Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

In honor of October, the scariest month of them all, I want to hear all of the weird, true, frightening things that have happened in your life. Do you think you saw a ghost (you didn't) and it scared you? Did you almost die in a crazy accident? Did someone break into your house while you were there?

I lived just outside of Pittsburgh in college and took the bus into the city for my part-time job. One morning it's about 6 am, it's cold out, and I was all alone at the bus stop. There were usually only a few other people anyway, but it was completely empty this time. And I didn't see another soul walking on the street either.

This extremely nice car pulls up to the bus stop, rolls down the passenger side window, and a guy in a suit is looking at me.

"Hey man, where you going?"

I say I'm waiting for the bus to go to work.

"I'll drive you, you don't need to wait in the cold."

I say I'm fine, thanks, but the bus should be there soon. His car engine is still running and at this point I'm starting to get nervous.

"No I'll drive you. Where do you work? I've got time, I'll drive you. We can stop at McDonald's."

I tell him again that I'm fine, the bus will be here soon and I'm sure he has a schedule to keep.

"No, I'm driving you to work. Get in. Get in, man. It'll save you so much time. I'm just trying to be a nice guy. You should really get in. I'm not a murderer or anything. You really need to drive in with me. We can get coffee together."

I was terrified at this point because there was still nobody around, the bus was still at least 10 minutes away, and this dude was starting to get angry. And the weird thing about not being a murderer was so strange to say.I tell him he should just get to work because the bus should be there soon and I've seen cops bust people for parking by this sidewalk.

"Your loss, man. You try and do a nice thing and nobody trusts you. I'm not a murderer or anything, but you'd rather ride the bus. Fine by me."

And then he drove off. I felt like I was going to throw up at this point, all the adrenaline hit me and I started wondering just what the hell he was going to do. I watched the news for the next few days, thinking that he'd get busted for trying to kidnap somebody. I am not an attractive man, and I definitely wasn't then, but I did look like I was about 15 years old. So I started wondering if he was some kind of pedophile out cruising, looking for a victim and thinking I was a high school kid or something. I thought about calling the cops later that day but I couldn't remember what kind of car it was, not even the color, and I definitely couldn't remember the license plate.

It's entirely possible I completely misread the whole situation, but he was getting so angry and frustrated at me, and he kept talking about getting breakfast and things like that. I thought about it a lot for the next few weeks and even used a different bus stop for a few days to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There is a notorious corner on a dark road near my house, and it is said that one night a man saw headlights following him.

He was alone on the road or so he thought.

Even stranger he could hear no car sound from this other vehicle.

Eventually it came close, then closer still, then so close as to ram his vehicle.

He panicked and swerved, and crashed into a ditch on the side of the road.

The lights of the "phantom" car then vanished into the distance.

He fell into unconsciousness.

When he came to, his leg was fractured terribly and from the open wound a bat flew out.

He then passed out from shock and woke up in hospital.

To this day no one know if this ever happened.

Even now, so many years later, that corner is still known as a dangerous corner at night.

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 4, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The house I lived in as a kid had a pool, with one of those motorized retractable pool covers. The motor for this was underneath a metal lid. One night, I heard the lid outside lifting up and then shutting itself closed, over and over again. This freaked me out greatly because when I peeked outside with my flashlight, I could actually see it lifting up a bit and then closing with a bang. I actually did have enough courage back then to get close and check it out though. Turns out a little mole had gotten himself stuck in there and was trying to lift the lid to get out. I helped him out. Much cuter than the deadite that I thought would grab me.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I was driving home in a residential neighborhood and the car in front of me was going at a snail's pace. I wasn't tailgating him but I wasn't too far away from them either. This is standard behavior for this road, too so nothing was particularly out of the ordinary. Except the car in front of me slows down even further until it comes to a complete stop. I had to stop too since there was only a single lane of traffic in both directions. I'm confused and annoyed and then this guy comes out of the car looking like that paranoid from Stranger Things, bathrobe and all only dirtier and crazier.

Dude looks pissed as hell and I'm freaking out too, but I back up almost immediately and drive around into the oncoming traffic lane to get away before he came any closer. And I start speeding down the road cause I have no idea if this guy is gonna try and follow me home or not. My driveway goes down and behind my house so as I'm checking all my rear view mirrors to make sure no one grabbed line of sight, I pull in and turn my car off and just sit in silence for a bit, waiting and hoping this guy hosed off. Only later did I realize that I probably should have circled around and just driven out of the area, but I was certain that he hadn't been able to follow where I went.

My parents got me a taser for Christmas that year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was on vacation in Amsterdam and my sleep schedule was completely hosed, so I was walking in the middle of the night. My hotel was bordering the red light district but I was walking closer to the main square. I pass a corner and there is a large man standing around it, just loitering, who I ignore, and I cross the street because that's just the route I was walking.

The guy starts walking and crosses behind me and he speaks with a thick Eastern European accent, which in a movie you would say is Russian but I don't know there's a lot of eaten European countries with that kind of accent. "Hey man, you looking for something? Trying to buy something?"

I continue walking at the same pace and reply "No I'm just walking for exercise. I'm too wide awake because of time zones"

"A lot of interesting things you can buy in Amsterdam"

I just don't reply and keep walking but he increases his pace a little and says "Hey what you think of Trump?"

Charlottesville literally happened eight hours ago. I just reply non committally "America is really divided right now".

"You hear about Charlottesville?"

I keep walking and reply "America has a lot of problems with racism right now. It can be dangerous." I am kind of starting to panic. He's basically two feet to my right now.

"The real problem..." he says "are the antifa. Violent thugs".

"Well they're dealing with Nazis" I say.

Then he yells "The Antifa ARE THE loving NAZIS"

I just start walking really fast and he's yelling "Hey where are you going?!" and suddenly there's a really loud banging on a window across the street, a sex worker in one of those glass doors they stand in to attract people. It's like way past when they are usually out cause there's nobody else walking around here. She's trying to get my or both of our attention but when I turn back to the dude following me, he was loving gone, I guess because now there is a witness. I walk slowly to the next street making sure I'm in view of that window the whole time and see a different dude at an ATM. He says hi in an Australian accent and I warn him I just got followed by a dude. Here I'm like three blocks from the main public square and he's like "Wild story dude" and is going that direction so I just get to the public square with him and he continues to wherever he was going and I stay there in plain view of cameras and occasional officers until morning tourists start coming out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lol op got scared at a perfectly normal kidnap murder rapist.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did a fart and a poo poo came out and it was invisible and i sprayed fly spray near my rear end and it died and i knew it did beacuse a small pile of ash appeared where it fell

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I had a job that involved me ocassionally going into gross basements and taking samples of stuff there. One time I had to go to an abandoned building with my coworker and do some work in it's basement. There was no electricity, and all we had were our cell phone flashlights. It was also windowless, so just pitch black inside.

I get the great idea to scare my coworker by hiding in a closet and popping out screaming. So, I go inside, close the door, and wait until I hear her walking nearby. I grab the handle to open the door and make my grand prank happen, and it's loving locked. My coworker shrieks because there's a banging noise coming from the closet in an abandoned basement and gets the gently caress out of dodge. I am absolutely panicking because I'm trapped in a tiny, dark space and can't get out. I know it wasn't rational given the circumstances (I had my phone after all) but in my panic I was sure I'd die if I didn't get out.

Eventually my coworker returns looking for me and I explain my situation. She's super pissed of course, but tries to let me out. Except, it's locked on her side too. It's some kind of security door and needs a key. I'm not worried about dying anymore but I know if we have to call the Fire Dept to help I will absolutely lose my job over it.

In a singular demonstration that God, in fact, exists, I shine my flashlight around the room in desperation. There, on a shelf, is the key. I manage to slide it under the door to my coworker, and it loving fits and opens the door.

I bought her lunch and a pound of gourmet coffee out of extreme gratitude and to buy her silence. It remains one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life and I hope to never top it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Five years ago my wife almost killed our entire family.

I woke up in the middle of the night because our animals were being really weird and disruptive. The cats were nonstop clawing furniture, and my super tame old dog was pawing at the front door and whimpering, which was also strange because he's used a dog door for years.

When I got into the main hall way, I could smell gas like someone was spraying it right in my face. I was feeling light-headed, and I don't know if that was from being sleepy or bc I was breathing gas. I managed to get to the kitchen, where I saw that two of the burners on the stove were cranked all the way on. The pets were trying to wake us up I guess.

I shut them off, opened every window in the house and woke up my wife and kids. She started crying because she said I didn't look angry while I was waking everyone up I just looked scared and that freaked her out.

Later on, she told me that she had a dream that she'd left the stove on that night, and she remembers turning off the burners. I guess that's what made her get up and turn on the stove. She thought she was turning it off.

... I still tease her about it occasionally :)

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The baby heart monitor things that they put on my wife's belly in the delivery room really loving sucked and screamed "BABY DEAD" every 10 minutes or so. The midwife would come in and jiggle them around a bit and the heartbeats started showing again. It was pretty fun and not stressful at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"BABY DEAD. PRESS START TO CONTINUE"

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ehe he he he

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 4, 2019

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

"BABY DEAD. PRESS START TO CONTINUE"

In america you'd probably have to insert coin to get the thing working again

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Icochet posted:

The baby heart monitor things that they put on my wife's belly in the delivery room really loving sucked and screamed "BABY DEAD" every 10 minutes or so. The midwife would come in and jiggle them around a bit and the heartbeats started showing again. It was pretty fun and not stressful at all.

Press f to pay respects and also the hospital.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKKKfItAgc

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 4, 2019

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I turned 10 I got a TV for my birthday, probably only 12 or 13 inches, but it was the most exciting thing for me because I could finally play video games whenever and how long I wanted without my sister cutting me off to watch poo poo on MTV.

So the following day I marathoned my favorite Genesis games and, some that I now realize where complete crap, as the sun started to set and my thumbs were sufficiently sore, I decided to call it quits.

I left the TV on for noise with the 6 o'clock new running, feeling a bit like an adult really, and leafed through a buyers guide issue of some long dead gaming magazine trying to figure out what I would rent that weekend.
At some point I feel asleep with the magazine on my face, I awoke some hours later to a horrible sound coming from the TV, I looked up above the top edge at the window my bed sat under to see it was completely dark outside, the sound from the tv grew louder and more horrible.

Slowly I felt around for the remote hoping that if I turned it off, it would stay off, and after what felt like hours I found it.
Unfortunately before hitting the power button a morbid curiosity overtook me and with my other hand I lifted the magazine from eyes to see what this nightmarish choir was...

It was the Sinbad Show!!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I had an old boombox with an antenna that half broke off, leaving a sharpened metal spike.

It was in a dark room and I reached over to pick something up, and it hit my inner eye just missing the eyeball, with enough force that if it was half an inch over I'd have shish kabob'd it.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
For reasons I cannot recall, my brother and I were sleeping in a different area of the house than normal, sharing a bedroom. It was raining and stormy outside when I woke up, needing to go to the bathroom. So as not to wake my brother, I tiptoed out of the room, barefoot.

But even as I was sneaking out of the room I started to experience a growing feeling of dread - an irrational certainty that something horrifying was about to happen to me. At the same time I felt like everything that was about to happen HAD to happen, that I had no choice but to proceed along this path.

I walked out into the corridor, toward the bathroom and opened the door.

Waiting in the darkness before me, at the far end of the bathroom, stood the silhouette of a tall, muscled figure with long stringy hair. The figure was utterly midnight black even against the darkness, blotting out the far window, somehow clearly defined even in the darkness. The moment I saw it, it raised its arm toward me.

Strangely, in that one moment, the sense of fear and dread was utterly gone - there was only an automatic reaction from me. I KNEW what I had to do, and reached for the light switch and turned it on.

The light came on, and in the same instant the apparition vanished. The sense of inevitability disappeared, replaced by a sick feeling of fear that welled up within me as it hit me what I'd just experienced. After using the facilities I went back to the bedroom.

My brother was awake - somehow when he saw me he knew something was wrong. I guess I must have been really pale or had a frightened expression. I told him what I saw and settled back to uneasy sleep.

I never saw the shadowy apparition again, but I hated going through that part of the house ever afterwards. I could swear I could always feel a cold breeze blowing from beneath that bathroom door...

(Note: This story is true to my experience. However, I remember, years later, reading an article about Shadow People and hypnogogia/sleep walking - unfortunately I can no longer find it. However, it explained everything I'd seen and felt to a tee - feelings of dread, being half-awake but in a dreamlike state that can result in hallucinations. Some of my family had stages of their life - at a similar age to mine when this happened - where they would sleepwalk. It's not a stretch to think I was doing the same thing.)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Went to India to live for a summer as part of an exchange program. Being poor, I had to book one of the cheaper flights, which resulted in me landing in Delhi at about 2am local time. Little to no info was given to me by my program other than “hail a taxi at the airport and tell them to take you to this address.” I go to the taxi stand and find an attendant who can speak English well enough and he flags down a taxi driver who clearly speaks no English but seems friendly enough. About 20 minutes into the ~1 hour drive from the airport to the house I would be staying at, the driver pulls the taxi off the highway,stops the engine, and exits the vehicle without a word. He starts walking down the highway shoulder for about 100 ft, and I’m freaking the gently caress out thinking he is in cahoots with some highwaymen, etc. and that I’m about to be robbed and left for dead, etc. He then stops walking, turns to the side, and starts peeing.

I have never breathed a bigger sigh of relief at a man peeing on the side of the highway.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I am sure somebody can explain it, but I bought this pc-in-a-box cheapo special that came with two awful chinese speakers. I had used them for about a week before I ponied up the money and bought a different set at walmart.

I got home, turned on some music and did some chores. I unpacked the new spears and turned off the cheapo speakers. Except they didn't shut off. I could hear muted music still coming out of the speakers.

So i unplugged the power lead and disconnected them from the pc. I held it up to my ear and could hear very quiet warbly voices coming from one of the speakers. I got goosebumps and sat there for a good 30-40 seconds before the voices faded away.

Freaked me right out because schizophrenia runs in my family, but years later I am not crazy. Its everybody else

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Willfrey posted:

I am sure somebody can explain it, but I bought this pc-in-a-box cheapo special that came with two awful chinese speakers. I had used them for about a week before I ponied up the money and bought a different set at walmart.

I got home, turned on some music and did some chores. I unpacked the new spears and turned off the cheapo speakers. Except they didn't shut off. I could hear muted music still coming out of the speakers.

So i unplugged the power lead and disconnected them from the pc. I held it up to my ear and could hear very quiet warbly voices coming from one of the speakers. I got goosebumps and sat there for a good 30-40 seconds before the voices faded away.

Freaked me right out because schizophrenia runs in my family, but years later I am not crazy. Its everybody else

Capacitors can store the energy of tortured cries of abused labour forces for up to 60 minutes

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Willfrey posted:

My grandma had a Hammond electric organ that would pickup cb radio. You could hear like trucker ghosts randomly throughout the day regardless if it was turned on or not.

She neglected to tell me that until I heard it in the middle of the night when I was staying at her house.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Yesterday, late at night as I was about to go to bed, I was surprised by a mouse running along the kitchen counter and shouted in fear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

We lived out in the country with a lot of forest nearby when I was younger. The first time me and my sister stayed home alone for a few nights, I was stifling not to be a bit spooked after our got dark, but fortunately nothing happened.

Until after we went to bed, we heard this creepy animal noise, nothing that we could place from what lived around there. We got up, peeked out in the yard and saw nothing, then went back to bed. Same thing a few minutes later, then a few more minutes after that, we were pretty much freaking out by that point and about ready to make some panicked phone calls to mom and dad.

Finally I happened to still be hunting around the next time it happened [only read ahead if you want spooked :sweatdrop:]and it was our new computer's Amazonia screensaver occasionally making loud animal noises because that's what screensavers did back in the '90s :blush::ms:

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Probably the scariest thing that had ever happened to me, and hopefully will remain that way, was when I almost drowned in the Chattahoochee river. Shooting the Hooch as it's called in Georgia was something you just have to do while there and my friends and I decided to do it before I moved across the country. Basically you get in an inner tube and get totally wasted as you float down the river (drinking whole tubing was recently ruled legal and is heavily encouraged.) I had just found out I was pregnant so I wasn't drinking and I hate to imagine what would have happened if I had been poo poo-faced.

Anyway, since we were a big group we decided that we would use our lifejackets to tie our tubes together to keep from getting separated. No big deal, I know how to swim. Well it turns out swimming in a fast moving river is much different than swimming in a pool, which I quickly learned after misjudging the depth and dismounting during a 'you can totally hang out and swim here' part of the river.

I'll never forget how terrified I was when the current swept me under and I struggled to surface. Everything I had learned about swimming left my mind and was replaced with sheer panic. I tried desperately to cling to a friend's tube only for the current to push me over a particularly rocky area, where I learned later that I had bashed and sliced my knee on. No one knew I was in trouble because I couldn't ask for help (turns out you're completely unable to speak when desperately trying to stay afloat.) At one point I reached out to a stranger on the shore line but he just gave me a thumbs up, thinking I was having a swim, before I was taken under again.

I don't really remember how I got out of there, but I do remember climbing up onto a log and clinging to it for a while as I sobbed and tried to regain my composure. The rest of our group didn't fare well either and had all become separated with another friend having experienced something similar as I. When we finally regrouped (I had worked up the courage to swim through a calmer part if the water to reach them) all lifejackets went back on. There was no way to actually exit the river as it was bordered on both sides by elevated private properties, so we had no choice but to finish the float in an awkward silence.

When we got to the extraction point I saw that other families has tubed down the river with small children. The thought of putting my child in that river made me feel nauseous and I was shocked that this was advertised as a fun, family activity.

This happened last Memorial Day weekend but since then I have been too terrified to get close to another body of water, even swimming pools manned by lifeguards (which the river lacked, obviously.) If I do find myself having no choice but to get into a river or lake again, you can bet your rear end I will have a lifejacket on.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Having shot the hooch myself a few times, was this after a large rain? It was really boring most times, but I went the day after a huge storm came through and that poo poo was crazy. Same thing with the Ichetucknee outside of Gainesville Fl.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

quote:

True Scary Stories From Your Life

I keep waking up.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

In 1987, when I was six years old, I went to a Milwaukee Brewers game with my dad and his brothers (four uncles) and sister (1 aunt) and all their kids ( a shitload of cousins). The cousin closest to my age who was there was J, who was two years older than me. At one point during the game, J and I had to go to the bathroom, and we went together without an adult (and the adults were aware). We do our thing, and as we're leaving, there's this creepy biker guy who gets all friendly with us and juts out his hand and is all, "Hi there, what's your name!" I remember he had these weird brown spots on his hand, and to this day i have no idea what they were - they weren't like liver spots or anything.

I was totally a "never talk to strangers" type of kid, but my cousin J. tells him all kinds of poo poo, "I'm J! and this is my cousin, Labya! We're here with our families!" like totally oversharing. This stressed me out a ton and I get really angry and left my older cousin in the men's room with the creepy biker (there were constantly other people coming and going, so I didn't feel like I was out of line at the time.)

I get back to my dad and his brothers, and they're all like "where's J?" and I'm like, "He's talking to a really creepy guy in the bathroom." All four uncles and J's mom just shoot straight up and book it to the bathroom. I don't really remember anything after that, they came back, J. was fine, we stayed for the rest of the ballgame, so I assume no one got molested.

Anyways, years later, when I'm in 6th grade, I found out that my cousin J. was literally retarded, and like, no one told us 'cuz they were afraid he'd be made fun of or something. And then it makes sense why he talked to the biker in the bathroom at a baseball game, and why his mom fuckin' hated me. I think when I found out, I even said something to my mom like, "I wish someone had told me, then I wouldn't have left him alone with that biker!"

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabyaMynora posted:

In 1987, when I was six years old, I went to a Milwaukee Brewers game with my dad and his brothers (four uncles) and sister (1 aunt) and all their kids ( a shitload of cousins). The cousin closest to my age who was there was J, who was two years older than me. At one point during the game, J and I had to go to the bathroom, and we went together without an adult (and the adults were aware). We do our thing, and as we're leaving, there's this creepy biker guy who gets all friendly with us and juts out his hand and is all, "Hi there, what's your name!" I remember he had these weird brown spots on his hand, and to this day i have no idea what they were - they weren't like liver spots or anything.

I was totally a "never talk to strangers" type of kid, but my cousin J. tells him all kinds of poo poo, "I'm J! and this is my cousin, Labya! We're here with our families!" like totally oversharing. This stressed me out a ton and I get really angry and left my older cousin in the men's room with the creepy biker (there were constantly other people coming and going, so I didn't feel like I was out of line at the time.)

I get back to my dad and his brothers, and they're all like "where's J?" and I'm like, "He's talking to a really creepy guy in the bathroom." All four uncles and J's mom just shoot straight up and book it to the bathroom. I don't really remember anything after that, they came back, J. was fine, we stayed for the rest of the ballgame, so I assume no one got molested.

Anyways, years later, when I'm in 6th grade, I found out that my cousin J. was literally retarded, and like, no one told us 'cuz they were afraid he'd be made fun of or something. And then it makes sense why he talked to the biker in the bathroom at a baseball game, and why his mom fuckin' hated me. I think when I found out, I even said something to my mom like, "I wish someone had told me, then I wouldn't have left him alone with that biker!"

the saddest :hmmyes:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The other night I read a bunch of stuff about aliens and didn't get much sleep. Why do that? I don't even believe in aliens.

THE UNEXPLAINED

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I was care-taking my parents place for the winter a good 15 years ago. They head south for the winter, I got to babysit the house. Middle of 18 acres, 600' gravel driveway, to a dirt road, and another couple miles to the county road. Middle of the forest. Quiet, isolated, and dark. Parents had taken off just a couple days previous.

8 o'clock at night, making dinner, when a car comes down the driveway. Just headlights, can't see anything else. This is extremely unusual. In the 16+ years since I have lived here this was only the first of two unannounced visits. It just doesn't happen, much less at night time.

This car is coming down the driveway, and I'm all "huh, wtf?, this is new.." But the car doesn't come to a stop in front of the house, or the garage, or the parking area in front of the house and garage; about 100' from the house it veers off the driveway off to a path/road that goes to our gardens and orchard, shoots between them and heads off into the tree line. Literally driving into the deeper part of our forest. Brain alarms are going off full bore.

I flip my gourd. I'm figuring meth-heads, stoned out teens, or something that has come to rob the place. I unlock a shotgun, load it, turn on the flood lights, grab a phone and go outside to a dark corner at the edge of the house.

"I got a loaded shotgun and I'm about to call 911! Who the gently caress is out there?" I can see the car headlights about 100' into the tree line.

"Oh, hey, is that you IJ? We left some tools behind and need to pick them up for another job tomorrow."

It was my logger neighbor, the most super nice peaceful harmony with the earth guy you can imagine. A really good person. The parents had failed to tell me that they hired him to take out a load of logs that week, he'd been there all day while I was away at work and left some chains and gear behind. I had no clue. He was just picking up some tools.

I apologized for pulling the gun on him, and asked him to give me a heads up phone call in the future.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 5, 2019

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

1redflag posted:

Having shot the hooch myself a few times, was this after a large rain? It was really boring most times, but I went the day after a huge storm came through and that poo poo was crazy. Same thing with the Ichetucknee outside of Gainesville Fl.

I honestly have no idea. I have heard that different parts of the river are calmer than others, like shooting the hooch in Helen is a generally peaceful experience. I cant remember where we went but I do remember it being out in the sticks somewhere. We had a groupon so that's where we went.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

LabyaMynora posted:

im the biker

naem
May 29, 2011

:nws: https://youtu.be/_DsZivjop_s :nms:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've posted this before so I'll try to keep it brief.

When I was young I lived in the country and my grand parents lived across a couple farm fields from us. I would walk or bike there all the time, knew the farmer that owned the land and would wave to him if I saw him riding his tractor or what have you.

One winter day I decided to walk over to visit and the snow was deeper than I expected, up past my knees at times, and made the hike a little tough.

... And that's when I saw him.
Walking towards me along the field line was a very large man. Dressed in what looked like an all silver full body snowsuit, and a full face, all white helmet. Like a motorcycle or snowmobile helmet...but ALL white. Facemask, everything.

What was more, he was BOOKING through the snow like it wasn't even there. Just monster strides at a powerwalk pace.

I waved to him, he was a ways away from me but obviously if I could see him and he was headed my way, he could have seen me in my stupid 90's jacket and all, in the snow.... And he did nothing. Except keep trucking.
...so I ran through the snow to the road. And kept running to my grandparents house.
And they weren't home.
So I called my parents and my dad came and got me, pissed as hell. But when I told him what I'd seen and promised I wasn't bullshitting my dad did something I've never seen before or since.

He got his shotgun, took the dog, locked the doors and told me to stay with my mom and call the cops if I heard shots.

When he got back maybe half hour or so later he said he found tracks that doubled back on themselves but lead nowhere, and were so far apart that he had to almost leap between them to match the pace. My dad is about 6'2. That is not a short stride.

He drove around the country 'block' to look and see if there were snowmobile tracks leading into the field, anything like that. ... Nothing.

What I didn't tell them is that past the walkin dude, in the tree line along the field, I saw what looked for all the world, and I know this sounds stupid as poo poo, but it's true, I saw what looked like part of the goddamn lunar lander that had pine boughs pulled down and shoved up against it.

I walked those fields for years before and after this and I swear to you that nothing that looks like a lunar loving lander was up there any time else.

So long story short I saw a time traveling cosmonaut or some poo poo in a random country field in Wisconsin in the mid 90's and ran the gently caress away.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

One time, years ago, like around 2002, me and my ex were driving home super late at night. Nobody else on the road. Then a cop car pulls out from another street and starts following us closely. We were bracing to get pulled over. But instead the cop car turned off its headlights and vanished into the night. Fuckin ghost cop

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I have like $75,000 in student loans

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I felt two tiny tiny lumps in my scrotum.

The doctor said this was normal, although unfortunate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Icochet posted:

I felt two tiny tiny lumps in my scrotum.

The doctor said this was normal, although unfortunate

But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci's scrotum