Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Thots and Prayers posted:

The flag team I coach won third in the league tournament! Great kids, I had another enjoyable season. Nobody got hurt, 7/8 of the boys scored a touchdown.

That's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Are you prepping for master chef?

Nothing like that, but there may may be a small mescita bearing my name within the next few years. The gears are turning.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd7eTpNt2mQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaKS-5eTebA

Good show.

Explosions in the Sky. band. Not fireworks.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I'm going to Omaha, NE to play my first out of state solo show (I'm an ambient/noise/whatever musician) and to see Mike Doughty (former singer of Soul Coughing) play their album Ruby Vroom in its entirety with an awesome new band in about a week. Nervous as gently caress but also stoked.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ihatechesspieces posted:

I'm going to Omaha, NE to play my first out of state solo show (I'm an ambient/noise/whatever musician) and to see Mike Doughty (former singer of Soul Coughing) play their album Ruby Vroom in its entirety with an awesome new band in about a week. Nervous as gently caress but also stoked.

Wow, awesome! Good luck. Would love to hear some of your music sometime...

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

My wife and I snagged tickets to go see Mystery Skulls next Tuesday so I'm hoping to have as good a time as you

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Skypie posted:

My wife and I snagged tickets to go see Mystery Skulls next Tuesday so I'm hoping to have as good a time as you

I hope you have a good time, too!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Hygiene posted:

10/10, I don't even throw a dog on the grill any more because the toaster oven gets em both crispier on the outside and juicier on the inside

also they sometimes wriggle off it if you don't clip their collar to something

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a very involved single father of a (now) 14 year old son. Every day with him is a gift, and I've never lost sight of that.

So when I watched him, as a city pedestrian, get hit by a speeding car that jumped the curb, I felt my universe crumbling as I held him on the side of the road, thinking I was watching him die. He was spitting blood, he was twisted, and he was knocked out of his shoe.... but only one, so the theory holds up. But I watched him go airborne and fly over the car, and I saw the facial lacerations and broken teeth and mouth fulls of blood that he just couldn't keep clear. I kept my poo poo together, for him, comforting him, telling him everything is going to be fine. I watched and held my broken, twisted son bleed on the side of the road as the feet of the driver of the car circled us saying over and over, "Holy gently caress, holy gently caress." Next thing I knew the paramedics were pulling me off of him.

Fractured skull, fractured pelvis, a mouth full of broken teeth. I couldn't sleep that night, and when I did the nurses kept rousing me, as I was screaming. I couldn't stop replaying it over and over in my mind, when I closed my eyes.

His recovery was a miracle. The pelvic fracture was in such a spot where it wasn't load-bearing, so he didn't get casted... and he was walking in days. Without a limp in a week. His mouth and jaw were full of metal to hold the broken bones together, and we had a really stressful month when he couldn't eat anything solid, but we got through it together. I went on the liquid diet with him, for moral support. To let him know I would walk it with him.

Two of his adult teeth are dead, and one broken off so low it might still die, but they were "remarkably stable" when the metal bar was removed from his maxilla, over his upper gumline.

He's going to be getting dental work into his 20s. But he's 14 now, alive, and in the other room right now on his PC playing Overwatch and lisp-laughing with his friends.

Every day is a great day. Every day is the best day in the history of the world.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

GORDON posted:

I'm a very involved single father of a (now) 14 year old son. Every day with him is a gift, and I've never lost sight of that.

So when I watched him, as a city pedestrian, get hit by a speeding car that jumped the curb, I felt my universe crumbling as I held him on the side of the road, thinking I was watching him die. He was spitting blood, he was twisted, and he was knocked out of his shoe.... but only one, so the theory holds up. But I watched him go airborne and fly over the car, and I saw the facial lacerations and broken teeth and mouth fulls of blood that he just couldn't keep clear. I kept my poo poo together, for him, comforting him, telling him everything is going to be fine. I watched and held my broken, twisted son bleed on the side of the road as the feet of the driver of the car circled us saying over and over, "Holy gently caress, holy gently caress." Next thing I knew the paramedics were pulling me off of him.

Fractured skull, fractured pelvis, a mouth full of broken teeth. I couldn't sleep that night, and when I did the nurses kept rousing me, as I was screaming. I couldn't stop replaying it over and over in my mind, when I closed my eyes.

His recovery was a miracle. The pelvic fracture was in such a spot where it wasn't load-bearing, so he didn't get casted... and he was walking in days. Without a limp in a week. His mouth and jaw were full of metal to hold the broken bones together, and we had a really stressful month when he couldn't eat anything solid, but we got through it together. I went on the liquid diet with him, for moral support. To let him know I would walk it with him.

Two of his adult teeth are dead, and one broken off so low it might still die, but they were "remarkably stable" when the metal bar was removed from his maxilla, over his upper gumline.

He's going to be getting dental work into his 20s. But he's 14 now, alive, and in the other room right now on his PC playing Overwatch and lisp-laughing with his friends.

Every day is a great day. Every day is the best day in the history of the world.

Holy gently caress Dude.

I'm glad it all seemed to work out in the end. Goon Bless. I dig your positive attitude.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

GORDON posted:

Holy gently caress, dude. I am so glad this worked out for you and your son. Godspeed.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

GORDON posted:

Gordon, thanks for sharing this. Im glad your son is recovering so well. Good luck to both of you. <3

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My Shoes posted:

Gordon, thanks for sharing this. Im glad your son is recovering so well. Good luck to both of you. <3

This is a good thread, and people should take more time to realize life isn't always terrible. :)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

GORDON posted:

This is a good thread, and people should take more time to realize life isn't always terrible. :)

Thanks. True. :)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

UT finally won a game, so a lot of people in my town seem to be pretty happy today.

Now if I can just get my friend to hurry up and come over and hang out, itll be a great night.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I am in constant pain but my wife is making fajitas for dinner so overall net positive I think.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

I am in constant pain but my wife is making fajitas for dinner so overall net positive I think.

why are you in constant pain?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m trying to lose weight so my knees don’t hurt but the 5-10 miles of daily uphill bike riding makes my knees hurt

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

I’m trying to lose weight so my knees don’t hurt but the 5-10 miles of daily uphill bike riding makes my knees hurt

That's awesome that you're goin for it tho. :) When I lost weight everything about my health improved. Its great! Keep at it, man.

Have you tried spin classes or the elliptical? I know ellipticals and spin classes are low-impact so it wouldn't be as bad on your knees. Also, swimming.. its non-impact.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

My Shoes posted:

That's awesome that you're goin for it tho. :) When I lost weight everything about my health improved. Its great! Keep at it, man.

Have you tried spin classes or the elliptical? I know ellipticals and spin classes are low-impact so it wouldn't be as bad on your knees. Also, swimming.. its non-impact.

What if the water is frozen?

:confused:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Literally A Person posted:

What if the water is frozen?

:confused:

That would probably be bad on his knees. :P

channel z
Aug 10, 2019

by VideoGames
still being stalked and harassed, but i stopped caring and there's a pending restraining order so it's really immaterial.

cost me a couple bucks but itll be well worth it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

channel z posted:

still being stalked and harassed, but i stopped caring and there's a pending restraining order so it's really immaterial.

cost me a couple bucks but itll be well worth it.

Really?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

What the hell man? seriously?!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm making a scarf! :kimchi: Knitting is a really easy hobby to get into, I highly recommend it

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Knitting is cool. I love to knit... What pattern are you using for the scarf?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
It's Sunday, my only whole day off. (Running your own business eats so much time, but it's worth it.) I was trapped in bed by my cat laying on me until noon. Then I had to run take care of a problem at the store, but on the way back I stopped by Starbucks and they had pumpkin scones again! So now I'm home enjoying the early afternoon, windows open in the house to let in the fresh cool air, and the radio in the background.

Also I started volunteering at a thrift store on Saturday mornings. They sell donated items to raise money for the county humane society and a low-cost spay/neuter clinic, and everyone who works there is a volunteer. It's really nice, and gets me out of the house for something other than work.

Literally A Person posted:

3oz fat
3oz sugar
5oz flour
1/2 an egg

cream fat and sug. beat in egg. fold in flour. pipe onto a greased baking sheet ( i use a silicone pad) bake in a 400F oven for 10-15 minutes. cool on a rack.
THANK YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I've got a friend who's being just a little too dense about wanting to spend time with me.
Like, are we a thing or what? Also my dad killed himself this year and my you missed my birthday two weeks ago. I don't really like you.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

I've got a friend who's being just a little too dense about wanting to spend time with me.
Like, are we a thing or what? Also my dad killed himself this year and my you missed my birthday two weeks ago. I don't really like you.

not sure how this is a good thing

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

My Shoes posted:

not sure how this is a good thing

I guess its good because I'm receiving attention; but like; at some point its too much of a good thing and I just want to be my antisocial self. leave me alone Zach you're being annoying

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

I guess its good because I'm receiving attention; but like; at some point its too much of a good thing and I just want to be my antisocial self. leave me alone Zach you're being annoying

poor Zach.. trying to like a goon.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

You okay, bud? poo poo for us goes South, all the time. Hope you're doing okay.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

posting in a good thread with a cool op :banjo:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

My Shoes posted:

Knitting is cool. I love to knit... What pattern are you using for the scarf?

This one. It's very easy to make - you just have to know how to knit, purl, switch between different color yarns, and cast on and off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also going through the year from hell with little chance of that changing any time soon. I’m glad you got to have a highlight and hopefully forget about whatever you’re going through even if it was for just a night.

Heading back home after a mini break and it was good to see some friends from back home who I rarely see. Trying to concentrate on that despite my brain doing its best to make me feel miserable.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

posting in a good thread with a cool op :banjo:

<3

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also going through the year from hell with little chance of that changing any time soon. I’m glad you got to have a highlight and hopefully forget about whatever you’re going through even if it was for just a night.

Heading back home after a mini break and it was good to see some friends from back home who I rarely see. Trying to concentrate on that despite my brain doing its best to make me feel miserable.

Thanks man.

Sorry you're going through a hard time as well. Hard to know what to do or even feel like it matters when everybody's insane in this hosed up world, but keep trying to focus on the positive. I hope things get better for you soon.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I brought back a ridiculous amount of edibles from California, and I will share them with my sister and bro in law at the family cabin in 3 weeks.

I will see Rocky Horror in Fort Collins with a dear friend in 2 weeks.

I have tickets to see Haley Heynderickx & Lucy Dacus in DC.

I felt like poo poo for barely reading anything this year and now I'm blazing through some Terry Pratchett novels so that feels good.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
This week I get a break from an insanely awkward and uncomfortable ongoing situation at work, and that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I feel like there is a perception on SA that if you post a lot it's a bad thing. But IDK. I think it's a good thing.

PS: Glad you're gettin a break Obsidianheart.