Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best email client
alpine / pine
mail.app
eudora
lotus notes
outlook
thunderbird
mutt
outlook express
squirrelmail
roundcube
horde
View Results

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rip mailbox.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

DuckConference posted:

I've been thinking of trying fastmail but maybe I should use my own domain

but like me@firstlast.com or admin@firstlast.com seems annoying, first@last.com implies that I'm going to provide email service to the whole family or something.

No it doesn't. And if you need and you don't want to be nice just give them email forwarder problem solved

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

if i have more than like 8 emails in my inbox i need to sort by author/subject to be able to easily isolate the ones to purge and google removed this feature for some reason????

fastmail lets you do this

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

email is like the one thing that any downtime is unacceptable to me so I pay someone else to deal with that poo poo

atm fastmail is who I pay, it also includes calendar and notes, even static hosting and custom dns across an arbitrary number of domains. apparently they changed their plans but I’m on an “enhanced” plan which appears to be functionally equivalent to the current “standard” plan except that mine is $100/3yr :agesilaus:

nice

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

ProtonMail, been using the free plan for about a year and a half and had no issues, keep meaning to upgrade to a paid plan but I always forget

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I tried to set up the win10 mail app on a computer yesterday and it just gives me the "add an account" start page even though in settings I can see my Microsoft/office365 account already added to mail. if I try to add my account through the mail app dialogue it says my account is already associated or smth and I can't add it. the go to my inbox button is grayed out. seems like this app is a real piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u already added it thru outlook or if its ur login account it should use those accounts for authentication when u add a new account with the same address.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Did anyone ever use google inbox for more than a day?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
anyone who says they liked inbox is clearly lying. but to what end?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same reason people say they like chome

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gonna go with shaggar on this one and add my personal site email is an outlook 365 sub and its very good

email client is win 10 mail for daily use/thunderbird because sometimes i like to run a deep clean and sort and thunderbird is an ancient shambling beast of burden

mobile email is mail.app for daily use/outlook for ios because it can aggregate my dozen old or lightly used accounts well enough when i rarely check them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Did anyone ever use google inbox for more than a day?

i really tried lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I also tried.. It felt like something that would actually help. But ended up not helping, turns out I just like email.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
electronic mail

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

inbox owned and everything takes twice as many clicks or taps to do in Gmail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i don’t enjoy gmails likely sharing of my data but it works so well across everything with great search and etc that well its not like my life matters enough to prevent privacy breaches?

rodtronics.design or email me at rodtronicsnz@gmail.com

if i ever once got an email that was written by an actual human i might consider it lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

signed, va shiva

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

literal lol at paying money for personal email

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fart simpson posted:

literal lol at paying money for personal email

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’d pay some but not 50 per anum

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I like the Outlook client but my current company uses gmail and it's fine.

$5/mth feels like a lot just to get my email untracked. Google is already tracking every place I go via my phone so that I can use their map, they might as well read my emails.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
id pay a dollar a month maybe. i think thats fair.

you could run email for like 10k people on fifty bucks a month of aws

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m set up with my own domain, but email itself is hosted over on gmail. that way I’m able to eventually move poo poo without changing my address. for total “source your quotes” worthiness, I’m using mutt over IMAP to handle most email (HTML-only stuff is rendered with w3m) and from time to time I start Thunderbird to go download all my poo poo as a janky backup.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my grad advisor was still using PINE into the turn of the decade

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

It's unreasonably good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

email, from the advertising company?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

email, from the advertising company?

the html version doesn't have ads at least.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

is this the small business any American can do you were talking about?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Just use the ad company mail. It's the only one that reasonably works reliably. We're all going to die in nuclear hellfire soon anyway, who gives a poo poo that they try to sell you a George foreman grill in the summer because you used keyword "beefsteak" to your father in law.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

customer support/payments bullshit is probably the majority of the cost

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I use postbox OP

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Microsoft Exchange Online

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

WilWheaton posted:

Just use the ad company mail. It's the only one that reasonably works reliably. We're all going to die in nuclear hellfire soon anyway, who gives a poo poo that they try to sell you a George foreman grill in the summer because you used keyword "beefsteak" to your father in law.

excuse me op but the ad is for tomato grow lights to use post hellscape

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

is this the small business any American can do you were talking about?

dont tell me you got roped by that poo poo too lmbo

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
my friend's dad in high school thought it was called "hot male" and asked if it was a gay thing, and well

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I got Thunderbird installed and I download all my emails for offline use. I've kept all my emails for the past 20 years.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I used to use protonmail, but I got sick of not being able to use normal mail clients. so I switched to fastmail, but it doesn’t have tagging

probably gonna switch back to protonmail

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

tags is a fad. I've been waiting 15 years for it to die.

any day now....

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The Management posted:

use iCloud with mail dot app like stebe intended.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceAceJase posted:

I got Thunderbird installed and I download all my emails for offline use. I've kept all my emails for the past 20 years.

Thunderbird had this bug for a while where it would self destruct if you had more than two gigabytes in a folder which, I think, was because it uses mbox for storage instead of the obviously superior format (for incremental backup if nothing else), maildir.