Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I’m really enjoying how heavy they’re leaning into how Chicago Gotham is. Anything that tracks back to the Dark Knight is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I could be wrong but I think most of the Chicago filming was just for the crossover and the pilot so expect it to look less Chicago and more CW Vancoucer as the season goes on, outside of transitional master shots.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was fine. Like I guess we'll get a origin story because Kate's origin isn't well known.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

I could be wrong but I think most of the Chicago filming was just for the crossover and the pilot so expect it to look less Chicago and more CW Vancoucer as the season goes on, outside of transitional master shots.

That's what I was kind of afraid of, but it's not the end of the world. Supergirl kinda lost some of its personality when it went from LA to Vancouver, for everything it gained in making crossovers more accessible.

But by and large this was fairly decent start and I can't wait to see how the how moves forward from here. I can't believe the fragile male minds of the internet lost their poo poo over what was ultimately one line of dialog in a 45 minute television episode, but eh, men gonna men. Hopefully they get more Not Mad as the show goes on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

After her mother and sister were killed by a shoddily constructed bumper, following the Batman methodology shouldn't she become OSHA Woman?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

After her mother and sister were killed by a shoddily constructed bumper, following the Batman methodology shouldn't she become OSHA Woman?

Nah, if this follows Batlore, she'd swear off driving any vehicle with a bumper ever again, just like Bruce forswore ever using a gun :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

Chicago filming was for flyover shots too iirc so all of the street stuff is Vancouver, but a bunch of establishing shots are Chicago to give the illusion of a more art deco city.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ded posted:

Ruby has already had back surgery because of this show. Hope it can last.

Ruby almost got loving paralyzed for life doing stunts for it. Sheesh. I mean, there’s dedicated, and then...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, they were watching the Mask of Zorro! IUnderstoodThatReference.jpg

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dawgstar posted:

Aw, they were watching the Mask of Zorro! IUnderstoodThatReference.jpg

zur

en

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that wasn't great.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I like Ruby Rose. She has great screen presence.
I hope it's a good show but I'm not holding my breath.

ded posted:

Ruby has already had back surgery because of this show. Hope it can last.

drat. :(

Appraently she's been suffering from back issues for over a decade.

howe_sam posted:

And there's our obligatory CW love triangle.

CW gonna CW.

itry fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 7, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "You're the female Bruce Wayne" line was a little groan-y. The pilot was okay but I'm more interested in where it is going to end up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think its funny that Kate isn't allowed to join the Crows unless she trains, but I doubt all the other agents went though crazy training.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the degree to how hardcore the training is was supposed to be up to Kate?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought the degree to how hardcore the training is was supposed to be up to Kate?

I like to imagine that since her dad was just trying to keep her from joining the Crows and putting herself in danger he kept moving the goalposts. Like, "Okay dad, I learned how to escape from handcuffs" "umm... well you have to be able to do it underwater to join us. Under freezing water! You'll quit now, right? Please quit."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I like to imagine that since her dad was just trying to keep her from joining the Crows and putting herself in danger he kept moving the goalposts. Like, "Okay dad, I learned how to escape from handcuffs" "umm... well you have to be able to do it underwater to join us. Under freezing water! You'll quit now, right? Please quit."

Yeah, one of the things the pilot does is make sure you know that Kate's dad is kind of a massive shitbag, and her cutting him off and giving up trying to please him is a very good thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I can't rewatch it right now to pin down, but something about the opening scene had me thinking Kate's stepmom was an ex of her dad and married to the police Commissioner and so I was really trying to sort out the dynamics of the whole thing and why he kissed her at the checkpoint.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I can't rewatch it right now to pin down, but something about the opening scene had me thinking Kate's stepmom was an ex of her dad and married to the police Commissioner and so I was really trying to sort out the dynamics of the whole thing and why he kissed her at the checkpoint.

I thought she was the mayor because she was giving the "gently caress Batman, turn off the Bat-Signal" speech behind a big "MAYOR!" banner, and then no, the black dude's the mayor, I guess :shrug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

That confused me too because I assumed Kate's dad was originally the Police Commissioner (which might still be true?) but that was probably just the Pilot being odd since it didn't do anything to set up those characters beforehand.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

I thought she was the mayor because she was giving the "gently caress Batman, turn off the Bat-Signal" speech behind a big "MAYOR!" banner, and then no, the black dude's the mayor, I guess :shrug:

That Mayor really looked like he could have been from the BTAS, but live action.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That Mayor really looked like he could have been from the BTAS, but live action.

Because The Dark Knight is the most perfect Batman media property ever created, Nestor Carbonell will always be the Mayor of Gotham City to me.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Ehhhhhh. It could go either way.

I think ill keep watching for a few more episodes and see what happens.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-batwoman-premiere-1203361151/

Looks like Batwoman's gonna be sticking around to make the fragile men of the internet scream and cry a long while longer.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/08/batwoman-supergirl-worlds-finest-the-cw/

Also we're getting that Supergirl crossover teased in Elseworlds right off the bat, it seems.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

nine-gear crow posted:

right off the bat

:downsrim:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the dudes that are out there going "I guess BATMAN can't be a man anymore" as if Batwoman is some new creation that hasn't been around for decades and even the current incarnation has been well established.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-batwoman-premiere-1203361151/

Looks like Batwoman's gonna be sticking around to make the fragile men of the internet scream and cry a long while longer.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/08/batwoman-supergirl-worlds-finest-the-cw/

Also we're getting that Supergirl crossover teased in Elseworlds right off the bat, it seems.

That's definitely a strong showing against most of the networks even if nothing can top Football. Hopefully it does well enough into the midseason to get greenlit for S2 (it likely will)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been a 100% off the DCW train for over a season, so anyone got a TL:DR on how much this and the other shows are sucking right now?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That's definitely a strong showing against most of the networks even if nothing can top Football. Hopefully it does well enough into the midseason to get greenlit for S2 (it likely will)

From the look of it alt-right grognards are trying to review bomb it into oblivion on Rotten Tomatoes likes they did with Captain Marvel so they can go "oh, look at all these totally real people who really hate this basic cable super hero show with a burning rational anger for some reason". And if I were a CW exec that would be all the evidence I needed to fast track it for an early renewal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I've been a 100% off the DCW train for over a season, so anyone got a TL:DR on how much this and the other shows are sucking right now?

Everything just started this season. Last season, LoT and BL are still basically the best. Supergirl was definitely a bit ham handed with the message it was going with but Manchester Black was a treat. Flash was Flash. Arrow did flash forwards instead of flashbacks and was not great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Well we've only had one episode on half the shows (Flarrow Tuesday doesn't start for another hour in my time zone and Legends is out until January aside from being part of the Crisis) so I don't know what you're expecting, but...
Batwoman: It's okay. Hard to tell from a pilot because those are always frantically trying to set the scene for the show and exposition dumps.
Supergirl: some potential but they're leaning hard on one plotline that would be better as "I forgive you but we need to deal with the bridges I burned while angry" instead of CW Drama. Backseat scriptwriting aside, Lena in angry monologue mode just feels dead compared to what the actress does with her most of the time.
Black Lightning: Still great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't expecting anything, i didn't know how far into everything you were. I took them off my calanders.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I wasn't expecting anything, i didn't know how far into everything you were. I took them off my calanders.

You probably could've just googled how far everything along was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

You probably could've just googled how far everything along was.

I was asking for a goon point of view. I didn't ask how many episodes had aired.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Watching the re-air tonight after Flash, I caught what threw me in the opening. When Kate's stepmom (do we have a name for her?) addressed her dad she called him "Commander" and I heard "Commissioner" so I was trying to create an extra character since Kate's narrative established her dad as the head of Crow Security immediately afterward. It's only when Mary calls out her stepsister relationship to Kate that the mental map went "wait what" and had to re-evaluate everything to find out what I mis-parsed.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I feel like this episode should have been a double episode. There was an information overload with all the family characters and the backstory being dumped on the audience while a normal plot and and origin was going on as well. As it was I feel like they skipped over important moments, like Kate convincing Fox to help her and make the suit, and her giving the gadgets and suit a test run, in favour of things like her step sister’s medical practice. I get that the latter is probably going to be important, but it could have been done an episode or two later, and would have given more emotional weight to Kate having misjudged her step-sister’s character. Nothing really got time to breathe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joker spoilers in regards to the first ep of Batwoman.

I don’t know Kane’s backstory from the comics buts it’s interesting they made her first episode nemesis her sister considering the implications that Batman and Joker are half brothers in the new joker film. Also, did I read that right or was Joker also responsible for Kane’s mom’s death as well?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel like this episode should have been a double episode. There was an information overload with all the family characters and the backstory being dumped on the audience while a normal plot and and origin was going on as well. As it was I feel like they skipped over important moments, like Kate convincing Fox to help her and make the suit, and her giving the gadgets and suit a test run, in favour of things like her step sister’s medical practice. I get that the latter is probably going to be important, but it could have been done an episode or two later, and would have given more emotional weight to Kate having misjudged her step-sister’s character. Nothing really got time to breathe.

This is the pilot which is why it's a bit rushed. Everyone who's relevant for at least a good chunk of the season has to be included and characterized in some manner. All of the high points are getting set up and the details are intended to be filled in for when it's greenlit (which it has). Count on Fox being a whiny nerd in the next episode or two and all of the stuff from the Pilot more fully fleshed out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Joker spoilers in regards to the first ep of Batwoman.

I don’t know Kane’s backstory from the comics buts it’s interesting they made her first episode nemesis her sister considering the implications that Batman and Joker are half brothers in the new joker film. Also, did I read that right or was Joker also responsible for Kane’s mom’s death as well?

Yes. The the newspaper clipping in the Batcave says the Joker was responsible for the school bus accident that drove their car off the bridge. Luke said Batman secured their car first before going to save the bus full of kids, only the bumper on the car came off unexpectedly.

The implication seems to be that Beth wound up with the Mad Hatter at some point and became his Alice before spinning off on her own, which is a thing in the comics: the Hatter kidnaps a college student and brainwashes her into becoming Alice and she then becomes his partner in crime/understudy. She was kind of the prototype for Harley Quinn in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Solid pilot but jesus gently caress is that costume awful.

Am I looking at that shitshow all season or are we going to transition to the red haired Elseworld's variant soon? Please say yes.