Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The first few episodes of arrow were kinda weird because he didn't have a team and so we had a lot of Dexter style internal monologue going on. The show worked a lot better once Oliver got a few people on board and he had other characters to interact with. That being said, I also think the Arrow supporting cast was more compelling.

Here, Kate still doesn't have a proper team- I don't think fox counts yet - so we still have all that internal monologue that gets kinda old. the cast is smaller as well and the non antagonistic characters are still kinda bland blank slates. Also it's early days yet but the action scenes are kinda poor. I don't get the impression she's a badass like I did with Oliver even from the get go, and we haven't seen a proper good extended, well choreographed fight scene yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I wanna say that this is in Supergirl's universe.

It's not. Elseworld made it pretty clear that Batwoman was on Earth 1.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

People can be incorrect about a confusing thing without being morons.

True; but in my experience when they are incorrect about something that is actually extremely straight forward and explicitly laid out in such a way that anyone paying even the slightest amount of attention ought to be able to comprehend; then they are most likely morons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

That is literally how business works in the DCCW universe. Remember how Oliver Queen had tons of money and owned at least a good chunk of his family's business and then he got voted out as CEO and suddenly had no money?

Then Felicity got fired as the owner of Palmertech.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think one of the fundamental flaws of this show is that Kate really doesn't feel like a badass. Today she stood around and let a car ram into her, then in the fight with the executioner she was overpowered right away. She seems like someone in over her head that has some fun toys that she can use as crutches. Compare it to batman on screen, or Oliver Queen on Arrow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah, for all of her training she really hasn't shown to be a significantly better fighter than anyone she's come up against, including Alice. She straight-up lost the fight to Big Slow Axe Guy tonight.

On Arrow, Oliver disappeared for five years and came back with scars and mysterious new skills. There was a sense his training had changed him. Kate seems to have learned to hold her breath for a long time, but otherwise appears to be pretty much exactly the same person she was in the military academy flashbacks.

Edit: I wonder if the issue is that Ruby Rose just isn't on the same level as Stephen Amell or Caity Lotz. Even just a salmon ladder or maskless training session would go a long way to showing her as a physical force.

The physicality of the actor shouldn't be a huge impediment given stunt doubles and CGI.

Also things like good choreography help, but tonight wasn't a question of them not 'showing her as a physical force' adequately. The writing team made a deliberate decision to have Batwoman get clowned on by a random middle aged dude with no discernible hand to hand combat training.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 11, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Batwoman isn't a badass because she isn't being written as a badass. The actress can only do what's in the script and what the choreographers tell her to do. I don't see any particular signs based on non action sequences that she's a bad actor. The writers decided to have Batwoman trivially overpowered by a random chubby middle aged dude; not Ruby Rose.

Now maybe they're deliberately trying to tell the story of a woman who's in way over her head and isn't particularly good at being a superhero; that concept even has potential; but this writing team isn't skilled enough to pull it off.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

And if that is their intent, then why did they start by showing her getting this elite super-warrior training? We've been told that she couldn't complete the normal training due to outside forces so she went out and found the best teachers to give her the best training, essentially becoming Batman by accident - but then when she tries to put it into practice she just can't?

I don't actually think that was the intent, I think the writing is just bad. Though to be fair, We didn't see that much training. Only that one swimming lesson. Arrow by comparison spent 5 years showing us how Oliver got to be the person he was in episode 1.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think a show should be given some leeway in the first season. Very few shows are excellent right from the get go. That being said if it is the intent of the writers to tell a story of someone who is only just learning to be a hero and currently honestly kind of sucks at it; then they're doing a bad job of making that story compelling.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Then again, Supergirl played it real coy at first with the “your cousin” bullshit and look how that turned out. In a couple years we may have a tiny Batman series.

I certainly believe anything is possible; but supergirl's first season, although weaker than Arrow or Flash, was still a fair bit better than Batwoman currently is. Even season 1 of LoT was better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oracle posted:

Whoa buddy let’s not say anything we can’t take back here.

I regret nothing

Also I just realised we've already had a tiny batman series.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I guess Kate took a martial arts class or something, since she went from not being able to take out a chubby middle aged dude with no martial history to taking out a bunch of highly trained paramilitary troops.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Weren't the Crows for that event replaced by Alice's goons?

Actually you're right.

Oh well at least she took out a bunch of somewhat experienced violent thugs. That's progress at least.

In any case those fight scenes are how I drat well expect Batwoman to fight, and I hope the showrunners can remember that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Reddit went batshit on it when the first trailer dropped and they heard that line about the Batsuit being perfect... when it fits a woman. And from what I can tell they still have not come down from their WOMZ RUINED MY BATMENS CANCEL IT NOW perch, and never will until the show finally comes to an end. And even then a splinter of it will be stuck in their brains until they die.

So probably a bad example to pick in terms of "how are normal people reacting to the show?"

In fairness though, the question Xelkelvos asked was 'how are normal people reacting to the show?' not 'How are redditors reacting to the show?'

I don't think it's completely hopeless. And supergirl had a really good episode this week.

Edit: just caught up on this week's batwoman, and it's the strongest episode of the season so far I think. I'd go so far as to call it good.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 24, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The show definitely had the weakest start of any DC-CW show; but I think it’s improved quite a bit. I still think it’s the weakest show but it also doesn’t have the history that other shows have.

Plenty of great shows had weak first or sometimes even second seasons; we’ve just grown more impatient over the years.

I find myself wondering if this show couldn’t have been improved by having Kate start out on arrow and train under Oliver or something for a season before moving to Gotham and taking up the batwoman mantle.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

Is the power source for it kryptonite?

Can’t have been; the episode was pre crisis.

If whatever the weapon in the journal is requires kryptonite then either the journal didn’t exist pre crisis or it contained something else pre crisis.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I hope they use it as an excuse to get a mini crossover happening.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TwoPair posted:

You're right about losing the betrayal angle, but I could see it working pretty well as a method to introduce a Bruce to this universe when/if they ever do that. Like, have it start off, Kate & crew are like "How can we stop this?" and then there's a dramatic entrance, Bruce shows up, and says "You can't", bum bum bum, cut to commercial

You mean cut to end credits; for either a season or mid season finale right?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fewer voiceover monologues as well, which I appreciated. Seems like less of the annoying radio host voiceovers too, which is even better, they need to go.

Arrow had the same problem as well early in Season 1 - It felt almost Dexter-ish, I don't know if that was deliberate. Because Oliver didn't have anyone else in the know to deliver exposition to; the show used voiceovers. Once Oliver had a team, they went away. Same cycle seems to be happening here and the show is better for it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s a pity Arrow didn’t get one more season because Oliver would have been a good choice for a minor crossover. He and Kate would work well together.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arrowverse is the perfect setting to recast someone. They could even have the time idiots gently caress something up and cause it if they want to address it in setting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Argue posted:

The time idiots' changes to history have always been contained to their show. Now, Barry Allen the time criminal, on the other hand--there's a fucker whose time travel actually butterfly effects onto other shows.

That works for me too. Opening episode of Season 1. We have a first person camera from Kate's perspective. She goes to look in the mirror; yells out "drat it Barry what did you do!" then the Camera pans and we see the new actor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stanfield posted:

I love Batwoman but just felt uncomfortable watching a show starring Ruby Rose so I've barely seen any of it.

As someone who had never heard of Ruby Rose before this show; is there some thing that happened that made people hate her?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I thought she did a great job in John Wick 2 playing a mute assassin.

That's not a back-handed compliment; she's got a good physicality and she can be very emotive, it's just that her dialogue delivery is inconsistent at best, and her voice over work is loving atrocious.

Maybe she struggles with the American accent?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sirotan posted:

lol, I had no idea she wasn't American

I had never heard of her before John Wick 2 and her acting was convincing enough to me that I assumed she actually was deaf, I kinda don't get the complaints about her acting abilities at all. Maybe I suck at judging these things but I'll be sad to see her go from this show.

She's Australian.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

What happened to make this show more dangerous vs Arrow?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mean if you’re removing the character all together; how does that flow to the rest of the show? It’s hugely personal - Alice is Kate’s sister; her dad just tried to kill her, etc. you’d have to basically scrap the whole show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The only way it even comes close to working is if we have a shot in episode one of a stunt person in the batsuit or something; and batwoman gets killed or something; and everyone finds out it was Kate Kane. Then the season becomes about someone else taking up the mantle.

Otherwise you basically have to sack the whole cast and do a reboot. At this point I’m not sure I wouldn’t prefer it to be a one season wonder and have them just shift to Arrow Beyond instead (assuming the rumours are true and that show wasn’t going to end up happening). I was impressed with Mia from what I saw on arrow; I think she’s a much better character to carry a show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If they’re going to kill the character it has to be the dad. He kills her; pulls of the mask; has a breakdown.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

Every Arrow show is allowed one bad season, see The Legends Act 2016

One could make the argument that Batwoman has already met its quota in that regard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've been led to understand that Ruby had filmed a couple of episodes of season 2 so hopefully they can cobble together at least a marginally coherent plotline out of her departure. I still want her dad to end up killing her, only to go insane once he realises what he's done.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I understand what they were going for, but it was still really dumb to give someone who is supposed to be basically a ninja a neon red wig that stands out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

One episode in, and the new Batwoman is already a more convincing badass than Ruby Rose managed to be in an entire season.

I'm actually more hopeful now that I have been at really any point in season 1. This might actually work. Really hope they don't go down the road of Kate's dad seeing the new Batwoman and thinking it wasn't Kate in season 1 after all.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 18, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

What I want to know is; what are they planning to with the kryptonite wound at the end. Are they going to turn Ryan into some kind of meta human? Or perhaps she already is one and that’s why the bullet didn’t go right through her?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I don't think Alice has ever really been the problem in and of herself, but rather the interplay between her and Kate that resulted in this weird frenemy thing they had going on for most of the season. With Kate gone we have a Batwoman for whom Alice is just the leader of the gang that murdered her mum, and so the show can progress without the sister baggage.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Did everyone forget to watch the new episode?

I'm enjoying this. I'm legitimately stunned beyond belief that they not only salvaged this show but made it better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We can add fashion sense to the things Ryan does way better than Kate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

howe_sam posted:

She broke her drat neck.

I mean, that's a workplace accident, which could happen in many workplaces. A phrase like 'crap to endure' implies something with a bit more malice, like bullying or something.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or they just ignore it. In ten seasons, some character asks "What ever happened to Kate anyway? Well I guess she did die back then."
Just completely memory hole her. Ryan was always batwoman.
I haven't seen any episodes of this show, so I don't know how viable that is.

By the way, is the show good, now that the lead has been replaced?
I think the show has considerably improved. I look forward to each new episode which is more than I could say for season 1.

Tiggum posted:

No. It might improve if they actually start focusing on new stories with the new lead, but as long as they keep giving so much time and attention to Kate's nemesis and Kate's ex-girlfriend and Kate's dad and the mystery of whether Kate's dead or not - there's no chance.

I don't mind them deciding to build the season around the mystery of what happened to Kate - Presumably they already had well advanced plans for season 2 which they had to toss out completely on short notice, and then put together a season of television during a pandemic. I won't begrudge them choosing the easy and obvious pillar to use as the backbone of the season. I don't think it's an inherently bad plotline, but I would have preferred them to definitively kill Kate off right away and then proceed with solving the mystery of why she died.

Alice is also better now that there isn't that weird frenemy thing happening with Kate - I feel like things will actually build to a proper confrontation/takedown between her and Ryan. I do think they need to resolve the arc by the end of the season and then move on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I find it hard to believe something like that could manage to happen in secret in this day and age