Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best email client
alpine / pine
mail.app
eudora
lotus notes
outlook
thunderbird
mutt
outlook express
squirrelmail
roundcube
horde
View Results

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

This is a thread to talk about what you should use for email service and clients.

What not to use:
----
Google - evil
Microsoft - evil
Your IMAP server in your ~private cloud~ - probably misconfigured and unreliable

What yes to use:
---

Currently I'm using FASTMAIL, I pay $50/yr it's good. The mobile app is actually not good but everything else is fine. Also supports my stupid yubikey.

Happy to take any questions, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only good mail app is windows 10 mail. all others are trash

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the only good mail app is windows 10 mail. all others are trash

what are you liking for mail service provider shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
outlook.com or office 365. they're the best of the free and paid email providers respectively. just don't use the actual outlook app cause its bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Fastmail is definitely good.

I use thunderbird like some kind of troglodyte and i guess it works but not always very well. Calendaring has gotten better but contacts are still rough. most things are fine on the surface but much deeper than that and it all feels like a bunch of cruft from the 90s

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I stopped using thunderbird because the fastmail web app was good enough for me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i use thunderbird in part b/c i like having a local copy of my emails. even if my ISP takes a big heaving poo poo or if the host shits the bed or if my account somehow gets hijacked/stolen, i can still reference anything i've previously received.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the number people who own their own domain to host their website but still insist on using a gmail address blows my mind.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i use gmail and have done so since 2004 when i was invited.... to the beta :wth:

one whole gigabyte of storage, free. wow. thanks for asking op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fifty dollars a year for email

lol

ilu bro but

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
got my gmail at Fri, Aug 20, 2004, 2:30 AM apparently thank you OP now we can all post the number

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like fastmail

was interested in protonmail for a bit then realized i dont give a poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I stopped using gmail and switched to icloud since tim doesn't get as horny about my data

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall know that postfix is open source and you can just like, run your own email server right

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Jonny 290 posted:

yall know that postfix is open source and you can just like, run your own email server right

lol nerd

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
outlook no question. accept no substitutes

thunderbird, very distant second

gmail third. you hosed up not making it an option

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jfc Thunderbird is garbage.

use iCloud with mail dot app like stebe intended.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I use rackspace

lol

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

The Management posted:

jfc Thunderbird is garbage.

use iCloud with mail dot app like stebe intended.

lol mail dot app is unreasonable nonsense

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Mail.app, but on a mac

mostly for the search function that is actually really fast and good at finding relevant messages
whenever I have to search for something at work with Outlook and Exchange it either takes several minutes or just fails completely

i mainly use gmail but switch to icloud for anything that's too embarrassing to let google know

i'd love to host my own email like a huge nerd but you need a correct reverse DNS lookup entry for your IP or most mail servers won't even talk to you, so you can't really host it on your home connection

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SpaceAceJase posted:

I use rackspace

lol

lol indeed

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

outlook.com or office 365. they're the best of the free and paid email providers respectively. just don't use the actual outlook app cause its bad

I didn’t log in to my first initial last name at outlook dot com account for 12 months and they let someone else sign up for it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
how many accounts do you get for FASTMAIL at that price op

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
also gmail’s UI is great with the keeb shortcuts turned on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Please do not advocate self-harm in yospos

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i use thunderbird in part b/c i like having a local copy of my emails. even if my ISP takes a big heaving poo poo or if the host shits the bed or if my account somehow gets hijacked/stolen, i can still reference anything i've previously received.

Referencing old email is of very low importance to me tbf but I should probably do some sort of backup of my email I guess.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

the number people who own their own domain to host their website but still insist on using a gmail address blows my mind.

it offends me

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hed posted:

how many accounts do you get for FASTMAIL at that price op

that's the per user price buddy, our family has only 3 nerds in it so we have 3 users, the rest are still slaves to sergey or whomever is running google these days

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

fifty dollars a year for email

lol

ilu bro but

Jonny 290 posted:

what's the emoji for rolleyes that grows forever and ever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nobody should use the slow, randomly changing ui of outlook. it's horrible

both the web app and the desktop app are terrible w h i t e s p a c e trash

my favorite thing is emails opening behind the outlook window

gently caress you satya

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I've been thinking of trying fastmail but maybe I should use my own domain

but like me@firstlast.com or admin@firstlast.com seems annoying, first@last.com implies that I'm going to provide email service to the whole family or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

what's the emoji for rolleyes that grows forever and ever

id email it to you but i dont want you to get charged 40 cents or w/e

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

DuckConference posted:

I've been thinking of trying fastmail but maybe I should use my own domain

but like me@firstlast.com or admin@firstlast.com seems annoying, first@last.com implies that I'm going to provide email service to the whole family or something.

the real pro move is to send all your work related email from dongs@clownpenis.fart

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

email is like the one thing that any downtime is unacceptable to me so I pay someone else to deal with that poo poo

atm fastmail is who I pay, it also includes calendar and notes, even static hosting and custom dns across an arbitrary number of domains. apparently they changed their plans but I’m on an “enhanced” plan which appears to be functionally equivalent to the current “standard” plan except that mine is $100/3yr :agesilaus:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

remember when gmail added like a megabyte per day to your space limit

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
if i have more than like 8 emails in my inbox i need to sort by author/subject to be able to easily isolate the ones to purge and google removed this feature for some reason????

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol at the idea of using a native application to read e-mail

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

i use gmail and have done so since 2004 when i was invited.... to the beta :wth:

one whole gigabyte of storage, free. wow. thanks for asking op
I'm the clickbait headline on a message that isn't even a web page

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hifi posted:

remember when gmail added like a megabyte per day to your space limit

It had that cool lerping number at the bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted: