set at 50 feet.

I figured this out in a crazy-complicated way because it just doesn't seem right that I can do a simple ratio calculation. Basically, I used tan^-1 to figure out the angle of a target 3.65675 inches in radius @ 600 inches away; this angle was .00609375į. Then, I took the tangent of that angle to solve for x/360, as I can definitely get the target 360 inches away. That ends up being 2.19375" in radius, or 4.3875 (that's 31 80ths) in diameter. Because of course it is! I figured out the angle using opposite/adjacent, then I calculated a new adjacent using the tangent of that angle. Which means I did one completely superfluous step (finding the angle). But, it did let me check my work by calculating the other angle, which is just shy of 90į. Then I looked it up, and there's an easy thing called the Intercept Theorem that would have given me the exact same answer in about one easy step.

Still, I mathed today. I feel good. Time to go pedal my guts out at the gym.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

the angular diameter of the scoring rings would be the same but your scores would be higher on that further reduced target because the bullet diameter would be larger relative to the scoring rings. the sum of the scoring ring diameter and bullet diameter should scale not just the scoring ring diameter. that target is meant for .45

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

californiasushi posted:

the angular diameter of the scoring rings would be the same but your scores would be higher on that further reduced target because the bullet diameter would be larger relative to the scoring rings. the sum of the scoring ring diameter and bullet diameter should scale not just the scoring ring diameter. that target is meant for .45

I know that. Thing is, while I can shrink the target to at least get close to the same level of challenge, I can't shrink my bullets. My only non-357 revolver is my 22LR Wrangler, and it ain't no snubby.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There's a division for full-size rimfire

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

There's a division for full-size rimfire

Yeah, but in the spirit of the match the limit is four inches. If someone wants to shoot it with a longer wheelgun, Iím all for it, but it wouldnít be an ďofficialĒ score.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goddammit the LGS has a Colt Police Positive for $400 that has been there for months. I canít afford to keep buying guns!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Goddammit the LGS has a Colt Police Positive for $400 that has been there for months. I canít afford to keep buying guns!

Offer them $300 cash for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TBH at this point they would probably take it but I still need a carry gun and neither a 4Ē .38 revolver nor a SP-01 are fantastic for that.

I need to doublecheck itís a .38 as well, make sure itís not .32-20.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Is a Ruger Alaskan appropriate for this challenge?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Soupisgood posted:

Is a Ruger Alaskan appropriate for this challenge?

Sure, as long as the barrel is 4Ē or less

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Got to the range. Did abysmally with the 442 (18 points) but did pretty well with the 4" Model 15 (167).

Edit: didnít earn any bonus points; I was lucky to get to the range at all, let alone dig up any accoutrements.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 9, 2019

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

So I may have cheated by using the wrong targets, but I'm not in first place so do with this as you will.

119 points, magtech 44 mag, Ruger Alaskan. I was thinking of wearing a suit but I didn't want my one suit to reek of gunpowder.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Soupisgood posted:

So I may have cheated by using the wrong targets, but I'm not in first place so do with this as you will.

119 points, magtech 44 mag, Ruger Alaskan. I was thinking of wearing a suit but I didn't want my one suit to reek of gunpowder.

What size are those targets?

Either way, I think you get the nod for Biggest Roscoe.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

I couldn't get to a printer to print out the official targets, and the local range didn't have the NRA bullfire targets, but someone did have one he had used and we lined them up and they looked to be about the same size but with the rings at different intervals. I'm happy to call it dummy thic division, because I had the thiccest roscoe but was a dummy about targets.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I was going to do this complicated thing where I was deducting one point for every hit to simulate the scoring rings being smaller, but then I was going to give you bonus points for basically using a clone of the gun in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", which is noir AF.

So I'll let the score stand.

Edit: That's a 3" barrel or less, right?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 12, 2019

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

2.5 inch.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

87 points with my DAO Ruger LCR in 22 Long Rifle shooting Federal Champion bulk pack plated hollowpoints. Ran the N.R.A. basics of pistol shooting course of fire through all levels after. Wanted to keep doing accuracy work. The trigger got rough during BoPS and I'm about to lube the hammer axle and give every non-strip accessible part of the cylinder a good scrub to hope that fixes it. Hoping it's just gunk under the star and/or dry. At least I barely passed the instructor test bonus level even if it took some serious effort.

Can post a target photo later. Did lyck out that shots clipping other targets didn't break scoring rings so got to just ignore them.

E: I used my interval timer for this. Rest periods set to 20 seconds to allow an administrator istrative reload and brief break, 30 second times, and five reps. Worked a treat.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 14, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

94 with my 2" barrel Rhino with .38 Special, which I judged to be slightly more noir than the only other revolver I own, a Mateba. All shots fired SA. I haven't been to the range very much in the last couple of years and shot this gun only a little since I've owned it, and both of those were very evident today. Most of them got on the paper, at least. No bonus points because I don't own a hat and don't have a suit I can really stand to smell up at the moment.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That Rhino is so cute! I want a 6" one. How do you like it, and what do you usually feed it?

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Time to speed up my snubbie purchase!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

That Rhino is so cute! I want a 6" one. How do you like it, and what do you usually feed it?

Itís a fun riff on the usual revolver design. I think the 150 I put through it this week doubled its round count so far. I gave it Winchester 130 grain white box and that seems okay. The barrel at 6:00 reduces muzzle flip and the recoil of .38 is easy enough to absorb. .357 smacking back into your palm stings a bit, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I put a larger grip on the 442 and what a difference. I got 18 points on my official run with that gun, using the tiny factory boot grip. I ran the match cold today and got 115 points with the bigger grip. I tied my previous match score just on the first bullseye.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Today was my first time shooting my 1958 Model 19. American Eagle 38spl round lead nose. All shots double action. I love this gun.

155 I think. Since I'm a newb at scoring, when I wasn't sure I used the lower one.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

frunksock posted:

Today was my first time shooting my 1958 Model 19. American Eagle 38spl round lead nose. All shots double action. I love this gun.

155 I think. Since I'm a newb at scoring, when I wasn't sure I used the lower one.

Nice gun, and nice shooting!

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Thanks! And thanks for a posting a match I could do at restrictive bay area ranges.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Well... surgery tomorrow, so this was my last chance. No way will I be in shape to shoot again before November.

Close-up of the targets:

I count 71 points. These shots were taken at 30 feet, but with targets shrunk to 60% of the normal size (see my early nerd math post). I couldn't shrink my bullets, and the LRN ammo I used leaves big lead marks and surprisingly little holes (it mostly tears the paper), so I tried to avoid abusing the scoring of higher values because the "gease ring" was right on the line rule.

I took two rounds on Target 2 because my wife started the timer and I didn't hear her, then I hurried, and I missed. So if you want to throw that one out, that's fine. This was a lot of fun either way, and man do I need to work harder with my snubby.

Roscoe: Taurus 605, 357 Magnum. Ammo: Federal 38 Special Lead Round Nose.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Nice work either way! 71 it is.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

It's not October, it's not noir, it's not a snub, and it doesn't even meet the 4" requirement. But I shot the match with my Uberti Cattleman .22 with the 4.75" barrel, just for laughs. Got a 149. Not as good as I had hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I have made the November Challenge: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903077 - get rekt son