Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought the degree to how hardcore the training is was supposed to be up to Kate?

I like to imagine that since her dad was just trying to keep her from joining the Crows and putting herself in danger he kept moving the goalposts. Like, "Okay dad, I learned how to escape from handcuffs" "umm... well you have to be able to do it underwater to join us. Under freezing water! You'll quit now, right? Please quit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

So does anyone have an idea of the age difference between Kate Kane & Bruce Wayne? Judging from the fact that Batman saved her when she was a young school girl, I'd have to say it's at least a 20 year age difference.

If Bruce got started Batmanning early it could be as low as 10. I forget, did they ever say how old Kate was at the time of the car accident? Because I feel like if she was 10 or 11, that'd work with Bruce being in his 20s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

But I think everyone in the Arrowverse would crumble into dust if they filmed out side of Vancouver. Plus they'd be getting into Streaming territory. The Boys, Umbrella Academy, Expanse and Star Trek Disco are all shot here.

Where's the next cheapest city (and/or city that offers the most tax breaks) to shoot in North America? Maybe there'd be a whole new Crisis that ends with the Arrowverse moving to... idk, Georgia? Seems like a lot of stuff's filmed there...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Every Arrowverse show should be able to utilize speedforce.gif to get out of explaining poo poo.

For Batwoman it seems like it's gonna be costumeforce.jpg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kept waiting for the evil guy in this episode to be revealed as the Mad Hatter as an explanation for all the Alice poo poo, but no, I guess she just really took to that book. Or maybe Professor Pyg to explain all the creepy face/skin stuff. But no, he was just a real hosed up guy I guess.

Also I get that she was basically tortured to the point of having a mental break, but it's kinda bullshit that Alice is blaming this all on Kate because she didn't feel "a twin thing" even though she totally did and Beth just didn't respond in any way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Also did anyone else find the scene with Mary and her mom weirdly ADR'd? The dialog was weirdly out of synch, and it was really off putting.

Oh thank God I'm not the only one. That scene made me think I had DVR problems.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Are either Kate or her father billionaires? Running a security company seems solidly in the millionaire range. Kate seems to be doing the socialite thing, but until she said she was going to do that housing thing, she seemed pretty disowned and not rich.

I'm pretty sure that, at least in the comic universe, the Kanes are old money just like the Waynes are, so even if Jacob isn't making billions with the Crows, he's got plenty to fall back on. That said, there's not even a Crows in comics, so we know comparatively little about this set of Kanes.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just assuming that it's operating on the same logic that Flash is. STAR Labs hasn't been operational for 6 years now or at least in any profitable manner, and yet Barry and co. never have to worry about money to keep the lights on or upkeep on all their fancy equipment. To quote my main man Todd Howard, "It just works."

Don't forget, you can ignore the giant hole in the side of the building too!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 6, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate that they used Jack Napier again as the Joker's real name. That always seemed like the perfect option if the Joker was going to have a real identity instead of that overhyped Alan Moore "multiple choice" bullshit.

I like the multiple choice thing, but it doesn't work outside of comics I agree. I guess Ledger made it work, but I can't imagine any other actor pulling it off.

howe_sam posted:

Sophie is the worst and somebody should drop a rock on her head.

:agreed:

I know this is gonna end like a gayer Oliver Queen/Tommy Merlyn Arrow season 1 deal but it honestly cannot happen soon enough. I hate all of her and Kate's interactions.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vseslav.botkin posted:

I thought Kate looked cool when she was wearing the costume with no wig/mask.

Yeah she should just switch to a domino mask or something because it's an infinitely better look.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think my only problem with Kate right now is I don't get her motivation for being Batwoman. At the very start of the series it makes total sense because she wants to fight Alice and her dad won't let her be a Crow. She stumbles into the Cave and presto, there's a solution. But that all goes out the window when Jacob offers her a position in the Crows. She doesn't seem to be like Bruce, believing the whole of GCPD (or the Crows) to be corrupt and ineffective, forcing her to take action outside the law (the only time she takes action against non-Alice crime is when it's thrust upon her like when Magpie or Hush broke into Wayne Enterprises to steal their poo poo). It just seems like she's not really committed to the actual stopping crime thing, she's just focused on Beth and only Beth.

Other than that I have no problem with her having a little trouble with fights while adjusting to fighting in a full suit + cape.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was so positive during Elseworlds and before Batwoman's debut that the reason Kate was even Batwoman was to cover for Bruce having died in the line of duty. But it seems like they're gonna stick with this "he's missing" schtick, so gently caress it, he'll probably show up in season 3 or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was all set to complain about how dumb it is for Kate to keep giving Alice more chances but thank god the end seems to be implying she'll finally actually take action.

Also Sophie is still the worst. I think the worst part is the show seems to want us to be supporting this Kate/Sophie romance when it's just plain awful.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I am actively rooting for them to patch things up and get back together because Sophie is an equally awful person and it’s going to blow rotten chunks if/when she hooks up with Kate, so her and Tyler being together is like it’s own little Awful Person Containment Unit keeping them from inflicting their shittiness on other people. Because they utterly deserve one another at this point.

Tyler seems like an okay (if boring) guy who just wanted to get married but then stumbled rear end backwards into a CW show. Poor bastard.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

So why was Luke acting as butler but almost half naked?

I like to imagine that it was like, his day off. If only because that lets me imagine that in another universe, Alfred answers the door at Wayne Manor in sweatpants and slippers every other Saturday.

VVV: oh yeeaaahhh guess that doesn't make much sense huh

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know the CW shows have never been good at showing the characters having any sort of civilian life but my eyes got dangerously close to rolling out of my head when hacker girl immediately recognized Kate and talked about her like she's some LGBT icon because she passes by her real estate firm that she just started like two episodes ago (which is weird because it seems like she's still operating out of Bruce Wayne's office? I guess maybe there's a big Kane Realty sign on the side of Wayne Tower now) and started talking about how she's a big lesbian CEO under 30*. Like, I get that they're trying to make Kate Kane a little more well known, like Bruce Wayne is (pretty sure comics Kate is a famous socialite like Bruce though it's been a while since I've read her in a non team book) but I feel like this version of Kate should elicit more of a Luthor-Flash "I have no idea who you are" moment.

*sadly I can buy that there are probably so few lesbian CEOs under 30 that Kate's hardly-a-business is newsworthy by virtue of existing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I think Crisis kind of implied Oliver's hands are clean of the consequences of Earth Prime with the whole "I spark the fire, you fan the flames" thing.

"Kate subconsciously wished to have Beth back but internalized Alice as her enemy who has ruined her life so that's how Earth Prime worked it" kinda works for me. If that's how it plays out.

Supergirl seemed to imply a bunch of wormholes opened all over Earth dumping random duplicates from other Earths so maybe that's it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

If i had to guess, Mouse will off Alice and there will be some super sad scene between Kate and her as she dyes and that turns Kate full Batwoman.

I'm still positive the Sophie plot is gonna end basically identically to Tommy Merlyn and Oliver from Arrow S1 only gayer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna turn out that alt-Beth is Batwoman on her Earth

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I have a bad feeling about that kitty's continued existence

as you should!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alice is approaching Diaz levels of "already won". No way she's losing the Beth-off

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 27, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm still confused as to exactly HOW Mouse was able to track Kate when she was on the way to suiting up as Batwoman. I will say that Beth pretending to be Alice for the trade off was a nice touch.

Well Mouse does know that Kate is Batwoman. And it probably doesn't take a rocket scientist to extrapolate where the Bat-bunker is, given that she spends most of her time around there. So they know she'd either be going there or leaving from there as soon as she decided to spring into action. And at that point it only makes sense to catch her on her way there.

Now as for how he intercepted her perfectly, well that's just plot magic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Harley Quinn would probably be a good foil for Kate/Batwoman if not for 1) she’s also become overexposed lately,

Plus even if she did appear, DC/WB has really been pushing her as a hero lately so if anything she'd probably wind up helping Kate and/or becoming a clown Poochie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
good to see that Wayne Tower got its security system from STAR Labs/the Arrowcave

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What are you thinking, Mary? Kate has a long history of bad decisions re: Alice, don't give her another chance to gently caress it up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol gently caress this whole show

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Did you seriously think they were going to get rid of Alice? At the very least they didn't have Sophie kill Beth. And now we get to explore the fallout of Alice coming to terms to with the fact that Kate was willing to let her die.

They introduced a new (or rather, an old) villain in the form of Psycho Dad, and Arrowverse shows don't like to use more than one villain, so I thought maybe there was a chance. Plus Alice dying could make Mouse go (more) nuts, so there's that. There was a chance! :negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That was crappy. Beth was infinitely more likable than Alice. And since when do doppelgangers kill each other? We had like 6 Brainiacs in Supergirl and two Winns. They could have easily had her be both characters.

Tbf both the Brainys and the Winns didn't hang around for long. If they'd stuck around Brainy-Prime and Winn-Prime might've started to exhibit symptoms like Beth & Alice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I know Kate isn't exactly on friendly terms with other heroes (with the exception of Kara) but it felt really awkward that she didn't go for help from Star Labs.

That's comics! ...and comic-related TV shows!

tbf though, unless her and Barry had a long chat off screen during Crisis, she basically knows nothing about him and STAR and the fact that they deal with all sorts of wild poo poo like this all the time. I don't even think the public at large knows that the Flash and people at Star work together, just that Star Labs happens to make stuff like metahuman power dampeners.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

But this is an Arrowverse show, and Batwoman in particular, so probably best to expect the worst possible outcome, like, I dunno, Sophie shoots Alice in an alleyway and the bullet somehow curves and flies across town backwards and strikes Mary dead on the spot.

And then Kate says it's okay and they gently caress

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No, goddammit show, don't you try to make me sympathize with Sophie after her being the worst for so long! :argh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I do not know how to feel about tonight's episode but I will say it sure was interesting, which is more than I can say for drat near the entire show up to this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Both this week's Legends and now Batwoman have featured Mortal Kombat 11 prominently. Did they have some DLC come out that WB's trying to subtly plug?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Super hero media in general really needs to get over the obsession with origin stories. We really don't need to see how every single super hero got into super heroing and how they weren't 100% sure about it at first and they almost gave up but then they realised that they were having a positive effect and decided to stick with it and at first they didn't have their iconic costume but then they got someone to make it for them and originally they didn't tell anyone what they were doing but then they decided to trust some people with their secret and oh my god we've seen this a million times just skip it.

Normally I'd agree because Christ knows we don't need more reminders of Uncle Ben or the Waynes getting shot or Krypton blowing up, but those are heroes everyone knows. Comparatively though, Batwoman is pretty new (I mean even for comic readers she's the newest character to be created I think, isn't she?), so the viewing audience isn't gonna know her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If they had a truly insane budget I'd want every subsequent Hush appearance to have him wearing another Batman actor's face like Rogue One CGI Peter Cushing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I've determined that the quality of any episode is inversely proportional to the amount of/focus on Sophie. Every minute she's in makes everybody stupider and make worse decisions. I'm having a hard time thinking of a character in the Arrowverse I've wanted either dead or gone more than her, other than Diaz, obviously.

Selachian posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Was I the only one expecting Julia's employer to be either Nyssa or Talia al Ghul?

I honestly expected it to be Bruce, or maybe Alfred.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That was in the comics. Luthor wore a k-ring for years until it gave him cancer that eventually killed him.

He got better.

It was in the cartoon too. He got better because Brainiac fixed him from the inside.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

I love that story, but I don't know if this particular universe's League is established enough. Plus without Bruce you lose the betrayal angle that really brings the emotional weight.

You're right about losing the betrayal angle, but I could see it working pretty well as a method to introduce a Bruce to this universe when/if they ever do that. Like, have it start off, Kate & crew are like "How can we stop this?" and then there's a dramatic entrance, Bruce shows up, and says "You can't", bum bum bum, cut to commercial

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 13, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I think season 2 will have a lot to gain by getting rid of Mouse. Actually not focusing just on Alice would also help a lot. If this was a Batman show and the Joker showed up every episode, poo poo would get real boring real quick.

I don't know, I think the last few episodes have worked pretty well with Mouse getting sick of Alice's bullshit. If they both live through the season, I think the future might work well if, like, Mouse goes rogue or something. Definitely less Alice overall would be good though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the BSS TV thread

howe_sam posted:

In not entirely surprising news, Superman and Lois is going to premiere next year
https://twitter.com/cwsupermanlois/status/1260994443139670017

This is relevant to this thread because Superman & Lois will crossover with Batwoman in a mini-event next year. I'm assuming it'll have something to do with why the Batsuit is weak to kryptonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Luke as Batwing is the obvious choice but then, Iron Man suits are a little pricey CGI wise and CW tries to avoid those, case in point the Atom suit.