Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is comedy?
Tom Segura is a funny and relevant comedian
Tom Segura is a crabby gen-x elitist fuckface
Goku fires a kamehameha directly into my pooper
View Results

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Marc Maron is better but I laffed at the Tom Segura special I watched on Netflix like four years ago so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Tom Segura is funny, Marc Maron is funny, Bill Burr is funny, John Mulaney is funny, Iliza Shlesinger is funny, a lot of people are funny to me in their own way because I like to laugh and Im not a miserable piece of poop with angry opinions

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
YMH used to be funnier before they moved studios. Now each one seems to run on for too long and the break between guests in some episodes sucks. Also the new producer peanut gallery isn't that great. Burnt Chrysler's podcast is funny though because it's usually just him and a comedian or two shooting the poo poo. Tom's Disgraceful special is really funny, it got me through some long flights when I had it downloaded on my ipad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
YMH wasn't bad until they just kept repeating that same jokes over and over and over and over and playing the same YouTube videos over and over and over and over and then play clips of fans reciting those videos over and over and over.

At some point you are also just listening to some rich white family argue about the nanny or whose parents are coming to stay. Then Tom goes and records his mother farting and I start listening and the cycle repeats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6VXwml7gM&t=460s

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

4 stroke gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duV7-0Sw2N0

full vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qChRiHmbVg

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He's the only one of rogans crew that is actually funny.

Joe, Ari, and Bert are all massively unfunny.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

this basically the only post i agree with in the thread.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

tom segura podcast isn't good though. it has had good moments but i don't watch it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Hell Yeah posted:

tom segura podcast isn't good though. it has had good moments but i don't watch it.

Hth most podcasts blow if you're really paying attention. They are just high quality white noise when you're doing something else that's more fun or important

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

I find them all pretty funny, but agree that Tom is probably the best standup of all of them. Although I dunno how much of the crew Ari will be anymore after dosing Bert with molly right before sober october. They all seem pretty legit mad with him.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Coming from Joe "do DMT in deprivation booth" Rogan -- the most boring middle aged man who discovered drugs when he was 45 and extols it like a wizened high schooler. I find it a little too rich.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Biohazard posted:

I find them all pretty funny, but agree that Tom is probably the best standup of all of them. Although I dunno how much of the crew Ari will be anymore after dosing Bert with molly right before sober october. They all seem pretty legit mad with him.

That's wicked stupid and cruel of Ari. Where'd they talk about that?

edit: here I think https://youtu.be/EnFAfg4gQDQ

olives black fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 4, 2019

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

The_Continental posted:

I've kind of put that dream on hold while I try to change careers. I've recoiled back to a more pedestrian hobby of learning piano. Playing out at comedy clubs just doesn't really fit with my life at the moment. I'm a full time chef and the end of the year in QLD is bananas. I'm still writing some stuff though and hope to shop it in the new year.

Sometimes a brief hiatus is the rest and life experience that we need to grow. Piano is not pedestrian, it's a beautiful instrument. I'm excited to see what you come up with. Hang in there, you got this

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Biohazard posted:

Ari seems like a POS type of friend, like their Cartman

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

olives black posted:

That's wicked stupid and cruel of Ari. Where'd they talk about that?

edit: here I think https://youtu.be/EnFAfg4gQDQ

Yeah it's int the JRE sober october. If you go to the YHM channel, Berts wife talks at length about it on the "so over october" podcast she's doing with Christina P and is super pissed about it. More-so that he did that when her kids were around, and the fact that he could have, you know, killed a guy who's on blood pressure medication and is prone to panic attacks. It's incredibly stupid, and you can tell he feels bad about it, but lacks the maturity to just say "you know what, that was really wrong and I regret doing it, I'm sorry".

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Half a Molly isn't going to kill anyone. It's lovely to do, for certain. But I thought they were all the type of dudes who pull lovely pranks.

Just YouTube Rogan getting someone in a vicious chokehold because they were arguing. He's a dickhead who is pulling both "I'm in charge" and fake high horse concern.

Rogans podcast is only okay when the guest is someone you're very interested in hear long form. His stand up sucks all the balls and he's a trash person

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Speaking of drugs, Segura has a funny story about almost dying from some insane drug cocktail.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Half a Molly isn't going to kill anyone. It's lovely to do, for certain. But I thought they were all the type of dudes who pull lovely pranks.

Just YouTube Rogan getting someone in a vicious chokehold because they were arguing. He's a dickhead who is pulling both "I'm in charge" and fake high horse concern.

Rogans podcast is only okay when the guest is someone you're very interested in hear long form. His stand up sucks all the balls and he's a trash person

You won't hear me defending Rogan, I mean I like some of the dude's podcasts, but it's mostly entertaining if you approach it while realizing that he's kind of a dolt, but at least willing to laugh at himself. But c'mon, dosing someone with a drug without them knowing is kinda beyond just being a lovely prank. Yeah it probably wouldn't kill him, but you don't know what medications someone is on, and also the dude already has issues with anxiety. If a friend did that to me now, we probably wouldn't be friends anymore.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Not arguing that just trying to talk down the "it could kill you" angle. It's not like he somehow injected him with a speedball or something

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
One of my favorite events in the comedy podcast world this past year was "Theogate."

There was this conspiracy theory that started on other podcasts that Theo Von banged Christina back when they were on Road Rules together. The slow leaks, the rumors, the spicy interview clips, the conjecture, and especially how Tom, Theo and Christina deftly dodged and deflected was all a lot of fun.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Ari always came off as that guy who is a chore to be friends with and it's kind of a relief when they aren't around. The reason they volunteer to do sober October is to get Bert to commit to 30 days of not being an alcoholic and Ari is mad enough he has to give up drugs for a month that he doses the guy he's supposed to be supporting? In front of his wife and kids? Sociopath.

Tom Segura and YMH is the superior comedian/podcast of that crew, although I do like the Bertcast and 2 bears 1 cave has been fantastic. I have a long commute and listen to these while driving and any podcast Segura is a part of, is usually the one I actually laugh out loud at.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not arguing that just trying to talk down the "it could kill you" angle. It's not like he somehow injected him with a speedball or something

That's fair.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rubellavator posted:

Speaking of drugs, Segura has a funny story about almost dying from some insane drug cocktail.

It’s on the YouTube series One Crazy Night and it’s fantastic. TJ Miller is a shithead but his bit on the same series about almost dying from his brain problems is also fantastic (and puts his shitheaderry into context, dude is missing a chunk of his brain now).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Rubellavator posted:

He took a waaaay to big swig if GHB and only survived because he was fat

I like YMH but his wife can be irritating when she over compliments guests and wont stop gushing, or when she has no inkling the guest is uncomfortable.

Though it was pretty funny when they had that super christian Patriots player on and she kept asking about locker room dick comparisons

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

sweet thursday posted:

Tom Segura is funny, Marc Maron is funny, Bill Burr is funny, John Mulaney is funny, Iliza Shlesinger is funny, a lot of people are funny to me in their own way because I like to laugh and Im not a miserable piece of poop with angry opinions

This is correct.

QueerPOC
Aug 12, 2019

Glenn Quebec posted:

This is about right. Bert should not to do stand up. Ari and Joe should only do college gigs. Bert should not do stand up.

I saw Tom twice this year and it was a great show each time. Ymh is a great podcast.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I saw Ari Shaffir in a comedy club a while back and you can just tell he's some kind of hosed up degenerate. It's not so much his material (although that plays into it), he just comes off as a bad person.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 6, 2019

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

CPL593H posted:

I saw Ari Shaffir in a comedy club a while back and you can't just tell he's some kind of hosed up degenerate. It's not so much his material (although that plays into it), he just comes off as a bad person.

drat son.

So basically I can distill my opinion to this: His podcast basically does a lot of "fan-engagement" stuff that I really dislike in lieu of just funny banter or actual content. It just seems to pander for listeners by giving them some sort of "in-joke" that makes them feel like a part of things. YMH is a huge brand and they certainly make a conscious decision to provide this sort of content. It's a feedback loop for the listeners because we've come to expect an "upvote" or "like" from everything. Radio shows like Howard Stern and (ugh) Mancow used to do the same poo poo. They use these repetitive tropes and memes to sell merch, ultimately.

There's even a wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Mom%27s_House#Terminology

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Glenn Quebec posted:

He seems pretty cool tbh

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Ari's last special (the 2 parter) was actually p good but I think I'd rather spend all day battling world-ending diarrhea in a truck stop restroom than be within a hundred feet of him for more than 5 minutes

olives black fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 5, 2019

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Glenn Quebec posted:

it definitely could if you're fat as poo poo and already close to death from high blood pressure

Tom Segura is my favorite stand up comedian but i liked his podcast a lot better when it was still in their house and guests were a rare occurrence. i don't give a poo poo about DMC's reaction to tik tok

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

His style is similar to Chad Daniels and Tommy Johnagin. So he is cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

i think good comedians have bad podcasts and vice versa as a rule of thumb

for instance - its funny that nick mullen is probably suicidal about never getting fame from standup and knowing his greatest success is a podcast about cum

Pretty much. Being funny on the fly is a different skill than stand up and most stand ups, even funny ones have lovely podcasts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've seen two of his specials, and the newer one was good for the most part. Some stuff didn't hit but it was funny for the most part, the older one was worse.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

sweet thursday posted:

I too have opinions that are positive

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Ari always came off as that guy who is a chore to be friends with and it's kind of a relief when they aren't around. The reason they volunteer to do sober October is to get Bert to commit to 30 days of not being an alcoholic and Ari is mad enough he has to give up drugs for a month that he doses the guy he's supposed to be supporting? In front of his wife and kids? Sociopath.

Tom Segura and YMH is the superior comedian/podcast of that crew, although I do like the Bertcast and 2 bears 1 cave has been fantastic. I have a long commute and listen to these while driving and any podcast Segura is a part of, is usually the one I actually laugh out loud at.

Joe Rogan can be good sometimes when he gets interesting guests, which he does relatively frequently.

Just yesterday he released one with that commander from the 'UFO Tic Tac incident' and he goes into a lot more detail about what happened - I thought the UFO-thingy (well it is a legit UFO as far as being 'unidentified') was just a thing that popped up on various sensors on their jets, but this guy actually saw thing with his own eyes and watched it disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnIG-i2WCfg
(this is the part where he talks about that specific stuff)

So yea sometimes he gets really interesting guests and he just makes sure they get to tell their story, and Joe will ask good questions and keep and open mind about some of the kookier stuff.

Although sometimes Joe obviously already thinks he knows the answers and is a lovely host. Or he gets alt-right fuckos on there and gives them a huge, validating platform when he really shouldn't.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 7, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

interwhat posted:

I too have opinions that are positive

I'LL KILL U

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Tom Segura? MORE LIKE TOM SUCK-URA!!!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Best thing to come from the podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci21fSV9YSk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched like 10-15 episodes of YMH and came away liking Christina a lot less. I thought she was an ok Stand-Up but I just don’t like her as a person in her podcast setup.

Tom has great comedy specials and I imagine he’s like a pretty good friend and an ok dad.