Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

This show is gonna get soooooooooooo many people mad.

Oh man just announcing Rose alone was causing the other arrowverse threads to post all kind of opinions

Brace yourself dis gon b gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wow Batman's a jerk.

correct

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also I'm already down af for Alice. She's already doing her job as Female Joker

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I feel like this is already moving an at a million miles an hour and I'm okay with it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

After watching The Good Place, nothing can match its pace, but as a pilot it's definitely trying to set up all of the pieces on the board that it wants to play with quickly. Also, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the casting to realize that Kate's step-sister is Asian

Holy poo poo I hate Kate's step-mom already.

It's not surprising. I was wondering how they were going to catch the series up to where it was last year in time for crisis and welp.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You're doing this because Poe wrote on both of them? :thunk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

She sure figured out how to use the suit and toys quickly.

I mean, it's just a show, buuut

Bruce was a kung fu punchy kicky guy. Kate's a soldier with mercenary training and would probably cap a dude if it came to it, so she's going to pick up tactical gear quicker.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Really glad they didn't drag the world's most obvious mystery out longer than an episode but it's gonna throw off the Batman/Joker dynamic if they're sisters and that was going really well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ded posted:

Ruby has already had back surgery because of this show. Hope it can last.

Ruby almost got loving paralyzed for life doing stunts for it. Sheesh. I mean, there’s dedicated, and then...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dawgstar posted:

Aw, they were watching the Mask of Zorro! IUnderstoodThatReference.jpg

zur

en

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

This is the pilot which is why it's a bit rushed. Everyone who's relevant for at least a good chunk of the season has to be included and characterized in some manner. All of the high points are getting set up and the details are intended to be filled in for when it's greenlit (which it has). Count on Fox being a whiny nerd in the next episode or two and all of the stuff from the Pilot more fully fleshed out.

I'm remembering how poorly received Supergirl's pilot was around here so I expect this show to go on for 10 seasons and become a runaway hit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

The wig and the proper Batwoman cowl is coming next week, so it’s time is mercifully over.

Oh thank gods.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

Batwoman? More like Break-expensive-poo poo-because-you-can't-catch-a-Batarang-woman :haw:

E: Thanks Rachel Maddow

I need a gif of Kate’s “whoopsie” expression like yesterday

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

lesbianforce

there's an off color joke to be made here but I'm just going to walk away

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I always feel broke brained coming in for season 1 of shows because I'm all "I really like this I think it's gonna be even better once it gets its footing :)" and the rest of the thread is going "THIS SUCKS CANCEL IT YESTERDAY BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD"

idgi but it does make me laugh so

ty

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ahahahaha Ollie you rear end in a top hat. It's Barry's job to screw up the space/time continuum!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna double down on my "Alice kidnaps Beth and turns her into another Alice" theory right now. It's too stupid for them to not do it.

Why on gods green earth do you keep watching this show if you hate it so much

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

I love this fuckin show.

my apologies I have you mixed up with someone else

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe Alice will violently murder Sophie.

A man can dream.

Also I can't believe they didn't make Mouse into Jane Doe instead. Or even John Doe if they want to keep him a him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's definitely a missed opportunity. They might do something weird instead where it turns out Mouse learned his stuff from his mother who's now locked up in Arkham as a Jane Doe or just wandering about under a false identity.

Jane Doe probably has the worst ratio of awesome batman gimmick to frequent use in storylines and I don't understand why she doesn't crop up more often.

or maybe

she does :tinfoil:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The best part of this is when Sophie shoots first and asks questions never when she sees Beth.

After all, Kate told everybody what her wish was when she blew out the candle.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Maroyalty.

flawless victory

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Azhais posted:

Just bring in the Harley Quinn version of Bane

Batwoman is a realtor? I am not the enemy here, gentrification is! I will EXPLODE gentrification!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The problem with this series isn't Alice, it's Mouse. It's Mouse and his janky rear end dimestore Professor Pyg dad. They're a drag on the entire series, the sole lynchpin of CAN ALICE BE SAVED???, and the most boring villain/actor in the history of everything ever. His one talent is... pretending to be other people? Hooray? It's like someone took Hush or Jane Doe and went, how can we make this the least interesting thing on screen at any given time AND actively tank interest in the show with it?

Take Mouse out, and it's just a story of Batwoman trying to redeem her sister and slowly finding out nope, she's just a grinning Joker style sociopath who wants to murder the entire world, which would be a million times more interesting than right now. If they wanted to use Mouse as a character that bad, they should've had his death be the point where Alice snapped and then reveal at the season climax he's been playing her the whole time. And also come up with a better name for him than loving Mouse. They couldn't even be bothered to call him Doormouse. That's how little effort they put into this character.

I'm pretty confident season 2 will be better since this wouldn't be the first time Arrowverse writers have hosed up a season and kicked out of it afterwards, but I'm checking out for now. I had to do that twice with Arrow, and it looks like this show is cruising its way towards season 2 in ratings, so it should be fine and I'll come back later unless something really wild happens. Just... just get rid of Mouse. Please. It's like the hawks on LoT, dropping him would instantly improve the season up to at least "watchable."

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 19, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
*reads last two pages*

Well. Well Batwoman certainly went places.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

I might actually have to binge the last couple of episodes. gently caress me that the show suddenly gets legitimately good immediately after I swore off watching it.

That's how it is with cw shows though and I kind of called it (:smug:) a few months ago. After the writing staff lays out a turd of a season they usually go "whoops sorry here's something better."

Although I suppose in this case the episodes were already written so maybe we just worked our way through the initial feeling out scripts? Idk

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I was hoping they'd put Alice and Mouse on ice for awhile after locking them up.

Paging Nora Fries to the show. Nora Fries, to the show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I was kinda hoping they'd do a plotline where Mary became a sidekick for ersatz-Batwoman to prove to Kate she could do it but that might have been too fun for this show.

Wait are they making Mary Firebird? :frogon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Finally caught up on the episode.

Things I need more of: Hush being a mastermind, broken Kevin Conroy Bruce, Julia Pennyworth being british
Things I need less of: anything to do with Mouse

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

She's basically just a costumed jewel thief though her stint in Arkham was more for severe kleptomania before getting killed off.

Her last appearance is in the new Suicide Squad series where she's red shirt'd along with Cavalier (a more obscure one note villain)

I mean she thinks she's a bird so Arkham probably isn't that bad a fit.

I do hope they keep keep her around, though. For some reason she's really endearing to me.

Also we need more dorky Kate. Best moment if the series so far was her hucking a batarang, completely missing the return, shattering a priceless case, and going "...whoopsie"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's because there's less sister-angst. That was the big albatross around the neck of the series up to this point.

so was mouse and he's been relegated to being a background stooge the last few episodes. I highly approve and hope the trend continues because he really is the worst as a focal character but makes a great one-dimensional sidekick.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LongDarkNight posted:

This was a real fun episode, great fight choreography, villains bouncing off each other, drama!

Every member of the bat family is at their best when they gently caress up and Alfred/Robin has to save them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with turning Tommy into Hush is the actor really doesn't have a good head for the bandage look because it made his head look huge. Also under his bandages Hush is supposed to look like Bruce which is a problem for a show that hasn't cast him yet.

Ehn, Alice will eventually sew a Kevin Conroy skin mask onto him at some point and it'll be fine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oh jay posted:

When I realized where they were going with all this, I started squinting and could see him as a young Kevin Conroy. Similar tall, gaunt face I think.

I cannot possibly express how happy I am Crisis made Conroy literally Bruce Wayne.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

McSpanky posted:

I had long maintained that Conroy could pull it off in live action and just about poo poo myself when they actually did it.

Lucifer was the one that got me. I hadn't been spoiled yet and was literally going "No. Is that .. no. It couldn't be." and then it was

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
More dorky Kate! Mouse is going to whine his way right into Alice knifing him! Arkham Asylum on a Wednesday which means everyone's let out of their cell again!

If Hush can tone it down a bit, things are looking up. I'm really glad this show finally unfucked itself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe next season they could give Kate a sidekick. They need to fill out the Bat team and a ward is a logical next step. Maybe Stephanie Brown?

If they don't make Mary Firebird, they could probably do hacker girl as Spoiler.

Getting Steph would be the bees knees though, she got done dirty by new 52

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

After Batman disappeared, he clearly fell into a drunken gutter ala Jim Gordon in Harley Quinn.

You shut your mouth! He's a drat good cop!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
welp so much for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to express my pre-emptive sympathies to whomever is ultimately cast as the new Kate, because Awful Internet Men are going to ham on her just as hard as they did on Ruby Rose :smith:

It's really disappointing because Rose was basically custom made for this role but it's killing her faster than it did Amell. :smith: