Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Siamang posted:

You can pick a couple and establish some level of helping relationship with them if you're not terrified of interacting with homeless people. Works fine in Seattle.

Something I think would be cool, but never would happen, is that cities that have a significant homeless population establish a program where anyone who moves there for a new job and is a certain level over the median income be required to both pay a displacement tax and also volunteer some time at a shelter or outreach program every month.

This is a stupid terrible idea, but luckily it can be easily modified to become a really good one instead, watch this:

Give every person a home, no exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Salvation Army is a horrible religious organization that gives donations to anti-LGBT groups and has been involved in anti-LGBT discrimination when working with homeless and volunteers. Look for a local non-profit to volunteer for, like a food bank, veterans organization, children's hospital, etc.

Sad that I had to even ask but this is exactly why. I’ll look for other options. Thank you.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

sweet thursday posted:

It's sad when people ruin their lives chasing the dragon

Yes it was actually really sad.
But I don't see how just throwing money at the problem through some arbitrary cause, instead of, ya know, interacting with and giving them actual food/ clothes is anything more than feel good bullshit for people with too much money.
I don't ever ever ever give homeless people money, I just give them provisions and spend unnecessary time with them. I have no idea where the gently caress that money would go to, and in organizations like the one in the OP its probably being spent on hookers and cocaine; because this is hell dimension.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How about you give them a home instead? That's been proven to be the number 1 most effective way of helping homeless people by a huge margin.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

The Rubberband Man posted:

How about you give them a home instead? That's been proven to be the number 1 most effective way of helping homeless people by a huge margin.

I don't have a home but I did suggest a poorly monitored parking garage with nice bathrooms he could lock himself in right across the street from where we smoked a joint. So.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Even giving people homes wouldn't solve other issues, like money management. For example, how would someone with a free house pay their property tax or homeowners insurance if they don't have a decent job AND are making and sticking to a budget? What about simple things like maintenance and repairs?

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tango alpha delta posted:

Even giving people homes wouldn't solve other issues, like money management. For example, how would someone with a free house pay their property tax or homeowners insurance if they don't have a decent job AND are making and sticking to a budget? What about simple things like maintenance and repairs?

This kind of dogmatic adherence to nonsense ideology is a big part of the problem. Every study ever done, every example in history, shows that giving people homes is by far and away the best thing you can do to help a person get their life back together. It is almost impossible to do if you don't have a place to live. This has never even been that difficult of a thing to do in a wide variety of countries in the world, but the 80's really hosed up the American conscience, in the sense that it was obliterated and replaced with this kind of libertarian individualistic insanity.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Are there any charities where i can donate my time gaming with the homeless to give them a a hours of entertainment?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

the sweet release of death would be a gift to the homeless, and consequently the domiciled as well.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

the sweet release of death would be a gift to the homeless, and consequently the domiciled as well.

instead of the purge once a year, governments globally had an intentional loophole wherein on your government acknowledged date of birth it was in fact legal for your life signs to cease

your birthday is literally your deathday and thus the population would begin to finally subsist in a systematic fashion.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sjs00 posted:

instead of the purge once a year, governments globally had an intentional loophole wherein on your government acknowledged date of birth it was in fact legal for your life signs to cease

your birthday is literally your deathday and thus the population would begin to finally subsist in a systematic fashion.

So...Logan’s Run?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Renew! Renew! Renew!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

This is a stupid terrible idea, but luckily it can be easily modified to become a really good one instead, watch this:

Give every person a home, no exceptions.

Can they be tiny houses with, like, big kickstarter backer lists on billboards? It is important in maintaining the just world fallacy that we continue to poor shame and virtue signal as hard as we possibly can.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

This kind of dogmatic adherence to nonsense ideology is a big part of the problem. Every study ever done, every example in history, shows that giving people homes is by far and away the best thing you can do to help a person get their life back together. It is almost impossible to do if you don't have a place to live. This has never even been that difficult of a thing to do in a wide variety of countries in the world, but the 80's really hosed up the American conscience, in the sense that it was obliterated and replaced with this kind of libertarian individualistic insanity.

Experience trumps opinion, sir, literally in every possible circumstance.

I've been a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity since 2003. I've helped build homes, given speeches in town halls and churches and promoted this fine charity to literally everyone I meet.

Habitat homes are sold at a very reasonable price and each partner family is expected to help build their own home. Earning the down payment on a home through hundred of hours of volunteer labor and then paying a low interest mortgage goes much farther to help individuals than just giving homes away.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 6, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rad-daddio posted:

You wouldn't get far in San Francisco.

I gave a fiver to a homeless dude there, and he started trying to negotiate a larger handout.

My god it's loving expensive in SF. But the weather is always nice so I'd be homeless there too I guess.
yeah i live in berkeley and work in SF and it's really bad. i don't carry cash at all because i don't go to bars anymore but it'd be pretty overwhelming considering you pass by several dozen in just a few blocks of a walk along with usually several in the bart station. i'll give out leftovers or clif-bar type snacks i have in my bag occasionally if they're looking for food, but that's about it. unlike all the nimby baby bombers and the media, i don't blame homeless for their predicament and i hold the federal and state government accountable for utterly failing at its job and i donate and canvas in support of left candidates and dsa to try to change the system but it's mostly hopeless and shits getting worse every year

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I've been a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity since 2003. I've helped build homes, given speeches in town halls and churches and promoted this fine charity.

Habitat homes are sold at a very reasonable price and each partner family is expected to help build their own home. Earning a home and then paying a low interest mortgage goes much farther to help individuals than just giving homes away.

The plural of anecdote is not data, dude. You're still operating on this insane nightmare worldview that your terrible country adopted in the 80's, and the implicit "those stupid crackheads who didn't even have the gumption to get a charity to sell them a house don't deserve one" in your post frankly disgusts me.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

The plural of anecdote is not data, dude. You're still operating on this insane nightmare worldview that your terrible country adopted in the 80's, and the implicit "those stupid crackheads who didn't even have the gumption to get a charity to sell them a house don't deserve one" in your post frankly disgusts me.

While I really do like your idealistic enthusiasm, you can Google a study or two by a tiny obscure company called Boston Consulting Group on how Habitat's model greatly benefits taxpayers, families and neighborhoods. Go ahead, I can wait.

Imagine how embarrassed you'd be if you learned that I own a Habitat Home and that it was built for my wheelchair confined daughter and that all of my mortgage payments bought another family a house.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 6, 2019

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Your entire ideological foundation is out of whack, honey. A charity's success in the broken and limiting framework of individualistic social Darwinism and inhuman unrestrained capitalism is in no way relevant to the success that could be achieved outside of that restrictive framework.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Your entire ideological foundation is out of whack, honey. A charity's success in the broken and limiting framework of individualistic social Darwinism and inhuman unrestrained capitalism is in no way relevant to the success that could be achieved outside of that restrictive framework.

Like I said, I like your passion. I think you are wasting a lot of energy attacking windmills, though.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Homelessness will never be solved in a broken framework that uses it as a threat to keep people in inhumane conditions that are still more tolerable than homelessness. Until the day that the majority of Americans believe that a home is a right and not a privilege, it will never be solved and hundreds of thousands of people will remain homeless. Charity is not and never will be a worthwhile solution, it's just there to make people feel better about participating in a broken system.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You're talking past each other because you both have similar but not the same goals. tango is describing efforts to help people within the existing American economy, and Rubberband is describing efforts to transform that economy. Both of you want to help homeless people, but you're looking at totally different scales and time frames.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Homelessness will never be solved in a broken framework that uses it as a threat to keep people in inhumane conditions that are still more tolerable than homelessness. Until the day that the majority of Americans believe that a home is a right and not a privilege, it will never be solved and hundreds of thousands of people will remain homeless. Charity is not and never will be a worthwhile solution, it's just there to make people feel better about participating in a broken system.

When my daughter was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy our world collapsed. We were renting a tiny place that leaked snow in the winter and had mold in the insulation. We were struggling and life was miserable. A friend of ours saw our struggles and suggested that we apply with Habitat for Humanity.

I was angry because IM THE MAN and shouldn't I be able to provide for my family? We didn't need charity. Grrrrr.

Once I realized that this wasn't about me, but taking care of my little family, I was on board and we applied.

We signed all of our privacy away so that Habitat could do a deep background check.

Once we were approved, we were required to volunteer five hundred hours of "Sweat Equity" as our down payment.

Long story short, organizations like Habitat for Humanity are doing good work. My daughter now walks with a walker, I was able to go to college and graduate with honors and I just paid off my mortgage this year. which means I bought another family their own home.

I agree that society isn't perfect and all my efforts are laughably small scale. I'd love to see everyone, literally everyone succeed, so I'll keep trying to contribute to our broken society as best as I can. It's been a good discussion.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 7, 2019

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a good country your daughter would have been treated with little to no impact on your household finances or quality of life.

It's nice that someone deigned to help you instead of letting you die, but that's not the case for most people.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're talking past each other because you both have similar but not the same goals. tango is describing efforts to help people within the existing American economy, and Rubberband is describing efforts to transform that economy. Both of you want to help homeless people, but you're looking at totally different scales and time frames.

If someone brings up charity as a response to the idea that society needs to change, then they are using it to prevent change. If that's what charity is for, then we're better off without it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

In a good country your daughter would have been treated with little to no impact on your household finances or quality of life.

It's nice that someone deigned to help you instead of letting you die, but that's not the case for most people.

If someone brings up charity as a response to the idea that society needs to change, then they are using it to prevent change. If that's what charity is for, then we're better off without it.

Then perhaps the studies that Boston Consulting has done will open up dialog that will disrupt the status quo. Charity, done right, is supposed to increase awareness and open discussion, not just act as a salve for the rich and elite. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the very idea of charity needs to be redefined. At one time or another, we've all needed someone else's help, but we didn't necessarily think of it as charity.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 7, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should build giant Judge Dredd mega city towers. Everyone gets an 1100sq.ft. two bedroom apartment. Problem solved.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should build giant Judge Dredd mega city towers. Everyone gets an 1100sq.ft. two bedroom apartment. Problem solved.

I know you are joking, but the Bronx River Houses haven't worked out very well, unfortunately.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I've been a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity since 2003. I've helped build homes, given speeches in town halls and churches and promoted this fine charity to literally everyone I meet.

Habitat homes are sold at a very reasonable price and each partner family is expected to help build their own home. Earning the down payment on a home through hundred of hours of volunteer labor and then paying a low interest mortgage goes much farther to help individuals than just giving homes away.

Yeah, my mom had Lupus and even with her making poo poo money at a factory job we didn't qualify for a Habitat for Humanity house.

I had to get a couple of jobs to help make ends meet and I briefly considered taking a friend's advice on stealing and selling poo poo just so we could afford decent food.

The American Dream used to be owning a home. Now, it's just owning a decent car and maybe only having one job. poo poo needs to change and ~home ownership~ is worth nothing if your daily issues are avoiding death from starvation or the elements.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rad-daddio posted:

You wouldn't get far in San Francisco.

I gave a fiver to a homeless dude there, and he started trying to negotiate a larger handout.

My god it's loving expensive in SF. But the weather is always nice so I'd be homeless there too I guess.

This is not at all an accusation so don't get defensive, your post just reminded me of something that came up in a conversation with a friend that I think is one of those things that pops up whenever "homelessness" comes up as a topic of conversation.

Homeless aren't being greedy when they ask for more, it's a survival mechanism. If you're going to work with homeless, do outreach, etc. you absolutely have to reframe your thinking and how you respond to those situations. When someone hands you a fiver (or more) and not $1, there's a chance that they have more they're willing to give, and if you don't ask for it someone else might and that extra five or ten bucks can be 2-3 more meals, some shoes, socks, smokes, whatever. They are already homeless, they are already begging, they are at a place of desperation and shame that for most people is inconceivable; when we think of "polite social interaction" and express shock at not getting what we perceive we're due from giving someone something it's because it's not being framed in the reality of their life.

Every single homeless person you've given something to and they've asked for more, if tomorrow they woke up with a roof of their own over their head, reliable food and clean water, employment, etc. and saw you a month later and remembered your face, they'd thank you for what you gave when they were at their lowest. Think about times where you've been short with someone because you were hungry, missing medication, too hot/too cold, hadn't slept well, etc. That's every day for them. Expecting performative politeness when someone is scraping by to survive at all is unfair and unrealistic. Just say, "sorry, that's all I have today," and move on.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

13Pandora13 posted:

This is not at all an accusation so don't get defensive, your post just reminded me of something that came up in a conversation with a friend that I think is one of those things that pops up whenever "homelessness" comes up as a topic of conversation.

Homeless aren't being greedy when they ask for more, it's a survival mechanism. If you're going to work with homeless, do outreach, etc. you absolutely have to reframe your thinking and how you respond to those situations. When someone hands you a fiver (or more) and not $1, there's a chance that they have more they're willing to give, and if you don't ask for it someone else might and that extra five or ten bucks can be 2-3 more meals, some shoes, socks, smokes, whatever. They are already homeless, they are already begging, they are at a place of desperation and shame that for most people is inconceivable; when we think of "polite social interaction" and express shock at not getting what we perceive we're due from giving someone something it's because it's not being framed in the reality of their life.

Every single homeless person you've given something to and they've asked for more, if tomorrow they woke up with a roof of their own over their head, reliable food and clean water, employment, etc. and saw you a month later and remembered your face, they'd thank you for what you gave when they were at their lowest. Think about times where you've been short with someone because you were hungry, missing medication, too hot/too cold, hadn't slept well, etc. That's every day for them. Expecting performative politeness when someone is scraping by to survive at all is unfair and unrealistic. Just say, "sorry, that's all I have today," and move on.

No worries, and I didn't fault him for it anyways. SF is motherfucking expensive and I'd just paid 14 dollars to park my car in a "discount" lot almost a mile away from where I needed to be. I don't blame the dude for asking for more it's just that I was a poor idiot on a day business trip to pitch an idea to a potential investor and at the SF burn rate I'd be broke by noon.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

Yeah, my mom had Lupus and even with her making poo poo money at a factory job we didn't qualify for a Habitat for Humanity house.

I had to get a couple of jobs to help make ends meet and I briefly considered taking a friend's advice on stealing and selling poo poo just so we could afford decent food.

The American Dream used to be owning a home. Now, it's just owning a decent car and maybe only having one job. poo poo needs to change and ~home ownership~ is worth nothing if your daily issues are avoiding death from starvation or the elements.

You are not the first person to mention to me that you didn't qualify to purchase a Habitat home. Did they hint at the reason, because that seems really odd.

Most of the time, the rejected applicants are living so close to the poverty line that, while the mortgage payments would continue to be very reasonable, it's the insurance and the property tax that really hurts very low income families. Because of this, Habitat has moved away from single detached homes and now builds condominiums for the most part. The tax and insurance are generally much more affordable than for a single detached home.

The Sweat Equity requirement has dropped from 500 to around 200 hours, which makes earning your down payment much quicker.

I'd encourage you to apply again.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 7, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
When I see them at intersections holding signs I always make a point to chuck water balloons full of chicken soup at them.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

When I see them at intersections holding signs I always make a point to chuck water balloons full of chicken soup at them.

Actually it's filled with chunky chicken noodle because Frank is a monster

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

13Pandora13 posted:

I was tying my shoes by a train station and this dude called my name. I didn't recognize him, but he said that a few weeks prior I gave him a few dollars and some cigarettes and that we sat and talked for a while. I don't remember this at all but he remembered my face and name. I was probably hosed up, as I often was at the time. Anyway, he thanked me, said he got a job and a place to stay now, and bought me a beer at the bar across the street. His name was Daniel.

So what I'm saying is you're right. If dude recognizes you later and they're on their feet, they will be appreciative.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I just buy them a SA account and then get spit on.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 7, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those gosh darn hyper idealists just need to learn to love the boot, I guess!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

You are not the first person to mention to me that you didn't qualify to purchase a Habitat home. Did they hint at the reason, because that seems really odd.

Most of the time, the rejected applicants are living so close to the poverty line that, while the mortgage payments would continue to be very reasonable, it's the insurance and the property tax that really hurts very low income families. Because of this, Habitat has moved away from single detached homes and now builds condominiums for the most part. The tax and insurance are generally much more affordable than for a single detached home.

The Sweat Equity requirement has dropped from 500 to around 200 hours, which makes earning your down payment much quicker.

I'd encourage you to apply again.

I think it was a combination of factors, one of them being that my mom wouldn't be able to handle the sweat equity requirement due to her illness. I don't think Habitat would be able to consider my income as an underage kid, so that probably put us into another denial pile as well. At the time it sucked. It was just one more carrot dangled in our faces that we couldn't reach so we had to continue scraping by on three poo poo jobs spread thinly across two tired people.

Habitat is a great program, but I think that it handles one problem while actual current homelessness requires a completely different set of tools and programs to effectively be able to help.

My mom died in 2002, so no need to re-apply. By that time, I was already living in a house that I'd built with hard money loans and a lot of overtime. I was in the midst of going through the permits to get a cottage built on my property for her when she passed. Sometimes you just have to do poo poo on your own.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes. Brutalism is the best way to fight the homeless.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I used to have drive through skid row on a near daily basis. My observations are that they are either mentally ill or drug addicts. I've never met a working homeless person.

The problem is so great it can't be solved by a good wishes anymore. It's going to take the government building housing and creating more free mental health facilities. Although do note that those with chronic mental health issues that refuse to take their medication can't be forced into being helped.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DropsySufferer posted:

I used to have drive through skid row on a near daily basis. My observations are that they are either mentally ill or drug addicts. I've never met a working homeless person.

The problem is so great it can't be solved by a good wishes anymore. It's going to take the government building housing and creating more free mental health facilities. Although do note that those with chronic mental health issues that refuse to take their medication can't be forced into being helped.

We don’t need to build more houses, it’s estimated that in the US vacant homes outnumber the homeless 6-1. We need a government that’s willing to claim imminent domain and just give them places to live. Also a government willing to do that would most likely also provide a decent safety net, healthcare, and jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

We don’t need to build more houses, it’s estimated that in the US vacant homes outnumber the homeless 6-1. We need a government that’s willing to claim imminent domain and just give them places to live. Also a government willing to do that would most likely also provide a decent safety net, healthcare, and jobs

Don't some European countries have squatting laws that allow free occupation for a certain number of months?