Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kwolok posted:

They mention food color powders but I've never even seen food color in powder form

I see powdered food color in specialty baking aisles with all the extra decorating tools, but no where else in store. But it’s easy to find on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Kwolok posted:

They mention food color powders but I've never even seen food color in powder form

Oh dunno, in the recipe above it just says 1/2 tsp red food colouring. I assume that's the usual stuff.

^^ There we go. In a marinade with yogurt I don't know that it would make much difference either way tbh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You don't need to add food colouring. People have become accustomed to seeing bright red/orange/yellow curries at poo poo westernised Indian restaurants; you won't see it at decent places that serve authentic food to primarily Indian customers, nor will you see it in home cooking. Most Indian dishes with a gravy will be brown - sometimes a subtle reddish brown, sometimes a subtle yellow brown, sometimes just plain brown.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

You don't need to add food colouring. People have become accustomed to seeing bright red/orange/yellow curries at poo poo westernised Indian restaurants; you won't see it at decent places that serve authentic food to primarily Indian customers, nor will you see it in home cooking. Most Indian dishes with a gravy will be brown - sometimes a subtle reddish brown, sometimes a subtle yellow brown, sometimes just plain brown.

Yeah it adds nothing to the dish at all. However, if you have guests and they're used to restaurant tandoori, some people like the bright red colouring and that's ok too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eh, I'd rather educate my guests as to what food is supposed to look like and let the flavour and quality speak for itself. It's good for people to have their preconceptions challenged. If they complained I'd just direct them to the Miss India down the road.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
There is actually a vision taste connection that one could argue would be a good reason to give things a distinct color. No clue how that holds weight here.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Eh, I'd rather educate my guests as to what food is supposed to look like and let the flavour and quality speak for itself. It's good for people to have their preconceptions challenged. If they complained I'd just direct them to the Miss India down the road.

Ok. I've eaten in holes in the wall in India (and China where red #7 is consumed by locals by the case) where food colouring was used. These weren't westernized hotel restaurants. It's just a thing. Nobody's forcing anyone to do it, but it's not just Johnny White's Tandoori Shack where it's a practice. But w/e it's not a big deal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You run into this with Chinese food too. Those super red bbq pork...need red food coloring to look like that. But making cha siu at home, it didn't quite feel right without the extra red, it's just a thing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Are we missing the bit where the point was 'restaurant-style'?

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok. I've eaten in holes in the wall in India (and China where red #7 is consumed by locals by the case) where food colouring was used. These weren't westernized hotel restaurants. It's just a thing. Nobody's forcing anyone to do it, but it's not just Johnny White's Tandoori Shack where it's a practice. But w/e it's not a big deal.

Also this.

Kwolok - Hope you enjoy!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Found some indian food color powder called Preema, gonna give it a shot lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Lord Bude posted:

Yep, if you want your food to look a little better add some kashmiri red chilli powder or deggi mirch powder. They both add quite a bit of color to things with a very mild heat.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yep, if you want your food to look a little better add some kashmiri red chilli powder or deggi mirch powder. They both add quite a bit of color to things with a very mild heat.

Yes I use Kashmiri chilli powder quite a bit.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Speaking of Kashmiri chili powder, I have a couple of recipes from indianhealthyrecipes.com and they call for "red chili powder". I bought a package labeled "chili powder" at an Indian grocer, and when I use it in the quantities specified the result is so, so spicy.

I didn't know until now that Kashmiri chili powder was a different thing, so I wanted to ask a dumb question - if an Indian recipe calls for red chili powder, which one should I assume it is? Should I assume the spicy one and just adjust the spice level for my sad American palate like I have been doing?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just do whatever, basically. Everyone likes different spice levels so just treat the amounts as a recommendation rather than a requirement.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

you ate my cat posted:

I didn't know until now that Kashmiri chili powder was a different thing, so I wanted to ask a dumb question - if an Indian recipe calls for red chili powder, which one should I assume it is? Should I assume the spicy one and just adjust the spice level for my sad American palate like I have been doing?

I would do this, or try substituting regular old cayenne pepper, which IME is not as spicy as the stuff from the Indian grocery.

I think when they want you to use Kashmiri chili powder it's usually mentioned by name.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
There is a kickstarter for an Indian spice recipe book called Masaleydaar: Classic Indian Spice Blends: http://kck.st/33HbROc . Would such a thing be worth the $10 they want for an ebook?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think paying for Indian cookbooks is a bit of a fool's errand because there are a ton of great recipe websites online. But it might be a nice book anyways. It's very hard to tell without seeing sample recipes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So uh, avakai huh. Wow what a different kind of flavor than anything I've ever tasted before.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It really goes for it! Most Indian pickles are pretty strong, and raw mango is pretty strong, so you put the two together and wow!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Kwolok posted:

Can anyone recommend a good simple dal soup instant pot recipe? I recently tried a split pea soup because it was high in fiber and protein but it wasn't savory enough. There is a dal soup I LOVE at my local indian place called "Himalayan Daal Soup - Mixed lentil cooked with Himalayan herbs & spices". Something like that would be divine if its a simple recipe.

Let me make a suggestion. Use your instant pot to make the beans in whatever time it takes. Then, when the beans are done cooking, knock up a tarka of whatever spices you like (the most basic version is just cumin seeds fried in hot oil), and dump it on the daal's head at the last minute. Pressure cooking enblandens the most well meaning of spicing attempts which is why I think you don't see a ton of recipes (written by an Indian person in India) that call for you to dump everything into the pressure cooker, and do the deed from start to finish. It might could work for like those long simmering curries and junk, but you still want to wake it all up with some kind of tarka or masala at the end.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Somebody mind posting a good conversation for "whistles" for a person without a pressure cooker?

Also, just bought a dabba because I found a dope Indian market in town:

(It's Korean chili powder left over from the last kim chi batch don't tell anyone)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Soul Dentist posted:

Somebody mind posting a good conversation for "whistles" for a person without a pressure cooker?
Whistles don't even mean anything for people with pressure cookers because every cooker whistles at a different rate depending on shape, how much water is in there, how high the heat, etc. Just look up how long it takes to cook whatever you're cooking and use that to gauge approximate cooking time. (The OP has this tip!) Then as you get near that time, check the texture yourself.

Gorgeous dabba!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
hello indian cooking goons! i wanted to try making an indian pizza and i was wondering if you had any suggestions for sauces, like the ones seen in this video

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Any tomato chutney would work fine. Basically any green chutney would probably would work too. In fact I think basically any chutney would work. In the video it looks like the spinach curry sauce is probably just sarson ka saag. Dunno what the masala sauce is. Looks like a cream-based thing, probably what you'd make for chicken tikka masala or whatever.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
alright thanks! the tikka masala sauce would be easier for me to make so I’ll try that one first

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Soul Dentist posted:

Also, just bought a dabba because I found a dope Indian market in town:

(It's Korean chili powder left over from the last kim chi batch don't tell anyone)

To be honest, even the manufacturer says to set a timer when I bought my Hawkins pressure cookers. Assume about 3 minutes per whistle. So after your cooker hits full pressure, time 3 minutes per whistle and you’re good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
As long as I'm posting them in the vegan thread here are some fun Indian foods to check out:

A fermented carrot drink

Punjabi cauliflower stems

Punjabi mashed turnips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Led7mBEbLlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VYn7D9WEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaqeScuUjTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a77AhAJp_Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAWl5ggUcc

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

dino. posted:

To be honest, even the manufacturer says to set a timer when I bought my Hawkins pressure cookers. Assume about 3 minutes per whistle. So after your cooker hits full pressure, time 3 minutes per whistle and you’re good.

Except I don't own a pressure cooker

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Soul Dentist posted:

I got a plain old-school one for $20 from Bed Bath and Beyond.

(I’ve never actually used it, but… it was $20.)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Worked with them enough in professional kitchens to have three explode on me so I'm good with the scars I already have. Thank you though

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Soul Dentist posted:

So then … find recipes that don’t use a pressure cooker? This is such a weird question. It’s like asking how to convert an air fryer recipe to a regular temperature, and then mentioning you don’t have an oven or an air fryer. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, cook the food on the stove for however long it takes to get done cooking. The reason for specific timings on a pressure cooker is that the lid is closed and you can’t test the food to see if it’s done.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Seems like most of the recipes posted in this thread use a pressure cooker? Maybe I should ask for some general guidelines on how long different types of lentils take to cook instead. I am capable of pre soaking and simmering things in a pot but with things like chilka urad dal or whole moong that I haven't used before it'd be cool to know what time to loving start dinner. I'll just Google it I guess.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soul Dentist posted:

Seems like most of the recipes posted in this thread use a pressure cooker? Maybe I should ask for some general guidelines on how long different types of lentils take to cook instead. I am capable of pre soaking and simmering things in a pot but with things like chilka urad dal or whole moong that I haven't used before it'd be cool to know what time to loving start dinner. I'll just Google it I guess.

It's usually 30-45 minutes of simmering depending which one you're doing. It'll say on the back of the bag unless you're buying it loose in a store.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Soul Dentist posted:

To turn a pressure cooker recipe into a non-pressure cooker recipe, 99% of the time all you do is boil to desired doneness instead of pressure cook to desired doneness. The time it takes will depend on what you're cooking, and yes, you should just Google it (I have a chart I've made for cooking times of various lentils that I just refer to). Since you aren't using a pressure cooker you can always keep checking in on the lentils to see if they are done.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

Maybe I should ask for some general guidelines on how long different types of lentils take to cook instead.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

(I have a chart I've made for cooking times of various lentils that I just refer to).

:justpost:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's for a pressure cooker! Even before I moved to India I used a pressure cooker for beans/lentils/etc. And here in India everyone uses a pressure cooker.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's for a pressure cooker! Even before I moved to India I used a pressure cooker for beans/lentils/etc. And here in India everyone uses a pressure cooker.

I think soul dentist is interested in the chart you have, and maybe others too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

von Braun posted:

I think soul dentist is interested in the chart you have, and maybe others too.
Soul Dentist has made it very clear that pressure cookers are not an option, and a timing chart for beans in a pressure cooker won't tell you how long to cook things in a normal pot. (In fact this conversation started because Soul Dentist wanted to convert pressure cooker timings to normal pot timings.) In any case, my chart is a smaller version of this one (I deleted the columns for cookers at a different PSI than mine) so if anyone finds it useful, there it is.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What's that? You want some South Indian recipes? Well here you go:

Onion sambar

Beet rasam

Pepper rasam

Mushroom pea kurma

Cauliflower kurma

Cauliflower and peas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here are some fun miscellaneous recipes to spice up the thread:

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/karwar-style-muga-ambat-recipe

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/konkani-style-alsande-randayi-recipe-black-eyed-beans-and-yam-gravy

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/coorg-style-kumbala-curry-recipe-pumpkin-sabzi

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/perum-payaru-theeyal-recipe-kerala-style-black-eyed-bean-curry

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/masala-vada-curry-recipe-chana-dal-vada-curry-recipe

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/kongunadu-style-senai-kilangu-masala-recipe-yam-in-spicy-gravy

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/goan-moolyacho-ross-recipe-goan-radish-curry

https://www.archanaskitchen.com/brinjal-curry-for-biryani