Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When my mom was a teenager, her parents had lots of friends that would come over for dinner parties; Granddad was in the Navy so everyone kept close touch after they left. So one night my mom's in bed, maybe 15, 16 or so, and the party is downstairs. One of the husbands came up to her room, opened the door, and took off all his clothes.

She coughed, or sneezed, or made some noise to indicate she was awake, and instead of going in, he...put his clothes back on and went down to the party. When my mom told her mom about it the next day, upset and crying, her mom told her not to tell her father, because they were 'such nice people' and grandma didn't want them uninvited to any future dinners.

I was doing a delivery in a bad neighborhood, and waiting in my van, when a crackhead came up to the passenger side and tried to open the door. Keep in mind I was in the driver seat and the van was running, just in park. The dude went around the entire van, trying every door and getting more angry; when he reached the driver side door, he looked right through me, and then walked away as if this was totally normal. I was close to pissing myself thinking I'd hit him if I tried to speed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

When I was young, I was abducted by two guys and driven to upstate New York to a cabin in the woods. I was there for three days before the police swarmed the place and found me, took them to jail, and flew me home. They found out where i was because the guys drove by another girl's house several times while there and apparently she saw them. I was told she had a restraining order on one of the guys and called the police and they were able to nail down where i was because the cabin was a property owned by someone in one of the guys' families. This was during a small period of time where i happened to be staying with my birth family. I didn't live there much after 13 because my father is a sociopath (has narcissistic personality disorder) and was very abusive. The first thing he did when he saw me when i got back home was call me a slut. And that was pretty much my introduction to sex.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well.... I don't think anyone's gonna top that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

DamnitGannet posted:

Probably the scariest thing that had ever happened to me, and hopefully will remain that way, was when I almost drowned in the Chattahoochee river. Shooting the Hooch as it's called in Georgia was something you just have to do while there and my friends and I decided to do it before I moved across the country. Basically you get in an inner tube and get totally wasted as you float down the river (drinking whole tubing was recently ruled legal and is heavily encouraged.) I had just found out I was pregnant so I wasn't drinking and I hate to imagine what would have happened if I had been poo poo-faced.

Anyway, since we were a big group we decided that we would use our lifejackets to tie our tubes together to keep from getting separated. No big deal, I know how to swim. Well it turns out swimming in a fast moving river is much different than swimming in a pool, which I quickly learned after misjudging the depth and dismounting during a 'you can totally hang out and swim here' part of the river.

I'll never forget how terrified I was when the current swept me under and I struggled to surface. Everything I had learned about swimming left my mind and was replaced with sheer panic. I tried desperately to cling to a friend's tube only for the current to push me over a particularly rocky area, where I learned later that I had bashed and sliced my knee on. No one knew I was in trouble because I couldn't ask for help (turns out you're completely unable to speak when desperately trying to stay afloat.) At one point I reached out to a stranger on the shore line but he just gave me a thumbs up, thinking I was having a swim, before I was taken under again.

I don't really remember how I got out of there, but I do remember climbing up onto a log and clinging to it for a while as I sobbed and tried to regain my composure. The rest of our group didn't fare well either and had all become separated with another friend having experienced something similar as I. When we finally regrouped (I had worked up the courage to swim through a calmer part if the water to reach them) all lifejackets went back on. There was no way to actually exit the river as it was bordered on both sides by elevated private properties, so we had no choice but to finish the float in an awkward silence.

When we got to the extraction point I saw that other families has tubed down the river with small children. The thought of putting my child in that river made me feel nauseous and I was shocked that this was advertised as a fun, family activity.

This happened last Memorial Day weekend but since then I have been too terrified to get close to another body of water, even swimming pools manned by lifeguards (which the river lacked, obviously.) If I do find myself having no choice but to get into a river or lake again, you can bet your rear end I will have a lifejacket on.

Sounds like you learned a lot about living and a little about love.

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Grape posted:

:hmmyes:

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well.... I don't think anyone's gonna top that.

Grape posted:

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, I don't believe you

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

That is unfortunately a true story of mine. If you don't believe me I have plenty other equally horrifying experiences i can share. Some of us were not blessed with a good life. But your disbelief doesn't change the facts nor the issues i have because of what ive been through. Thats what is really sad about your comment.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Shoes posted:

That is unfortunately a true story of mine. If you don't believe me I have plenty other equally horrifying experiences i can share. Some of us were not blessed with a good life. But your disbelief doesn't change the facts nor the issues i have because of what ive been through. Thats what is really sad about your comment.

I wasnt doubting you. I didn't actually care about your story. Why did you think I was talking about you?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

roarpower posted:

I wasnt doubting you. I didn't actually care about your story. Why did you think I was talking about you?

you empty quoted someone that responded to my story.

Not sure what is worse: disbelief or not caring. so thanks ...for.. that?

Also, im pretty sensitive when it comes to talking about trauma.

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 8, 2019

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did not. I didn't read it either. You OK?

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

roarpower posted:

I did not. I didn't read it either. You OK?

yeh, its cool. thanks.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Shoes posted:

yeh, its cool. thanks.

just because I didn't read it doesn't mean no one cares. I am a horrible rear end in a top hat. there are several people in General Bullshit who will help you

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

roarpower posted:

I did not.

You did. Like 2 minutes ago. I fear you may be the one who is not okay.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phyzzle posted:

You did. Like 2 minutes ago. I fear you may be the one who is not okay.

yeah! no poo poo dude. I am a broken person

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

OK, lets just let it go now. We are all goons here so we are all a bit broken. :P

No worries.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Shoes posted:

OK, lets just let it go now. We are all goons here so we are all a bit broken. :P

No worries.

:wink:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Jfc goon be good to each other, don’t need the reports for bullshit nonsense. Gnight

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

not sure why anyone would report him for that but ok.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
There should be a function where you report to the mods about a post, but not in like a "POST BAD!!!" way.
But like a button to just report weirdness, and then the mods come and make a funny face at the post and go and tell their friends about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goobish posted:

I know this is going to come off as crazy, but it's the scariest thing that's happened to me as far as spooky poo poo goes.

I was just playing an online game, on a game where no one knew me, and I suddenly had a private message from someone. I had the name "Kali Shakti" in the game, and at first This person just complimented the name. They proceeded to talk about something very personal that I had just been through. An abortion. They knew details that is impossible for anyone to know. I no longer was sure if this was a person. Then it started talking in some kind of spiritual jargon. In poetic form and as a message for me.

So I loving ran and got my boyfriend at the time because what the gently caress. I was completely freaked out. He looked at it and he started flipping the gently caress out. I wasn't thinking right and I turned off the computer.

My boyfriend was flipping out bad. He kept shouting and crying saying it was a message from God. I asked him what he saw.

What he told me was completely different than what I saw, but still in a poetic form and a message. But a message for him. He kept crying and pacing around repeating weird poo poo about God.

When I tried to tell him what it said to me, the breath went out of me. Just like something was sucking the air out of me when i tried to say the words. My heart would beat fast too.

I only told a few people, for obvious reasons. And each time I tried to recite the message, the air would suck right out of me again. So i stopped loving saying the words.

The messages weren't that loving profound or anything, but how did this person know all this poo poo about us.
It was your boyfriend doing it because he wanted you to feel guilty, he was trying to manipulate you

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It was your boyfriend doing it because he wanted you to feel guilty, he was trying to manipulate you

I like how they were more concerned that someone knew a secret of theirs than they were about the unseeable force that was literally silencing them with magic powers.

"Yeah I literally can't say specific words, definitely not a mental illness because it happened to my boyfriend too so it has to be other-worldly, but what's really weird is that this magical being knew stuff I didn't tell it"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PinheadSlim posted:

I like how they were more concerned that someone knew a secret of theirs than they were about the unseeable force that was literally silencing them with magic powers.

"Yeah I literally can't say specific words, definitely not a mental illness because it happened to my boyfriend too so it has to be other-worldly, but what's really weird is that this magical being knew stuff I didn't tell it"

Getting shortness of breath and not being able to get words out isn't supernatural, it's a common trauma response

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Well the hosed up thing about that scenario is he would have had to get/pay someone else to do it. That was the only computer in the house. It could be true though, he was sociopath I'm pretty sure.

Still doesn't explain how they knew where I was and who I was. It was right after character creation in game. But I know technology is basically sorcery, so maybe they tracked me somehow?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Goobish posted:

Well the hosed up thing about that scenario is he would have had to get/pay someone else to do it. That was the only computer in the house. It could be true though, he was sociopath I'm pretty sure.

Still doesn't explain how they knew where I was and who I was. It was right after character creation in game. But I know technology is basically sorcery, so maybe they tracked me somehow?

He probably just called one of his equally terrible friends and gave them your user name after feeding them information.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Sounds more like the handiwork of God

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

brb, going to go start a "God is a Gamer" line of XXXXXXL t-shirts. Maybe use a cross as a controller's d-pad or something, I don't know.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the millenials at work were talking about the highlander franchise and werent aware that there were movies

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

My Shoes posted:

When I was young, I was abducted by two guys and driven to upstate New York to a cabin in the woods.

JFC that's horrific. Goes quite a bit beyond just a scary story. :stonk:

Mine's pretty tame by comparison: In 1996 I was on a late-night flight to Kansas City. Most everyone else is asleep and I'm listening to the cockpit chatter through the headphones plugged into the seat console. I hear, "United 850, is this an emergency?"

"Yes."

Then I feel the plane drop sharply and descending quickly. The cockpit chatter goes silent. I summon a flight attendant and ask what's up, she doesn't know or won't say.

We level out and the captain announces that the cockpit windshield has cracked and we've dropped to 10,000 feet and slowed down in case it shatters.

We land about 20 minutes later and as I'm disembarking I peek into the cockpit and holy poo poo, that window was like a spiderweb of cracks.

(I say 850 but I've long forgotten the actual flight number. And yes, back then you really could listen to cockpit chatter, was a lot of fun to figure out what it all meant.)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lossy Compression posted:

JFC that's horrific. Goes quite a bit beyond just a scary story. :stonk:

Mine's pretty tame by comparison: In 1996 I was on a late-night flight to Kansas City. Most everyone else is asleep and I'm listening to the cockpit chatter through the headphones plugged into the seat console. I hear, "United 850, is this an emergency?"

"Yes."

Then I feel the plane drop sharply and descending quickly. The cockpit chatter goes silent. I summon a flight attendant and ask what's up, she doesn't know or won't say.

We level out and the captain announces that the cockpit windshield has cracked and we've dropped to 10,000 feet and slowed down in case it shatters.

We land about 20 minutes later and as I'm disembarking I peek into the cockpit and holy poo poo, that window was like a spiderweb of cracks.

(I say 850 but I've long forgotten the actual flight number. And yes, back then you really could listen to cockpit chatter, was a lot of fun to figure out what it all meant.)

I thought you could still a few years ago, they must’ve stopped that. But I agree it was real fun listening.

I had an engine blow on take off at Reagan National. We did a quick u turn. Goose or something iirc

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There was one airline - United or American I think - that still let you listen to the cockpit chatter until fairly recently, like I remember doing it about 5 years ago. I wish it would make a comeback, I loved listening to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought I knocked someone up once, that was pretty scary, my life lacks excitement.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i've told the story here before so i'll keep it brief but it was pretty scary when i was taking a poo poo at the mall and a small elderly asian man broke into the stall, dropped trou and started blasting diarrhea all over the wall next to me as i was frantically trying to wipe up and gtfo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

i've told the story here before so i'll keep it brief but it was pretty scary when i was taking a poo poo at the mall and a small elderly asian man broke into the stall, dropped trou and started blasting diarrhea all over the wall next to me as i was frantically trying to wipe up and gtfo

When you gotta go, you gotta go. Did he like kick the door in or something? That's insane.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in the extended Chicago suburbs, and our town was basically right at the end of the sprawl where, if you left town in the directions away from Chicago, you'd start hitting endless cornfields. Sprinkled among these cornfields are dozens of tiny, desolate, ~100-ish population villages that time forgot. Back in my high school days, my friends and I would often cruise around at night, looking for adventure because there honestly just wasn't that much to do. Sometimes we would drive out into the country and explore these little towns. Most of them were really mundane, but one in particular had an eerie vibe and creeped us out several times to the point where we made a thing out of going there every so often as some sort of mild thrill.

This town was connected to a state route via just two two-lane roads about a mile long. The next nearest village is 6 miles away, with the nearest town with anything resembling modern life about 10 miles away. It has one tiny school, about 60 houses, a very tiny "main street" area, a cemetery, and creepy church on the outskirts. The first night my friends and I ever cruised through, it was around midnight. The vibe was off to begin with, and we saw a big dark building in the distance that was just a giant silhouette due to having absolutely no power or lights on. We approached slowly trying to figure out what it was. When we got close enough to realize it was a church, the cross on the steeple suddenly illuminated in an eerie red glow, giving it a satanic look. Why was it lit with red lights, and why was it off and randomly turned on after midnight? Why would it be on some sort of motion sensor and why would it be the only thing that turned on in the whole building? A few moments later a creepy, rednecky old truck emerged from a thick, foresty road and seemed to follow us out of town until we were on the main state road again heading away, where we saw it turn back toward the village.

A while later we returned. We were on a ghost hunting kick and had tried our hand at exploring random old cemeteries in the area at night and filming. The cemetery was on the outskirts of the village and we never saw anyone around and didn't think anyone would even see us. I pulled my car over next to the cemetery and we got out to take a walk through it. About a minute later, an extremely loud tornado siren (which are common in Illinois and very terrifying sounding) started blaring seemingly from a nearby farmhouse. Mind you, this was at 10:00 or 11:00 PM, so it wouldn't be a test of the siren, and there were definitely no storms in the area. If someone on the farm was watching us and trying to scare us off, they had a drat powerful siren for doing so as the entire village surely heard it. Obviously, we scrambled back to the car and sped the gently caress outta there.

That was all about 15 years ago now. A few months ago I returned home for a visit with my family. One night I couldn't sleep and decided to cruise around and get all nostalgia-y. Well, I ended up back at the creepy village. "Those were just some coincidences and the creepy vibe was just our young, over-active imaginations. There's no way it will still creep me out!", I thought. I pulled into the town once again, feeling nostalgic and not at all creeped out. As I reached the main street area, I stopped and changed the music on my phone. I look up, just as, oh poo poo, all the streetlights went out at the same time. The power wasn't out, because lights inside the buildings were still on. So, I sped out of town, paranoid, once again. I took a moment to collect my thoughts - "maybe the streetlights are on a timer" - but, nope. As I drove back the way I came, about five minutes later, I could see that they were all back on.

I realize that may not sound that scary, but put yourself in the right mindset and it might be. The logical answer is, if these weren't just several coincidences, the town is made up of a bunch of bored hicks with nothing to do other than watch for and gently caress with/scare off cars they don't recognize, as they surely know everyone in town. But, I've always felt that it's very horror movie-eque, a seemingly sleepy little village being a front for hiding some shady activity.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

DamnitGannet posted:

Probably the scariest thing that had ever happened to me, and hopefully will remain that way, was when I almost drowned in the Chattahoochee river. Shooting the Hooch as it's called in Georgia was something you just have to do while there and my friends and I decided to do it before I moved across the country. Basically you get in an inner tube and get totally wasted as you float down the river (drinking whole tubing was recently ruled legal and is heavily encouraged.) I had just found out I was pregnant so I wasn't drinking and I hate to imagine what would have happened if I had been poo poo-faced.

Anyway, since we were a big group we decided that we would use our lifejackets to tie our tubes together to keep from getting separated. No big deal, I know how to swim. Well it turns out swimming in a fast moving river is much different than swimming in a pool, which I quickly learned after misjudging the depth and dismounting during a 'you can totally hang out and swim here' part of the river.

I'll never forget how terrified I was when the current swept me under and I struggled to surface. Everything I had learned about swimming left my mind and was replaced with sheer panic. I tried desperately to cling to a friend's tube only for the current to push me over a particularly rocky area, where I learned later that I had bashed and sliced my knee on. No one knew I was in trouble because I couldn't ask for help (turns out you're completely unable to speak when desperately trying to stay afloat.) At one point I reached out to a stranger on the shore line but he just gave me a thumbs up, thinking I was having a swim, before I was taken under again.

I don't really remember how I got out of there, but I do remember climbing up onto a log and clinging to it for a while as I sobbed and tried to regain my composure. The rest of our group didn't fare well either and had all become separated with another friend having experienced something similar as I. When we finally regrouped (I had worked up the courage to swim through a calmer part if the water to reach them) all lifejackets went back on. There was no way to actually exit the river as it was bordered on both sides by elevated private properties, so we had no choice but to finish the float in an awkward silence.

When we got to the extraction point I saw that other families has tubed down the river with small children. The thought of putting my child in that river made me feel nauseous and I was shocked that this was advertised as a fun, family activity.

This happened last Memorial Day weekend but since then I have been too terrified to get close to another body of water, even swimming pools manned by lifeguards (which the river lacked, obviously.) If I do find myself having no choice but to get into a river or lake again, you can bet your rear end I will have a lifejacket on.

lmao the hooch is one of the most relaxed easy rivers in the world, what in the gently caress

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I grew up in the extended Chicago suburbs, and our town was basically right at the end of the sprawl where, if you left town in the directions away from Chicago, you'd start hitting endless cornfields. Sprinkled among these cornfields are dozens of tiny, desolate, ~100-ish population villages that time forgot. Back in my high school days, my friends and I would often cruise around at night, looking for adventure because there honestly just wasn't that much to do. Sometimes we would drive out into the country and explore these little towns. Most of them were really mundane, but one in particular had an eerie vibe and creeped us out several times to the point where we made a thing out of going there every so often as some sort of mild thrill.

This town was connected to a state route via just two two-lane roads about a mile long. The next nearest village is 6 miles away, with the nearest town with anything resembling modern life about 10 miles away. It has one tiny school, about 60 houses, a very tiny "main street" area, a cemetery, and creepy church on the outskirts. The first night my friends and I ever cruised through, it was around midnight. The vibe was off to begin with, and we saw a big dark building in the distance that was just a giant silhouette due to having absolutely no power or lights on. We approached slowly trying to figure out what it was. When we got close enough to realize it was a church, the cross on the steeple suddenly illuminated in an eerie red glow, giving it a satanic look. Why was it lit with red lights, and why was it off and randomly turned on after midnight? Why would it be on some sort of motion sensor and why would it be the only thing that turned on in the whole building? A few moments later a creepy, rednecky old truck emerged from a thick, foresty road and seemed to follow us out of town until we were on the main state road again heading away, where we saw it turn back toward the village.

A while later we returned. We were on a ghost hunting kick and had tried our hand at exploring random old cemeteries in the area at night and filming. The cemetery was on the outskirts of the village and we never saw anyone around and didn't think anyone would even see us. I pulled my car over next to the cemetery and we got out to take a walk through it. About a minute later, an extremely loud tornado siren (which are common in Illinois and very terrifying sounding) started blaring seemingly from a nearby farmhouse. Mind you, this was at 10:00 or 11:00 PM, so it wouldn't be a test of the siren, and there were definitely no storms in the area. If someone on the farm was watching us and trying to scare us off, they had a drat powerful siren for doing so as the entire village surely heard it. Obviously, we scrambled back to the car and sped the gently caress outta there.

That was all about 15 years ago now. A few months ago I returned home for a visit with my family. One night I couldn't sleep and decided to cruise around and get all nostalgia-y. Well, I ended up back at the creepy village. "Those were just some coincidences and the creepy vibe was just our young, over-active imaginations. There's no way it will still creep me out!", I thought. I pulled into the town once again, feeling nostalgic and not at all creeped out. As I reached the main street area, I stopped and changed the music on my phone. I look up, just as, oh poo poo, all the streetlights went out at the same time. The power wasn't out, because lights inside the buildings were still on. So, I sped out of town, paranoid, once again. I took a moment to collect my thoughts - "maybe the streetlights are on a timer" - but, nope. As I drove back the way I came, about five minutes later, I could see that they were all back on.

I realize that may not sound that scary, but put yourself in the right mindset and it might be. The logical answer is, if these weren't just several coincidences, the town is made up of a bunch of bored hicks with nothing to do other than watch for and gently caress with/scare off cars they don't recognize, as they surely know everyone in town. But, I've always felt that it's very horror movie-eque, a seemingly sleepy little village being a front for hiding some shady activity.

You just described to a T my old hometown. Was this the south suburbs?

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This kind of system would be a fantastic way to ward off marauding junkies trying to steal poo poo at night. I could totally picture a bunch of ham radio hicks pooling resources into a kind of insane neighborhood watch.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
A mid-late 20s neighbor broke into the house at 2 am looking for my 18-year old sister. Instead he got me, older, much larger and who he really didn't like, and the 10 lb. miniature pinscher who bit him on the foot.
The moment I realized the creaking noises were from someone coming up the steps and not the old house making old house noises is a terror that is seared into my brain. Almost 20 years later I still get this uneasy feeling when I'm home alone at night and hear noises.
Dude was arrested for exposing himself to college students a year or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

You just described to a T my old hometown. Was this the south suburbs?

Yup, Plainfield/Naperville area. I've let out the name of the village to not draw extra attention to it, though I have tried to do some research on it and googled if anyone else has posted similar stories and not much of anything comes up.

I've got another story. I think I may have told this last year but if not...

This would have been late 90's, and I was in 7th grade. I was spending the night at my friend's place. His house was part of an unincorporated small batch of houses in a wooded area along a road that ran parallel to a major highway about 1,000 feet away. So, a slightly creepy place for 7th graders to be left home alone in at night to begin with. His mom was away and his dad was out for a few hours and we just intended to spend the evening playing N64. It gets to be maybe 10:00 PM and we get a call from his dad telling us he's on his way home and asking what we wanted from McDonald's. Maybe 15 minutes later we hear the front door open and close. We assume it's his dad and pause our game and start heading downstairs to get our food. We reach the top of the staircase, which gave a vantage point of most of the first floor of the house, and stop. His dad isn't anywhere and we don't hear any sound that indicate someone is home. It also dawns on us that the front door is open with only the screen door closed, and we had previously closed it, not to mention his dad would have likely entered through the garage.

For whatever reason the severity of the situation didn't quite dawn on us, being stupid middle schoolers. We grabbed baseball bats and slowly made our way down the stairs and did a sweep of the house and the garage. Dad had definitely not come home yet. We should have called the police right there but instead locked ourselves in his bedroom until his dad came home for real. I can't remember if we even told him anything.

So yeah, an unknown person was in the house with us. We have no idea who or for how long. We also later found out that one of the neighbor's 20-something sons had recently "gone crazy" and was missing. It's possible that his dad's phone call saved us by alerting whoever was in the house to leave. They may have even listened to the conversation on a different phone.